PDA

View Full Version : Juliet (Pedro Almodóvar)

Grouchy
07-06-2016, 02:53 AM
http://pics.filmaffinity.com/julieta-518304442-large.jpg

Grouchy
07-06-2016, 03:16 AM
Recommended for anyone who can consider himself an Almodóvar fan. It leans heavily towards melodrama at the expense of his comedic side and while it doesn't reach the dramatic heights of something like Talk to Her it never stops being engaging. It might have needed a bit more music, but that's something I didn't even stop to consider until the Chavela Vargas song closed the film. Both lead actresses are spectacular and the transition from one to the other on screen is the filmmaking's peak of brilliance.

Stay Puft
01-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Been a while since I've seen an Almodóvar joint (never did see his last couple films), and I didn't realize how much I miss his brand of cinema, so bright and sensual, bursting with color and melodrama. This is one of the most gorgeous films I've seen all year. I was fine with the amount of music we had, Iglesias doing his usual Herrmann impression, infusing scenes with the appropriate amount of tension and mystery. Almodóvar can really hit those genre beats, and his collaboration with Iglesias continues to prove vital and wonderful. And even in a more restrained mode, as people have been calling this one, Almodóvar's deft cinematic stylings are still thrilling, particularly - as you note - with the way actors switch in and out of roles as the narrative slips around through time.

I'm not sure what to make of the ending, or the abruptness of it. I honestly thought the movie was going to keep going and show the next sequence of events. I was surprised when the credits suddenly started rolling. In retrospect, I think I understand why it ends where it does. I guess I was expecting or just hoping for a big dramatic moment, but that wasn't really the movie's style.

Otherwise, I pretty much loved every minute.

Spinal
02-02-2017, 05:11 AM
Agree with Grouchy that the strength of the film is the continuity between actresses. I fully believed in the character that they created together.

And I also agree with Stay Puft about the strange ending. Almodóvar has been doing this long enough that I'm sure the anticlimax is intentional. However, I have to confess that its purpose was lost on me and left me feeling like this film is going to slip from my mind rather quickly.

Mildest of nays. There's lots of good things here, but I don't think it's up to the director's standard.