PDA

View Full Version : Mustang (Deniz Gamze Ergüven)

Spinal
01-11-2016, 04:08 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/joel_harmon/Mustang-movie-French-poster_zpssos7ozmk.jpg

IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3966404/)

Spinal
01-11-2016, 04:47 PM
Superior ensemble work. Exceptional direction and screenplay. And I liked the way the story rode the line between specificity and fairytale. It's something that could be set in many places around the world. I loved this one.

Pop Trash
01-12-2016, 03:31 AM
Superior ensemble work. Exceptional direction and screenplay. And I liked the way the story rode the line between specificity and fairytale. It's something that could be set in many places around the world. I loved this one.

Interesting. Care to comment on all the comparisons to The Virgin Suicides?

Spinal
01-12-2016, 03:45 PM
Interesting. Care to comment on all the comparisons to The Virgin Suicides?

It's been too long since I've seen Virgin Suicides to really make a substantial statement on that.

Lazlo
01-19-2016, 02:46 PM
This was incredibly strong and moving. Such passion and defiance was inspiring to watch and heartbreaking to see stifled.

Stay Puft
01-29-2016, 03:40 AM
I missed what that notepad was about so I actually gasped when Lale sought out her teacher at the end. That was a great way to bookend the film. I wanted to cry.

So, me three. Absolutely loved it. One of the best soundtracks of the year, too. Had no idea Warren Ellis worked on this.

Lazlo
01-30-2016, 07:09 PM
I missed what that notepad was about so I actually gasped when Lale sought out her teacher at the end. That was a great way to bookend the film. I wanted to cry.

So, me three. Absolutely loved it. One of the best soundtracks of the year, too. Had no idea Warren Ellis worked on this.

I love that ending, but I need to see it again. The lady in the row in front of me started filing her nails right around the time the girls get on the bus and I was so distracted by the scraping sound. Old people with their talking and inability to just sit and watch something without commenting or questioning are a plague upon the movie-going world. People complain about teenagers or whatever, but old white people are the absolute fucking worst audience members.

The music is great, but the use of the track from The Assassination of Jessie James, I think it's "All Things Beautiful", threw me a bit because it's one the scores I've listened to the most.

Grouchy
06-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Yeah, great film. I agree with Spinal, the direction is realistic but the v.o. and the over-the-topness of the family's evil make it seem like a fairy tale. When that soccer scene came along, I was watching this with a couple of friends and the three of us agreed that it was beyond weird to forbid men from attending a game to stop violence. Lo and behold, Wikipedia quickly proved that particular detail was taken from reality. I also really loved the montage where they hide any object that could corrupt the girls or even slyly suggest something sexual that ends with one of the kids using a pink flypaper... and then the same kid (I think) finds a hidden erotic novel in the same closet.

There's a lot of sexy posing in the film. The director almost seems to be daring the audience to find something wrong with it, as it could align you with the grandparents. While I loved that detail, I'd like to point out that I don't know if a male director could get away with it because of the possible backlash.