PDA

View Full Version : The Flaming Lips

Watashi
02-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Because they like need a thread too.

ledfloyd
02-25-2008, 07:20 PM
i got UFOs at the zoo recently and it has got to be one of the greatest concert films ever. right up there with the lasst waltz and stop making sense IMO.

Watashi
02-25-2008, 07:24 PM
i got UFOs at the zoo recently and it has got to be one of the greatest concert films ever. right up there with the lasst waltz and stop making sense IMO.
Yes, I know D_Davis pimps that concert a lot. I must see it.

D_Davis
02-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Yep, it is awesome.

Almost as much fun as being there.

Lasse
02-25-2008, 07:56 PM
I need to watch that concert.

As for my favorite album, it's gotta be Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots. Most of the songs on there are just really, really good.

D_Davis
02-25-2008, 08:02 PM
In a Priest Driven Ambulance is my favorite.

I prefer the Flips when they rocked.

MadMan
02-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Recommendations? I've only heard one song from them (I wish I could remember what song it was) and I liked it. They seem to interest me on a certain level.

D_Davis
02-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Do you like rock, I mean, really rockin' rock?

If so, get In a Priest Driven Ambulance.

It rules, hard.

MadMan
02-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Do you like rock, I mean, really rockin' rock?

If so, get In a Priest Driven Ambulance.

It rules, hard.I'll try and check out that one first. And of course I love rock 'n' roll. Its my favorite type of music.

Now I remember what song I've heard: Do You Realize?. Good stuff.

Llopin
02-25-2008, 09:18 PM
I'll agree in that their earlier albums are the best. Ambulance, Satellite and Clouds are the winning trivium for me.

I saw 'em live two years ago and it was all very festive and stuff but I just cannot enjoy much their current showy attitude.

Velocipedist
02-25-2008, 09:49 PM
I like Zaireeka!

D_Davis
02-25-2008, 09:52 PM
I'll agree in that their earlier albums are the best. Ambulance, Satellite and Clouds are the winning trivium for me.

Yep.

Man, do I ever miss Ronald on the guitar. His work on Satellite and Clouds is amazing.

ledfloyd
02-25-2008, 09:59 PM
I'll try and check out that one first. And of course I love rock 'n' roll. Its my favorite type of music.

Now I remember what song I've heard: Do You Realize?. Good stuff.
get Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots first. Do You Realize is on it. And if you like that song it's a safe bet you'll enjoy the entire album.

as much as i love transmissions from the satellite heart and clouds taste metallic, i'm a much bigger fan of post-zaireeka lips.

In a Priest Driven Ambulance is out of print by the way. You have to buy "They Shot a Hole in the Jesus Egg" which comes with the album and then a second disc of demos and outtakes and stuff. I think it's alot less likely to win someone over than Yoshimi or Transmissions.

bac0n
02-25-2008, 09:59 PM
My first exposure to The Lips was The Soft Bulletin. One of the few albums that has actually made me tear up when listening to it (and not out of sadness, mind you). It still affects me deeply.

D_Davis
02-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I think it's alot less likely to win someone over than Yoshimi or Transmissions.

I disagree. It's far more straightforward. It's simply a great album of amazing rock songs devoid of a lot of the grandiose posturing and loftiness found in the Flip's newer stuff.

This was the album to really turn me on.

I like Soft Bulletin, a lot, but I haven't been thrilled with much that they've done since.

I think they've lost their direction and their ability to write simple, catchy tunes.

Acapelli
02-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Clouds Taste Metallic is my fave.

MadMan
02-26-2008, 02:23 AM
get Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots first. Do You Realize is on it. And if you like that song it's a safe bet you'll enjoy the entire album.

as much as i love transmissions from the satellite heart and clouds taste metallic, i'm a much bigger fan of post-zaireeka lips.

In a Priest Driven Ambulance is out of print by the way. You have to buy "They Shot a Hole in the Jesus Egg" which comes with the album and then a second disc of demos and outtakes and stuff. I think it's alot less likely to win someone over than Yoshimi or Transmissions.Hmm that's a good suggestion. I did preview Yoshimi on Amazon.com earlier today.

I actually checked Amazon.com and I think there was a copy of In a Priest Driven Ambulance. But I could be mistaken.

ledfloyd
02-26-2008, 02:37 AM
I disagree. It's far more straightforward. It's simply a great album of amazing rock songs devoid of a lot of the grandiose posturing and loftiness found in the Flip's newer stuff.

This was the album to really turn me on.

I like Soft Bulletin, a lot, but I haven't been thrilled with much that they've done since.

I think they've lost their direction and their ability to write simple, catchy tunes.
i love in a priest driven ambulance. i could just see someone not used to their music finding it abrasive. i don't think it's as catchy or straightforward as transmissions. speaking of albums that turn you on. turn it on is one of my favorite opening tracks ever.

i can see where you might get that they've lost the ability to write a catchy tune. alot of yoshimi gets stuck in my head. unfortunately the worst parts of mystics get stuck in my head.

i'm not arguing that their older stuff wasn't good, just saying that the new stuff is every bit as good in my eyes.

i'm excited for their next album which is rumored to be out towards the end of the year.

D_Davis
02-26-2008, 03:29 AM
I hear ya.

I think Mystics is terrible. It's by far their worse produced and written album. It has no dynamics at all, except for LOUD!!!!

Unfortunately, the Flips have fallen in love with the studio, and have forgotten what it means to be a band.

ledfloyd
02-26-2008, 04:52 AM
I hear ya.

I think Mystics is terrible. It's by far their worse produced and written album. It has no dynamics at all, except for LOUD!!!!

Unfortunately, the Flips have fallen in love with the studio, and have forgotten what it means to be a band.
there's some good moments, i like pompeii am gutterdam and the wand. vein of stars is pretty good. easily their worst though. their live show is still amazing at least. and i'm holding out hope for the next album.

ledfloyd
09-17-2009, 06:58 AM
new album is streaming on the colbert site.

MadMan
09-17-2009, 07:09 AM
I hear ya.

Unfortunately, the Flips have fallen in love with the studio, and have forgotten what it means to be a band.Really? Sure its no Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, but I love it and think its great. I own the regular version, but thanks to my public library I was able to hear the special edition, which was also quite cool and featured a few more bonus tracks.

And of course I own Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. I drove around listening to that CD for weeks.

Ivan Drago
09-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Derek
09-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is the best album about pink robots ever conceived.

Adam
09-18-2009, 08:17 PM
I feel like the Flaming Lips are one of those bands that I just completely missed the boat on. So many people whose opinions I fully respect fellate them on a regular basis, but I dunno, I just don't get them. And it's weird, because they do come off to me as an amalgam of a buttload of acts that I really do dig and whatnot, but for whatever reason it never clicks with The Lips

So what am I missing?

Thirdmango
09-20-2009, 12:05 PM
I often wonder that too Adam, as when it comes to the Yoshimi Album, I love the title track but just don't see anything else on the album as any good.

MadMan
10-14-2009, 07:36 AM
They were on Conan tonight, and they really brought down the house. They appear to be quite crazy live-this was the first time I've seen them perform-but I liked the energy.

Our Aurora
10-14-2009, 06:10 PM
...They appear to be quite crazy live...

Understatement of the century?

MadMan
10-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Understatement of the century?True. But I wasn't expecting this kind of crazy. That's kind of what I was trying to say.

Derek
10-15-2009, 05:43 PM
My favorite Flaming Lips live story (well, really the only one I know, but it's good) was from a friend of a friend who saw them live in a small indoor venue maybe 7 or 8 years ago. It was apparently very cramped and the people in animal suits were roaming/running throughout the crowd. Well there was this one panda who kept running into her who knocked 2 or 3 drinks out of her hand and pissing her off throughout the night. Later that night, she ended up talking to a guy at the bar and liking him quite a bit until she eventually found he was the belligerent panda.