PDA

View Full Version : Jessica Jones (Season 1)

Dukefrukem
11-20-2015, 08:10 PM
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/0/6063/4719622-untitled-1.jpg

Dukefrukem
11-20-2015, 08:11 PM
Solid first episode. I wish Krysten Ritter was just a tad bit sexier.

Mara
11-20-2015, 11:17 PM

Are you being sarcastic? I've always dug her vibe.

Carrie Anne Moss totally looks like Robin Wright in this role.

Mara
11-21-2015, 01:21 AM
It's refreshing not to have an origin story.

Irish
11-21-2015, 05:08 AM
I burst out laughing at the first line of VO: "New York may be the city that never sleeps but it sure does sleep around. Not that I'm complaining. Cheaters are good for business."

This over a visual showing a couple having sex and the sound of a camera clicking.

Are they serious with this stuff? lol

Dead & Messed Up
11-21-2015, 05:10 AM
Watched the first two eps, fun so far. Tennant feels genuinely threatening and gets appropriately chilling buildup with all the human wreckage in his wake. Also fun to see the noir angle be at least as significant as all the superpowers. The voice over isn't terribly inspired as dialogue (it's hard to evince the classic hard-boiled patois without feeling anachronistic, I guess). Ritter is spot-on, but as for the whole sexy thing, its clearly not her job to be sexy in this. She's strung out, dealing with PTSD. Sexifying Black Widow makes a bit more sense, because her universe feels a little more absurd, and she's playing more into that Action Girl archetype.

Ritter was plenty sexy in "Don't Trust the B." As was Dreama Walker. I miss that show.

Mara
11-21-2015, 07:49 AM
THANKS FOR THE NIGHTMARES, SHOW

number8
11-21-2015, 09:19 PM
Had to take a break after the phone call in episode 6 to calm down someone with an abusive past who just started crying. This show gets too real sometimes with the domestic stuff.

Needs the murder and stuff to keep it from being too intense haha.

[ETM]
11-21-2015, 11:45 PM
It's refreshing not to have an origin story.

I chuckled when her and Cage exchanged origins of their powers in two words.

Mara
11-22-2015, 02:46 AM
THANKS FOR THE NIGHTMARES, SHOW

I posted this just shy of 4 in the morning, after dreaming about Kilgrave all night. He is scary as hell. I can't remember the last time I was this genuinely frightened by a fictional villain. I had to take today off from the show just to recover.

number8
11-22-2015, 04:22 AM
I liked this more than Daredevil.

Dukefrukem
11-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Had to take a break after the phone call in episode 6 to calm down someone with an abusive past who just started crying. This show gets too real sometimes with the domestic stuff.

Needs the murder and stuff to keep it from being too intense haha.

That's a little intense!

Are you being sarcastic? I've always dug her vibe.

No I wasn't.

megladon8
11-23-2015, 11:02 AM
Man Kilgrave is a creepy fucker.

Dead & Messed Up
11-23-2015, 03:17 PM
Appreciated that they went to the trouble of giving Kilgrave a sad backstory...

and then rug-pulling - yep, he's a monster.

ledfloyd
11-26-2015, 04:25 AM

Why does she need to be sexy?

This show does such a great job of dealing with things like PTSD, abuse, consent, etc. And agreed. Kilgrave is terrifying. I didn't know David Tennant was capable of being that menacing. Jeez.

[ETM]
11-26-2015, 10:40 AM
I was litteraly just now responding to someone on another forum who complained about her "ugly nose and small boobs".

megladon8
11-26-2015, 02:49 PM
I think she's gorgeous.

But I also think this is probably the last Marvel property one should be complaining about lack of hotness in.

Ezee E
11-26-2015, 06:58 PM
I think she's pretty.

Watched the first episode. Way better than Daredevil. I'll probably watch a few more.

Mara
11-27-2015, 07:45 PM
this show though

Mara
11-27-2015, 08:57 PM
THIS SHOW THOUGH

Dukefrukem
11-27-2015, 09:16 PM
Why does she need to be sexy?

She doesn't need to be. I just prefer it.

Russ
11-27-2015, 09:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OagFIQMs1tw

number8
11-27-2015, 11:09 PM
THIS SHOW THOUGH

Are you finished yet?

Mara
11-28-2015, 12:05 AM
She doesn't need to be. I just prefer it.

She should smile more, too.

Mara
11-28-2015, 12:11 AM
Are you finished yet?

I am! This is the second show I've seen this year where the emotional climax was a woman telling her female friend that she loved her. WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE.

I thought this was great; significantly better than Daredevil, which I enjoyed, but which had some uneven writing and problems with secondary characters.

This was thrilling and funny and sad and psychologically terrifying.

number8
11-28-2015, 04:59 AM
She should smile more, too.

YO.

damn girl

Scar
11-28-2015, 05:31 AM
YO.

damn girl

:thumbs up:

dreamdead
11-28-2015, 12:25 PM
The show wrapped up just a bit too quickly near the end. The Dawson material sidelined Trish's emotional state after being manipulated, which would have been more rewarding within season one than connecting the universes. And while it's understandable that the Kilgrave business ended as it did, I'm depressed for Tennant's inability to reappear.

It'll be interesting to see if the Robyn character sticks around at all. Her arc late in the first season, where she urged the other survivors to her position, made little narrative sense, even if it was necessary to get Kilgrave back into the open.

Mara
11-28-2015, 02:30 PM
It'll be interesting to see if the Robyn character sticks around at all. Her arc late in the first season, where she urged the other survivors to her position, made little narrative sense, even if it was necessary to get Kilgrave back into the open.

The scene with Robyn at the diner was the worst in the series. Poorly written and unconvincingly acted. I winced the whole way.

That said, I found Robyn and Ruben to be totally fascinating. I mean, it takes something to be the creepiest fraternal twins on television.

megladon8
11-30-2015, 01:57 AM
It's a testament to David Tennant's incredible talent that he can make such a detestable, rotten character so entertaining to watch.

megladon8
12-01-2015, 01:36 AM
I'm finding the inconsistency of her strength to be very frustrating.

Dukefrukem
12-01-2015, 01:43 PM
Needs more Luke Cage.

number8
12-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Their romance is very well done. I'd be sad if Jessica doesn't have a major role on his show.

megladon8
12-01-2015, 06:53 PM
Glad there was some (albeit minor) explanation behind her immunity.

I was about to write this show off when that came up.

megladon8
12-01-2015, 08:20 PM
Hogarth and Pam's little spat in the interrogation room was pretty silly.

Still loving the show but there are some scenes and exchanges that make me wonder if they read their scripts over before sending it to shoot.

Skitch
12-04-2015, 01:20 AM
I wish Krysten Ritter was just a tad bit sexier.

I know this is petty, but I'm 18 minutes into episode 1 and you gotta be out of your freaking mind. :D

Skitch
12-04-2015, 01:23 AM
;547980']I was litteraly just now responding to someone on another forum who complained about her "ugly nose and small boobs".

Quit talking to dumb dumb blind folk. She might be distractingly too good looking. Maybe.

number8
12-04-2015, 11:52 AM
It's funny because if you hang out in comic book forums, when they first made the casting announcement months ago, everyone was complaining that she's way too hot to play the character.

Ya can't win as a woman.

Dukefrukem
12-04-2015, 12:34 PM
I know this is petty, but I'm 18 minutes into episode 1 and you gotta be out of your freaking mind. :D

She's got a sour look on her face throughout the entire show.

I'm just asking for a tad bit sexier.

number8
12-04-2015, 02:21 PM
I can't tell if you're just purposefully trying to rile people up or if you really do not understand why we're being grossed out by you asking for a sexual assault survivor to look more attractive. I always want to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Skitch
12-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Ya can't win as a woman.

True! I read a great tweet (cant remember who posted it) that said " started watching Jessica Jones. All about girls doing girls things and the guys are all eye candy or mean or... Oh, that's what that feels like." :D

Only watched one ep but I love that aspect.

Dukefrukem
12-04-2015, 02:37 PM
I can't tell if you're just purposefully trying to rile people up or if you really do not understand why we're being grossed out by you asking for a sexual assault survivor to look more attractive. I always want to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Because that's what I'm asking for? The sexual assault survivor to be more attractive? Or the lead of a TV show to be a bit more sexy? You should be an interpreter.

number8
12-04-2015, 02:50 PM
I would be very bad at it because I am confused right now. I'm just... gonna let this go and back away.

Irish
12-04-2015, 02:58 PM
Because that's what I'm asking for? The sexual assault survivor to be more attractive? Or the lead of a TV show to be a bit more sexy? You should be an interpreter.

The story is about sexual assault and rape. You're complaining that the lead female character isn't attractive enough for you.

That reads as gross, Duke.

D_Davis
12-04-2015, 03:25 PM
I wish the rape scene in Irreversible had better lighting and angles so I could see it more clearly.

Dukefrukem
12-04-2015, 04:20 PM
The story is about sexual assault and rape. You're complaining that the lead female character isn't attractive enough for you.

That reads as gross, Duke.

First, I dont even know what you're talking about. If it has something to do with what happens later in the series, I'm not there yet, so thanks for spoilers.

Second, it boggles my mind on the leaps in logic MC makes sometimes.

Irish
12-04-2015, 04:51 PM
First, I dont even know what you're talking about. If it has something to do with what happens later in the series, I'm not there yet, so thanks for spoilers.

This is established in the very first episode of the series. Not to mention every one of the hundreds of articles, reviews, think pieces, and promotional puff that's been written about the show.

So, not a spoiler.

Second, it boggles my mind on the leaps in logic MC makes sometimes.

This isn't so much a leap in logic as common sense.

To pick up on Davis' post—when someone mentions Irreversible, do you talk about how much Monica Belluci's tits popped in that dress? Same sort of thing.

If you still don't get it, ask your girlfriend. Or your mother.

Dukefrukem
12-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Are you one of those people that got offended about Seth Macfarlane "we saw your boobs" song too? You are perpetuating a sucking internet Irish.

And I don't recall ANY rape mention in Episode One relating to Jessica. Just scenes that implied it with Hope.

Irish
12-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Dude, I'm perpetuating the suck? Did you seriously just say that to me?

What's wrong with you today? First you pick a fight with Skitch over the Batman vs Superman trailer, now this. What gives?

Dukefrukem
12-04-2015, 05:08 PM
All I fucking said was I wish she was cuter......... And this is what it blew up into. That's like, the definition of internet suckage to the T. People picking and prodding of the deep meaning behind my post.....and how gross I am.... I mean WTF?

And All I wanted from Skitch was to actually explain what he meant; why was he still excited for BvS. Where exactly is the fight there??

Dukefrukem
12-04-2015, 05:11 PM
If this was a real life conversation I'd be laughing.

number8
12-04-2015, 06:00 PM
Touchy touchy.

Dukefrukem
12-04-2015, 06:04 PM
Touchy touchy.

This........... I can't argue with.

"Here's Duke taking you into the weekend."

Dead & Messed Up
12-04-2015, 09:07 PM
Duke, without giving too much away, a man wishing a woman would be prettier for him ends up being a crucial part of the story.

D_Davis
12-04-2015, 10:57 PM
All I fucking said was I wish she was cuter.........

But that's just a really weird thing to say about someone.

Imagine saying that to someone in person?

I think you're tying to say that she doesn't fit your idea of the character, is that right?

If so, there are more tactful ways to relay that information.

Dukefrukem
12-05-2015, 01:40 PM
But that's just a really weird thing to say about someone.

Imagine saying that to someone in person?

I think you're tying to say that she doesn't fit your idea of the character, is that right?

If so, there are more tactful ways to relay that information.

I would never say that to someone in person because that context makes zero sense. Yes that is what I am saying.

Dukefrukem
12-09-2015, 12:28 PM
Just watched the rape episode last night. "WWJD"

megladon8
12-10-2015, 05:56 AM
Seriously did her inconsistent strength not bother anyone else?

number8
12-10-2015, 02:07 PM
I don't even really remember any inconsistency.

Dukefrukem
12-10-2015, 02:28 PM
I haven't seen it either. She breaks a lot of metal stuff.

Dead & Messed Up
12-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Robyn knocking her out with a piece of wood was a series low.

Skitch
12-10-2015, 08:07 PM
Strength doesn't mean you're invulnerable like Superman. Granted we're only on ep5 or so, but it seems to me that while shes metahuman strong, shes just about as susceptible to damage as any normie. Maybe I'm wrong?

number8
12-10-2015, 08:26 PM
They specifically played with it in that episode where she gets shot. She gets away with bluffing most of the time because people just assume you're invulnerable when you're strong.

Dead & Messed Up
12-10-2015, 08:41 PM
Oh.

Well, I still hate Robyn.

number8
12-10-2015, 08:57 PM
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-jessica-jones-perfectly-portrays-being-stalked/

EDIT: The author originally titled that article "5 Ways 'Jessica Jones' Perfectly Portrays Being Stalked" but of course the Cracked editors retitled to the generic and clickbait sounding "5 Reasons 'Jessica Jones' Is Way Darker Than You Realize."

#1 is one of my favorite aspects of the show. Jessica's really quick in telling other people they're not responsible. That's the main thing she drills to Hope, and she says it with a lot of conviction. She genuinely believes the fault is 100% in Kilgrave. But it doesn't change the fact that she feels all the guilt for what Kilgrave made her do.

megladon8
12-11-2015, 03:39 AM
In one scene she lifts a car with no effort at all. In others she seems to be struggling lifting/throwing people in fights.

Also we see her jump incredible heights and scale skyscrapers, but in one of the final episodes she barely makes a 20-30 foot jump between a couple of balconies.

And yes, the knock out was a low. As was the being shot. I didn't think they were playing with it - they seemed to have no set rules for what she can and can't endure. She explicitly says that she is able to heal faster than most, and her gunshot wound is gone by the next episode. But she broken ribs remain for like 1/3 of the season.

D_Davis
12-11-2015, 06:00 PM
In one scene she lifts a car with no effort at all. In others she seems to be struggling lifting/throwing people in fights.

Also we see her jump incredible heights and scale skyscrapers, but in one of the final episodes she barely makes a 20-30 foot jump between a couple of balconies.

And yes, the knock out was a low. As was the being shot. I didn't think they were playing with it - they seemed to have no set rules for what she can and can't endure. She explicitly says that she is able to heal faster than most, and her gunshot wound is gone by the next episode. But she broken ribs remain for like 1/3 of the season.

Superhero logic.

Make the hero weaker or stronger depending on the amount of drama or suspense you need.

;)

ledfloyd
12-11-2015, 09:56 PM
Just watched the rape episode last night. "WWJD"

Well now you know why she has a "sour look" on her face. It would make no sense to have a survivor of emotional and sexual trauma being all cheery and smiley.

Dukefrukem
12-11-2015, 10:14 PM
Yup

Peng
12-13-2015, 01:46 PM
I thought it was established already in the very first episode what she had gone through? Like, what happened to Hope already happened to her. Not to mention the traumatized looks she had after being triggered to remember him. The very end of the episode is she struggling mightily to overcome her traumatic past so she can help Hope.

Anyway, really liked the series. Would loved it even more without those neighbors, which drag down even the initially poignant survivor group stuff.

Dukefrukem
01-18-2016, 12:20 PM
Season Two

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/17/netflix-jessica-jones-season-2-and-more/

Dukefrukem
02-05-2016, 01:26 PM
Why don't people wear ear plugs around Kill Grave?

Scar
02-05-2016, 02:10 PM
Why don't people wear ear plugs around Kill Grave?

I seem to recall her using them. Then he just uses random people to attack.

number8
02-05-2016, 02:56 PM
Yeah, Patsy confronts him using an iPod. He then commands pedestrians to knock them off her ears.

Grouchy
02-23-2016, 10:02 PM
Wow, this show was incredible. If the adagio that "a hero is only as good as its antagonist" applies then it becomes even more incredible. Kilgrave is the most effective villain I've seen in a long, long time and he makes even D'Onofrio's creepy, mature interpretation of Kingpin (a much more "real world" character all things considered) look childish and comic-booky. David Tennant is awesome, Krysten Ritter is a great, charismatic lead (I realize now we didn't see nearly enough of her range in Breaking Bad), pretty much everyone is spot-on. Even that guy who plays the Netflix version of Nuke is pretty rocking - he really sells the "crazed soldier" angle and is pretty funny to boot during the later episodes. The season itself is a gem. It might be my favorite piece of media in the cinematic Marvel Universe so far. I can't tell if you guys are serious when you talk about the occasional bad writing. There are plenty of fully fleshed out secondary characters in this and it has scenes that range from terrifying to hilarious. What more can we ask of TV? Well, actually, you can ask for more - it has a running theme of surviving abusive relationships that I thought was very well handled. I kept anticipating myself and expecting some awkward scene of dialogue to lay it out on the open with no subtletly whatsoever and that never came. Yet there were plenty of suspenseful dramatic moments such as the rooftop sucide attempt that are just amazingly sharp.

It even compares very favorably to the actual Jessica Jones comics. I revisited Alias and The Pulse while I was binging mid-season and... they're not so good. It might be that Bendis's dialogue gets overbearing, or that that Michael Gaydos dude who draws Alias is one of the crappiest artists professionally published that I know of, but I much prefer this version of Jessica Jones. Kilgrave is an afterthought in the original comics, a Big Baddie that Bendis decides to turn into a Deadpool-like meta-joke for some reason, instead of the spectacular villain he is here.

Morris Schæffer
03-28-2016, 07:30 PM
Slow going the first 6 or 7 episodes, with detective work that isn't particularly intriguing and it was all just a wee a bit banal. I love superhero shows or movies that are more rooted in reality, but here it's possibly a bit too. That said, everything with David Tennant was quite good even if I don't fully understand episode 8 where he invites Jessica to stay at his place. I mean, they're enemies, therefore I'm not sure what he was expecting the end result was going to be. Episode 9 was the best one so far and that's where I'm at now. So there was never any question I was going to stick with it, but interest started to really peak at episode 7, give or take.

Grouchy
03-28-2016, 07:59 PM
I think it's a good show until episodes 6-7 where it becomes amazing. It's definitively a slow builder.

As for your question, I think Killgrave is delusional which is why he's such a great villain. He thinks he's seriously in love with Jessica in a psychopath way and harbors actual hope of ending up together with her even if he still wants to torture her and fuck up her life.

number8
03-28-2016, 08:53 PM
See again: him being offended when Jessica called him a rapist. In his mind it's consensual sex even if he uses his powers on her, because he believes that she secretly wants him anyway so it might as well be consensual. That informs his actions throughout the show. He stalks her because he thinks she just wants him to prove to her how far he'll go to make her love him. Like a lot of abusers and predators, he has a hard time separating the things that he's earned and things that he's taken by force, so he wants to prove that he can keep her by his side without his powers (down to buying the house legally). This is exactly what's so creepy about the show. It's all very familiar.

Morris Schæffer
03-31-2016, 08:13 PM
So at the very end she...snaps his neck?! There was no other occasion throughout the entire show when she could have done that? Like in the house, instead of drugging him, snapping his neck? This show stalled a bit for me after the excellent ninth episode.

Morris Schæffer
04-01-2016, 10:32 AM
So at the very end she...snaps his neck?! There was no other occasion throughout the entire show when she could have done that? Like in the house, instead of drugging him, snapping his neck? This show stalled a bit for me after the excellent ninth episode.

Quoting myself. I suppose she couldn't take him out because he needed his confession of guilt to prove Hope's innocence.

TGM
04-21-2016, 05:32 PM
Just got through with this show, and holy shit was an intense, emotional experience that was! Just really complexly incredible stuff. And add Kilgrave to the very short list of genuinely great MCU villains. The shows appear to definitely have a leg up on the movies in that regard so far.

(That list, btw? Loki, Fisk, and Kilgrave. MAYBE Ronan, and MAYBE Ultron, but those are both pretty big maybes right now.)

I posted this just shy of 4 in the morning, after dreaming about Kilgrave all night. He is scary as hell. I can't remember the last time I was this genuinely frightened by a fictional villain. I had to take today off from the show just to recover.

You're not kidding. The dude literally gave me nightmares as well. o.O