PDA

View Full Version : Ex Machina (Alex Garland)

Philip J. Fry
04-11-2015, 06:59 AM
https://notjustpumpkinbread.files.word press.com/2015/01/ex-machina-poster-v01.png

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoQuVnKhxaM

IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0470752/) / wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_Machina_(film)) / RT (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ex_machina/)

Official site (http://exmachina-movie.com/)

Peng
04-11-2015, 09:15 AM
Saw this back in January because I was in UK then. It's an impressive directorial debut, milking the sci-fi setting and compositions for all their worth. However, Garland's style seems a bit too cold for the human element to resonate for me. The chilly style might work great in emphasizing wondrous insignificance (2001) or terrifying abstractness (Under the Skin), but when a large part of the story evolves around the emotional journey of Domhnall Gleeson's character in interacting with this AI, the distance keeps me away too much to connect fully with the ending. Still, good performances all around (loved Oscar Isaac's character, and I will buy the blu-ray just to watch his dance scene over and over) and clever script makes it a fun watch.

number8
04-20-2015, 02:53 PM
The coldness seems to be on purpose, considering the nature of the relationship as a Turing test and the ambiguity of the situation. I don't think the setup lends to a genuine emotional connection between them the way, say, the central relationship in Her was portrayed. There's supposed to be something ominous running through it.

I also don't think we're supposed to sympathize with how Gleeson ended up, so creating a distance between him and the audience helped.

Peng
04-20-2015, 10:36 PM
The coldness is definitely on purpose, but I think the director might misjudge how some (like me) would be invested enough in the rather familiar story to find the film occasionally drag. It will really depend on the audience, I guess. Interestingly, I just read two critics who are on opposite side of the same coin for the story's trajectory. Matt Zoller Seitz saw it as poetic inevitability, while Zach Ralston saw it as tedious obviousness.

Spinal
04-28-2015, 07:27 AM
Oscar Isaac and Alicia Vikander are extraordinary. Domhnall Gleeson ... not so much. I liked this quite a bit. Quality scene after quality scene.

Spinal
04-28-2015, 03:56 PM
Matt Zoller Seitz saw it as poetic inevitability, while Zach Ralston saw it as tedious obviousness.

The first one, definitely. I saw it with my dad and that's basically what I said to him. I said I don't think it's supposed to be surprising, it's supposed to be inevitable. And I think the film does an excellent job of conveying that.

number8
04-28-2015, 04:15 PM
I found it inevitable the moment the film decided to focus on the genders of those involved. It did seem like a simple embracing of tropes and archetypes at first with male techies and female robots, but then they bring up the implications of that, and it seems obvious that there shouldn't be an end reconciliation.

I like this point brought up in a review I read in New Statesman:

A few weeks later, I found myself talking about the film to Deborah Cameron, a professor of linguistics at Oxford University. She pointed out that there are very few male computer voices – lifts are female; the Tube announcer is female; most people prefer a female satnav. “When you ask people what they want, they use code words like ‘approachable’ or ‘relatable’. They mean subservient,” she told me. “They also want breathiness, which is a marker of sexual arousal.” In other words, even though the advent of artificial intelligence is heralded as an era of change, it is likely to reproduce the same old crappy gender dynamics.

Spinal
04-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Oscar Isaac's monologue on sexuality was one of my favorite parts.

number8
04-28-2015, 08:31 PM
Oscar Isaac's monologue on sexuality was one of my favorite parts.

There's a lot to unpack there, and it's great how many of the points were delivered as a given in the middle of his monologue, like his assertion that your attraction to a certain ethnicity can be the result of social conditioning/programming. People always get so defensive when you suggest that.

Pop Trash
04-30-2015, 06:48 AM
This is good, but it's a bit talky and never quite reaches the poetic level of Under the Skin (which it often resembles thematically). At least most of the conversations are interesting and engaging. Oscar Isaac is very entertaining, but I wonder if he is going to have that Llewyn Davis sardonic NYC thing all the time? Is that his schtick?

Idioteque Stalker
04-30-2015, 02:45 PM
I had a really good time with this. Most impressive is how entertaining, suspenseful, and titillating it is considering the dialogue-driven nature of the film. It obviously has indie (-ish) crossover hit written all over it. It really is quite tense, but unexpected moments of levity prevent it from becoming too austere, which was surprising and delightful.

The way 8 contrasted it with Her mirrors my thoughts. I'll add that, while the ominous nature of the human-AI relationship is heightened by the heady philosophical human-human dialogue, it's ultimately to this film's detriment that they choose to spell out many of the scientific ideas and thematic concepts (most criminal is the Pollock speech), no matter how oblique to the average viewer. Granted I'm no expert on the more esoteric stuff in Ex Machina, but I can't help but feel that the relationship-focus, in contrast with a nitty-gritty-philosophy-focus, helps to make Her the more elegant film. And even though I ultimately liked the last third, the overly-plotty one-upmanship of the "Well, I knew you'd do this," and "Yeah? Well I knew you'd know" had me rolling my eyes.

Anyway, definitely recommended to fans of talky sci-fi.

Pop Trash
04-30-2015, 07:54 PM
I did like the dynamics between the two characters and that Oscar Isaac's character never goes full psycho (he's really just a douchey drunk). Plus you could argue the other guy does go full psycho with the arm slicing and all of that. The moral hills and valleys are interesting.

Henry Gale
05-01-2015, 06:26 AM
Once Gleeson said "fucking amazing" about Ava, the phrase kinda echoed in my head regarding everything the film continued to do.

Sooooo much excellence to bask in and then continue to dwell on with this. It's all just awesomely dancing in my head in the moment, but once all that comes down to Earth I'll likely have more to say.

Not sure what competition there is of what I've seen so far, but easily my #1 of the year at this point.

DavidSeven
05-15-2015, 11:08 PM
On a dramatic level, I thought this was far superior to Under the Skin and Her. The film continually propels itself forward and avoids the trap of redundancy that those two couldn't avoid. Ultimately, I found it more resonating, more thought provoking, as the audience's assumptions and hopes for these characters are challenged from scene-to-scene, moment-to-moment. I was impressed by Garland's restraint on VFX and his eye for stirring visuals. This isn't a role I would've pegged for Oscar Isaac, but it is truly a convincing and complicated performance. The male protagonist (played by Gleeson) is actually the thinnest drawn and least interesting character, which is sort of interesting in itself. However, it might have been intriguing to see if a different actor could have brought more gravity to the role and how that might have changed the dynamic of this film. Vikander was a great find -- perfect for the role in physicality and presence.

Overall, there's really good work in this one.

Ezee E
05-17-2015, 12:38 AM
Yeah, there's a lot of good things going on in this one. I love seeing new technology convincingly done on screen, and there was never a second of disbelief. All the conflictive bits can be predicted from a viewer's standpoint, but since its convincing, I remained engaged. Poetic inevitability is a great description of this, and goes into Ebert's "it's how it's about it," rather then "what it's about."

I'm kind of confused as to why Gleeson cut himself. Seemed a little too much. Poor end for him.

number8
05-18-2015, 02:42 PM
I'm kind of confused as to why Gleeson cut himself.

You mean why they decided to make his character take that turn, or did you not get why he did it in the scene?

Ezee E
05-18-2015, 04:03 PM
You mean why they decided to make his character take that turn, or did you not get why he did it in the scene?

I don't get why he did it.

number8
05-18-2015, 04:45 PM
I don't get why he did it.

He was checking his body to see if he's human or AI.

Ezee E
05-18-2015, 05:06 PM
He was checking his body to see if he's human or AI.

I guess that's what I was thinking too, but think that's pretty dumb. The man bled sometime in his life. Also, there's an infinite amount of spots that he could verify that would be much preferred.

This may literally be my only criticism of the movie.

number8
05-18-2015, 05:14 PM
He did check for spots on his skin and only cut it when he couldn't find the seams to peel it back the way Kyoko did.

I think it's more for the audience than anything. There were some hints early on that are meant to suggest such a twist, and that scene ended that thread in definitive fashion and made it clear that it's not that kind of movie.

Henry Gale
05-21-2015, 09:23 PM
To what E and 8 are talking about:

Since I first heard the basic premise of the film, my mind raced about all the possibilities, and I was almost certain it would take the turn of Caleb being an A.I., if only for the fact of pulling the ultimate reversal of Nathan not needing to rationalize his own version of the Turing Test, but instead making Caleb and Ava equal components of it with only the latter being the "human" in the scenario, even if Caleb viewed himself in those terms.

At on that path of thinking, in terms of Caleb "knowing" he was human because he would've had memories of bleeding in his life: The only moments we get of him in our world are silent, speedy and almost time-lapsed snippets explaining why he's going to Nathan's retreat. It wouldn't be out of the question to say something like that (along with many other necessary details of an artificial past) could've simply been implanted. Also leaving him imprisoned and doomed at the end would suddenly read as him becoming exactly how the other A.I.'s were all along, only without his own knowledge. Could've he ostensibly lived on forever there if he were an android? Eventually discovering his immortality on the terms of realizing he doesn't need food or water to survive? The film would suddenly be about Ava discovering her humanity while Caleb turning from believing he's human to learning of his artificiality.

If there was an origami unicorn at some point, I'd say it could almost be supported as a substantial reading of the movie. But alas, it's only left as fun to imagine.

dreamdead
05-30-2015, 12:24 AM
During the flight from London to Tampa, I got to watch mediocre films (Still Alice, Into the Woods) that had a few redeeming performances. This one, despite being hampered by a small screen, was the only one that resonated in any real way, largely for the reasons articulated above. The overt philosophizing shifts intrigue from Gleeson to Vikander's character, so that her longing and desire becomes where the film's ideas are truly rooted.

In that the whole film feels inevitably tragic, the sequence where Vikander secures a fully physical "human" body was the true standout. Garland knows when to step aside and let a rush of imagery and performance carry a scene. And a lot of Issac's mannerisms are wonderfully blunt and abrasive--the type of personality who's had too much power conferred upon him for far too long.

Irish
06-15-2015, 01:28 AM
Voted "nay" again even though I'm conflicted on this one.

I enjoyed the bulk of the movie, despite the way it abuses the entire idea of a Turing test. I liked the way the conversations between the two male leads were theoretical. In some ways the thing operates as a thought experiment inside a thought experiment. One of the character places himself inside a huge, complex Skinner Box and doesn't realize it. That's cool.

As a narrative. I dunno. It's a sci-fi retelling of Perrault's Bluebeard, but almost entirely from a male point of view. That's kinda a weird thing to do. Like, seriously weird because changing the angle of approach undercuts a the power of that story.

I found the sexbot angle to be tired and dull. (Yes, because as human males the first thing we will try and do with world changing tech is try and fuck it. Of course we will). I was really, really hoping this movie would avoid it, but it doesn't. It follows a similar path to every other movie about the initial creation of AI. Christ, that's dull.

The film fast forwards over its most interesting conflicts and we see key scenes on a screen -- so for us, we're watching a screen within a screen and the action is twice removed. Every big reveal in the movie happens that way. Every other scene is two people speaking in placid tones. I don't understand that choice.

I also didn't understand the inclusion of a point of view character who clearly outlives his usefulness after the first act or so. The drama here is between the inventor and his invention, but we don't see enough of it. As a side effect, I never believed in the romance between Ava and the kid.

I should really stay away from movies about AI because I find them to be either (1) paranoid or (2) ridiculous or (3) ridiculously paranoid. This one wasn't. It was a smarter than that. But my disappointment was that it didn't explore its ideas to any great extent. Its gender motifs were straight out of a 1950s film noir, with Ava as a typical femme fatale.

The AI stuff was the more or less the usual bullshit, and deeply unimaginative. I do not understand why AI movies always assume an alien intelligence will have the exact same needs and desires to humans, and not, in any way, be truly alien or "other." (You'd think that such intelligence would be less concerned about being kept in a glass box and more concerned that its mind was arbitrarily confined to a form as flimsy as ours.)

Morris Schæffer
06-22-2015, 09:08 PM
As a side effect, I never believed in the romance between Ava and the kid.

But I believed that the kid believed, and that's precisely right.

Philip J. Fry
06-29-2015, 10:28 PM
But I believed that the kid believed, and that's precisely right.This.

KK2.0
07-05-2015, 04:01 AM
The AI stuff was the more or less the usual bullshit, and deeply unimaginative. I do not understand why AI movies always assume an alien intelligence will have the exact same needs and desires to humans, and not, in any way, be truly alien or "other." (You'd think that such intelligence would be less concerned about being kept in a glass box and more concerned that its mind was arbitrarily confined to a form as flimsy as ours.)

Maybe because AI are created by humans? Maybe because we want to play god or feel so lonely that we need to create another intelligent life to talk to, making it human shaped helps to form a connection.

Now that you said that I remembered Spielberg's movie, he actually portraits AI creatures in a distant future whose shapes aren't human anymore, after thousand years of losing contact with people and improving themselves, their shapes moved from human-like to something more "alien" for lack of a better word.

watched Ex-Machina today btw, never found it dull, the conversations were all engaging and the FX elegant. I feared that the ending would fall into some thriller cliche, but fortunately it never turned to that.

transmogrifier
07-19-2015, 10:37 AM
68/100

The deliberate chilliness mixes well with the surface philosophizing, and both are elevated in turn by the wonder of Isaac's unique take on the possibly power-mad scientist - turn him into a jocular jock. Never really achieves true lift off - the ending is satisfying enough without being anything resonant and it raises a few annoying practical questions (e.g., I don't really get why Ava leaves Caleb behind - surely she could have seen him as useful in the real world, at least for a while? He may have objected to the murder, I guess, but at least have a scene where she tries to persuade him to come. And why does losing a jaw "kill" Kyoko? And how will Ava charge herself? And etc.) but is quietly engrossing overall.

KK2.0
07-20-2015, 05:23 PM
Ava never cared for Caleb in the first place, he was just a means for her escape, she can't develop true feelings I guess, only a simulation of it.

transmogrifier
07-21-2015, 12:33 AM
I wasn't thinking from an affection point of view, but rather she would need a place to stay (charge?) and a way to synthesize into society or something like that. Having Caleb along would have made everything a lot easier? I don't know. The very last shot just kind of bugged me, because I was like, "Yeah, but what the hell is she going to do now?" I guess you could argue that she just wanted to see a crowd and a little of the world and now she is content to "die" but that romanticism is not supported the actual dramatic resolution of the film so....I don't know. It seemed muddy, like Ava stopped playing Caleb when the film though it convenient, when in reality she would have seen the benefit of playing him further.

Pop Trash
07-21-2015, 03:36 AM
I wasn't thinking from an affection point of view, but rather she would need a place to stay (charge?) and a way to synthesize into society or something like that. Having Caleb along would have made everything a lot easier? I don't know. The very last shot just kind of bugged me, because I was like, "Yeah, but what the hell is she going to do now?" I guess you could argue that she just wanted to see a crowd and a little of the world and now she is content to "die" but that romanticism is not supported the actual dramatic resolution of the film so....I don't know. It seemed muddy, like Ava stopped playing Caleb when the film though it convenient, when in reality she would have seen the benefit of playing him further.

It's conceivable in her robo-logic that his feelings towards her would be a big hindrance on whatever it is that she wants to do in her new "life."

transmogrifier
07-21-2015, 06:00 AM
It's conceivable in her robo-logic that his feelings towards her would be a big hindrance on whatever it is that she wants to do in her new "life."

Possibly. And it is that lack of certainty that muddles the ending and reduces its power. When I'm sat there thinking about the practicalities of how she is going to survive in her new location, and why the helicopter pilot was like "Ah fuck it, I was supposed to pick up the ginger kid, but this broad'll do, I guess," it means that you either (a) needed to end it earlier (e.g., as the elevator closed) to emphasize that she is going to do her own stuff without us worrying about the practicalities of it, or (b) explained things a little more. The ending is just a bit of a mess in that respect.

number8
07-21-2015, 05:19 PM
I saw it as punitive. The film wants to make it clear that Caleb shouldn't get to fly away with the girl he wants, even if it's just to be used. Being trapped and left to die is what Ava and the film believe to be a fate he deserves.

Philip J. Fry
03-13-2016, 08:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu1ajhotzj0

TGM
05-01-2016, 03:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoOZFuiPUNQ&feature=youtu.be&a