PDA

View Full Version : Deadpool (Tim Miller)

TGM
02-13-2016, 02:12 AM
DEADPOOL

Director: Tim Miller

imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1431045/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1)

http://images.latinoshealth.com/data/images/full/12733/deadpool.jpg

TGM
02-13-2016, 02:14 AM
This. Was. Perfect!! From the opening credits sequence alone, you can tell that you're in good hands. This movie is certainly a love story, but not in the traditional sense. It's just an absolute love for the character, a passion project in the truest, most genuine sense of the word. In fact, I'm already seeing it again for a second time tonight, this movie was absolute outstanding. In a year packed with big comic book movies galore, this is gonna be the movie to beat!

Dukefrukem
02-13-2016, 02:34 AM
It's my favorite non-MCU, Non-Spider-man 2, Marvel Comic Book movie

Dukefrukem
02-13-2016, 02:39 AM
I wonder what this is going to do for other R-Rated comic book movies. I mean, I can't find a single thing wrong with this movie. It's edited beautifully. The climax is just. Maybe some of the jokes were a bit dated, but Ryan Reynolds was talking so fast that he bounces from one joke to the next. Oh and of course TJ Miller was perfect.

dreamdead
02-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Entertaining enough. The villain's a bit of a non-entity, which is a shame since the film lags whenever it backtracks to Wade's cancer ordeal and abandonment of Vanessa.

That said, it's far better when Deadpool is bouncing around and has actual people with personality to contrast with. The X-Men business was good, and the finale was enjoyable. It's likely the best bit was Deadpool's battle with Colossus.

TGM
02-16-2016, 03:48 AM
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-0/s526x395/12733467_946398438729315_88987 90585753158534_n.jpg?oh=452283 98100b964b69327269f33ccf32&oe=5731FAB6

Ivan Drago
02-16-2016, 04:33 AM
I really liked it, but at the same time I wish it took more potshots at FOX's competition and wish it did more to deconstruct the superhero genre. It does do things differently with its non-linear structure, but it still has the one-dimensional villain and basic origin story tropes just aching to be skewered and subverted by a crazy mercenary who knows he's in a superhero movie. . .but maybe I set my expectations too high after all the positive buzz.

I also thought the joke-per-second sense of humor was hit-and-miss, but even the ones that fell flat (especially Wilson's creative use of a colorful vocabulary) still felt natural in some bizarre sense, and it's immensely quotable out of the ones that hit. Ryan Reynolds is at his best, Colossus works as the often ignored voice of reason, and the film is still immensely entertaining.

Morris Schæffer
02-16-2016, 10:40 AM
150 million over 4 days in USA!! 300 million global launch haul!!!

number8
02-17-2016, 12:29 PM
I was worried that the current generation wouldn't have their own Boondock Saints. Crisis averted.

D_Davis
02-17-2016, 03:40 PM
I was worried that the current generation wouldn't have their own Boondock Saints. Crisis averted.

It's that bad?

Dukefrukem
02-17-2016, 07:21 PM
It's that bad?

No fucking way.

transmogrifier
02-18-2016, 10:55 AM
Easily the best Marvel movie. They are much better when treated as flat-out comedies.

Peng
02-18-2016, 02:06 PM
Mildly liked it. I really liked the character and Reynolds' performance, but feel that the film around him is a little too... rote maybe? I know a lot of it is intentional so Deadpool can quip at them, but still. Morena Baccarin, though, exceeds the role as written and really becomes an energetic, charming presence.

number8
02-18-2016, 04:09 PM
All right, I'm ready to be actually critical instead of just making a glib insult.

- This would have worked more if it was just an all-out superhero comedy instead of trying to be an action-comedy, because the action scenes are muy terrible. I understand that there's limitations imposed on them by Fox who kept slashing their budgets so they had to cut out a couple of action scenes, but I feel like they could've chosen more wisely on where to cut back. The one-on-one fight in the burning warehouse is so unimaginative and tuned me out of the movie, and I don't get the purpose of the big Helicarrier destruction setpiece at the end other than to drop another easter egg for fans. It's telling that the only fight scene that stands out and I remember most fondly is the one that's more an extended homage to The Holy Grail than an actual action scene.

- On the comedy front, the jokes that do hit are really fucking funny, but the movie's JPM (that's jokes per minute) accuracy rate is widely, widely off. Deadpool makes so many jokes that you're just hit with a barrage of misses in a row, and that gets uncomfortably tedious at times. It's just sad that he keeps coming up with creatively vulgar insults that don't get any laughs ("Shit-sprinkled muppet fart" resulted in crickets at my showing), when the simplest ones got huge laughs ("He got his superhero name from a dish soap" brought the house down). It's internet comedy in full display: the more offensive you try to pass yourself on to be, the more pathetic you come across.

- I'm somewhat impressed that they restrained themselves from dating the movie by making a ton of timely references, even though they could do that easily because Deadpool wears a mask and can spout any joke changes via ADR (the Jared from Subway is a pedophile joke was obviously a last minute insertion). On the other hand, this means that they could have reaaaaaaaly tightened up the jokes by getting a bunch of comedy peeps to go in and riff jokes for Deadpool to say in post-production. If they did, it doesn't really show. His nonstop stream of jokes should have been more polished.

- I like meta humor when it's subversive. Simply displaying self-awareness is at best gets an "Oh I got that" and at worst makes you seem utterly lazy. Like, you clearly know what the generic move would be, yet instead of playing around it, you just make a "Haha, this is formulaic, right?" comment? That's worse than just committing to the formula, because what happens here is that the movie sets up big expectations by acknowledging the flaw first, making you think they're going to subvert it, and then not at all. I ended up going "...That's it?" like twenty times throughout the movie. The opening credits, for example, is a really funny send up... Until the movie unfolds and everyone just falls into those exact roles without much variation? I get that that's pretty much the joke, but it seems more defeatist than self-deprecating. The only one that really worked for me and didn't seem overly forced was the "I dunno, it might further the plot" line, and that's entirely due to TJ Miller's off-handed delivery.

- The "16 walls" joke has got to be the single lamest meta-humor I've ever seen on film. I think I cringed into a prune when he said it.

- There's nothing new about criticizing wish-fulfillment tendencies in female love interests, I admit, but for some reason Morena Baccarin's character is the most textbook offender I've encountered in a long time. The image of Baccarin sexy-pouting while correcting Deadpool that she was referencing Empire Strikes Back instead of A New Hope is so fitted to the standard critique of that stock character that I was slightly baffled by her presence here, because the movie boasts of being so self-aware, yet it seems to be at a blind spot when it comes to her. The "It's like I made you in a computer" comment came very close to being a joke about her existence, but I feel like it could have been a lot more pointed than that.

- Anyway, I think my Boondock Saints comment is accurate. Not because the two movies are in any way of similar quality, but that they both seem to be taking the trend of the decade that preceded them and came up with a wholly excessive version of it that works less as a cohesive movie than a series of fan service to the followers of said trend. They're different only because what an edgy teenager considers cool in 1999 is different from 2016, but the desired effect seems to be similar.

Winston*
02-19-2016, 02:26 AM
Yeah, the film was weirdly self-satisfied with its meta-ness when what it was doing was about on the level of Spaceballs.

In general I got a kind of dated vibe from this. It has the feel of something Shane Black would've written in the 90s, (including Morena Bacarin's character), though Black's Marvel movie was more sophisticated in its postmodern aspects.

Can't deny there were definitely some solid jokes here though.

Thirdmango
02-19-2016, 07:59 PM
I really didn't want to like it as much as I did. I didn't want to be a fanboy because I generally don't like Deadpool and yet for most of the movie I forgot I was watching a movie and genuinely enjoyed it.

Ezee E
02-20-2016, 01:31 PM
What I did like about this was that it didn't feel completely by the numbers like the Avengers world of movies. The non-linear approach made the origin story feel a little fresh, and Ryan Reynolds plays a role that he should've been in years ago. He's at his best when he's raunchy-mean funny.

The villain could've been a lot better if the guy seemed more evil in nature. Think Ramsay Snow and the torture he puts Theon Greyjoy in. He's the embodiment of evil, even if the guy isn't a top villain in the universe. The Colossus/Girl fight is pretty predictable.

The bad jokes are still at least humorous in a way that it's not just boring. It fits Deadpool.

Morris Schæffer
02-21-2016, 01:03 PM
Just something I have been pondering. How is this a satisfying revenge story if the whole purpose of the experimentation done on Wade was to combat his terminal illness? Didn't he volunteer for it? And wasn't it in fact succesful? I mean, John Wick saw his cat offed, the retaliation needed no further justification, but here? No doubt Ajax went the extra distance, not quite sticking to the rulebook, but it's a weird premise upon which to build a tale of revenge.

edit: It may have been Wick's dog. Probably was.

Scar
02-21-2016, 02:45 PM
Definitely dog.

Gizmo
02-23-2016, 02:08 PM
Might not be the best movie, but it was fun to watch.

Stay Puft
02-28-2016, 07:51 AM
I really liked the character and Reynolds' performance, but feel that the film around him is a little too... rote maybe?

Simply displaying self-awareness is at best gets an "Oh I got that" and at worst makes you seem utterly lazy. Like, you clearly know what the generic move would be, yet instead of playing around it, you just make a "Haha, this is formulaic, right?" comment? That's worse than just committing to the formula, because what happens here is that the movie sets up big expectations by acknowledging the flaw first, making you think they're going to subvert it, and then not at all. I ended up going "...That's it?" like twenty times throughout the movie.

Yeah, that's about where I'm at. It's fun, and sometimes funny (I enjoyed every scene with Colossus, particularly when Deadpool tries to fight him), but it's also the same old shit with characters cracking wise about the same old shit, which is still just the same old shit.

Deadpool and Cable should be a lot of fun, I felt the potential was here (and I was still happy to see Reynolds get to play this version of the character on screen), but it still felt wholly perfunctory and I was kinda just tired of it by the end and glad the origin story was over and out of the way. A mild nay, but with a dash of optimism for the franchise's future.

Grouchy
02-29-2016, 01:37 PM
This was pretty excellent. I see your point about it being as formulaic as the genre tropes it makes fun of, and I raise you a "Who cares?". It's not a serious deconstruction of the superhero genre. It's an excessive comedy. The Spaceballs comparison doesn't hurt it in any way.

The Taken joke was incredible.

DavidSeven
03-02-2016, 08:47 PM
As mentioned, the film does create an expectation of subversion right away that later goes unfulfilled, and I think that's a worthy criticism. The action beats, cast of side characters, low stakes violence and over-reliance on CGI all feel pretty familiar. If there's a place that Deadpool excels above its contemporaries, it may actually be in its handling of the romantic melodrama between Reynolds and Baccarin's characters. So often comic book romances feel like arrangements rooted in convenience or proximity. I think the film did come across as being original in building the chemistry between these two characters, even if Baccarin's character is sort of created in geek wish-fulfillment mode and gets quickly thrown into an unfortunate damsel-in-distress trope later on.

I laughed in spots. There are definitely some quality quips. Many jokes also land with a thud. Your response to the film hinges almost entirely on your patience with Reynold's non-stop snark and your capacity to enjoy a lot of remorseless and cinematically uninteresting violence. There's not much else to the film, though I can't deny being entertained for the most part. I might even be willing to give the film a full pass as a "genre exercise" if it seemed like there was any effort put into creating visually or emotionally interesting action. However, rather than approaching the action with something original (like, say, John Wick), Deadpool reacts to our desensitization to CGI violence by just ratcheting it up to even more implausible levels. This is one film where FOX/Marvel could've gotten away with action that was more grounded, and they also could've scaled back the violence but made it feel more immediate. Reynolds is suited for the part and delivers a one-man show that's pretty worthy of 100 minutes, but take that (and some small bits with Baccarin) out, and you're not left with much to admire.

Sven
03-03-2016, 02:48 PM
I didn't realize John Wick had intersting violence. What'd I miss?

DavidSeven
03-03-2016, 06:43 PM
I didn't realize John Wick had intersting violence. What'd I miss?

Interesting in that I found it eminently more cinematic on a visual level than what is featured in Deadpool. I bring it up as a comparison as Deadpool's "skills" are similarly grounded and could have been captured in different ways.

Controversial position? I dunno; I thought the universal raves that Wick got were based almost entirely on how compelling/interesting people thought the action was.

Sven
03-03-2016, 09:12 PM
Haven't seen Deadpool, but I'm just always a little stunned when I hear praise for JW. There are so many more notable examples of cinematic violence. Anyway, sorry for the snark, though it seems fitting in this thread. Carry on.

DavidSeven
03-03-2016, 10:05 PM
Haven't seen Deadpool, but I'm just always a little stunned when I hear praise for JW. There are so many more notable examples of cinematic violence. Anyway, sorry for the snark, though it seems fitting in this thread. Carry on.

No worries, would be really interested to read your thoughts on JW (maybe in the JW thread (http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showthread.php?5683-John-Wick-(Chad-Stahelski)) some day). Didn't find it exceptional on the whole either, but thought the action was done exceedingly well.

[/derail]

Skitch
03-04-2016, 02:37 AM
Caught Deadpool this evening. Very enjoyable. I do wonder how it will hold up on repeats. While the nerd community is freaking out that they have a Deadpool in a movie, I was so happy to have MY mental Colossus. Every scene with him made me giggle with joy.

Henry Gale
03-25-2016, 09:10 PM
Oof. Finally saw this, and just.. pretty much everything 8, Morris, Winston, Stay Puft and DavidSeven said, but I'm even less confident in saying there's much in the way of good jokes sprinkled in it, since I think I couldn't have mustered up the energy to laugh at all more than.. I dunno, maybe three or four times after the opening credits (my favourite piece of the whole thing)? And even I think most of that was T.J. Miller to be honest.

When a movie is into itself this much, and clearly has such a shallow, uninteresting personality beyond that, there's no real wavelength for me to hop onto to get anything out of it. Plus from basic cinematography and setpiece standpoints, it just looks drab and awful, and other than the slightly inventive structure of its script it has absolutely nothing new to offer as many times as it might talk to the camera to try to convince you otherwise. Say what you will about Batman v Superman, but at least it tries for something of a style, looks very good most of the time, and commits to itself as a living, breathing movie. This was just like watching a shoddy, early 2000's superhero movie with a main character equivalent of Pop-Up Video coming in to make itself seem edgy.

Between this and Dawn of Justice, I'm really gonna need for Civil War and Apocalypse (or even Suicide Squad, though I'm less hopeful there) to be really satisfying to repair the endless void these two have dug in my superhero soul this weekend.

I'm not even exaggerating (and in the end, they are just varying levels of infuriating) when I say:

Batman v Superman > This.

Dukefrukem
03-25-2016, 09:24 PM
Batman v Superman > This.

Ohhhhhh nooo. I mean... no way.

Henry Gale
03-25-2016, 09:33 PM
Ohhhhhh nooo. I mean... no way.

To me, Deadpool is like Kick-Ass (which I also really don't like) with even less capable or inventive direction.

At least BvS, for all its dopiness, is earnestly and even ambitiously so, not to mention cinematically dynamic from time to time (if in very surface-level ways).

Dukefrukem
03-25-2016, 10:05 PM
I would at least watch Deadpool again on a Sunday afternoon. I never want to watch BvS ever again.

Peng
03-26-2016, 04:39 AM
Yeahhhh, about 50 minutes shorter, without the eye-rolling dourness, without dumb developments, and with its laughs at least kind of intentional, sound better to me.

[ETM]
03-26-2016, 03:01 PM
Kick Ass is utter bullshit, Deadpool is disposable fun, but BvS is simply insultingly bad.

Morris Schæffer
03-26-2016, 03:37 PM
I like Kick Ass a lot. Seems like a better combination of earnestness and crazy fun than Deadpool. Its characters feel more real to me, the movie is funny, but not forcibly so. It's not desperate to earn our laughs.

Henry Gale
03-26-2016, 08:12 PM
In the end, to me:

Kick-Ass is detrimentally smarmy but mostly well-constructed. (+ Cage & Moretz are very good, especially together.)

Dawn of Justice is extremely sloppy but assuredly sticks to its storytelling guns (in usually visually/cinematically interesting ways).

Deadpool is both of those formers and neither of the latters.

Dead & Messed Up
05-06-2016, 05:17 AM
Just watched this, and ultimately coming away with a positive view, although I think number8 et al brought up good points about the film's problems. Towards the end, I realized how completely uninterested I was in the villain ("a British guy" indeed) and in the action, but Reynolds' personality helped the Apatow-ian line-o-ramas feel organic to the characters, and the flick's structure mitigated its origin story mechanics much more than I expected. I can't envision rewatching this film the way I've watched and treasured flicks like The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2 (and The Dark Knight Rises (I know, I know)), but it sufficiently diverts. Flick needed more off-kilter Jed Rees.

I'm more interested in the implications of this film showing a $60 million R-rated superhero film can make profit and do things that other superhero flicks won't.

I mean, just like that, Adam McKay's gonna be directing Irredeemable, to which I say, "Heck yeah."

Anyway, Deadpool was probably better than Batman v. Superman, but I find the latter's overambitious, aloof dirge more fascinating.

Kick-Ass was worse than either.

TGM
05-11-2016, 02:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qIRtFE6aIc

Dukefrukem
05-11-2016, 02:14 AM
One of the worst.

Milky Joe
06-12-2016, 05:19 AM
Finally saw this. I had a real good time. Morena Baccarin is hot. The end.

Mal
07-09-2016, 02:14 PM
This was verging on terrible but mostly just mediocre and lazy and feels like it was created in a focus group of immature males.

MadMan
07-15-2016, 01:15 AM
Saw this a while back. It's funny but the act wore thin towards the end. It could have been great. Ryan Reynolds was awesome, though.

Dukefrukem
07-27-2017, 12:53 PM
Funny and informative on the pre-production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fG2GuXbAvg