PDA

View Full Version : South Park

Saya
11-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Did anyone watch the last part of the Imaginationland trilogy?

I think it was the weakest part of the trilogy, but still pretty good though. It could have used a fight between Al Gore and Manbearpig.

Kurosawa Fan
11-03-2007, 12:40 PM
I wish I watched this show more often. I'm not really sure why I don't.

DSNT
11-03-2007, 02:58 PM
I watched it and agree the finale was sort of a letdown, although there were a few decent parts (cavity critters was good). So far the season is pretty solid, however, so I'm not complaining.

MadMan
11-03-2007, 05:59 PM
I wish I watched this show more often. I'm not really sure why I don't.Same here. I've caught up on many episodes via reruns. I did catch some of the Imaginationland trilogy and what I saw was utterly hilarious (the dry balls and "They're raping me! They're raaaaaaping meeeeee!!!!").

number8
11-03-2007, 11:24 PM
I kind of expected it. They did all the jokes they could about the Imagination and the ran out of the fun of seeing these trademarked characters South Park-ized. The only thing left was to do the big battle, wrap it up, and do that moral message (which was real predictable). Still a goshdarn funny ep, though. I love the rare moments when Butters swear.

Al Gore was the funniest part of the ep, and yes, they should have had him fight ManBearPig.

Saya
11-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Still a goshdarn funny ep, though. I love the rare moments when Butters swear.

Butters had some great moments these last couple episodes. He was hilarious in the Tourettes episode too.

It seems they will do something with Guitar Hero in the next episode. :)

http://i23.tinypic.com/33ljj0i.jpg

DSNT
11-08-2007, 04:18 AM
To Jay Cutler: "you suck, but my dad says you'll be good one day."

Stan playing Skid Row guitar hero in a bowling alley.

The kid playing "acoustic" guitar hero in the French cafe.

Heroin Hero!!! ::lol:

I love this show. :pritch:

number8
11-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Oh my god, Heroin Hero was too good.

DSNT
11-08-2007, 11:37 AM
You never catch the dragon!

Ivan Drago
11-08-2007, 01:15 PM
As a Guitar Hero addict, I need to see the newest episode. And I caught the beginning of the final part of the Imaginationland trilogy, and it caught my interest.

I may be getting back into this show.

Saya
11-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Randy Marsh playing Carry on My Wayward Son was such an awesome moment.

The acoustic guitar hero was funny too. :lol:

Hmm, I liked how different Cartman was in this episode. It was a nice change.

Thirdmango
11-10-2007, 12:07 AM
The three part episode was hard to get into though I guess the payoff of Imagination Kyle was pretty good. This show does a lot better when in the format of keeping it to one episode a time, the two part episodes are fun once in a while but having two seasons with two doubles and one triple is getting a little tiring. The Heroin Hero episode was a nice change after the long three week event. I don't know if I'll ever grow super tired of this show as it always gives me something I want.

number8
11-15-2007, 07:50 AM
That was old school tonight. Kenny's death rocked.

Saya
11-15-2007, 04:39 PM
http://images.southparkstudios.com/img/content/news/3347a.jpg

"Hey...what's goin' on?" Clyde suddenly becoming the popular guy was awesome.

It was a really good throwback episode. The ending was great! They were even having pop tarts.

Henry Gale
11-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Last night's was definately a great return to all the schoolyard episodes they haven't done in a while (as much as I love stuff like Imaginationland and Guitar Queer-O).

Plus there's just something really enjoyable when they have the kind of big adventures the kids have been through all season and then their smaller plans can be foiled by something like them not knowing that girls don't have balls.

DSNT
11-27-2007, 12:34 AM
Eric Cartman introducing the Colorado football team. (http://www.coo-whip.net/play.php?vid=1001)

:D

MadMan
11-27-2007, 03:20 AM
Eric Cartman introducing the Colorado football team. (http://www.coo-whip.net/play.php?vid=1001)

:DAwesome. Just simply awesome.

number8
11-27-2007, 03:39 AM
I don't watch football and even I laughed.

Saya
03-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Did anyone see the first episode of the new season?

I thought it was a pretty good opening of a season. Not all jokes worked, but I thought the ending with the cure for aids was golden.

number8
03-16-2008, 10:32 PM
I thought it was a pretty good opening of a season.

Are you sure?

Kurosawa Fan
03-16-2008, 11:41 PM
I wasn't very impressed. The fight was the only part of the episode I really liked.

DSNT
03-18-2008, 01:27 AM
That episode was about as meh as South Park can get.

Sycophant
03-18-2008, 01:48 AM
At one point, I had set a goal for myself to become one of South Park's greatest fan authorities. Then season nine happened and I just haven't cared so much.

The show can be pretty meh.

Barty
03-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Anyone watch last nights episodes? I mean....jeez.

number8
03-20-2008, 11:35 PM
Anyone watch last nights episodes? I mean....jeez.

I thought it was pretty amazing, myself. The Donald Sutherland cameo made me choke on my drink.

Barty
03-20-2008, 11:41 PM
I thought it was pretty amazing, myself. The Donald Sutherland cameo made me choke on my drink.

Oh it was amazing, just shocking in a lot of ways.

number8
03-20-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm sure it hit too close for comfort for a lot of people. But it's not the first time South Park has attacked their own demographic.

monolith94
03-20-2008, 11:50 PM
That thing with Brittney was... disturbing.

Rowland
03-21-2008, 02:05 AM
Yep, great beginning. The ending when Kyle and Stan shrugged their shoulders and began chanting with everyone else was oddly creepy, as it should be.

Dead & Messed Up
03-21-2008, 02:19 AM
Wowo. I don't know how necessary that missing head was, but I'll be damned if it wasn't effective.

Probably the first episode where I loved it despite not laughing a single time.

Barty
03-21-2008, 02:49 AM
Probably the first episode where I loved it despite not laughing a single time.

Yeah, it wasn't a laugh out loud episode, but the "That's enough to buy slaves!" line was pretty damn funny.

Ezee E
03-21-2008, 02:53 AM
The Body Snatchers moment was hilarious.

Hugh_Grant
03-21-2008, 03:20 PM
The English teacher in me laughed out loud at all "The Lottery" references. I wonder how many people picked up on those allusions.

Thirdmango
03-23-2008, 09:23 PM
I just watched the first two episodes. The fight in the first episode was awesome. Other then that there were still heres and theres are liked but overall, just meh. Still I love the show.

Barty
04-03-2008, 04:23 AM
Holy crap, The battle of the internet sensations was the funniest thing ever. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Rowland
04-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Damn, I missed the new episode. What's their schedule for replaying new episodes, anyone know?

Thirdmango
04-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Weird episode. I had never seen about half of those things on youtube until today, but it's interesting cause almost all comments on each video are tons of people saying "I'm not your buddy, guy." and the other two.

Kurosawa Fan
04-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Damn, I missed the new episode. What's their schedule for replaying new episodes, anyone know?

You can watch it at southparkstudios.com.

It was the first good episode of the season.

Rowland
04-04-2008, 06:10 PM
You can watch it at southparkstudios.com.

It was the first good episode of the season.Thank you sir.

Funny episode. The WGA satire feels a bit played out, but the internet meme sequence brought it home.

number8
04-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Funny episode. The WGA satire feels a bit played out, but the internet meme sequence brought it home.

At the very least, it's saying something about the strike that I don't think has been said enough before. I think they made it out of genuine frustration over the result of the strike ("I'm not your buddy, guy!").

Also, I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but I think the whole internet fight thing was yet another dig at Family Guy.

DSNT
04-04-2008, 10:25 PM
What, what, in the butt .. I can't figure out which is funnier, the South Park version, or the real version that I looked up after. :D

The last two eps have been premium grade.

Dead & Messed Up
04-05-2008, 01:30 AM
I thought exactly one moment was good in the last episode: the dramatic gopher having Scanners powers. Apart from that, I have to say I wasn't laughing at all. The WGA satire was weak (and completely inaccurate), and the Canada stuff just felt like recycled stuff from the movie.

Argh. That's four episodes in a row that have left me wanting. My favorite one of the season - the Britney one - wasn't even trying to be funny.

number8
04-17-2008, 05:37 AM
Guilty.

Ivan Drago
07-28-2008, 05:05 PM
I've been really getting back into this show in recent weeks - especially the World of Warcraft episode that was on Saturday - I thought it was freakin' hysterical.

"MORE HOT POCKETS!" :lol:

Barty
10-09-2008, 06:10 AM
Good God. :|

Sven
10-09-2008, 06:15 AM
Had its ups, had its flatlines... they've done better, done worse. Falls victim to the worst of South Park cliches, but has some exquisite touches. Here's hoping the rest are better, because before this episode, I think this season has been the strongest one they've had so far.

number8
10-09-2008, 01:54 PM

HAHAHAHAHA.

Ezee E
10-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Wow, just wow.

So if Barty dresses up as Indiana Jones for Christmas, I think Wats should be Deliverance-Spielberg.

Saya
10-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Oh. My. God.

I'm surprised they actually they actually were allowed to show to those rape scenes, I thought it was pretty graphic for TV.

Ivan Drago
10-09-2008, 04:22 PM

I was wondering how you'd react to it. What DID you think of Indy 4 by the way?

number8
10-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Oh. My. God.

I'm surprised they actually they actually were allowed to show to those rape scenes, I thought it was pretty graphic for TV.

I don't think you've watched South Park much, then. Mr. Garrison's sex scene with Richard Dawkins was far more explicit. They even showed his/her maligned boobs.

number8
10-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Wow, just wow.

So if Barty dresses up as Indiana Jones for Christmas, I think Wats should be Deliverance-Spielberg.

I propose we force them to do this. And demand pictures.

Saya
10-09-2008, 06:27 PM
I don't think you've watched South Park much, then. Mr. Garrison's sex scene with Richard Dawkins was far more explicit. They even showed his/her maligned boobs.

I remember that sex scene you are talking about, but I can't really say that was more explicit. You are right that you see a couple of disfigured boobies, but I think a rape scene is the most explicit thing you can show on TV or film for that matter.

It's good that they continue to push the envelop though.

Kurosawa Fan
10-09-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm with Sven. Some moments worked for me, others fell flat as hell. Though I personally don't think this is one of their best seasons. In fact, I've found it fairly stale for the most part.

number8
10-10-2008, 02:38 AM
I didn't like Cartman and Butters' plot, but I found the entire Indy thing hysterical.

Ezee E
10-10-2008, 02:40 AM
I didn't like Cartman and Butters' plot, but I found the entire Indy thing hysterical.
The nightmare at the beginning with the Olympic footage was pretty funny, the rest was pretty much forgettable. I wonder if that happened to be two episodes at one point consolidated into one.

Dead & Messed Up
10-12-2008, 06:29 AM
It's good that they continue to push the envelop though.

I'm down with them not limiting themselves if there's a potential for comedy, but lately it seems like they're not limiting themselves just because, I dunno, transgression is fun for them. "Eek a Penis," "Tonsil Trouble," "Britney's New Look," and parts of "Overlogging" reeked of Trey and Matt desperately looking for a new way to shock me.

Did anybody think the whole Indy plotline would've been a lot funnier if they'd actually, you know, discussed the movie? Instead of showing the same rape joke four times?

Maybe it's a rule that, after eight seasons, a cartoon show begins to deteriorate.

Qrazy
10-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Hmmm I felt they managed to make Aids and child molestation mildly amusing... rape... still not funny.

number8
10-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Did anybody think the whole Indy plotline would've been a lot funnier if they'd actually, you know, discussed the movie? Instead of showing the same rape joke four times?

Not really. What would they say? They're not film critics and it's completely irrelevant--not to mention dated--for the show to rip apart the machinations of a summer movie for jokes. It seems to me that they weren't really mocking the movie, but the fandom. The movie sucked ass, yes, they acknowledged that, but in the end what they were mercilessly making fun of was the internet fans becoming hostile and using the "rape" term lightly in comments like "Lucas raped my childhood." They took these comments and realized them in the most awful way possible, going back to them repeatedly and making the rape worse. The repetition--forcing viewers to endure it over and over--is exactly why it's funny as hell.

Dead & Messed Up
10-14-2008, 04:19 AM
Not really. What would they say? They're not film critics and it's completely irrelevant--not to mention dated--for the show to rip apart the machinations of a summer movie for jokes.

Are you serious? They've been deconstructing movie cliches since they started, and it's continued through recent episodes like "D-Yikes," "Night of the Living Homeless," "Guitar Queer-o," and "Major Boobage."

What, pray tell, is relevant and timeless about sticking it to Heavy Metal? But I suspect you and I would agree that timelessness and relevance have little to do with it, since that was a pitch-perfect mockery. I much prefer that to the "topicality" and "relevance" of the putrid "A Million Little Fibers" or "Canada on Strike."

It seems to me that they weren't really mocking the movie, but the fandom.

If they're mocking the fandom, then why did the show culminate with authorities finding Spielberg and Lucas, in reality, raping a Stormtrooper's ass? It seems like a very oblique way of going about their purpose.

The movie sucked ass, yes, they acknowledged that, but in the end what they were mercilessly making fun of was the internet fans becoming hostile and using the "rape" term lightly in comments like "Lucas raped my childhood." They took these comments and realized them in the most awful way possible, going back to them repeatedly and making the rape worse. The repetition--forcing viewers to endure it over and over--is exactly why it's funny as hell.

I saw it as superficial envelope-pushing. The entire premise of the episode is echoed in the awful B-plot with Cartman and Butters - repeat a "shocking" gag until the viewer laughs at the repetition. I didn't laugh once.

Sven
10-16-2008, 03:36 AM
Another great big "eh". Ended too abruptly, punchlines too telegraphed and stale, theme wasn't clear or impassioned. The only decent part was Principal Victoria's speech. I did like Cartman's posing.

number8
10-23-2008, 04:37 PM
:lol:

Thirdmango
10-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Craig?!? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. That reveal was so funny!

Dead & Messed Up
10-24-2008, 03:17 AM
It took way too long for this episode to get going. Once it got to the Cloverfield-inspired silliness, I was down, but then it was over. Hopefully the next episode focuses more on that angle.

Are Peruvian flute bands a common sight? I can't remember ever seeing one.

number8
10-24-2008, 05:15 AM
I hate them.

lemon
10-24-2008, 12:53 PM
The peruvian flute band angle was pretty boring. As always Stan's Dad is hilarious and hopefully they flesh out his cloverfield piece in the next episode. The next episode could be very funny if they focus in on Stan's Dad or somehow get Butters into the mix.

Arthur Seaton
10-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Haven't seen this week's episode, but I loved last week's only because it was a spoof of Three O'Clock High, which might supplant The Lottery for the most obscure allusion ever in SP.

Qrazy
10-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Haven't seen this week's episode, but I loved last week's only because it was a spoof of Three O'Clock High, which might supplant The Lottery for the most obscure allusion ever in SP.

I don't think The Lottery is that obscure, I've seen it referenced quite a lot over the years. 3 O'clock High is pretty obscure though.

Arthur Seaton
10-25-2008, 01:32 AM
I don't think The Lottery is that obscure, I've seen it referenced quite a lot over the years. 3 O'clock High is pretty obscure though.

I guess I should have phrased it as being obscure for a South Park reference. Then again, I used to assume that it was a story everyone read, but most people I know haven't read of it. Maybe I need some more well-read friends.

number8
11-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Tell me that wasn't amazing.

Sven
11-06-2008, 07:05 AM
Pretty much the greatest episode ever. The Randy Marsh factor was out of control.

Barty
11-06-2008, 10:30 AM
This episode was 100% factually correct.

Kurosawa Fan
11-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Well, I'll be the lone voice of dissent. The idea was witty, but I didn't really find much of it very funny. Randy Marsh was fun, but became tiresome pretty quickly. The stuff with Obama/McCain/Palin was nice in theory, but boring in execution. I was indifferent. In fact, that's how I've been for most of this season.

Sycophant
11-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Pretty much the greatest episode ever. The Randy Marsh factor was out of control.
This post very nearly got me to watch my first new South Park episode in over a year. Then Barty and KF posted.

Henry Gale
11-06-2008, 05:21 PM
It wasn't the funniest episode they've ever done, but it was indeed amazing for the fact that much of it was parodying things that hadn't even happened 24 hours before. I think this tops the Saddam stuff in the Christmas In Canada episode for fastest cultural references for the show.

I was trying to think early on if they could have finished most of it to work either way before the actual election results and then just add everything else in depending on who won. But once I finished it was either one of two things: either they were so sure that Obama was going to win that they did most of this ahead of time, or they are the fastest working show on primetime TV.

Still... drunken Randy in the streets singing and dancing to terrible old party songs is maybe one of the funniest things since it came back.

The second part of Pandemic was great too though. Didn't see any comments on those.

number8
11-06-2008, 07:49 PM
I was trying to think early on if they could have finished most of it to work either way before the actual election results and then just add everything else in depending on who won. But once I finished it was either one of two things: either they were so sure that Obama was going to win that they did most of this ahead of time, or they are the fastest working show on primetime TV.

From what I've been able to find out, they had the idea for the heist thing beforehand, but most of the episode (the Obama/McCain supporter's reactions) were written Tuesday night as they saw it on the news.

If you watch Comedy Central often, they didn't even have any ads for the episode until Wednesday afternoon.

Amazing as it is, this is actually not that surprising, they've mastered the fast turnaround thing, because usually they produce an episode in 4 days anyway. They just had to pull an all nighter this time. From this interview I read with Matt Stone, the South Park animation studio is the most hectic place on earth, with Trey Parker running around all over the goddamn place overseeing things, recording voices, directing, hammering ideas with Stone, etc.

Spaceman Spiff
11-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I gotta say, that wasn't as good as I thought it'd be. Randy was annoying, not funny. (And Randy's my favorite character).

I did like Palin being a british criminal mastermind, though.

Thirdmango
11-07-2008, 03:02 AM
Yeah when I watched the episode I saw how they could have come up with all of the basic plot beforehand and then added whoever was the winner to make it into what it was. Sycophant I think you'd like this episode.

Sycophant
11-07-2008, 03:42 AM
They're undoubtedly the fastest working narrative program on television.

So I watched the episode. The main thrust of the show was pretty fun (Parker & Stone are much better at entertainment satire than political satire, so I was grateful for that), but most of the South Park stuff was repetitive and not that fun.

I watched it on the South Park Studios site. Since when did they start allowing out copies with "fuck" and "shit" unbleeped? Caught me off guard.

number8
11-08-2008, 06:06 AM
Hah! Nevermind. Trey Parker told LA Times that they had an Obama episode already written and partly done before the announcement and was just confident he would win.

"Well, we're just going to make the Obama version, and if McCain somehow wins, we're basically just totally screwed," Parker said.

Sycophant
11-08-2008, 07:07 AM
That makes sense. For all the McCain camp noise, all signs pointed to an Obama win.

Qrazy
11-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Yeah I didn't find that episode particularly funny.

Sven
11-13-2008, 02:50 AM
Damn I love this show.

Saya
11-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Such an awesome episode. :lol:

God, I hate that High School Musical crap.

number8
11-13-2008, 03:20 PM
SLAP SLAP SLAP HAPPY!

Kurosawa Fan
11-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Very good. It gets my seal of approval.

Kurosawa Fan
11-21-2008, 03:32 PM
This week's was even better.

Hugh_Grant
11-21-2008, 05:16 PM
This week's was even better.
I loved this week's episode. The goth kids should get a spinoff.

number8
11-21-2008, 06:47 PM
The ending was the best.

"Anyone who thinks they are vampires are frickin' retarded."

Kurosawa Fan
11-21-2008, 06:50 PM
The ending was the best.

"Anyone who thinks they are vampires are frickin' retarded."

"Fuck all of you."

Sven
11-22-2008, 04:22 AM
I was LOL-ing throughout. Excellent season. A couple of duds, but damn.

megladon8
11-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Last night I saw the episode "All About the Mormons".

That was brilliant.

Saya
03-12-2009, 02:40 PM
South Park is back. Season 13. :)

I want to watch it, but southparkstudios episodes are not loading for me now.

Kurosawa Fan
03-12-2009, 03:16 PM
It was alright. The premise could have made for a much funnier episode.

number8
03-12-2009, 06:05 PM
It started out really funny. Then it got lazy in the third act.

EvilShoe
03-12-2009, 06:06 PM
I haven't really enjoyed the last few seasons of the show. Not sure if I should continue.

monolith94
03-14-2009, 07:10 AM
I thought it was quite a good ep. I love Kenny-centric episodes in general, though.

Sven
03-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I was a big fan all the way through. There are certain things that have become staples of the show, making things predictable (ie, if Mickey Mouse shows up, of course he's going to be violent and profane, etc). But they always execute things wittily, I think. I love the Mickey laughs, the JoBros's "Baaaayyy-baaaaaeeeeeyyyy!"s, and the news reporter's comments at the end that Mickey was going back to Valhalla. Hilarious stuff.

I'm kind of a born-again fan of the show, so I can get a little crazy about it. I really liked it for the first few seeasons, then I started to feel that it was getting too "easy." Then, and I think it may've been watching Imaginationland when I had the flu, I realized that it was a totally exciting show.

number8
03-14-2009, 05:46 PM
I think the only thing I thought could've been handled better was Mickey being revealed to be a fraud to the audience in a rant, and then turning into a giant monster. I didn't know what that was about. The Valhalla comment was gold, though.

And I loved Cartman's comment at the funeral, too.

Sven
03-14-2009, 07:13 PM
I think the only thing I thought could've been handled better was Mickey being revealed to be a fraud to the audience in a rant

But the rant was so gratuitous and protracted that it kind of felt like a hyper-active version of that kind of typical villain rant. So it came across to me.

and then turning into a giant monster.

No friggin' way. Blowing fire... that was the best.

number8
03-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Wow...
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfgqEiXW-OU)

monolith94
03-18-2009, 01:51 AM
Wow...
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfgqEiXW-OU)
It's like blue man group, only from hell.

number8
03-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Didn't much like that ep. First act with the Watchmen references and Cartman's Bale-voice was hilarious.

I wrote this article (http://www.justpressplay.net/movies/tv/5021-south-park-and-poes-law-nothin-funnier-than-the-truth.html) on South Park the other day, and now I can add in another example. It's impossible to parody Frank Miller's overwrought writing.

eternity
03-20-2009, 02:21 AM
Didn't much like that ep. First act with the Watchmen references and Cartman's Bale-voice was hilarious.

I wrote this article (http://www.justpressplay.net/movies/tv/5021-south-park-and-poes-law-nothin-funnier-than-the-truth.html) on South Park the other day, and now I can add in another example. It's impossible to parody Frank Miller's overwrought writing.

Unless if you're An Obscure Allusion To...

He can do it.

number8
03-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Holy shit, last night's was magnificent.

The chicken. I died.

number8
04-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Road. Warrior. Queef.

Scar
04-03-2009, 02:51 AM
Road. Warrior. Queef.

I just watched it, and had an absolute uncontrollable fit of laughter. Oh. My. GOD.

I just kept laughing and laughing. I couldn't stop!

monolith94
04-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Kind of mediocre. Solid message, but it just didn't bring the lulz for me.

Spaceman Spiff
04-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Yeah, that Road Warrior poster was easily the highlight of the episode. Well that and all the queefing.

Derek
04-09-2009, 05:31 AM

Kanye is a gay fish and Carlos Mencia gets decapitated? A winning combination.

Henry Gale
04-09-2009, 06:59 AM
By far the funniest of the season for me.

I loved how many great running gags they fit into one episode instead of just having one or two and having them be the only source of jokes like they tend to allow more and more in recent seasons. But man... even if you absolutely love or loathe Kanye (and I happen to fall into the first category), that was a pretty perfect spoof of him.

number8
04-09-2009, 08:46 AM

Kanye is a gay fish and Carlos Mencia gets decapitated? A winning combination.
Seriously. Too much win for one episode.

Acapelli
04-09-2009, 09:00 AM
eh the kanye slagging was kind of lame. the real life kanye is much funnier

seeing carlos mencia getting tortured was pretty funny

number8
04-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Kanye saw it, and said it humbled him:

http://www.kanyeuniversecity.com/blog/?em3106=227887_-1__0_~0_-1_4_2009_0_0&em3298=&em3282=&em3281=&em3161=

I JUST WANNA BE A DOPER PERSON WHICH STARTS WITH ME NOT ALWAYS TELLING PEOPLE HOW DOPE I THINK I AM. I NEED TO JUST GET PAST MYSELF. DROP THE BRAVADO AND JUST MAKE DOPE PRODUCT. EVERYTHING IS NOT THAT SERIOUS. AS LONG AS PEOPLE THINK I ACT LIKE A BITCH THIS TYPE OF SHIT WILL HAPPEN TO ME. I GOT A LONG ROAD AHEAD OF ME TO MAKE PEOPLE BELIEVE I'M NOT ACTUALLY A HUGE DOUCHE BUT I'M UP FOR THE CHALLENGE.

Wryan
04-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Road. Warrior. Queef.

I just heard about this and youtubed it. Jesus. Now my coworkers think I have epilepsy.

Sven
04-09-2009, 10:58 PM
So is the episode saying that Kanye takes all the credit for songs for which he is only nominally associated? I don't pay enough attention to West for me to get the criticism.

Sycophant
04-10-2009, 03:09 AM
Should I check back in with South Park? I pretty much gave up after the "Manbearpig" episode and when Oprah's vagina started talking. The two episodes I've seen since then with the teacher screwing Ike or whatever and the Obama/McCain jewel heist episode were meh to alright.

Basically, are there more episodes like "Casa Bonita" or "Manbearpig" these days?

number8
04-10-2009, 03:14 AM
So is the episode saying that Kanye takes all the credit for songs for which he is only nominally associated? I don't pay enough attention to West for me to get the criticism.

No, no, that's what Carlos Mencia does. Kanye is the other end of the spectrum. It's that he has an ego the size of Africa. He actually does claim to be a genius and God's gift to music. He threw a humongous fit once when he didn't win a Grammy and claimed that people were deliberately out to get him, because objectively he should have won.

The ep was about showbiz ego in general. Remember when Jimmy said that Cartman should be happy that the joke is well received in the first place and that they've made a contribution that made people happy?

Spaceman Spiff
04-10-2009, 03:15 AM
Last season of South Park was the worst of the entire series. I do think that (despite still being pretty great), the show has fluctuated a bit more in quality the past few seasons (around Manbearpig, which is 10 or 11, I think).

Your mileage may vary. I thought the queef sisters episode was pretty funny, for what it's worth.

Sven
04-10-2009, 04:00 AM
Basically, are there more episodes like "Casa Bonita" or "Manbearpig" these days?

Casa Bonita and Manbearpig are almost opposite sides of the dichotomous South Park spectrum to me. One is a frivolous but infectious joke, the other is political soapboxing. Frequently they can find middle-ground (ie, Kanye West is a gay fish), but it seems hard to ignore the bludgeoning of their overtly critical grandstanding in Manbearpig.

It seems like all their more recent episodes are skewed towards the opinionated kind.

Sycophant
04-10-2009, 04:05 AM
It seems like all their more recent episodes are skewed towards the opinionated kind.

That's unfortunate, because I find most of their opinions uninteresting and ill-considered. About political and social issues, anyway. They've always been pretty smart about media and entertainment issues.

But perhaps I'll check in again anyway. With hope to discover some lulz.

Sven
04-10-2009, 04:11 AM
That's unfortunate, because I find most of their opinions uninteresting and ill-considered. But perhaps I'll check in again anyway. For the lulz.

Maybe we can direct this thread more towards a discussion of their positions. For example, "ill-considered." I'm curious about that. I may need examples. Off the top of my head, the only thing that I can think of that really crosses the border into "irresponsible" is their political apathy in Team America, which is less overt and more of a natural by-product of their target: celebrities turning politics into a vehicle for their own publicity.

You may like the newer episode that lampoons Batman. Cartman is a superhero called "The Coon."

Ezee E
04-10-2009, 05:31 AM
Yeah, now that South Park has all their episodes on Instant Watch, I checked out a few. There really isn't a quality difference from season to season. It's just episodes of greatness every now and then. And I really think it caters to everyone's senses of humor at one point or another. Can't say many shows do that.

Sycophant
04-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Maybe we can direct this thread more towards a discussion of their positions. For example, "ill-considered." I'm curious about that. I may need examples.

As I think about it, maybe it's more that I disagree with their worldview (they are pretty much libertarians, after all) than that their opinions are "ill-considered." I may have misspoke there.

I'll consider it, watch some episodes (I haven't watched any South Park new or old in like two years), and report back. Would prefer to avoid talking out of my ass if I can avoid it.

monolith94
04-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Pirate episode:

Very good episode. Nicely combined reality with absurdity, walked that razor edge between the two with nice finesse. The fat crocodile beneath the plank sealed the deal of greatness, for me. I was impressed by the Somalia backgrounds; nice work there.

Spaceman Spiff
04-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Haven't seen the new one, but I thought that alien episode was pretty shit, bar the fantastic bit of Randy at the beginning.

number8
04-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Pirate episode:

Very good episode. Nicely combined reality with absurdity, walked that razor edge between the two with nice finesse. The fat crocodile beneath the plank sealed the deal of greatness, for me. I was impressed by the Somalia backgrounds; nice work there.

Ike's Susan Boyle comment is exactly how I feel, too.

Sven
04-24-2009, 02:29 AM
Am watching the Pirate episode in a few minutes, but I'll take the opportunity to praise the alien episode as one of the funniest things I've ever seen, period.

monolith94
04-24-2009, 03:33 AM
Ike's Susan Boyle comment is exactly how I feel, too.
Would you believe that I haven't seen a single second of her singing?

Spaceman Spiff
04-24-2009, 03:33 AM
Am watching the Pirate episode in a few minutes, but I'll take the opportunity to praise the alien episode as one of the funniest things I've ever seen, period.

whaaaaaaa

I need explaining.

Henry Gale
04-24-2009, 04:11 AM
I have to say I just assumed the Pinewood Derby episode would have been seen as the highlight of the season by most people. It was definitely my favourite and I can see it being just as enjoyable years from now compared to other recent ones because it definitely wasn't too topical and confined to being funniest the day it was shown. It works much better as a parody of low-rate sci-fi than it does conveying any sort of moral or subtext on real world stuff (even if it tries to a little).

But for the most part, it was just hilarious.

Henry Gale
10-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Okay, this new one was much funnier than Dead Celebrities. I even liked that one more than most seemed to, but it really seemed like most of the schoolyard episodes from recent seasons end up being the most fun and true to the earliest years of the show. Marjorine and The List also come to mind.

Sure, it relied on a lot of overused pimp and ho jokes, but I think somehow played against Butters' innocence allowed a lot of it to work better than it should have. Plus the cop subplot made me laugh way too hard.

"Oh, Keeshoowwnn!"

Sven
11-14-2009, 05:55 AM
I can't stop laughing at Dances with Smurves.

Wryan
01-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Watched "Up the Down Steroid" last night. Wow. The incredible thing here about the Cartman moments is not that Cartman is doing this, but rather that Cartman...is doing...this. The mileage they get out of giving this moment to this character that they've created and built up is what really makes it funny above and beyond the knee-jerk, hand-over-mouth, holy shit what are they doing humor...which is still pretty funny, too.

Henry Gale
11-01-2010, 12:05 AM
This season (or this half of it) has been pretty damn bad so far. Like honestly, a chuckle or two an episode is not the sort of expectation I can have with this show to enjoy it.

Kurosawa Fan
11-01-2010, 12:43 AM
I thought the Hoarders episode was pretty strong. Disappointed with the Jersey Shore episode. Those are the only two I've seen so far.

Thirdmango
04-28-2011, 11:31 AM
The episode tonight easily makes my top 10 worst episodes of the series and is one I'm sure I won't be watching again for a long time.

Henry Gale
04-28-2011, 05:12 PM
I'll give an opposite reaction and say that I probably like last night's episode more than anything in the previous season. Definitely made laugh harder than anything they've done in a while, and at the same time, I actually found the current event-based premise to be amusing, unlike say, their bland takes on Inception / Hoarders, Jersey Shore, Nascar, Food Network, Supehero movies, Intervention, all in the last batch of episodes. And I thought the pop culture premise was used in a hilarious way that still had a theme and angle to it without having to do one of those endings where the kid's winkingly summarize it with a big, twinkly-piano backed monologue at the end.

Not a great episode, but at least it's a memorable one that made me laugh a lot.

Scar
04-28-2011, 06:27 PM
The episode tonight easily makes my top 10 worst episodes of the series and is one I'm sure I won't be watching again for a long time.

While my buddy texted me this morning saying how much he laughed at it. I'll watch it tonight.

number8
04-30-2011, 02:57 AM
It was just okay, but the Quickening part made me laugh really hard.

I also have a very soft spot for Trey Parker's Asian voice.

Thirdmango
05-05-2011, 03:54 PM
That was a weird episode. i did like the Doctor Who stuff though.

Thirdmango
05-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Best of the season so far. Really good stuff in this episode.

number8
05-13-2011, 06:47 PM
I feel like Daily Show's animated rendition of the Royal Wedding stole their thunder.

megladon8
05-13-2011, 06:49 PM
"Asparagus is derricious!"

Henry Gale
05-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Yeah, thinking about it again, this probably was the most consistent of the episodes so far.

Seemingly all of my friends have hated the last couple outside of a few jokes here and there (Asparagus dude, Sandy Cervix), but I have a feeling that they may have no choice but to enjoy this one, since like me, they're all Canadian, and those episodes always end up being especially hilarious to us. The square tires on the limo were enough to make me laugh pretty hard.

Kurosawa Fan
05-13-2011, 07:19 PM
I loved the tooth decay stuff, but I've never found the Canada jokes even slightly funny. This was no exception.

Scar
05-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Laughed my ass off at the T.M.I. episode.

monolith94
05-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Me too. It wasn't anything too innovative, but it was just simple and funny.

number8
05-24-2011, 03:00 PM
My theory is that any episode that has Randy in the forefront is automatically gold.

Scar
05-24-2011, 05:57 PM
My theory is that any episode that has Randy in the forefront is automatically gold.

My bartender in St Louis has the same theory. I'm inclined to agree.

Derek
05-24-2011, 07:01 PM

I'm definitely with you. Most of my favorite episodes from the last 5 or 6 seasons have been Randy-centric.

Henry Gale
06-09-2011, 07:14 AM
Well... tonight's episode was unlike anything they've ever done. You could look at it however meta you want to, but it has enough other stuff packed into it to work in a lot other ways too. Somehow, using pretty simple jabs at pop culture, they found a way to hit fairly close to home to get its message across, while also quite possibly also commenting the state of the show itself.

Who knew an episode that featured that much shit could find a way to end like it did? Either way, I'd say it's easily the best they've produced in at least the last couple of years.

Thirdmango
06-09-2011, 07:28 AM
Gotta agree with Henry. It was a pretty funny episode even though it was full of shit, and even the melodrama of it all was still making me laugh. Of course it might be even funnier if next week it goes back to being the way it was before which would be yet another meta joke of the episode. Trey and Matt have been saying for a while that they just want to do other things but South Park is still their cash cow and it's comedy central's as well.

Henry Gale
06-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Gotta agree with Henry. It was a pretty funny episode even though it was full of shit, and even the melodrama of it all was still making me laugh. Of course it might be even funnier if next week it goes back to being the way it was before which would be yet another meta joke of the episode. Trey and Matt have been saying for a while that they just want to do other things but South Park is still their cash cow and it's comedy central's as well.

The thing is, this was their mid-season finale, and its ending has caused at least a few people to speculate as to whether or not this may be the last time we ever see the show in its usual form. Particularly when it comes to Stan possibly not living in the town anymore.
Matt and Trey have also said they may want to make another South Park movie to end it all. This may have been their way of trying to get people to brace for that possibility sooner rather than later.

number8
06-10-2011, 02:18 AM
I was thinking that this could be their way to force a shakeup. If they're really tired of doing the same shit over and over, ending it with Stan out of South Park, Randy a bachelor and Kyle and Cartman learning to be friends might be a pretty serious change.

It's like what they did to Kenny at the end of Season 14. It's so sad and kind of disturbing that if they kill Kenny for a cheap joke again, it wouldn't be the same. And they haven't so far.

Dead & Messed Up
06-14-2011, 02:42 AM
I watch the show so intermittently, but that episode was interesting. Whenever the show assumes some level of continuity, it's usually just for the sake of gags, but seeing Trey and Matt try to imbue emotion into their creations, after so many years...it feels both awkward and earned.

Very curious about what happens next.

Sycophant
08-21-2011, 02:24 AM
So South Park has been confirmed as renewed through 2013.

After staying away from the show for a few years, I've happily come back to it. I'd tuned out in season 10, when it just got too consistently preachy and foul for my tastes. Turns out that was a rough patch, and the episodes after I stopped watching were even pretty good. Season 15 has been their best oma while, maybe since season 6 or 7, and coupled with "The Book of Mormon," I'm feeling really great about Matt & Trey right now.

Henry Gale
10-06-2011, 03:54 AM
So this was essentially Part 2 of "You're Getting Old", the last episode from June, and even though a lot of the comedy was repeated and expanded versions of the jokes in that episode, the twist they took with the overall commentary of the episode gave the whole thing a surprisingly more potent and somber edge to Stan's story and his damaged view of things.

The ending sequence covered a lot of ground while playing strongly to both quick, light humour and about as much drama as the show has ever known at the same time. It was as funny as it was depressing, but then that last shot happened and I couldn't help but feel a bit numb.

I have no idea what Matt and Trey will want to do for the rest of the season (and I imagine they don't either), but after this I'm not sure the show can go on without potentially tapping back into the sort of undercurrent of sadness with Stan or even the other characters that they've established here. In two episodes they've evolved the show in a really gratifying but completely unexpected and strange way.

monolith94
10-13-2011, 02:52 AM
Really good ep tonight. I love seeing Butters successful at stuff.

monolith94
10-28-2011, 02:51 PM
I seem to be the only one following South Park these days? Last night's Bro-way show was awesome. LOVED the reference to Sunday in the Park With George.

Thirdmango
10-28-2011, 03:20 PM
I think many of us are still watching, just not commenting about it. After watching the six days to air it hit me that even though I tend to like 80-90 percent of the episodes they do, with a show like this it's better to just think of it on an episode by episode basis instead of based on seasons since there's not really any thought to overall season structure. Instead now I think, were they in a good mood six days before air and did they think of something funny?

But yeah, it was a fun episode.

Spaceman Spiff
10-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Haven't watched this in a while, are they still doing a "let's make fun of the latest movie/tv show/controversy/pop culture thing" every single episode, or have they gone back to actually writing stories about the kids and the townsfolk?

I definitely have been blase about much of South Park after season 8 or so.

Thirdmango
10-28-2011, 05:27 PM
have they gone back to actually writing stories about the kids and the townsfolk?

You should watch episode 7 of this season.

Sycophant
11-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Series extended through 2016, or season 20. So much for rumors Matt & Trey wanting to quit.

number8
11-18-2011, 02:03 AM
"You stick with what you know."

Sycophant
11-21-2011, 03:00 AM
Overall, I haven't enjoyed the back half of season 15 as much as the first half (or as much as a lot of SP watchers, it seems), but Wednesday's season finale was a really strong showing.

Henry Gale
11-21-2011, 03:07 AM
Yeah, this was probably the first season in a long time where I think I enjoyed every episode (to varying degrees) with the Stan-centered "You're Getting Older" / "Ass Burgers" pseudo two-parter being the highlight right in the middle of it.

number8
01-07-2012, 02:37 AM
Just watched 6 Days to Air. I had no idea that Bill Hader has been a regular staff writer for the show for years.

Thirdmango
01-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Just watched 6 Days to Air. I had no idea that Bill Hader has been a regular staff writer for the show for years.

That was also the most surprising thing for me.

Henry Gale
01-07-2012, 08:57 PM
It would appear he also does the odd voice here and there, going by this great deleted bit from the documentary. (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=273335012689774)

number8
01-08-2012, 02:37 PM
They play that during the credits at the end.

number8
03-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Has no one realized this returned?

sevenarts
03-26-2012, 12:39 PM
The first episode back, the TSA parody, was pretty good, liked all the vicious satire about ramped-up security. The "cash for gold" second episode was really lame though, not only mocking a very easy target but it just wasn't that funny either.

This show's been so inconsistent for a long time now. There's still an occasional genuinely great episode, but it's nowhere near the level it once was.

[ETM]
03-26-2012, 07:11 PM
The phone calls at the end were awesome.

Thirdmango
04-20-2012, 01:12 PM
heh, maybe one of the worst of all time? Yeah.

Henry Gale
04-26-2012, 06:36 AM
I'll agree that last week's ziplining episode was pretty much a failure, but this mid-season finale was probably my favourite they've done since "You're Getting Old" (which aired at the exact same point last year).

Maybe I just love when they do old school episodes where nearly all of the drama takes place at the school, but I was still laughing harder than I have almost all season, compared to last week where the best they got out of me was, "Enh, I see what they're trying to do here".

Otherwise, the only other episode of this half season that I really liked was probably "Cash for Gold". Others had their moments, but "Cartman Finds Love" is now the definite standout of the bunch.

number8
04-30-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm watching on Hulu, so I'm a few episodes behind, but Cartman's Passover dream was amazing.

Sven
10-18-2012, 08:08 AM
First couple of episodes of the new run were very weak, but tonite's was hysterical.

Thirdmango
10-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Agreed, tonight's was fantastic.

Henry Gale
10-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Hmm, I had the complete opposite reaction. I loved Insecurity and enjoyed Sarcastaball quite a bit too, but I thought this one was merely passable. Mildly funny premise with a fairly thin commentary embedded in it, and it just didn't have that many memorable moments beyond the cruise ship and the natives recounting and trying to out-validate their histories on the island.

I don't know, some weeks they have episodes that I'm amazed the majority of them were made in less than a week, and then ones like this come along and I think, "Yeah, that seems about right."

Sven
10-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Hmm, I had the complete opposite reaction. I loved Insecurity and enjoyed Sarcastaball quite a bit too, but I thought this one was merely passable. Mildly funny premise with a fairly thin commentary embedded in it, and it just didn't have that many memorable moments beyond the cruise ship and the natives recounting and trying to out-validate their histories on the island.

The Honey Boo Boo schtick got real old, real quick. They were hammering on the same nail long after it was securely in the board. The tone of Sarcastaball got really grating, and its focus was obscured. What was its target? Still not sure. But the Hawaii episode is pointed and relevant, a new angle on the age-old theme of privileged white folk appropriating exotic culture. And the turnaround on Ben Affleck was satisfying.

This week's Blockbuster episode was also mostly excellent.

Sven
09-27-2013, 09:20 AM
Anyone watch the new episode?

It was... well... watch it and tell me what you think.

Gizmo
09-27-2013, 11:04 AM
I thought it was pretty funny.

Henry Gale
09-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Same. A lot of people seem none too pleased with it, mainly saying they didn't think it was as biting or fully formed as it potentially could've or should've been, but I think the main issue is one similar to the new episodes of Key & Peele, and that stems from the fact that both shows have been off the air for too long and a lot of the ideas they've had kicking around have been in the waiting since last year.

I laughed a lot, thought it covered a lot of ground in a short amount of time (including Butters' storyline, which I loved and thought maybe should've been reversed and expanded as the A-plot), felt its social media commentary was hit-and-miss (didn't think the Shitter stuff was strong enough to justify its screen-time, but ) but was worth the journey for a number of gags and reveals.

So overall, I've thought the show has been back on the upswing after hitting a rut for almost all of Season 14, and this one didn't deter my enthusiasm for the rest of the season.

But guys, that new opening credits sequence and Bill Hader now on tap full-time! These are the true victories!

Qrazy
10-11-2013, 04:54 AM
"You're the best Zimmerman!"

Hahah

Sven
10-11-2013, 07:17 AM
Died during the murder porn episode. That was classic SP goodness. Zimmerman episode was 75%. So far, fine season.

Kurosawa Fan
10-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Died during the murder porn episode. That was classic SP goodness. Zimmerman episode was 75%. So far, fine season.

I had sort of written off SP, but a friend of mine implored me to watch this episode. Best one they've done in a long time. The murder porn, the cable company tactics, etc., all hit the right notes. I know Hader took a bigger creative role since leaving SNL. Perhaps his influence is bringing new inspiration to the writing room. Either way, I'm in for the rest of the season.

Hugh_Grant
10-17-2013, 06:51 PM
I think my favorite part of the World War Zimmerman episode was animated Mireille Enos.

And as someone who watches way too much Investigative Discovery--yes, the network of Southern Fried Homicide--I loved the murder porn episode.

number8
12-31-2013, 11:37 PM
Holy shit, I thought that was actually Emilia Clarke.