PDA

View Full Version : The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water (Paul Tibbitt)

Henry Gale
07-26-2015, 12:30 AM
IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2279373/) / Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_SpongeBob_Movie:_Sponge_Ou t_of_Water)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SdCRW2H_pog/VMjvTGlESdI/AAAAAAAAAJI/3ASMNDwVh_g/s1600/spongebob_out_of_water_new_pos ter-20151%2B%282%29.jpg

Henry Gale
07-26-2015, 01:07 AM
This thing is kinda nuts, you guys.

The "kids movie" of recent years it reminded me most of was Rango. And though this movie's meta musings and structural self-awareness doesn't quite coalescence as beautifully as it did with Verbinski's film's choose-your-own-adventure protagonist's journey, it's still pretty wild when it wants to be. Once SpongeBob and Plankton began haphazardly time-travelling and eventually met up with a cloaked dolphin (voiced by Matt Berry, no less) overseeing all of time and space, I knew this movie was absolutely going for it more than the 2004 movie ever did. I never thought a Spongebob movie in 2015 would be this fun to justify its existence, let alone be as bizarre and transgressive as it is.

It might go without saying, if you've found yourself in a lull for movies to get joyfully high to, this thing almost makes it its visual mission statement before anything else. It's also worth pointing out that box office-wise this made double the original movie both domestically and overseas, which, 3D surcharges aside, is kind of stunning considering what I would've considered the cultural vitality of the characters back then compared to now. But it's a much better and weirder movie, so I welcome its crazy success!

It may or may not be a total coincidence that this and Rango are also two of the last three animated releases from the Nickelodeon Movies brand (the third being Tintin apparently, which doesn't seem like it fits in the same way since I just see that as a Spielberg movie), but seeing as the live action films they've made in that time have been failures ranging from admirably nostalgic (Fun Size, basically the Halloween-set version of their 2000 movie Snow Day) to just oh-god-what-the-fuck-are-you-doing (The Last Airbender, the Bay-produced Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), I feel like this arm of the studio needs to be a lot more present amongst the output we see from major studios (c'mon Paramount, you can release more than a handful of things a year again!), as they're at a point where they have made two beautifully goofy and ultra-esoteric genre-and-reality-bending comedies and a $135 million Tintin movie (with another hopefully on the way). It's like eating euphorically delicious candy and then realizing there were vitamins in them too. The mainstream landscape needs more of whatever the hell Nick Movies is doing! (...is something I never thought I'd say..) Oh right, and hopefully the kids enjoy them too.

*** / 7.6

Ivan Drago
07-26-2015, 01:11 AM
Once SpongeBob and Plankton began haphazardly time-travelling and eventually met up with a cloaked dolphin (voiced by Matt Berry, no less) overseeing all of time and space, I knew this movie was absolutely going for it more than the 2004 movie ever did.

....Based on this and solely this, I regret missing this movie in theaters.