PDA

View Full Version : Son of Saul (Laszlo Nemes)

Ezee E
09-13-2015, 02:55 PM
http://welovebudapest.com/image/mtu5lte3otk3ndy.1.exact726w.jp g?v=3

IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3808342/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

Morris Schæffer
10-29-2015, 11:44 AM
No reactions? I stumbled onto this film yesterday when someome I knew mentioned this movie. I sort of shrugged, told him the title was unfamiliar to me.

So I suppose I can't react either, but this shot to the top of my must see list.

Ezee E
11-01-2015, 04:50 PM
No reactions? I stumbled onto this film yesterday when someome I knew mentioned this movie. I sort of shrugged, told him the title was unfamiliar to me.

So I suppose I can't react either, but this shot to the top of my must see list.

Probably the best of the year so far.

baby doll
02-05-2016, 08:40 PM
Probably the best of the year so far.It's too early for me to say whether I agree with this (2015 was pretty spectacular year, at least if one factors in several major films that haven't opened commercially in the States: The Exquisite Corpus, Frenzy, Mountains May Depart, Night Without Distance), but clearly it's way up there.

Peng
02-13-2016, 01:48 PM
One thing nags me a bit: I love the conception of Saul's quest, but the extreme realism in every other aspect (direction, performances, images, the intricate society within the camp, and the planned rebellion) makes the progress of his "son" storyline quite schematic in a way that hurts its aesthetic of seeing the world through Saul's eyes for me. We are maybe too much aware of other people's problems, so that our sympathy shifts away from Saul (and his lives-threatening quest) quite significantly at times. Whatever subtext/symbolism that can be gained from that contrast doesn't quite synch with the growing frustration I feel for other prisoners, despite the film wanting so much to put us in Saul's shoes.

Other than that, yeah, it's pretty much astounding the whole way through. Top 5 of the year for me.

baby doll
02-13-2016, 02:15 PM
One thing nags me a bit: I love the conception of Saul's quest, but the extreme realism in every other aspect (direction, performances, images, the intricate society within the camp, and the planned rebellion) makes the progress of his "son" storyline quite schematic in a way that hurts its aesthetic of seeing the world through Saul's eyes for me. We are maybe too much aware of other people's problems, so that our sympathy shifts away from Saul (and his lives-threatening quest) quite significantly at times. Whatever subtext/symbolism that can be gained from that contrast doesn't quite synch with the growing frustration I feel for other prisoners, despite the film wanting so much to put us in Saul's shoes.One of the strengths of the film is that Saul isn't an unambiguously sympathetic hero. The movie leaves it up to the viewer to decide whether his goal is noble or absurd (hence, the ambiguity over whether the boy is actually is son, or if he even had a son in the first place).

TGM
02-27-2016, 09:16 PM
O.O Holy shit what a movie.