PDA

View Full Version : The Shallows (2016, Jaume Collet-Serra)

MadMan
06-27-2016, 05:27 AM
http://gullutube.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Watch-The-shallows-Official-Trailer-GulluTube-950x528.jpg

I have no idea how to add a poll. All I know is that I liked this film a lot. Blake Lively gives a good solid performance and the shark attacks are fast and terrifying. The CGI was more realistic than I expected. Also Sully the Seagull FTW. Good shark movies are always nice to find.

Morris Schæffer
06-27-2016, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing this.

TGM
06-27-2016, 04:02 PM
I believe a new thread has to be made in order to add a poll. There's an option you just have to check off under the main area where you enter the text for your post.

Stay Puft
06-27-2016, 09:22 PM
I believe a new thread has to be made in order to add a poll.

Nope.

TGM
06-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Nope.

Ah! Wasn't aware of that option. Thanks!

MadMan
06-28-2016, 05:46 AM
I don't see add a poll anywhere. I'm awful at this sort of thing.

TGM
06-28-2016, 03:17 PM
Could a mod perhaps add a poll to the thread?

MadMan
07-10-2016, 07:50 AM
I'm in favor of sharks. Also thanks for adding the poll.

Irish
09-08-2016, 07:56 AM
Good summer movie. Blake Lively sells it.

"Steven" for Best Supporting Seagull.

*** / ****

Morris Schæffer
09-11-2016, 08:48 PM
Why did the sea catch fire when she fired the flare into the water at the end? Decent movie. why did the 2 surfer dudes fail to notice the cut in half drunkard? Well i guess because his corpse had vanished.

Some one or two dumb moments in this. The way the shark dies, well, ok.

Peng
09-12-2016, 03:14 AM
For the first question, it's from the oily stuff (I don't know the proper word) from the whale (indicated by the color reflection she and we see from the water).

Dukefrukem
09-14-2016, 12:04 AM
For the first question, it's from the oily stuff (I don't know the proper word) from the whale (indicated by the color reflection she and we see from the water).

The blubber. It's rich in oil. Unclear if it's flamable without refinery though.

This has been a great year for horror.

transmogrifier
09-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Cheap and silly, with an infuriating lack of spatial and temporal consistency - things seem close and then miles away and then back again with each cut, and the rock basically bobs up and down in the water given how often the water level changes from shot to shot. The attempt at providing a character back story (and thus totally unneeded motivation and chance for her to feel sorry for herself) is so half-arsed, it's almost avant-garde in its perfunctory yadda-yadda you-know-the-drill info dump.

And why not have drunk guy go get the the surfboard and get back unharmed to illustrate the random uncaring nature of, well, nature, rather than turning it into yet another one-dimensional psycho revenge thriller? Sharks got shading too, you know....

Ezee E
09-15-2016, 03:16 AM
Moments of good, moments of buffoonery... The elements of nature are all pretty well executed, be it the pain caused by rocks, coral, or powerful waves. I actually wonder how much pain it was for Lively to climb onto the rocks and deal with the element while shooting. It does kind of repeat its elements of pain with the same technique over and over again with an underwater shot matched with audio queue and slow-motion, which kind of gets tiresome.

There is a genuine nod to the Millennial generation with a search for adventure, need for connection/isolation, and impressing/withdrawing from parents that actually works because the movie doesn't harp on it too much, just kind of loses it with the final scene is all.

The Seagull is an especially nice addition, and Blake does a very good job leading the entire movie on her own.

Irish
09-16-2016, 01:40 AM

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/cam-rewind-shows-unknowing-dawn-patrollers-as-a-large-shark-leaps-into-the-morning-sun-watch-shark-breaches-be_141630/

holy shit. each one of those little black dots is a person a surfboard. now watch the goddamn shark break out of the water behind them.

Dukefrukem
09-16-2016, 12:35 PM
Yeh that's fucked. I thought those were seals at first.

Grouchy
04-02-2018, 10:25 PM
why did the 2 surfer dudes fail to notice the cut in half drunkard? Well i guess because his corpse had vanished.
I also noticed this. Maybe they meant to imply that the tide took him but it was poorly done. I agree with trans that the whole drunkard scene would have worked better if he just stole her possessions and left.

Overall a decent thriller, somewhat brought down by the sub-Gravity existential conflict of the lead.