PDA

View Full Version : 11.22.63 (mini-series)

Dead & Messed Up
02-25-2016, 12:10 AM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KNiVxwXn9CU/maxresdefault.jpg

First two eps deviated from the book in respectable ways. Josh Duhamel crushed it as the loathsome wife-beater Frank Dunning. Would never have thought.

Milky Joe
02-25-2016, 12:14 AM
yeah this rules so hard thus far

Dukefrukem
02-25-2016, 12:30 AM
Can you marathon this? Assuming yes. How many episodes is it?

Dead & Messed Up
02-25-2016, 01:04 AM
Can you marathon this? Assuming yes. How many episodes is it?

You can't. Hulu uploads a new ep each Monday. I think it's eight total.

Dukefrukem
02-25-2016, 01:05 AM
You can't. Hulu uploads a new ep each Monday. I think it's eight total.

WHAT THE FUCK?!

Did someone already tell them they're doing it wrong?

Dead & Messed Up
02-25-2016, 04:16 AM
WHAT THE FUCK?!

Did someone already tell them they're doing it wrong?

I mean, you could wait six weeks and then binge it.

Dukefrukem
02-25-2016, 12:52 PM
I mean, you could wait six weeks and then binge it.

That's what I'm gonna do. I'm just baffled by Hulu's thinking here.

Skitch
02-26-2016, 02:38 AM
The more I hear about Hulu, the more Im shocked anyone pays for it.

Mara
02-26-2016, 02:33 PM
The more I hear about Hulu, the more Im shocked anyone pays for it.

Well, in all fairness, Casual was one of the best shows of last fall. And The Path looks AMAZING. I'd pay the subscription amount for the original programming alone.

I thought this miniseries looked stupid, but if you guys say it's good I'll check it out.

Skitch
02-26-2016, 04:03 PM
The book was really good.

D_Davis
02-26-2016, 04:16 PM
I thought this miniseries looked stupid, but if you guys say it's good I'll check it out.

Seems like it's right up your alley - strong human drama with genre conventions, strong characters, great interactions, and something to say.

Dead & Messed Up
02-26-2016, 05:03 PM
Well, in all fairness, Casual was one of the best shows of last fall. And The Path looks AMAZING. I'd pay the subscription amount for the original programming alone.

For sure, give it a shot - the first episode is a bit overpacked, but things smooth out in the second one.

Ezee E
03-03-2016, 11:52 PM
All three episodes have been pretty good. Kind of predictable in a TV-drama kind of way, but I've always enjoyed anything Kennedy-conspiracy anyways. It's been a few years since I read the book, so I forgot a bunch of it.

Winston*
04-17-2016, 04:23 AM
This was a lot of fun but as with many time travel narratives, the ultimate effect is a little unsatisfying.

Peng
04-17-2016, 04:06 PM
I know why they did it (having a person for the protagonist to bounce off will avoid voice-over), but adding Bill is a distracting mistake. Still mildly enjoyed it though. As a fan of the book, I'm happy they nail the last episode, especially the ending scene. I'd say the series is worth it if just for discovering Sarah Gadon.

Milky Joe
04-17-2016, 08:19 PM
The worst part of this story was the 'revelation' that if Kennedy hadn't died we would have ended up in a nuclear war.

However, just because it's kind of propaganda doesn't mean it wasn't a lot of fun, or that I didn't end up nearly moved to tears by the end.

Peng
04-18-2016, 01:38 PM
Well, the film/book might make a few reasons contributing to that (mainly for realism, I think), but it's clear the major cause for the wreckage of the world (including the nuclear war) is from the ripple effect of our protagonist changing the timeline, so I don't really see it as propaganda.

Morris Schæffer
05-23-2016, 07:30 PM
First ep was encouraging, 2nd ep was pretty fab. I love the setting and the time travel element, but the way it worked is pretty banal. A close ancestor of this could be the 1980 sci-fi movie The Final Countdown, but there it's foreboding, mysterious. In Back to the Future it is completely sold also. Call it the Alan Silvestri factor whatever. Here it's a...friggin' closet. :) I wish that was a bit more convincing. It's literally a closet. Goofy, banal, unconvincing, which is too bad since that's what kickstarts the plot in the first place.

But I like everything else. Will keep watching to see where this goes. Duhamel really good, the scene with the bovine a tough sit.

Ezee E
05-24-2016, 03:55 AM
I forgot all about this. I'll have to continue since I think everything's available now.

I think I stopped because I really don't care for the sidekick character (who's a complete addition from what I remember?) and don't really believe in the love relationship here. I can't tell if it's Franco or the actress' fault. Maybe both.

Morris Schæffer
05-30-2016, 08:00 PM
Some of the plotting here is kinda convenient, but this show can survive that with such a killer premise. Keeps me guessing as to where it's going. With 2 more episodes to go, it feels like it's gonna end far too soon, I want to spend more time in the 60's. I suspect an even better show could have been made out of this, but right now I just want to see it through to the end.

I mean, reading the plot to this just sounds like instant grabber material and it feels that way too.