PDA

View Full Version : Spaced

number8
11-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Not surprisingly, Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg are fumed about the US remake. Bad news: they can't do shit about it as they don't own the series and have no authority, even though they badly want to pull the plug.

If you're friends with Wright on MySpace, he posted a long diatribe about it on his blog.

Kurosawa Fan
11-03-2007, 12:47 PM
I was just as disgusted when they said they were remaking The Office for American audiences, and that turned out to be one of my favorite shows. Maybe not on par with the original, but still very good and very funny, and most importantly, very much it's own show. The news of a re-imagining of Spaced doesn't sit well, but I'll reserve judgment until I see it.

number8
11-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Well, Wright out pointed out the difference in that NBC called up Gervais and Merchant and asked them to be involved in the remake, essentially asking them to write new seasons. Wright and Pegg found out about the remake when they read it on Variety.

Kurosawa Fan
11-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Well, Wright out pointed out the difference in that NBC called up Gervais and Merchant and asked them to be involved in the remake, essentially asking them to write new seasons. Wright and Pegg found out about the remake when they read it on Variety.

Hopefully that will be rectified and whoever is put in charge of developing the series contacts Pegg and Wright. Could be that they aren't at that point yet. I don't know, I'm trying to be optimistic here.

number8
11-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Check out Wright's rant if you can. They have been contacted and tried to set up a meet, but only after the news broke out. Only after they've bought the rights, hired a writer (the writer for Will & Grace, of all people), and got Fox to commission and paid for a pilot order. Wright and Pegg are rightfully insulted and now have no interest other than to get them to stop... which they can't.

Anyway, I just find the whole thing sad.

MadMan
11-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Since when has Hollywood given a shit about the rights of artists? Its a sad long term trend.

eternity
11-04-2007, 12:21 AM
If they were doing it on another channel that wasn't Fox and Pegg/Wright were at least somewhat involved with it, like Ricky Gervais was with The Office, then this would be a great thing. But the U.S. version of Spaced and the original Spaced will contrast like Call Me Crazy does to The Wexler Chronicles.

If you've seen The TV Set, you know what I'm talking about.

Kurosawa Fan
05-16-2008, 04:05 PM
I was told that the remake ended up not being commissioned and the project has been terminated. Not sure the validity, but hopefully it's true.

number8
05-16-2008, 05:27 PM
I was told that the remake ended up not being commissioned and the project has been terminated. Not sure the validity, but hopefully it's true.

It's true. I danced a jig when I heard.

The R1 DVD is still happening, though. I'm gonna buy it just for the commentaries and the new extras.

ledfloyd
05-16-2008, 06:35 PM
It's true. I danced a jig when I heard.

The R1 DVD is still happening, though. I'm gonna buy it just for the commentaries and the new extras.
the diablo cody commentary should be amazing.