PDA

View Full Version : Goodnight Mommy (Veronica Franz & Severin Fiala)

Grouchy
11-28-2015, 05:01 PM
http://www.cinemaldito.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Ich-seh-Ich-seh-Goodnight-Mommy-2.jpg

Grouchy
11-28-2015, 05:08 PM
There was no thread for this that I could find.

Anyway, gorgeous looking film. The twist is predictable, but it's clearly not in the interest of the filmmakers to surprise anyone with it. The real "twist" is the emotional conundrum the mother finds herself in near the end. Also, this has a couple of very creative and effective jump scares.

Mysterious Dude
11-30-2015, 05:58 PM
I have to admit, I did not see the twist coming. In retrospect, all the clues were there, but I wasn't really looking for them.

The movie has too much torture for my taste.

Ezee E
12-14-2015, 11:59 PM
This one got me right from the beginning scene and choked me throughout. Wow. I didn't really know much about this movie, other than the poster was freaky, and it had some pretty good reviews.

Obviously influenced by Haneke, but also some Almodovar at the beginning to me. There are many long moments where there is no dialog, but it's not needed. This is going to be hard to recommend to people, as I'll have to know what they can and can't handle on screen.

For one, I did NOT see the twist coming, despite the many different dream scenes and the "kid imagination" that happens throughout. I really like how they did it in the real world without making it too obvious. Whether it was the jumpy mud, the huge tomb of bones, or the impossible to answer logic, I thought it was very well done.

After the Babadook, I'm starting to see a new subgenre of horror build, and it's the "Untreated Mental Trauma."

Ezee E
12-15-2015, 12:05 AM
I have to admit, I did not see the twist coming. In retrospect, all the clues were there, but I wasn't really looking for them.

The movie has too much torture for my taste.

Yes. I wasn't looking for it either. I think if I knew there was a twist, it would've been obvious. No matter though, I think it still plays just as well without it being there.

Pop Trash
12-16-2015, 10:14 PM
I dunno, I didn't see the twist coming either, but I can't help but think this might have been just as good/perhaps better if it stayed on the trajectory of...

Austrian Hardy Boys and The Replacement Mommy from Hell

I'm curious to see that movie.