PDA

View Full Version : Magic Mike XXL (Gregory Jacobs)

number8
07-19-2015, 01:36 AM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/df/Magic_mike_xxl.jpg

number8
07-19-2015, 01:43 AM
This is really good.

A completely different movie from the first one. It drops the original's earnest (and mostly successful) attempt at character study in favor of a pure crowd pleaser. I've heard it described as a "victory lap" for the first movie and that's completely accurate. But what makes it equally as fascinating is how authentic and relatable it is as a male-driven movie (written and directed by men, with an all-male main cast, about intense male bonding) while being obviously a giant fan service for women not just in the eye candy department but also in its screenplay. I don't think it's out of mark to call it Feminist Entourage. It is its exact polar opposite: it's a comedy about a bunch of tight-knit bros hanging out, but they genuinely like relating and talking to all sorts of women, and unlike the Entourage guys, there's zero "no homo" jokes when they compliment and support and be physically affectionate with one another. It's a very aspirational portrait of straight men.

It's kind of an amazing movie.

Henry Gale
07-19-2015, 08:30 PM
It might be my greatest regret (at least movie-going-related..) of this year that I didn't opt to see this opening weekend with a high-energy, hooting and hollering crowd. My sister got to see it a screening a week and a half early and I've been jealous ever since. (I got to see Spoon the same night, but still!)

But everything you said falls generally into the best case, non-surface-level amusing, outcome of it as an actual movie as I'd hoped it to be.

Barty
07-20-2015, 10:50 PM
This is really good.

A completely different movie from the first one. It drops the original's earnest (and mostly successful) attempt at character study in favor of a pure crowd pleaser. I've heard it described as a "victory lap" for the first movie and that's completely accurate. But what makes it equally as fascinating is how authentic and relatable it is as a male-driven movie (written and directed by men, with an all-male main cast, about intense male bonding) while being obviously a giant fan service for women not just in the eye candy department but also in its screenplay. I don't think it's out of mark to call it Feminist Entourage. It is its exact polar opposite: it's a comedy about a bunch of tight-knit bros hanging out, but they genuinely like relating and talking to all sorts of women, and unlike the Entourage guys, there's zero "no homo" jokes when they compliment and support and be physically affectionate with one another. It's a very aspirational portrait of straight men.

100% Accurate.

Peng
09-02-2015, 05:09 AM
This is really good.

Yes. Really this. The first one was dour, with a couple of lackluster sibling characters that are pretty central to the plot. This one jettisons them and repositions its view of the profession, as economic transactions (similar to the first one), but based on and in need of mutual happiness, instead of above all happiness like the original. Staying breezy and conflict-free without ever being heavy-handed, it really feels like a celebration that is both casually inclusive and progressive. Pretty joyous stuff.

Watashi
10-29-2015, 08:10 AM
I really doubt anything is going to top this as my favorite movie of the year. Not even Star Wars.

number8
10-29-2015, 06:23 PM
That's for bumping the thread, cause I just wrote this: http://www.artboiled.com/2015/where-magic-mike-and-70s-cinema-converge/

dreamdead
01-01-2016, 11:09 AM
This is marvelous, a corrective to the original which underwhelmed whenever it focused on a love angle that didn't have enough quality acting behind it, and legitimately thrilling throughout. Although it adheres to a classical structure, it's so excited by itself that the energy builds and that finale is just beyond entertaining.

Also, I really liked how focused it was on recording women's experiences within this climate. Sincere and wonderful, this one.