PDA

View Full Version : X-Men: Apocalypse (Bryan Singer)

Peng
05-19-2016, 05:02 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8H7YCpxQW60/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAHe0/vfvXZ0naeRE/s0-c-k-no-ns/photo.jpg

Peng
05-19-2016, 05:12 PM
Some big, messy problems, but one clear thought after when comparing it to other superhero mash-ups thus far: Bryan Singer is a legit director. The Russos balance elements well and have deft characterization, but their directorial flair and weight feel lacking a bit (although they improve considerably towards Civil War's end). Snyder can compose some pretty, almost-mythic images, but is shit at storytelling and characterization that would make those images have meaning or be impactful.

Throughout his superhero films, Singer often has the good qualities of both directors while keeping the flaws to a minimum. Apocalypse is a mixed bag though. Good things first: this thing has some serious scope and scale, unafraid to aim and go big (sometimes even goofily so) in term of how global the repercussions can feel or how deep the traumas of these X-Men can run. And for the most part, Singer and the actors, both war-weary veterans and energetic new faces, nail it.

Two big problems, however. First, the scope might be a bit too big for one feature film to portray the events effectively without feeling rushed. And I still think this problem wouldn't feel so prominent or matter that much if not for the second one: this being a prequel to the original X-Men films. The scope this big needs to go all in, but there are a few events that have yet to come and some characters that must not be moved too much from their eventual trajectories. That creates some serious liabilities and digressions, especially towards the end, accompanying by a deflating feeling from the film stepping back from the scale it has established. I like to imagine one of the reasons they are going to space in the next one is that there might be more freedom to move the story around without affecting the path towards the original films too much.

So, very mild yay. I'm still fairly positive on the film than most people would be, I think, because I find Singer a great superhero director, and because I also really love the middle section, where chaos reigns and the film has to rely mostly on the new cast. Winning performances all around, and it's great to see their dynamics develop over time.

PS. Quicksilver has another signature superpower scene I love even more than the DOFP one, which I thought wasn't possible.

Dukefrukem
05-19-2016, 08:47 PM
How does Wolverine fit into this story if it's a prequel to the original X-Men films?

Henry Gale
05-20-2016, 01:20 AM
How does Wolverine fit into this story if it's a prequel to the original X-Men films?

Pretty sure the less you think about this, the better. Or at least just use the Mad Max philosophy of each movie only needing the continuity it needs for the story at hand and working better for it.

Days of Future Past's timeline was already something of an alternate one that assumed nothing in The Last Stand other than the deaths of Scott and Jean happened, and even then you can just interpret that they just died in the war. I mean, Logan stopping the Trask events in the '70s directly related to their dystopia brought them back to life! Plus we never saw the slow build in the sentinels' power up until that point in the previous films, so just assume Trask never existed the same way in Singer's original two films and his third was something new.

Just go with this for Apocalypse: Same timeline as First Class and Xavier & co's perspective of DoFP, but a new one for Wolverine as far as we've known him, in this one he might not even be aware of what happened in Days of Future Past despite his body physically pushed along to the events here (think of it like his body was possessed). Either way, fresh start, from his perspective he meets the team members here instead of through Rogue in 2000's X-Men, even if everyone who knew him in Future Past might have other things to say.

Skitch
05-20-2016, 01:22 AM
Wow, I am surprisingly okay with that reasoning.

Milky Joe
05-20-2016, 02:38 AM
Nice explanation.

Peng
05-20-2016, 03:54 AM
Oh shit, I was so tired after the film when I wrote that that I somehow blanked out on DOFP changing the timeline at the end, but yeah, I should rephrase based on what I saw. It feels like some vague trajectory of the original X-Men films is still mostly there, just mainly minus The Last Stand. There is too much a feeling of pieces moving into place for some dynamics or plot points from the first two X-Men, so they didn't entirely disregard those films. Still, timeline being changed seems to allow them some wiggle room not for it to be a strict set-up, because I was wondering a few times during Apocalypse along the line of "Huh, are the characters supposed to have this interaction together, know this thing, and/or show this power by now?"

So, in essence, very vague prequel to the first two X-Men films. So Henry Gale's explanation kinda works too.

To answer Duke, it's a cameo appearance that doesn't contradict the "vague prequel" status too much... I think.

Adding to the possible headache, even if the timeline makes sense, the actors' ages in relation to it surely don't, lol. Prepare for some cognitive dissonance.

transmogrifier
05-20-2016, 02:32 PM
Do you all tolerate these timeline contortions because you're comic book fans? As a non-comics reader, it's a huge turn off.

Dukefrukem
05-20-2016, 02:40 PM
Do you all tolerate these timeline contortions because you're comic book fans? As a non-comics reader, it's a huge turn off.

I think Fox is just trying to do their best after not having a real plan or strategy after X3: Last Stand. Compared to BV, it annoys the shit out of me because it seems so easy to do in comic-book land.

I wonder if 8 has any info on whether or not they are trying to setup their cinematic universe beyond "the next X-Men movie". Like, what are their REAL long term plans with Deadpool and Wolverine? I read recently they are thinking of casting a Wolverine replacement as X-23. That would rule. But they dont give us anything to look forward to.

And god forbid they continue to ignore and squander the most powerful super villain on Marvel's paper.

Peng
05-20-2016, 03:44 PM
I am a non-comic reader. I'm not tolerating as much as fascinated (and thrilled that they mostly pull it off) by the filmmaker's attempts to push forward without outright rebooting. I would be turn off more by reboots since they're so prevalent these days.

Henry Gale
05-20-2016, 03:52 PM

I dunno, maybe I just don't care that much? If it's continuity within the film at hand doesn't work, then sure, it's irksome, but beyond that, if it's emotionally compelling, I'm not going to let myself over-think it to ruin that. I know this is the complete opposite of what the MCU has trained our brains to do with modern superhero movies, but I kind of admire Singer, Kinberg & co. just going "Fuck it, what do we actually want to happen here?", unrestricted by what's already been done.

It might also come from the fact that one of my biggest turn-offs with prequels is knowing certain things can't end up detrimentally different from what we already know, so the fact that these more recent X-Men movies clearly have no real desire to sync up perfectly with the original trilogy is much more interesting to me and freeing from a storytelling point of view.

transmogrifier
05-20-2016, 04:00 PM
I dunno, maybe I just don't care that much? If it's continuity within the film at hand doesn't work, then sure, it's irksome, but beyond that, if it's emotionally compelling, I'm not going to let myself over-think it to ruin that.

But none of it is. None of it. The X-Men series or the MCU. It's all just nonsense. But at least the MCU has a game plan that may pay off eventually. The X-Men series is a mess.

Peng
05-20-2016, 04:20 PM
Well, you should have told me that before I went and watched it. I just wasted 2.5 hours deluding myself I was being emotionally compelled. http://awardswatch.com/forums/images/smilies/smileys/cry.gif

Henry Gale
05-20-2016, 05:10 PM
But none of it is. None of it. The X-Men series or the MCU. It's all just nonsense. But at least the MCU has a game plan that may pay off eventually. The X-Men series is a mess.

I think this is the issue. As much as things have undeniably changed with the increased serialization of big-budget filmmaking, I still think it's best to go with committing to each movie (as an audience, anyway) as its own fully-formed, self-supported thing to assess instead of sitting in a hammock between a bigger beginning and end.

If you're looking for Marvel Studios' to all to lead somewhere but haven't already felt fulfilled by each movie on their own terms and aren't moved by anything they offer in the moment, then I can't imagine any destination (which I don't see either of them or X-Men having in any clear terms in even the foreseeable decade other than with stars and certain key players behind the scenes moving on from the properties) magically elevating everything that's come before.

All I know is that I can't deny Days of Future Past and Guardians of the Galaxy are among the few recent blockbusters that moved me to tears (in the same summer, even!) so I can safely say I don't need what comes next to them to justify those emotions in any way.

Well, you should have told me that before I went and watched it. I just wasted 2.5 hours deluding myself I was being emotionally compelled. http://awardswatch.com/forums/images/smilies/smileys/cry.gif

Haha, exactly. Like shit, now I gotta tell the pre-teen me he was an idiot for liking Singer's first two movies because their continuity would be betrayed in over a decade.

Stay Puft
05-20-2016, 10:36 PM
I thought the whole point of DOFP was to reboot the whole thing. Like, brand new timeline now, none of the other films matter. The one thing I do remember them going out of their way to explain is that Wolverine won't remember events from DOFP in the new timeline because his consciousness returns to the "future" (hence the "welcome back" scene with Xavier).

It's kinda weird that they're apparently not doing that? I mean it's still Bryan Singer, it's still the First Class cast, so I guess it makes sense it's not a complete reboot or something but... yeah I can't help but feel anything less is just asking for trouble. I think it's time to ditch this creative team. I've enjoyed the work they've done here (for the most part) and I loved what DOFP brought to everything as a reflexive, nostalgic piece of franchise reflection, but trying to force a "cinematic universe" out of this hot mess is a mistake. I'll admit, even I'm tired of it. It's stale.

We've seen what Singer & co. are capable of and frankly it remains lacking in so many ways that I'm starting to sympathize with the comic nerds. I want (and I feel we really need) a completely new cinematic interpretation of this stuff (especially if Fox is going for a MCU thing). Reboot the whole thing and start from scratch. Build a strong foundation and grow it from there.

I say all of this having not seen Apocalypse, of course. Maybe I'll still enjoy it. I hope so. But I doubt it will change how I feel about the current overall state of this franchise. It needs fresh blood.

Peng
05-21-2016, 02:35 AM
It's kinda weird that they're apparently not doing that? I mean it's still Bryan Singer, it's still the First Class cast, so I guess it makes sense it's not a complete reboot or something but... yeah I can't help but feel anything less is just asking for trouble.

I might be overstating it since I had a major brain fart while writing about it, because DOFP definitely did a soft, sort-of reboot. But still, without me getting too much into Apocalypse, the ending of DOFP also means that Wolverine is in possession of someone, still on a path to that school, his dynamics with Scott and Jean Grey are still the same, etc. So a very vague timeline from the first two films remain.

transmogrifier
05-21-2016, 05:47 AM

It's two and a half hours long? Jeez...

transmogrifier
05-21-2016, 05:52 AM
I think this is the issue. As much as things have undeniably changed with the increased serialization of big-budget filmmaking, I still think it's best to go with committing to each movie (as an audience, anyway) as its own fully-formed, self-supported thing to assess instead of sitting in a hammock between a bigger beginning and end.

If you're looking for Marvel Studios' to all to lead somewhere but haven't already felt fulfilled by each movie on their own terms and aren't moved by anything they offer in the moment, then I can't imagine any destination (which I don't see either of them or X-Men having in any clear terms in even the foreseeable decade other than with stars and certain key players behind the scenes moving on from the properties) magically elevating everything that's come before. .

I watch them for the action and the jokes, pretty much. I'll watch Thor 3 because I want Waititi to do well. The possibility of it paying off is just something that I kid myself that might happen. All I know is that my ass felt every second of the speechifying in The Avengers 2 and CA3, and it's getting clunkier and more stodgy each time all of them get together. The best bets are now the movies in the sidelines doing their own things (Antman, GotG).

X-Men, though, has always just been kind of cut-rate and messy, not very funny, and kinda one-note.

Dukefrukem
05-21-2016, 11:54 AM
. I think it's time to ditch this creative team. I've enjoyed the work they've done here (for the most part) and I loved what DOFP brought to everything as a reflexive, nostalgic piece of franchise reflection, but trying to force a "cinematic universe" out of this hot mess is a mistake. I'll admit, even I'm tired of it. It's stale.

We've seen what Singer & co. are capable of and frankly it remains lacking in so many ways that I'm starting to sympathize with the comic nerds. I want (and I feel we really need) a completely new cinematic interpretation of this stuff (especially if Fox is going for a MCU thing). Reboot the whole thing and start from scratch. Build a strong foundation and grow it from there.

Start an online petition and let's get this ball moving.

Dukefrukem
05-24-2016, 07:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8BobmZglOk

Dukefrukem
05-25-2016, 12:30 PM
Welp. I know I said I wasn't gonna see this but... it's a holiday weekend and I figured wtf.

Watashi
05-26-2016, 06:06 AM
I liked it.

Apocalypse is goofy. He never comes off as threatening and his horsemen do absolutely nothing (seriously, why is Psylocke in this?). The whole film feels like a live-action adaptation of the 90's show, so if that was your jam as a kid (like it was for me), you'll dig it.

Also, Fassbender gives his all in this franchise. He is way too good for this.

Henry Gale
05-27-2016, 03:33 AM
Honestly, instantly my third favourite of the whole series.

It's definitely a bit scrappy and its visual ambition feels a bit beyond its reach considering even with all the money and imagination here, its runtime and effects seems a bit overwhelmed by everything it's looking to get across, but it still all worked for me surprisingly strongly for me despite seeing it is on the messy side (but I'll say what I usually do, which is that messes are mostly made up of stuff that matters) and agreeing with Wats that Apocalypse himself never really feels as vicious and intimidating as he should, though I think that's mainly a physical appearance / lack of dominance thing, since his threatening ultimatum and the extent of his powers are more than clear and devastating. Isaac is good in the role, and everything he does has the right scarily realized motive behind it, but when the camera cuts to him, particularly against other characters, he just kind of feels static on screen.

Whatever though, since I thought the movie was really good otherwise. Not sure why this of all recent big movies or even this franchise has seemingly divided people so strongly, since to me for all its blemishes it's still endlessly more exciting and emotionally stirring than anything in the series other than maybe the last one and X2 for me.

But those lowered expectations might've done just the trick to impress me as much as it did. More thoughts later, but for now: Thumbs up.

Dukefrukem
05-27-2016, 12:49 PM
Honestly, instantly my third favourite of the whole series.

Not really saying much though right? There's 8 X-Men movies (3 worth watching again). 9 if you include Deadpool. It's automatically going to be better than Origins, First Class and X3. Which starts it off at 5.

Now we just need to figure out where it sits between The Wolverine (disliked), DOFP (hated) and the original X-Men (loved).

So before I even see the movie, I'm assuming it's going to be somewhere in my top 3.

[/cynical Duke]

Henry Gale
05-27-2016, 03:21 PM
I mean, why not:

X2 / Days of Future Past (I can go back and forth with them, but the former is what put in place most of the emotional groundwork for the latter to pay off and send off pretty perfectly a decade later for me
Apocalypse
X-Men
First Class (though its early X-Men Origins: Magneto-type scenes might be some of the best stuff in the whole series)
-------
The Wolverine
Deadpool
The Last Stand
Origins: Wolverine

transmogrifier
05-27-2016, 09:12 PM
Deadpool is better than any X-Men movie.

Henry Gale
05-28-2016, 01:53 AM
Deadpool is better than any X-Men movie.

I mean, for me it's just way too obnoxiously self-satisfied, way less original than it thinks it is (thinly disguised with all its fourth-wall breaking, shuffled narrative tricks, and sub-Seth MacFarlane-level reference-comedy), and just generally shallow dudebro cinema at its most unfiltered. I thought it had its moments, but its gag success ratio was probably one laugh for every ten attempts (most of which elicited a quiet "ugh").

X-Men movies even at their worst stick to their convictions and commit to telling their stories with style, from a unique oppressed worldview, and maintain an affable personality. Deadpool basically doesn't have any of those.

Glad it makes people happy though!

Pass!

Milky Joe
05-28-2016, 05:07 AM
This was awesome. Pretty much lived up to my expectations completely... I could nitpick some things, but what would be the point? If we get an X-Men film like this every couple of years I'd be satisfied.

transmogrifier
05-28-2016, 01:23 PM
X-Men movies....commit to telling their stories with style....

I disagree with pretty much everything, but this is particularly vexing... Style is the absolute last thing I associate with the X-Men movies. They are all a little clunky, a little square, and a lot edited with a chainsaw.

Morris Schæffer
05-28-2016, 06:56 PM
Lol. Yet another oooh soo powerful mega giga villain who is anything but.

Milky Joe
05-28-2016, 08:31 PM
Huh?

Henry Gale
05-28-2016, 11:04 PM
I disagree with pretty much everything, but this is particularly vexing... Style is the absolute last thing I associate with the X-Men movies. They are all a little clunky, a little square, and a lot edited with a chainsaw.

I guess I meant (at least relegating these thoughts to Singer's X-Men movies) style from an aesthetic design point of view, with camera movement and framing choices that suites the material and observes its space and characters well.

Deadpool just felt like a drab, pedestrian eyesore in those respects to me, as if anything that wasn't pre-vis'd action scenes was shot by a nervous, time-crunched second unit. The best I can say about it is that the costumes looked good and some of the physical gags made me laugh.

Dukefrukem
05-30-2016, 12:14 PM
I wanted to like this. I tried to like it.

Pros:
Apocalypse origin is fine
Fassbender. Nightcrawler. Wolverine. Quicksilver: All handled well.
Quicksilver has the most humor and the best scene in the film (again).
X-Force / X-23 tease at the end of the end credit scene?

Cons:
The film is lifeless and dry; just moves from once scene to another. Humorless (with the exception of the quicksilver scene).
Psylocke/Olivia Munn: Why was she in this movie? For that one trailer shot?
Apocalypse is immortal in the comics. But in the movie he's dispatched rather easily.
Jubilee was supposed to be in this... so why wasn't she?
For the first time since X2, we finally have mutant vs mutant fights. The only problem is, after coming on the heels of Batman v Superman and Civil War, the fights are extremely underwhelming.

Everything Morris said here

Lol. Yet another oooh soo powerful mega giga villain who is anything but.

1. X-Men
2. Deadpool
------- Suck Line
3. Days of Future Past
4. Apocalypse
5. X2
6. First Class
7. The Wolverine
8. The Last Stand
9. Origins: Wolverine

Was that the phoenix force taking over Jean Gray?

Milky Joe
05-30-2016, 07:20 PM
1. DOFP
2. X2
3. Apocalypse
4. X-Men
---
5. Origins
6. The Wolverine
7. First Class

8. X3

Watashi
05-30-2016, 08:06 PM
Was that the phoenix force taking over Jean Gray?

Did you not watch the movie?

Milky Joe
05-30-2016, 08:54 PM
I don't think he has ever watched an X-Men movie.

Dukefrukem
05-30-2016, 09:47 PM
Did you not watch the movie?

Was this supposed to be more obvious or something?

Milky Joe
05-30-2016, 11:23 PM
It couldn't have been more obvious.

Dukefrukem
05-31-2016, 12:42 AM
The giant red bird. I get it. Jeeze.

Ivan Drago
05-31-2016, 04:21 AM
The action is fun and some of the new casting choices are great (I especially loved Tye Sheridan and Sophie Turner as Cyclops and Jean Grey), but good lord, is this movie uneven. The attempt at Avengers-style snark falls flat at almost every joke, heck, the one inspired dramatic moment in the middle of the movie is ruined by another lame stab at comedy. Plus I was curious as to what the new characters would do outside of the action sequences (Jubilee and Psylocke RULED in the cartoon), but they're given absolutely nothing. Also I get the complaints about Apocalypse being a cartoonish villain, but the X-Men movies have always been on the comic-booky side of cheese. But what does bother me is that he's basically another Ultron. This was a letdown.

Peng
05-31-2016, 12:17 PM
Didn't watch Origins.

1. Days of Future Past
2. X2: United
3. X-Men: First Class
4. X-Men
5. X-Men: Apocalypse
6. The Wolverine
7. X-Men: The Last Stand
8. Deadpool

Dukefrukem
05-31-2016, 07:20 PM
Hah. I dont think Psylocke has a single line in the whole movie.

Henry Gale
05-31-2016, 10:22 PM
Between these two:

Jubilee was supposed to be in this... so why wasn't she?

Hah. I dont think Psylocke has a single line in the whole movie.

I gotta refer back to Watashi's question.

Jubilee doesn't use her powers and Psylocke doesn't have much dialogue (and if you watch certain trailers, it seems like even some of her action was cut), but they're definitely there.

Dukefrukem
06-01-2016, 01:34 AM
That was supposed to be tongue and cheek. As in, Jubilee was in the movie, but she does absolutely nothing. And Psylocke literally just walks off screen at the end of her "purpose".

Wryan
06-01-2016, 07:53 PM
Aye, this be rocky, but I had some fun with it. Didn't like it as much as DoFP, maybe just a touch below FC for me. I think the Xavier/Erik relationship continues to be the hearty throughline in the whole thing, so it baffles me when they try to push Wolverine or Mystique to the front. McAvoy and Fassbender remain committed as hell. Isaac glowers resplendently under burn victim makeup, but I would have liked just a little more oomph--or perhaps oomph that wasn't dependent on voice alteration. He comes and goes within one movie, so he doesn't feel like a heavy presence or threat despite the ancient pedigree and world-ending promises, which is a shame given his stature. The only sequence that earned sustained laughter from me was Quicksilver's--along with Kurt, Quicksilver has the best time, seemingly the only ones having fun as well. The whole thing lacks verve. It's a step down and back.

Morris Schæffer
06-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Shockingly kickass and epic. I was aware of the so-so reviews, and I had a vague feeling of disinterest, thinking I was done with the X-Men. Well, it was unexpectedly thrilling and memorable to reconnect with these fellas. It has some of the same issues as Captain America: Civil War in that certain characters do horrid things, but because they redeem themselves those horrid things, like destroying half of Egypt, are tossed aside cuz hey he's allright!

I appreciated the general lack of mayhem before the grand finale, some scenes have a quietly understated power (That scene in the forest!) and I thought it was good for a change that we actually see some blood and damage done!

So yeah, well done!

transmogrifier
06-12-2016, 10:08 PM
Apocalypse spends most of the movie basically being a recruiter.

Ezee E
06-18-2016, 02:34 PM
Does nothing to separate itself from other movies, and Apocalypse may be the lamest villain to lead an X-Men movie. There's nothing to separate this from the previous movies as the highlights seem like they've all been done (and better) in other X-Men movies.

A new direction is needed here, and I hope it's not the Phoenix saga (unless it goes to space). My idea would be to use Genosha or the Savage Land.

Ezee E
06-18-2016, 02:36 PM
Mister Sinister would be the ideal next villain, but to learn from Apocalypse, I think a different direction in his look would need to be done.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/x-men/images/b/b8/Xmen2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20101014042547

Just loling at this in live action.

Dukefrukem
06-18-2016, 05:23 PM
I think there's real talks about making the next movie set in the cosmos. The problem with doing that is they haven't set a baseline like Marvel has with GotG and Thor.

Ezee E
06-18-2016, 05:24 PM
I think there's real talks about making the next movie set in the cosmos.

Add the Brood, but instead of having it be Brood, just do a Xenomorph crossover. X-Men VS. Aliens

Stay Puft
06-21-2016, 06:03 PM
I had a vague feeling of disinterest, thinking I was done with the X-Men. Well, it was unexpectedly thrilling and memorable to reconnect with these fellas.

Yeah, that's where I ended up.

I suppose there is still enough nostalgic value for me in the brand (including these movies, which take me as far back as high school) that I still enjoyed just spending time with these characters again. It's not a great movie, and the many messy problems have been well articulated throughout the thread, but I will also agree with Peng in that, even given my reservations with him as a director in general, Bryan Singer is still more accomplished than most who take up these Marvel franchise projects and I appreciate his (however little of it there is) style vis a vis say the Russo Bros (for all of the great action choreography in the Captain America films, I much prefer the way Singer films e.g. the Weapon X sequence).

I had fun. But! I also agree with Ezee E about the diminishing returns. I was thinking about that a few times during the film. So it didn't really change how I felt about the franchise overall, which is to say, it still absolutely needs new blood and a new direction. Get some new creative on it, take it into outer space, fuck it just go wild, maybe they'll cook up something genuinely great. Maybe not, I dunno.

DavidSeven
07-14-2016, 06:03 PM
More like X-Men: First Draft.

As in, this whole movie feels like someone's first draft, and no one bothered to polish the dialogue or refine the characters. Everyone fills familiar roles and says exactly what the plot requires them to say in the most forthright manner possible. In spite of an A+ cast, I found the performances wooden, and paired with the purely functional dialogue, this movie had the feeling of a 90s Saturday morning teen show. A veneer of amateurism and falsity over the whole thing. The Quicksilver stuff definitely works, and the ending is admittedly pretty rousing, but there's a tackiness to everything else, including most of the VFX. This movie was clearly put together too quickly, probably intending to capitalize on the global success of Days of Future Past. The result is a commercial product that feels rushed to market without the proper QC. Next time, if there really must be another, let the thing marinate for a damn second.

Irish
07-20-2016, 02:33 PM
I found this terrifically boring.

TGM
07-20-2016, 05:24 PM
You're forgiven for not knowing who Jubilee was in the movie:

http://www.widemovie.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/X-Men-Apocalypse-Movie-Jubilee.jpg

I doubt if she was even in it for five seconds total, and honestly can't remember if she even said anything or if her name was even mentioned. The only reason we really even know it's her is because of the trademark yellow jacket that she's known for wearing, though.

Skitch
07-21-2016, 12:08 PM
Anytime I start liking these movies too much, I just rewatch the first season of the 90s animated series to remind myself how disappointing the film series is.

Dukefrukem
07-21-2016, 12:09 PM
I wonder if we'll hear anything from comic con about the future of the X-men franchise.

Dukefrukem
10-11-2016, 06:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2U0PgGtzM8

Melville
11-07-2016, 06:20 PM
Wow, what a mess. I didn't think this was a whole lot better than X3. Too many ideas jumbled together, dull villain, clumsy and contrived character motivations, and altogether irrelevant characters. Even potentially cool scenes like the Weapon X bit felt shoehorned in, poorly choreographed, and flaccidly edited. The saving grace was the Quicksilver scene.

First Class
X2
DOFP
X1
The Wolverine
Apocalypse
X3

Dukefrukem
11-07-2016, 07:45 PM
Wow, what a mess. I didn't think this was a whole lot better than X3. Too many ideas jumbled together, dull villain, clumsy and contrived character motivations, and altogether irrelevant characters. Even potentially cool scenes like the Weapon X bit felt shoehorned in, poorly choreographed, and flaccidly edited. The saving grace was the Quicksilver scene.

First Class
X2
DOFP
X1
The Wolverine
Apocalypse
X3

And X-men Origins: Wolverine being ranked dead last correct?

Melville
11-07-2016, 08:27 PM
And X-men Origins: Wolverine being ranked dead last correct?
Never saw that one. But morbid curiosity is making me want to watch it to see its treatment of the Wolverine-throughout-20th-century-history idea, which had the potential to be great.

megladon8
05-12-2017, 03:05 AM
About halfway through this and having a hard time believing how bad it is.

Grouchy
01-28-2018, 06:10 AM
Wow, the writing for these things has really gone down the drain. I couldn't believe how supremely stupid the dialogue was. I'm not expecting Mamet or Tarantino, but come on.

Quicksilver's signature scene is the best bit, and that's just a remake of the scene they already did in the last one. Apocalypse is as powerful as any given scene needs him to be. He either can kill people instantly with magic sand or he can't. Get it straight, movie.

Also, Storm never uses her powers once. And why is Nightcrawler roaring at the end? Like, roaring is not a Nightcrawler thing to do, right?

1. X2
2. Days of Future Past
3. Logan
4. Deadpool
5. X-Men
6. First Class
7. The Wolverine
8. Apocalypse
9. The Last Stand
10. Wolverine: Origins

What was the t-shirt Quicksilver was wearing on the scene where he's on the basement playing Pac-Man?

EDIT: It was this one.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/p8IAAOSwKfVXKJau/s-l300.jpg

MadMan
01-30-2018, 06:00 AM
Despite its faults, I liked this movie. Oscar Isaac was completely wasted, though, and J-Law has not been good as Mystique since First Class. I do anticipate the next film, but only if there is more Jubilee.

PS: Quicksilver is the best thing about the new films. Also I still need to see The Wolverine.

Dukefrukem
01-16-2019, 09:15 PM
Don't ask me why....

But this was on FX yesterday... and I caught the opening. They free fall inside the pyramid for 36 seconds.

I calculated that's over 6000 meters or 20,000 feet, almost 4 miles they would have have to dug to make that tomb.

I suppose if Apocalypse made the pyramids, that would be possible, but why would he build that kind of trap in his own pyramid?

Dead & Messed Up
02-10-2019, 02:16 AM
Don't ask me why....

But this was on FX yesterday... and I caught the opening. They free fall inside the pyramid for 36 seconds.

I calculated that's over 6000 meters or 20,000 feet, almost 4 miles they would have have to dug to make that tomb.

I suppose if Apocalypse made the pyramids, that would be possible, but why would he build that kind of trap in his own pyramid?

This observation is worthy of Roger Ebert, who once calculated how fast Brendan Fraser had to be running to match pace with the rising sun.

Kudos.

Dukefrukem
04-29-2020, 04:38 PM
Anyone read this interview? This is so bizarre.

Instead of going to a doctor in Montreal, which is a very high-level, working city, he said he had to go to L.A. And he was gone for about 10 days is my recollection. And he said, “Continue. Keep filming.” We’d be on set, I remember there’s a big scene that we’d have, and we’d come back from lunch and then one of Bryan’s assistants would come up and show us a cell phone with a text message on it.

And he texted to the actors, “Hey guys. I’m busy right now. But just go ahead and start filming without me.” And we’d be like, “OK.” And I never thought any of it was normal, but I didn’t realize that other people also thought it wasn’t normal. And the other people who thought it wasn’t normal would be people at high levels, people who make decisions on whether to hire this person.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/bryan-singer-x-men-apocalypse-missing-1234591813/

Irish
04-29-2020, 04:43 PM
Yeah. I saw that. It's fucking weird.

Weirder still is that Singer keeps getting hired, despite his erratic history (and all the rumors / lawsuits around him).

Dukefrukem
04-29-2020, 05:53 PM
Yeah. I saw that. It's fucking weird.

Weirder still is that Singer keeps getting hired, despite his erratic history (and all the rumors / lawsuits around him).

Like... did ANY producer walk on set and wonder... "where's Bryan at?"

Or did they just get complacent based on the success of Days of Future Past and other films?