PDA

View Full Version : Winter Sleep (Nuri Bilge Ceylan)

Grouchy
06-09-2015, 05:28 PM
http://www.impawards.com/intl/misc/2014/posters/kis_uykusu_xlg.jpg

Grouchy
06-09-2015, 05:33 PM
So no thread for this one? That's odd. I thought Matchcut was the place to discuss artsy stuff, not just Marvel Studios and Game of Thrones.

Now this is a demanding film. I guess any family drama over three hours long earns that title, but this one is particularly interesting because of how weirdly structured it is. It could be a theater piece, since most of the character development and turning points in the plot are conveyed in the form of long, static dialogue scenes. However, Ceylan's directing style and the quality of his troupe of actors make this sort of stuff very watchable. It makes sense that this is the guy who did Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (which I haven't seen it) because at one point it occurred to me that this was shot like a Sergio Leone western without any action.

In short, very recommended. It presents us with a lot of themes to digest at the same time and it's never boring.

A

baby doll
06-10-2015, 07:04 AM
I liked parts of it, but the long scenes where the characters yammer about morality for twenty minutes at a time were painful. Not many directors can sustain a sequence for that length of time. (Incidentally, I also thought Once Upon a Time in Anatolia was about an hour too long.)