PDA

View Full Version : Inside Out (Pete Docter)

Philip J. Fry
06-18-2015, 06:48 PM
http://payload381.cargocollective.com/1/0/1923/9924772/INSIDE-OUT-MATT-NEEDLE_638.png

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seMwpP0yeu4

IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2096673/) / wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_Out_(2015_film)) / RT (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inside_out_2015/)

Official Website (http://movies.disney.com/inside-out/)

Watashi
06-18-2015, 08:02 PM
I heard it sucks.

TGM
06-19-2015, 07:40 PM
Yeah, Pixar's not just back, this film is the absolute best they've ever, ever been. Stunningly brilliant, mesmerizingly imaginative, and it absolutely hits all of the feels, all of 'em. Not a dry eye in the house for this one, myself included. Just, holy fucking shit, dude. I didn't know this level of brilliance was possible to capture on film. Just a beautiful movie, in every sense of the word.

Philip J. Fry
06-20-2015, 03:27 AM
Yeah, Pixar's not just back, this film is the absolute best they've ever, ever been. Stunningly brilliant, mesmerizingly imaginative, and it absolutely hits all of the feels, all of 'em. Not a dry eye in the house for this one, myself included. Just, holy fucking shit, dude. I didn't know this level of brilliance was possible to capture on film. Just a beautiful movie, in every sense of the word.I'm so watching this next Monday or Tuesday.

Weems
06-20-2015, 02:02 PM
Yeah, Pixar's not just back, this film is the absolute best they've ever, ever been. Stunningly brilliant, mesmerizingly imaginative, and it absolutely hits all of the feels, all of 'em. Not a dry eye in the house for this one, myself included. Just, holy fucking shit, dude. I didn't know this level of brilliance was possible to capture on film. Just a beautiful movie, in every sense of the word.

The humor worked very well in this film, but the sentimentality (and the broader storytelling arc) to me didn't. Even my reaction to Bing Bong's fate was more a bemused "Oh, that's too bad" than an emotional pang. It almost came to life when Joy abandoned Sadness, but didn't really go on to maintain the dramatic integrity of that sequence. This is one of the Pixar installments that felt more concerned with seeming clever than being engaging.

Mal
06-20-2015, 06:40 PM
I wasn't expecting a therapy session but I cried like a little bitch during this movie. I also took my autistic uncle to see it and he has never been so transfixed on the screen by a film before in the theater. There's something very smart and special about this story, it goes to another place to discuss humanity that few films even attempt. I look forward to seeing it again.

Spinal
06-21-2015, 08:14 AM
This was OK. I mean it's Pixar, so naturally it's cloying as hell. There's some decent laughs though. Lewis Black makes the strongest impression. If Joy had to go through all that to learn the lesson she learns in the end, then she really wasn't qualified for her job in the first place.

transmogrifier
06-21-2015, 12:01 PM
This was OK. I mean it's Pixar, so naturally it's cloying as hell. There's some decent laughs though. Lewis Black makes the strongest impression. If Joy had to go through all that to learn the lesson she learns in the end, then she really wasn't qualified for her job in the first place.

I was wondering whether the sheer unbridled ejaculatory enthusiasm from many critics for this was partly a response to the fact Pixar has been treading water for the last three movies and they are just glad to have their darling back, mainly because I thought the trailer looked bland.

I realize I'm just being a bit of a cynic and have no real reason to comment here until I see it, but I like to own up to my biases from time to time. I just don't think Pixar is any better or worse than other major animation studio division in terms of the quality of their output: some good stuff, some bad stuff, some stuff in between.

Peng
06-21-2015, 03:47 PM
To me Pixar does have a more adult approach to character nuance and emotions that distinguishes them from other animation studios though. I feel like if you show any of their films to me without telling in advance (and obscuring the logo at the beginning), I am sure I can always tell it's them, except for Cars 2 and A Bug's Life. Those are Pixar at their most frantic in term of characters and pacing, and not coincidentally, my two least favorite.

number8
06-21-2015, 05:53 PM
I was wondering whether the sheer unbridled ejaculatory enthusiasm from many critics for this was partly a response to the fact Pixar has been treading water for the last three movies and they are just glad to have their darling back, mainly because I thought the trailer looked bland.

I don't share the hyperbole, either, but it is most definitely a return to form compared to their recent output and I do think it's worth praising.

My problem with the concept is that I have to really force myself to remember to appreciate the movie for what it is about, not what I want it to be, which I never had to do with the Pixar movies I really love because the narrative is typically very specifically tied to the message and the concept. With this one, they've introduced a gimmick and a lesson that really could have been about a hundred different scenarios, as the closing credits montage demonstrated, and I imagine that they must have struggled with paring it to a universally relatable core, to the point of making the parents a source of no conflict whatsoever so as to not dilute the kid's source of depression. I'm not sure that's entirely successful (I can't imagine the reveal of a big two-story house with a fireplace being characterized as a dump resonated much with people in big cities—I actually cringed at that bit). I would say, though, that it's nice to have such a direct and simple visualization regarding the difference between sadness and depression. The best thing about the movie is the concept and the ways they visualize emotional fluctuations.

[P.S. Lava might be one of the worst shorts they've done.]

Spinal
06-21-2015, 06:29 PM

I realize I'm just being a bit of a cynic and have no real reason to comment here until I see it, but I like to own up to my biases from time to time. I just don't think Pixar is any better or worse than other major animation studio division in terms of the quality of their output: some good stuff, some bad stuff, some stuff in between.

Yes, this movie is basically what you think it is. No better, no worse. Laika may be the new Pixar.

Spinal
06-21-2015, 06:31 PM
[P.S. Lava might be one of the worst shorts they've done.]

This was nearly Pixar self-parody.

Spinal
06-21-2015, 06:39 PM
(I can't imagine the reveal of a big two-story house with a fireplace being characterized as a dump resonated much with people in big cities—I actually cringed at that bit).

My cringe moment was the reveal of the inner workings of the parents' brains, which basically played out like a Bud Light commercial.

Irish
06-21-2015, 08:15 PM
I mean it's Pixar, so naturally it's cloying as hell.

I've never loved you as much as I do right now.

number8
06-21-2015, 08:32 PM
My cringe moment was the reveal of the inner workings of the parents' brains, which basically played out like a Bud Light commercial.

That was... Not good.

Although right after the movie, I was asked if, since everyone else's emotions appear to be uniformly the same gender as the people they're in, does the fact that Riley's are mixed genders supposed to imply that she's genderqueer?

Spinal
06-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Although right after the movie, I was asked if, since everyone else's emotions appear to be uniformly the same gender as the people they're in, does the fact that Riley's are mixed genders supposed to imply that she's genderqueer?

Spoilers for Inside Out 2.

Dead & Messed Up
06-22-2015, 02:10 AM
That was... Not good.

I bet they started out mapping her mind, realized later they would want to go into other minds, and decided to make the other minds look a lot more uniform to avoid any potential confusion. But I like your idea.

As for the city move and the two-story, I completely sympathized, because I took it as... it's not just that the townhouse is a little rundown, it's that the townhouse is the antithesis of what's familiar and comforting and open to her.

Very fun flick, though. Appreciated the relatively low stakes (a girl running away from home) and when Hader's character turned into a blase filmgoer during the dream sequence. Many clever little gags, and a nice message to the tots, even if it may land too loudly for parents.

Fuck that fucking lava cartoon. God, that made me angry.

transmogrifier
06-22-2015, 02:36 AM
Why is the Lava thing so bad? Korea doesn't show the shorts typically, so I won't get to experience it for myself.

Dead & Messed Up
06-22-2015, 02:55 AM
There's superficial stuff, like how the volcano "hero" looks fucking creepy compared to his weirdly svelte paramour, but what really fucking pissed me off was twofold. One, the "hero" doesn't do a damn thing. He stands around, sings about how he wants somebody to "lava" (ugh...), and waits. That's all he does. And wouldn't you know it, eventually his love bursts out of the ocean, and that's it. There's no agency. It's just a fucking waiting game. (Apologies for the cursing). Two, the underlying premise that happiness comes from finding (or "finding") the perfect someone. The volcano is all depressed because the whales and dolphins and birds are pairing off and he isn't. Translation: if you don't have someone, you need to, or else you won't feel normal. This is the type of messaging a studio like Pixar has a responsibility to subvert. I know it's all meant as a lark and lightweight and aww-isn't-it-cute, but I think there's something toxic here. It's ultimately just a gender flip on that hoary old Disney bullshit (again, apologies for the cursing), "Someday my prince will come."

And the song is lame.

number8
06-22-2015, 03:42 AM
I mostly disliked it because the entire story was told through the song, making the visuals completely useless. If I just heard the song I'd probably find it charming, but I found no merit in it as animation. It's a music video that's more literal in its visualization than most music videos. That's pathetic for a short film.

Watashi
06-22-2015, 11:10 PM
As someone who moved from Minnesota to California and had many deep regrets about it soon after, this film didn't relate to me at all.

Not at all.

Watashi
06-22-2015, 11:18 PM
(I can't imagine the reveal of a big two-story house with a fireplace being characterized as a dump resonated much with people in big cities—I actually cringed at that bit).

Oh come on, Ary. You've only experienced living in big cities like NYC and San Fran. Moving from a suburban Midwest town to a tightly packed city is a huge deal for an 11 year old. It doesn't matter how big the house is. It's the exact opposite of warm and comfort for her.

Inside Out isn't the best Pixar movie. I liked it a lot, but it does have problems. I agree that I wish the entire film was focused on Riley and didn't jump into other characters' heads because it cheapens the gimmick and it's solely used as a throwaway gag that played on mom and dad stereotypes. I also wish Riley was a bit older. Maybe 14 instead of 11. Then I think I would buy running away as a sense of urgency. The central message is awesome. More animated films like this please and less "you are special" and "always follow your dreams."

number8
06-23-2015, 12:36 AM
Yes, I understand that that was the intention of the scene. It doesn't really change my point.

Philip J. Fry
06-24-2015, 06:40 AM
What did I like? I'm choked up and on the verge of tears.

What didn't I like? I'm choked up and on the verge of tears.

Final thoughts: I'm choked up and on the verge of tears.

Dead & Messed Up
06-24-2015, 04:07 PM
Sure I'm not the only one who got some serious Totoro vibes.

Philip J. Fry
06-24-2015, 09:12 PM
Sure I'm not the only one who got some serious Totoro vibes.With Bing Bong...

KK2.0
06-29-2015, 07:16 PM
With Bing Bong...

yup, the whole giant clown sleeping with Bing Bong on his belly part is a direct tribute to Totoro, even the way he yawns, his teeth looks exactly like Totoro's.

also, the first scene of the field trip looks a lot like something from Spirited Away but I'm not sure.

Philip J. Fry
06-29-2015, 10:26 PM
yup, the whole giant clown sleeping with Bing Bong on his belly part is a direct tribute to Totoro, even the way he yawns, his teeth looks exactly like Totoro's.Exactly.

Also, the first scene of the field trip looks a lot like something from Spirited Away but I'm not sure.I dont know about that one. I think I need to rewatch that scene.

Also, relevant:
https://36.media.tumblr.com/51f544aa9fb75cb0c36e95658f2ac2 ff/tumblr_nqdfvhoRL81qe6ny6o1_500 .jpg

Pop Trash
07-01-2015, 08:27 AM

I'm with Wats about this. It's through the eyes of an 11-year-old. Of course she's gunna view it as a dump (and maybe her parents too). I live here (here being the Bay) and you really don't get a lot of bang for your buck, if you are able to find a place at all. Anyway, everyone is obsessed with real estate bullshit around here. I will say (and I'm sure it's due to their Emeryville digs) that Pixar gets San Francisco way more than Woody Allen. Also, considering I saw this in Oakland (where I live) I'm so glad they didn't make the easy "Oakland is scary!" storyline that almost seemed to be coming at one point. I could sense the whole audience bracing themselves for that, but thankfully (again probably due to them being in Emeryville) it never happened.

Wryan
07-04-2015, 03:15 AM
This was genial and smoothly digestible, if simple. Lol puberty, tho, amirite? amirite? amirite? *grins and winks and repeatedly elbows ribs of person next to me, even if a stranger* The abstract chamber was nearly the only truly great moment.

Pixar continues its slide, imo. The dinosaur thing doesn't much look like it'll leave the path being aggressively blazed either. I keep waiting for the one that stuns me again, like how I thought Wall-E looked ridiculous but was wowed in the theater. Still waiting...

Fuck that Lava garbage though.

Wryan
07-04-2015, 04:33 PM
Also, who the shit let a little girl on the bus to another state by herself? Get your shit together, San FranDogville.

Gizmo
07-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I thought this tried too hard to be smart and emotional, and only mildly delivered on both. Also, took my girls(6 and 2) and they were mostly bored throughout.

dreamdead
07-06-2015, 10:15 PM
It's generally good and the Bing Bong material was surprisingly effective for me (though I deeply wish his character design didn't look so out there), but the core message seems oddly childish and simple-minded. It's difficult to believe that Joy wouldn't have experienced this lesson by now. While the film does a decent job showing how she's generally the lead agent in determining emotions, the lesson feels more attuned to a younger character, not an 11-year-old.

When the film goes experimental with it's animation style it's quite fun. But I wish the film had avoided showing others' emotional processes as they reduced each character's emotional state to a stock joke.

number8
07-06-2015, 11:35 PM
I thought it was very sophisticated. There are plenty of 30 year olds who have not learned that lesson.

Pop Trash
07-08-2015, 12:02 AM
I thought it was very sophisticated. There are plenty of 30 year olds who have not learned that lesson.

I agree. This feels like a companion piece to Mike Leigh's Happy-Go-Lucky actually.

transmogrifier
07-10-2015, 06:54 AM
I thought the emotional message was effective, and the design of Riley's mind and its inner workings was very clever but....I don't know...getting there is a bit of a chore at times. It was one of the least funny Pixar films and the actual narrative drive is super slight, with a rather prosaic goal (get home!) with repetitive obstacles (oh, one of the islands collapsed again just at the wrong time) mixed with bunch of easy audience massage points (Heh heh, that's how dreams are made, heh heh that's why we forget things). I actually liked the zooming into other characters' heads as it hinted at a more anarchic, less micromanaged version of the story.

Oh, and they did show Lava here. Meh.

TGM
07-30-2015, 06:00 PM
Wrote some thoughts on this movie: http://cwiddop.blogspot.com/2015/07/inside-out.html

Ezee E
11-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Enjoyable enough for me, but a lot of the jokes and events seem repetitive and overdone. Of course Joy's mission to return home would conveniently be extended at each island, almost always under the same circumstances.

The movie is at its best when it remains in the mind for a longer period, such as trying to wake her up, or being in the abstract world. I wish it remained there the entire time instead of showing events in the outside world, and especially in the minds of other people, where the entire mind seems one-note, and everyone's always present in the HQ.

Dukefrukem
11-06-2015, 12:35 AM
What did I like? I'm choked up and on the verge of tears.

What didn't I like? I'm choked up and on the verge of tears.

Final thoughts: I'm choked up and on the verge of tears.

This.

It was refreshing to see Pixar back at it, but not nearly as good as Rat, Up, Wall-E or Finding Nemo.

Philip J. Fry
12-03-2015, 01:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXYhua4IwoE

DavidSeven
12-07-2015, 06:22 PM
Really affecting. If I have a complaint, it's that the bare story isn't really that interesting. It doesn't seem driven by anything that the characters do, and the consistent run of random obstacles gets a little tedious. Still, I came out of it with really good vibes.

My major mistake was saving Lava for afterward rather than watching it beforehand. So gross and left a bitter taste in my mouth on the overall experience.

Grouchy
12-08-2015, 04:37 PM
I get that Lava is not top tier Pixar, but did everyone really hate it all that much? I'm not going to defend it, I'm just a bit puzzled as to why it causes so much hatred.

TGM
12-08-2015, 05:40 PM
I get that Lava is not top tier Pixar, but did everyone really hate it all that much? I'm not going to defend it, I'm just a bit puzzled as to why it causes so much hatred.

I liked it. *shrug*

number8
12-08-2015, 06:22 PM
Yes. It's garbage.

TGM
12-08-2015, 06:42 PM
It's not garbage, it's fine. The only aspect about it I didn't particularly like is that the female volcano had to be such a clear cut attractive woman, where as the male volcano is, well, a fucking volcano. I thought that did detract things a bit, and it woulda been far stronger had the female volcano just similarly been a plain old volcano as well.

But other than that, the song was nice and catchy, and as the story played along, it actually played with your emotions, as you really felt for the volcano. And, honestly, for a moment there I was curious if they were actually going to go with the tragic ending. And it wasn't just me, there were people audibly crying during this short at every viewing I saw, so it accomplished its job in that regard. Of course, they didn't go with the tragic ending, but even so, I can't say that I minded the happy ending either, as it left off with a nice warm feeling, coming full circle.

I also felt it was a very fitting placement to play in front of Inside Out, with the way it plays with one's emotions, sorta a way to prepare everyone for the real emotional roller coaster that was to come.

So yeah, sure, it wasn't their best, but it was still a perfectly fine, heart warming short, and certainly not fucking garbage.

Dead & Messed Up
12-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Garbage. Garbage made by sewage people.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/images/library/people/300/n/neil_hamburger.jpg

TGM
12-08-2015, 08:19 PM
http://z5.ifrm.com/30343/137/0/e5317622//e5317622.png

Philip J. Fry
12-07-2016, 06:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp71BH0UlvE

Philip J. Fry
06-30-2017, 03:17 AM