PDA

View Full Version : Zootopia (Byron Howard, Rich Moore)

Henry Gale
02-26-2016, 05:23 AM
IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2948356/) / Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zootopia)

http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/zootopia-movie-poster.jpg

Henry Gale
02-26-2016, 05:55 AM
OK. First I'll just say I don't think I'd put Zootopia on the tier of the super-impressive and very rewatchable Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, or Big Hero 6 in terms of this recent era of Walt Disney Animation (with Frozen obviously an unimpeachable juggernaut at this point that as much as I feel has its moments, is still very much on the clunky/hollow side overall), BUT this movie is kind of stunning for even existing, and not just for its fantastic animation, boundless and gorgeous design, its voice cast's performances, and so on (and to all those things I'm not sure I have a single caveat), BUT because the core of its story has some huge thematic subtext that slowly bubbles to the surface as it moves along that plunges the whole thing into an allegory I was never expecting in the best and most blindsiding of ways.

The only way to delve further is to go into spoilers just past its visible third act break, and since the movie is still something of a old-school buddy detective story where things/identities only get revealed and then twisted upon from there it's obvious major players aren't going to be who they seem, but let's just say that the plot of the movie that heavily plays into the usual, bigger, "be anything you want" Disney themes here involves the framing of innocent citizens of "predator" biology/descent (any carnivores, essentially) involving a chemical compound / drug that targets these visible minorities of Zootopian society to lose control (reverting them back to their primal, pre-harmoniously-evolved ways), becoming scapegoats for crimes that cause paranoia-driven discourse in society between "predators" and "prey", all for those in power to ultimately profit. There's a bit of dialogue along the lines of: "When the 90% is against the 10%, they don't stand a chance", as well as some other barely subtle references things our real-world does to exotify others in "socially acceptable" ways to quietly oppress marginalized members of society without being seen as outright racist, xenophobic, homophobic, etc. that all made my mouth go kind of agape and made me feel weirdly proud of Disney(?!) for letting it all swirl together into this still-very-crowd-pleasing narrative that just happens to go in pretty dark, beautifully uncomfortable and challenging places. And really, here of all places.

I know this has been in various states of development for years, but how did a big Disney animated release (a March one, no less) manage to torpedo itself so amazingly (and even somewhat cathartically) into such a currently perfect social and political zeitgeist to hold a mirror to? Even if it isn't a perfect and essential movie in the grander scheme of things, it's a pretty remarkably poignant one for the moment.

It's also about talking animals.

Watashi
02-26-2016, 01:10 PM
Wreck-It Ralph is a terrible, terrible film. I tried to give it another chance earlier this year and nope... still sucks.

Henry Gale
02-26-2016, 04:54 PM
Wreck-It Ralph is a terrible, terrible film. I tried to give it another chance earlier this year and nope... still sucks.

http://insidejamarifox.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/3268.gif

But Kanye's random love of it is a genuine thing, and maybe the most adorable thing next to that picture of him eating the ice cream in the car.

Henry Gale
02-28-2016, 01:05 AM
Scott Mendelson sums it up pretty well (http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/02/19/review-zootopia-is-a-new-disney-classic/#2648a21e54ac) in a less spoilery way, and while loving it considerably more than myself.

TGM
03-04-2016, 03:55 AM
Oh my god, this is way way WAY better than either Wreck-it Ralph or Big Hero 6. Like, they're not even comparable. The sheer amount of modern day social and political issues this movie so seamlessly tackles is absolutely astounding! This movie was just completely BRILLIANT, and no hyperbole, may well be one of the most important movies released in this day and age. Love love LOVED it! Possibly my favorite non-musical Disney animated film. This is an absolute MUST see feature film!

TGM
03-04-2016, 06:42 AM
that all made my mouth go kind of agape and made me feel weirdly proud of Disney(?!) for letting it all swirl together into this still-very-crowd-pleasing narrative that just happens to go in pretty dark, beautifully uncomfortable and challenging places. And really, here of all places.

Definitely agree here, though. I was watching this thing just wide-eyed with amazement that this movie was actually going there. In fact, on the drive back home, I had to fight back tears from just thinking about the sheer sincerity and brilliance on display in this movie.

Peng
03-05-2016, 03:07 AM
Seamlessly? There is that one big pause of a muddled metaphor about biology that totally takes me out of the film for a bit. And a few other things.

Agree though that the themes are pretty advanced, and it's lively enough. I must say, though, that I still found the dramatic parts in Disney's second renaissance films somewhat lacking, WRECK-IT RALPH and TANGLED asides (because the former's joyous world/tone rarely slows down the speed for gooey-ness, and the latter is their real 90s musical throwback, completely in execution, not just elements). They are kind of obvious and pandering, with loud drama signifiers and little nuance. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Pixar and Ghibli's approaches, where there is a little bit more real-world feeling to the interactions and dramas of characters.

TGM
03-05-2016, 03:43 AM
What was muddled about it? It's not like it came out of nowhere, it had been organically integrated in the story from the very beginning, and had been well established on a number of occasions as a mindset that had been brought on by her upbringing.

Peng
03-05-2016, 07:04 AM
Not in term of story, but in term of the film trying to tie this biology stuff to the real world themes.

After my initial post I have read some reviews from critics I followed, and Alison Willmore happened to put it best about my huge pause moment:

Zootopia never tries to be that neat, though there is a point at which its metaphors get a little too messy. When a movie that references relevant topics of racial discussion then flips into a plot about the nefarious triggering of uncontrollable biological instincts in unwilling Zootopian citizens, it's a briefly uncomfortable turn. Animals have inarguable biological differences that they've been able to mostly put behind them in Zootopia, but humans being divided up the same way is the stuff of pseudo-scientific racism, no matter how unintended the parallel.

Spinal
03-07-2016, 04:04 PM
"So what's the new Disney cartoon about?"
"A rookie female cop gets fed up with the blatant sexism of police culture and goes renegade, teaming up with a known criminal before exposing her own deep-seeded racism during a high-profile case and leading her city into a prolonged culture war. You know ... for kids!"

TGM
03-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Well, why not for kids?

Watashi
03-07-2016, 05:28 PM
Man, I'm not jelling with this new Disney renaissance. This was okay. The themes are all over the place. I think the filmmakers definitely bit off more than they can chew. The emotional beats don't hit. The pop culture references are lame and offensive. The animation and world-building is nice. I don't know... Tangled was amazing. Big Hero 6 is very good, but I think Disney is trying to go more "BIG IDEAS" rather than just focus on simple storytelling.

Spinal
03-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I liked it all right. But I couldn't shake the feeling that it was a conscious effort to repackage the zeitgeist and sell it back to us. Whereas others seem to be astonished that a Disney film would cover this territory, I think it only seems inevitable. Like when corporations flatter your sense of activism while they are selling their products. "Our products our cruelty-free, environmentally conscious and we are happy to have gay dads as customers ... etc."

Spinal
03-07-2016, 05:48 PM
Oh, and to save you the time:

Mr Big > Spinal

Watashi
03-07-2016, 05:50 PM
The scene with the weasel selling bootlegs of Zootopia-fied Disney movies and upcoming Disney movies is one of the worst instances of Disney sucking their own dick I've seen in a long time.

Ivan Drago
03-07-2016, 07:01 PM
The scene with the weasel selling bootlegs of Zootopia-fied Disney movies and upcoming Disney movies is one of the worst instances of Disney sucking their own dick I've seen in a long time.

That sounds about on-par with this line from Tomorrowland: "Well, zip-a-dee-doo to you." :rolleyes:

I'm excited to see this, but waiting for less crowds.

KK2.0
03-15-2016, 05:17 PM
Surpassing Big Hero 6 isn't much of an effort but reading about this alleged "dark themes" had my curiosity, now i have to watch this in theaters.

transmogrifier
03-20-2016, 09:03 AM
This was good enough. Gorgeous animation and fleet enough (I liked that it was pretty much a buddy-cop mystery piece), but weak on the comedy front and overbearing on the thematic front. Guessed who was behind it all very early on too (though it was really just a guess, not based on anything the film did or did not do).

dreamdead
03-31-2016, 05:06 PM
This is ok. Pleasant enough. Animation was gorgeous.

If anything, it seems to exist as a collection of unconnected scenes that are then collapsed onto one another. The whole sloth business is probably the most egregious. While the first scene made for a great trailer, it's inevitable that his character would end up back in the film again, and so the coda was undone by that sense of a forgone conclusion. And the Shakira business at the end felt needless--where the film's analogy and symbolism overrides narrative cohesion simply because she agreed to be in the film.

I rather like the central cast -- Goodwin and Bateman -- but the plot felt too expansive and kept going past my interest points.

number8
03-31-2016, 06:07 PM
I mean, I like that it went deeper with the racism than just your standard look-past-your-appearances message (though it's kinda weirdly specified to urban American communities, no? Or am I projecting because of where I live? It certainly crossed my mind how these themes played in more homogeneous parts of the world), but really, the reason why I dug it so much is not that, despite me liking the idea of a Disney cartoon that teaches kids how cops are not immune from racism. What really sold me on the movie throughout is how much this feels like an old post-war RKO script that someone dusted up and decided to change into about animals. It's a near perfect cribbing of that kind of movie that hits all the tropes, including the inclusion of racial tension, and I got a massive kick out of that.

MadMan
04-02-2016, 07:27 AM
Marvelous and funny movie that did surprise me with its themes. The trailers didn't give any of that away. I also laughed when the bunny parents told Judy to give up on her dreams. Also Jason Bateman as a fox is pretty spot on casting.

MadMan
04-02-2016, 07:28 AM
Also I laughed at the bootleg movies scene. This film is much better than the merely good at best Big Hero 6.

Philip J. Fry
06-03-2016, 08:19 PM
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z73/Wolf_of_the_Winter/Screenshots/Zootopia_zpsharnwl0o.jpg
You can call her Judy. Call her cutie and you die, though.

Zootopia.
Byron Howard, Rich Moore and Jared Bush, 2016.

A few thoughts:

- Sexism! Racism! Cops can be racist! Everyone can be prejudiced! This is like Crash, but with animals and it isn't a piece of shit. It's in fact really, really good. What I like the most of it is that it does show it's themes in a clear, accessible way without being preachy while trusting it's audience, which would've been easy since this is supposed to be a "kid's movie".

- Animation is great, let's move on.

- Shakira as Gazelle. Perfect casting.

- They should've cast Bryan Cranston as the chemist making the toxin. Huge, huge, huge missed opportunity.

- The sloths were way funnier than I thought they would be.

- Couldn't understand possum Vito Corleone very much.

- I thought the part of the bootlegged Disney movies was pretty funny.

- Not really a criticism, but I miss the Disney that made great, amazing, memorable villains. Not much of a fan of the more recent approach of trying to trick the audience with a surprise villain. This is not their stuff.

- On the other hand, Disney is getting better at drawing their main protagonists and give them an actual arc unlike, well, most of the princesses.

- Zootopia > Frozen > Tangled > Big Hero 6 > Wreck It Ralph. Yeah, I stand by this.

Here's looking at you, carrots: I don't think I have shipped anyone as hard in a Disney movie as I ship Judy and Nick (I have a problem when it comes to shipping animated characters), which is a testament to the gigantic chemistry between Ginnifer Goodwin and Jason Bateman. I wanna see a Zootopia 2 just to see those two bounce of each other more and more.

Final thoughts: Seriously, Judy and Nick. Make it happen, but for realz!!!!

So yeah, I loved this movie.

TGM
06-08-2016, 04:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOIjmLw0iQc

Dukefrukem
06-12-2016, 02:21 AM
I want 37 sequels to this movie. This may be the best Disney movie since the Lion King.

Dukefrukem
06-12-2016, 02:23 AM
Oh my god, this is way way WAY better than either Wreck-it Ralph or Big Hero 6. Like, they're not even comparable. The sheer amount of modern day social and political issues this movie so seamlessly tackles is absolutely astounding! This movie was just completely BRILLIANT, and no hyperbole, may well be one of the most important movies released in this day and age. Love love LOVED it! Possibly my favorite non-musical Disney animated film. This is an absolute MUST see feature film!

Aint even the same fuckin' sport.

100% agree with MUST SEE.

Philip J. Fry
06-18-2016, 03:27 PM
I want 37 sequels to this movie. This may be the best Disney movie since the Lion King.Now that I think about it, it might be, yes.

Philip J. Fry
06-18-2016, 03:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8LxDmtCQ0g

transmogrifier
06-19-2016, 02:01 AM
Now that I think about it, it might be, yes.

The Emperor's New Groove is better than both. Easily.

Dukefrukem
06-27-2016, 07:00 PM
Whoa. This deleted scene took the movie to a really dark place.

https://vimeo.com/167648053

Henry Gale
06-27-2016, 08:23 PM
The crazy thing is the whole collar element stayed in the movie for a very long time. That was just one of endless scenes that dealt with it, and obviously the most indicative that it mayyybe could've told this story without such a relentlessly depressing shadow hanging over even its joyful moments. Apparently Bateman's Nick also ran an illegal club where everyone could party without their collars away from society, which was the original catalyst for him having bargained to stay on the run with Judy.

There are even more rendered versions of that collar mitzvah scene in the Fusion documentary that just look haunting:

(spoilered for size)
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/zootopia/images/1/12/Collar_ceremony.png/revision/latest?cb=20160414002531

https://65.media.tumblr.com/e1affd573ce4d9ab043fa3ae52b29c 50/tumblr_o57aw3uSWd1uy6bfqo4_128 0.png

Philip J. Fry
06-28-2016, 02:11 AM
Poor little polar bear. :(

Philip J. Fry
07-06-2016, 04:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_fcVgUxRwo
Now I'm afraid for Nick's safety.

DavidSeven
07-11-2016, 05:41 PM
Thought this was pretty dang wonderful.

Thematically blunt, yes -- there's no avoiding that given the film's central conceit. I'm more interested in how it explores those issues, and I think the film handles it with surprising intelligence and nuance. It's a bold ass movie, too. Far more daring in its perspective on class/identity/race politics than just about any other major U.S. release I can remember. This is where its medium (animation) really works to its favor, as the film is able to leverage allegory to soften some of its most challenging and/or incisive commentary. Very little fault to find in the animation and plotting; and it's interesting in itself to see a movie that's so colorful and conventionally playful on the one hand, yet so brazen in its treatment of provocative topics on the other. Plus, the DMV/sloth scene has to be one of the great animated scenes of all time, right? I'll gladly be taken out of the larger narrative for comedy that's executed that well.

TGM
08-15-2016, 06:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma1axsJD1Fk&feature=youtu.be&a

Philip J. Fry
08-16-2016, 02:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma1axsJD1Fk&feature=youtu.be&aGreat finding!

TGM
08-16-2016, 02:50 AM
Great finding!

I follow this channel. ;)

You're a fan of Every Frame a Painting, I think you'd really appreciate Renegade Cut. Every week he posts videos like this, dissecting various themes and such for different films and oftentimes looking at them from a fairly unique approach.

Philip J. Fry
08-16-2016, 03:17 AM
I follow this channel. ;)

You're a fan of Every Frame a Painting, I think you'd really appreciate Renegade Cut. Every week he posts videos like this, dissecting various themes and such for different films and oftentimes looking at them from a fairly unique approach.I just added it to my ever increasing list of film channels (I personally recommend you Channel Crisswell, Nerdwriter1, CinemaTyler, Film-Drunk Love, Lessons From The Screenplay, Ryan Hollinger and Wisecrack). I'll follow closely. :)

Dukefrukem
08-16-2016, 12:14 PM
I started following now.

Dead & Messed Up
10-30-2016, 11:05 PM
This movie's messaging felt fucking all over the place, and while the mystery of who's behind the plot gives the film a film noir style engine, the reveal/resolution just isn't that exciting or revealing. It's also super-fucking-weird, since the responsible party is themed as a black person (don't touch her hair) promoted for political purposes, but she's also a prey, when the film wants us to consider the predators the unfairly maligned minority in Zootopia. The movie's never clear, settling basically for anyone can be scapegoated or suffer prejudice, when in fact its target (the USA) has enormous imbalances the film never really approaches. It's all well-meaning but scattershot and vague.

That said, beautiful movie, some very funny jokes, and a positive takeaway at the very end with the speech that closes the graduation ceremony. But the steps it took to get there just felt... like, again, the messaging felt surreal, and it's such a huge element.

Reminds me a lot of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and how successfully that film navigated its subsumed politics.

Dead & Messed Up
10-31-2016, 04:08 PM
Also, echoing Watashi, this "Disney renaissance" has produced some solid movies but nothing I'd really call classic, except maybe Tangled.

Grouchy
01-14-2017, 10:49 PM
This movie's messaging felt fucking all over the place, and while the mystery of who's behind the plot gives the film a film noir style engine, the reveal/resolution just isn't that exciting or revealing. It's also super-fucking-weird, since the responsible party is themed as a black person (don't touch her hair) promoted for political purposes, but she's also a prey, when the film wants us to consider the predators the unfairly maligned minority in Zootopia. The movie's never clear, settling basically for anyone can be scapegoated or suffer prejudice, when in fact its target (the USA) has enormous imbalances the film never really approaches. It's all well-meaning but scattershot and vague.

That said, beautiful movie, some very funny jokes, and a positive takeaway at the very end with the speech that closes the graduation ceremony. But the steps it took to get there just felt... like, again, the messaging felt surreal, and it's such a huge element.

Reminds me a lot of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and how successfully that film navigated its subsumed politics.
This is basically my opinion, although I probably should have clicked Yay all the same.

Philip J. Fry
04-30-2017, 02:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmZC1nMsIcU

Philip J. Fry
12-09-2017, 12:22 AM
Bad news: somebody made an anti-abortion Zootopia comic. (https://www.avclub.com/somebody-s-out-here-writing-pro-life-zootopia-fan-comic-1821058810)

Good news: the memes it's spawning are awesome. (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ZootopiaComic&src=tyah)

My favorite: