PDA

View Full Version : Timbuktu (Dir: Abderrahmane Sissako)

MarcusBrody
03-18-2015, 03:45 PM
http://medias.unifrance.org/medias/22/5/132374/format_page/timbuktu.jpg

(Note on release date: Timbuktu premiered last year on the festival circuit and abroad, but its US release date was 2015 and it's currently out in theaters, so I wasn't sure where to put this. If a mod thinks it would be better in 2014, if they could move it there, I'd be appreciative.)

Corporate Summary:

Not far from the ancient Malian city of Timbuktu, now ruled by the religious fundamentalists, proud cattle herder Kidane (Ibrahim Ahmed aka Pino) lives peacefully in the dunes with his wife Satima (Toulou Kiki), his daughter Toya (Layla Walet Mohamed), and Issan (Mehdi Ag Mohamed), their twelve-year-old shepherd. In town, the people suffer, powerless, from the regime of terror imposed by the Jihadists determined to control their faith. Music, laughter, cigarettes, even soccer have been banned. The women have become shadows but resist with dignity. Every day, the new improvised courts issue tragic and absurd sentences. Kidane and his family are being spared the chaos that prevails in Timbuktu. But their destiny changes abruptly in this stunningly rendered film from a master of world cinema. (C) CohenMedia

MarcusBrody
03-18-2015, 03:48 PM
I got to see this last night and it was one of the most affecting experiences I've had in sometime. It's a beautiful film visually. There are a couple of extended, very wide shots that are the most effective that I've seen in a while. It's well acted and each of the small pieces helps draw into relief the suffering and contradictions inherent in the situation it captures.

It's a definite must see for me.

A to A+

dreamdead
08-28-2015, 10:40 PM
This is streaming on Amazon Prime now.

It is excellent. Phenomenal study on how terrorists use Islam to gain their own foothold in culture, how the perpetrate violence against women, and how they feign politeness knowing that they may always draw on violence if that politeness isn't acqiesced to. The only flaw is the use of overly emotive music in a few instances.

The soccer match is revelatory, and the long-shot walking away from the river is stellar. If nothing else, this is a great indictment of how doing nothing about these travails only punishes the weak.

An amazing picture.