PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Robot (2015)

Acapelli
07-17-2015, 04:02 AM
This is actually good.

Edit: also just realized I screwed up the thread title. Feel like a pretty big dum dum

Irish
07-17-2015, 08:13 PM
I checked this out because you mentioned it here (and, tbh, because it had "robot" in the title.)

Dug the first episode. I'm generally not a fan of "world conspiracy" stuff (I tapped out of Person of Interest after 4 or 5 seasons because Jesus that stuff gets tedious).

But I like the lead on this one & the VO's sardonic tone & the way this is shot & edited.

Good show, so far.

Dukefrukem
07-17-2015, 11:03 PM
There's some pretty cool viral marketing going on on their twitter page. I'm digging it.

https://twitter.com/whoismrrobot/with_replies

Acapelli
07-23-2015, 04:00 AM
I checked this out because you mentioned it here (and, tbh, because it had "robot" in the title.)

Dug the first episode. I'm generally not a fan of "world conspiracy" stuff (I tapped out of Person of Interest after 4 or 5 seasons because Jesus that stuff gets tedious).

But I like the lead on this one & the VO's sardonic tone & the way this is shot & edited.

Good show, so far.
wait till you get farther in

Acapelli
07-23-2015, 05:02 AM
this is also the best show not named hannibal airing this summer

Thirdmango
07-25-2015, 03:27 PM
I'm digging it but I really had a hard time starting it because it feels like it will have the curse of USA shows. Besides Psych I haven't finished any of USA's shows. They all have very compelling first seasons and then they just tread water forever and I eventually get too bored to keep going. So I'm sort of concerned this might become yet another boring USA drama in a season or two.

Acapelli
08-03-2015, 04:04 AM
this is really unlike any other usa show. really don't understand how this is on usa honestly

if you're not watching this and you're wasting your time with any other tv drama this summer (except for hannibal or rectify) then you're a dum dum

sorry to resort to namecalling

Acapelli
08-11-2015, 04:17 AM
gonna keep posting in this thread till someone else watches this with me

shaun
08-13-2015, 03:51 PM
I'm obsessed. The tech is fairly accurate too, like actually using Kali Linux and SET on-screen in real world pentest scenarios.

Last night's episode was amazing.

E: Saw this on reddit. "Want to get high and watch your favorite movie?"
https://i.imgur.com/dfnk7So.jpg

shaun
08-13-2015, 09:20 PM
Another attention to technical detail thing.

In case you were wondering why Elliot would be "hiding" so much evidence on CDs, which would be extremely poor opsec, last night they showed him opening up one of the discs with DeepSound, which is a steganography tool used to embed files into other audio files. They don't even mention it. It's the little things that get me geeked up.

Acapelli
08-16-2015, 08:04 PM
yeah the most recent ep was incredible. have no idea what's going to happen in the finale, but i can't wait

Acapelli
08-16-2015, 08:10 PM
http://cowbeef.tumblr.com/post/124491200406/mr-robot-title-cards

slqrick
08-30-2015, 04:57 PM
This show is really good. The voiceover is a Dexter ripoff but that show's narration didn't have nearly the immediacy or bite that it does here. Great cast, and timely storytelling. The score takes cues liberally from stuff like Drive and It Follows, but it's pretty perfect for the show.

number8
09-01-2015, 11:18 AM
This is one of the strongest pilots I can remember in a while.

I've been rooting for Rami Malek for a long time. Really cool to see he's finally blowing up because of this show.

dreamdead
09-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Yeah, we watched the pilot last night. Color us intrigued--it's got great visual spacing and packs in a lot in a mere hour. Not sure how fast we'll be able to power through, but there was great design. The Coney Island ferris wheel sliding into place was a jolt each time; I kept expecting some sort of background scare.

Considering we're working up the energy to start Halt and Catch Fire for the critically praised second season, I'm hopeful that this show also knows how to bring some of the female characters out from the background.

Grouchy
10-03-2015, 02:28 PM
Three episodes in, I'm already very intrigued by this and enjoying the visual style a lot. The opening credits have a Kubrickian vibe.

One thing I'm afraid of is that they are going to go with a Fight Club twist and show that the protagonist has been Mr. Robot all along. I really hope that's not where this is headed, it would be too obvious.

Russ
10-03-2015, 03:43 PM
Three episodes in, I'm already very intrigued by this and enjoying the visual style a lot. The opening credits have a Kubrickian vibe.

One thing I'm afraid of is that they are going to go with a Fight Club twist and show that the protagonist has been Mr. Robot all along. I really hope that's not where this is headed, it would be too obvious.

Well, it's not affectionately known online as Byte Club for nothing!

Grouchy
10-09-2015, 05:15 PM
Well, it's not affectionately known online as Byte Club for nothing!
Watched episode eight last night. Well played, TV show. I loved how the V.O. made fun of my expectations.

Grouchy
10-10-2015, 06:00 PM
Ok, this is fucking brilliant.

Give it a few months so that more people will watch it and I guarantee it's bound to become as big as Breaking Bad.

dreamdead
10-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Ok, this is fucking brilliant.

Give it a few months so that more people will watch it and I guarantee it's bound to become as big as Breaking Bad.

I'm enjoying it, albeit by watching another episode once every few weeks since we're busy. That said, I would doubt that Mr Robot is able to transform into a singular experience simply because Amazon and not Netflix won the streaming rights, and I've never seen anything that Amazon has had exclusive rights to blow up. Simply a different number of subscribers that deny the ability for a show to blossom radically.

The series does have a unique vision and I'd like to see it succeed.

Grouchy
10-12-2015, 09:16 AM
I'm enjoying it, albeit by watching another episode once every few weeks since we're busy. That said, I would doubt that Mr Robot is able to transform into a singular experience simply because Amazon and not Netflix won the streaming rights, and I've never seen anything that Amazon has had exclusive rights to blow up. Simply a different number of subscribers that deny the ability for a show to blossom radically.

The series does have a unique vision and I'd like to see it succeed.
I get what you're saying but you need to factor in the inmense amount of people who'll just download it as I did.

Lazlo
10-12-2015, 12:51 PM
I get what you're saying but you need to factor in the inmense amount of people who'll just download it as I did.

The numbers on that are probably way lower than you think. Most people have no clue about torrenting.

Grouchy
10-13-2015, 02:54 PM
The numbers on that are probably way lower than you think. Most people have no clue about torrenting.
Well, you are right about this. Most people I know IRL don't know how to download torrents.

There are still plenty other websites that allow you to watch shows via streaming, though.

Mara
01-01-2016, 04:03 PM
Finally, finally got around to this and it did not disappoint. Great storytelling, a compelling lead, arresting visuals... even the musical choices are brilliant.

All that said, I feel Slater was miscast.

Totally in for season 2. Everyone should be watching this.

Morris Schæffer
01-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Watched the pilot episode. Sure, I'm gonna see it through. It's got some cool vibes, the music is very pulsating. Is that even a word? I'm using subtitles, but funniest thing is that when I saw Slater's arcade for the first time, I just ignored the subs and dialogue and tried to spot as many arcade games as possible.

Morris Schæffer
02-03-2016, 06:48 PM
Watched the pilot episode. Sure, I'm gonna see it through. It's got some cool vibes, the music is very pulsating. Is that even a word? I'm using subtitles, but funniest thing is that when I saw Slater's arcade for the first time, I just ignored the subs and dialogue and tried to spot as many arcade games as possible.

I....I thought it was merely solid. It has some cool vibes, it's definitely not pandering to the lowest common denominator, but it has a cold, detached veneer that may very well be in tune with what this show is about for the most part, but I didn't find that as engaging as I had hoped. I mean, I pretty much fall quickly in love with a lot of new shows if the ratings are strong, but I'm not at that point right now.

In the end, I just wasn't itching to start a new episode, but I also never wanted to give up on it. The twist at the end with that guy and that girl, well, shit, that probably wasn't the greatest ever either. It felt unneeded. They have a heist too and in its favor it's not what you'd expect, but I sure expected something more absorbing given the huge things these folks were about to do. I never expected a thrill-a-minute ride, which is great, but this just didn't stir me.