PDA

View Full Version : Louie (Season 5)

Gittes
04-11-2015, 07:46 PM
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8803/16926340639_ee4792ae87_c.jpg

The premiere made me laugh. A lot. Hilarious examination of Louie as a well-intentioned social interloper, taken to both touching and surreal heights (i.e., arriving at the wrong apartment, which then turns into something vaguely redolent of the confrontation between Bill Harford and the high priest in Eyes Wide Shut).

number8
04-14-2015, 01:45 AM
The opening with the therapist seems to be a meta commentary on the direction the last season took and somewhat of a mission statement for this season.

Gittes
04-15-2015, 12:30 AM
If "I'm a boring asshole now" is Louis C.K.'s way of describing what I think was the most critically lauded season of his television show, then he's being a bit hard on himself. It also seems like a weird way to describe the fourth season.

I do recall that a lot of people disliked "So Did the Fat Lady," though.

Henry Gale
04-16-2015, 02:33 AM
The entire "climax" of the episode blew me away. Been a little while since I genuinely fell off the couch laughing.

The graphic verbal lashing he gets after it especially. With his one significant, quiet retort, "I didn't come.."

A shame this season is only going to be 8 episodes.

Gittes
04-18-2015, 05:36 AM
A great opening in the second episode. Very funny.

Louie's impending intestinal requirement (to borrow George Costanza's term) is a hilarious premise, but I thought the execution elevated it beyond just another standard bit of scatological humour. The escapade is inflected with Louie's usual ridiculous touches, which helps, but it's also nicely observed: the panic and urgency, even dialled up as it is, comes through so credibly. It's a minor, personal trauma writ large and nightmarish. It's all about the friction between a keenly felt crisis and the ongoing, indifferent rhythms of the outside world. This is a familiar and somewhat cynical idea, but it's still hilariously presented, and everything felt truthfully attuned to the emotional and psychological horror of the experience.

It's also not only about the terror of an inopportune bodily evacuation, but all of the attendant evacuations: of rules, routines, and sense. Louie forgoes his parental strictness and his frugal, health-conscious shopping habits by encouraging his daughters to buy chocolate so as to speed things along. After things get more dire, he jettisons the entire haul of groceries in a fit of panic. His desperation mounts, and he finds no convenience in the convenience store and not even a commiserating glance from a police officer.

The officer's indifference really crystallized, first, the heightened horror of the scenario, and second, the supremely recognizable frustration of finding yourself in a crisis and being unable to locate anything like sympathy or recourse in your immediate surroundings.

I've probably made it sound more ponderous than hilarious, which was not the case. I definitely found the whole thing really funny, but I also thought C.K. did a good job of bringing the desperation and the humiliation into relief. It's the funniest bit in the episode, followed by the reveal at the end (the comedian showing up on The Tonight Show).

Gittes
04-25-2015, 03:52 PM
The third episode was pretty good. The loss of the gun reminded me of Magnolia​.

Gittes
04-30-2015, 11:39 PM
FYI: check out the NPR podcast for a recent and very good interview with Louis C.K. He discusses season 4 a lot, among other things. Quite good.

Gittes
05-02-2015, 05:55 PM
I get that four consecutive posts over a considerable period of time is maybe a sign that I should stop contributing to a demonstrably sleepy thread, but just in case anyone is still interested, the most recent episode ("Bobby's House") was so good. I love how the show goes out of its way to provide these supremely unpredictable experiences that seem so far removed anything else on television. I've mentioned it before, but the elasticity of of the show, and its propensity for really unusual scenarios, is what makes it so appealing. I like Hannibal (which is a very different show, of course) for similar reasons; although, in that case, it's more about the formal inventiveness from week to week, rather than the scenarios.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7777/17343190382_e9e3962ddd_o.gif

Not to get too academic about this, but the spectatorial feelings elicited by this episode brings to mind James Naremore's discussion of the "grotesque" in Kubrick's work (where, say, R. Lee Ermey's apoplectic fits, in closeup, can seem concurrently terrifying and hilarious, and a bizarre viewing experience emerges from the friction between those competing effects). This is not to say that Louie/Jornetha was terrifying, but I think that whole escapade with Pamela similarly sets up a range of incongruent feelings and creates a pretty interesting and fresh viewing experience (i.e., so much hilarity and pathos coexists in that above .gif). It's nice to watch something that draws out such complicated and fluid reactions.

Sycophant
05-26-2015, 05:45 AM
This show's amazing and wonderful and special. This season's been great. I haven't caught last week's quite yet though, but since it's a two-parter with this week's, I'm saving them up to pair together.

Two notes:

1) Not to be that guy but I'd really like a segment or episode that focused on more out and out comedy. There've been very few episodes that don't elicit some significant laugh out of me, but I miss the more surreal edge and explicitly comedic stuff of seasons one and two sometimes. To be honest, the tone this season has been a little same-y (with the exception of the horror episode, which was also one of the funniest).

2) Okay, so Steven Wright is now a producer on the show and he's shown up only once? NEED MORE. In fact, I'd love to see C.K. just write a whole episode that centered on Wright. Louie doesn't even have to be in it.

number8
05-26-2015, 01:57 PM
That's the thing. I read an interview where Louie said he's proud of Season 4, but he admitted that he indulged a dramatic itch that he wanted to move away from this season and return it to the earlier seasons' more comic tone, which is why I thought the fact that the season opened with a therapy session to be a self-deprecating joke on his part. So far, though, I don't think it's done that very much, especially whenever Pamela Adlon is involved. Perhaps this two parter is a conscious decision to do just that. The first part seems to be very intentionally mirroring the Season 1 episode "Travel Day/South," even if it's nowhere near as surreal.

number8
06-17-2015, 03:13 AM
Just watched the finale, finally. Kinda surprised no one's talked about it yet.