PDA

View Full Version : Dope (Rick Famuyiwa)

number8
07-16-2015, 06:30 PM
http://40.media.tumblr.com/78938afb205a9b2690ae7e33465d61 61/tumblr_nq5yiyP4F41s3mlhro1_128 0.jpg

number8
07-16-2015, 06:30 PM
New favorite movie.

I would hang a poster of this film if it wasn't such a bullshit photoshop job.

D_Davis
07-16-2015, 07:07 PM
I want to see this.

Trailer game me a similar vibe to a favorite of mind from years ago: Gravesend.

Ezee E
07-16-2015, 09:01 PM
Saw a great poster of this in Sundance. Why would they change it to this? Nobody would want to see this movie from that poster.

Ivan Drago
07-17-2015, 12:38 AM
Yeah, the more I think about this movie, the more I like it.

TGM
09-09-2015, 08:23 PM
I dunno why this randomly got re-released in theaters again already, but I'm glad it did, since I actually got a chance to see it this time around. Damn good movie, definitely worth checking out on this second go-around for anyone who may have missed it as well.

Ezee E
12-11-2015, 05:47 AM
It's too bad this didn't get much attention. Weird plot points be damned, this was one of the more enjoyable movies of the year. The camaraderie between the leads is probably the best in a movie this year, and it's pretty dang funny too. I'm guessing the selling of drugs without any repercussion kept it from widely being talked about it, perhaps?

Love the soundtrack. Love that it actually feels like a movie that feels like it's in this generation with the use of technology. Yeah, one of my favorites of the year.

DavidSeven
02-19-2016, 06:44 PM
I dig the film's style and its overall vibe. It's probably the coolest feeling movie of the year.

But I don't buy these kids as nerds or geeks. Not with their perfectly accessorized throwback outfits, model good looks, and participation in a punk bank with N.E.R.D. level production. Their biggest collective quirk is that they treasure the music of N.W.A., Tupac, Biggie, et. al. This does not strike me as an ostracizing trait, especially in the ghettos of Southern California. Highlighting their intelligence seems fine; harping on their "outcast" status rings false. Even beyond that, the film's protagonist never jumped out as a truly authentic character to me. Shameik Moore plays Malcolm as almost annoyingly passive in every aspect of his life, except when narrative convenience has him morph into an audacious enterpriser. Keep your sneakers from a school bully or talk to a girl? Too risky. Plot against a dangerous drug lord? Sounds good?

It's still a pretty cool and entertainingly stylish movie in spite of the artifice. Like a non-white bread Wes Anderson. I think it accomplishes mostly what it wants in that regard.