PDA

View Full Version : Sisters (Jason Moore)

Henry Gale
12-17-2015, 06:00 PM
IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1850457/) / Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisters_(2015_film))

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news/84547/_1443140086.jpg

Henry Gale
12-17-2015, 06:08 PM
Once this gets past its first reel (if such a term is still used) and locks into the dynamic of the leads, and especially when it eventually gets to the central event that takes of a good majority of its runtime, this movie is so charming and consistently funny that it's a shame it has to come out this particular weekend when so little of the general public will actually bother to see it.

The bigger setpiece gags that look like most of the budget went towards or simply aim for an easy crude-factor are on the whatever side and only passably inspired, BUT the sharp, effortless chemistry between Poehler (who's rightfully billed first in the film's end credits) & Fey, the banter between all the characters (with exceptions of things like one questionably long run solely centering on name pronunciations between Poehler and her Korean pedicurist named Hae-Won, who at leasts gets to be an expanded and even important character), the extensive, super-accomplished and well-utilized supporting cast (which just like with Trainwreck, could've used more Jon Glaser, but also employs just the right amount of John Cena) and the vast barrage of gags from Paula Pell's script and likely endless improvising from said cast are what makes the film as vibrant and hysterical as it so often it once it gets past its rusty expository opening.

It's a hugely fun, significantly well-made party movie also about the longing for a time when the release of such things was frequent commonplace. For about 75% of it, it works so well that I'm willing to forgive the other 25.

When my biggest complaint about a comedy is the fact that they opted for the beyond-overdone end-credits blooper reel, I'd say I probably liked the movie quite a bit.

Stay Puft
12-17-2015, 10:44 PM
I'm more excited about this than Star Wars. I love Amy Poehler.

Henry Gale
12-18-2015, 01:01 AM
I'm more excited about this than Star Wars. I love Amy Poehler.

Well, like I hinted at in my (now admittedly heavily edited) post, this is very much her movie. The script devises her character as the archetypal slightly uptight and younger Lisa Simpson "good" sister, with new age-y tendencies like giving out cards with sunsets, birds and inspirational slogans on them, but her performance and natural charisma pours through any of that two-dimensionality, particularly in her scenes with Ike Barinholtz, and the movie almost seems to forget why it bothered with that after the first act, giving up on that thin approach and giving in to her. Beyond lovable.

Unless it takes on an uncontrollable, largely female-driven cult status post-theatrical-run like Mean Girls and Pitch Perfect (which considering the talent involved, is very possible), I don't see it having the potential to be as defining a role for her as Leslie Knope, but it's still pretty easily the best role she's had in a film.**

**Live action anyway, as I know someone will mention Inside Out just came out. But with those movies, the beautiful final season of Parks, and her & Fey's last Golden Globes hosting gig, what a year! Can't wait for them and Springsteen on SNL this weekend too.

amberlita
12-24-2015, 05:29 AM
This film has so many problems I wouldn't know where to begin. Despite that, I was laughing my ass off. God I love these ladies.

Go with a friend. See it in the theater as early as possible to maximize the communal laughter. If I'd seen it alone and from the confines of my apartment I think I would have been pretty disappointed.

Henry Gale
12-25-2015, 12:20 AM
Exactly. Saw it with a group including my own sister (fittingly), and it was a screening audience so it was full and lively. But yeah, the more I've bothered to critically think about it or discuss it with people I didn't originally see it with (both of whom separately didn't seem to like it half as much, but eventually came around a little more when we agreed on the lower points), the more aspects of it crumble a bit in my mind, but I bet if I was able to throw it on with a few friends right now I'd be right back in love with the more essential stuff that I was the first time and see past the rest once again.

Stay Puft
02-01-2016, 05:30 AM
Finally caught up with this. (And long after seeing Star Wars, go figure.)

Yes, lots of problems. Not much of a script, from what's up on screen. There's a scene early on with Tina Fey hanging out of a sun roof, lots of helicopter shots set to a pop soundtrack, and Tony Zhou's words were ringing loud in my ears. I mean, we know exactly what kind of movie this is going to be.

That's fine, because I do so really love Fey and Poehler. I was laughing my ass off. Money well spent.

could've used more Jon Glaser

Agreed.

Had no idea I would like John Cena as much as I did.