PDA

View Full Version : Hush (Mike Flanagan)

TGM
07-11-2016, 01:49 AM
HUSH

Director: Mike Flanagan

imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5022702/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e3/Hush_2016_poster.jpg

TGM
07-11-2016, 01:51 AM
With both this and Oculus now under his belt, Mike Flanagan is quickly proving himself to be one of the most compelling and most inventive new horror directors out there. This was such a great flick, and the sound design in this thing was ingenious. Awesome new take on an otherwise old and tired genre, breathing a whole new life into it in the process. This is a must watch for horror fans, and it's on Netflix right now, too, so definitely check it out.

Henry Gale
09-04-2016, 06:03 AM
This is actually a pretty nice companion piece to the last movie I happened to watch -- and current #1 movie in North America two weeks in a row -- Don't Breathe.

Each premise builds themselves around different missing senses at the center of them, and here it's with a sympathetic lead instead of the antagonist, but both involve trying to escape an isolated house while navigating a very finite set of options and visual/auditory elements to each other's advantages towards survival. Hush is more straight horror than Don't Breathe's more varied thriller-hybrid, but I like 'em both! And hey, throw in 10 Cloverfield Lane for the John Gallagher, Jr. connection and we got a nice pseudo-trilogy stew brewing!

And I gotta agree, between Oculus in this, Flanagan might even make this upcoming sequel to Ouija he's directing something worth seeing. (A prediction I'll also gladly back down from.)

Irish
09-05-2016, 12:24 AM
My biggest beef with this is that it doesn't leverage it's premise well. The fact that she's deaf and he's not has little to no effect on the action. Mostly it plays like 1,000 other "women in danger" films made from the late 70s through the early 80s, but somehow less so. Flannagan has created a slasher without the slashing and exploitation without the exploit. What was the point?

Henry Gale
09-05-2016, 01:24 AM
I agree to an extent, but I liked that when her deafness and muteness was a key factor in the confrontations it usually leaned on the side of being an advantage of unique ingenuity and increased alertness with her other senses (especially towards the end) rather than feeling like a straight-up weakness for her and a potentially cheap and demeaning aspect of a storytelling device as a result, with the film generally having the majority of the action stem from the killer's bravado of the situation instead.

Dukefrukem
10-23-2016, 01:47 AM
This was an excellent home invasion film!

Peng
10-23-2016, 03:21 PM
Mike Flanagan has some chops, and Kate Siegel is appealing in the lead role. But this really should have been a short, even more so than Oculus which actually expanded from one. It's all one hook and nothing else, so what's left is just two people circling around and around, and how expertly it's staged can't hide how thin or padding it feels. Plus, John Gallagher Jr. gets stuck on one fixed "scary" face mode that so does nothing for me.

Dukefrukem
10-23-2016, 05:43 PM
It would have been nice to know the killer's motives too. I think they were trying to imply he was a burglar, but it wasn't really working for me. That's my only complaint.

Peng
10-24-2016, 05:23 AM
I assume he invades homes and kills people for fun without any explicit motive than can be gleaned from the film, just like playing with them and then finishing them off, as heavily implied when Maddie got hold of his weapon and saw marks on it keeping "scores". Flanagan also wants to keep the audience more in the unknown about this (http://www.avclub.com/article/read-hushs-writer-director-elusive-why-horror-film-236468), although he thought up a motive and told the actor.