PDA

View Full Version : The Last Man On Earth

Henry Gale
03-04-2015, 08:50 PM
http://www.fox.com/sites/default/files/styles/photo_gallery_watermark/public/lastman-06%5B2%5D_1.jpg?itok=H9IYa499

Henry Gale
03-04-2015, 09:02 PM
Thought the premiere for this was fairly excellent. Just the right blend of ridiculousness and sincerity that Lord & Miller's past work has maintained, with Forte's beautifully bizarre sensibilities showing just as much. I get why FOX made the premiere as the first two episodes, but I really could watch the sort of stuff they did in the opening 22 minutes for hours and hours because Forte, Lord & Miller really are hilarious and inventive enough to make that stuff work so insanely watchable to the point that its almost its own new form of brilliance.

Speaking of stuff I could've watched more of, here's an early trailer from what I'm assuming is the original, un-aired pilot from when it was originally ordered by NBC, since none of this is in the final show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwnQ-SbtJug

So anyone on the fence, I'd recommend get on this as soon as possible, since I feel like the promotion for it will start having no choice but to over-reveal certain elements of it, as much as I envy anyone that'll be able to binge this once the season wraps up.

number8
03-04-2015, 10:48 PM
I am rather disappointed that a post-apocalyptic comedy that promises to be so different about the last two people on Earth is still going to play with the same goddamn sitcom trope of a schlubby guy and his buzzkill nagging wife who hate each other living in suburbia, because that first episode with the despair creeping in is really strong. It's still funny, and I really like the jokes about adapting modern conveniences in a post-apocalypse, but man that development in the second ep took a lot of the wind out of the sails for me.

dreamdead
03-10-2015, 04:16 PM
The third episode went rather broad on showing Forte's distaste for any conventional marriage, and the idea of being dismissive about rings struck me as one that only the biggest asshole of the world would make given his early understanding of Schaal's personality. That said, the bonding that the two had with the flamethrower was cute, and the foreplay talking was equally inspired.

I'm interested in the show developing an almost Y: The Last Man approach to more and more women showing up throughout the season, though the cast list promises one other change...

number8
03-10-2015, 05:49 PM
That twist left a foul taste on me, because the abrupt end acts like we're supposed to relate to Forte's frustration as an allegory about regretting your choice to settle when a more desirable woman comes along later. It just seems like a dumb way to take this premise.

It's starting to feel like this show is trying to do what Man Seeking Woman is doing, except it's a lot less fun because it only has one sci-fi metaphor versus MSW's infinite ones. They even did the same joke a couple of eps ago with the sex aliens visiting Josh right after he started a relationship.

Dukefrukem
03-10-2015, 07:06 PM
I loved the first episode. Haven't seen the other two yet. I was laughing out loud quite a bit. Esp with the parking space bit.

Spinal
03-26-2015, 04:45 AM
Well, this show went downhill quick.

MadMan
03-26-2015, 06:38 AM
While I like the show I'm not a fan of the fifth episode. Things could change though.

Henry Gale
03-26-2015, 06:39 AM
Actually thought the newest episode was the best since the pilot.

Mothersbaugh's after-school special-sounding cues whenever Todd told a story about his life alone made me laugh heartily.

I also feel like turning Phil into an irredeemable, borderline insane person stemming entirely from Melissa was finally focused up and turned into a nice development for him to acknowledge to move on. Designing Todd as essentially the polar opposite of him to really illustrate how far Phil had fallen was a pretty ballsy thing to do to a network TV protagonist, and I really want to see where they go with his specific descent into insignificance amongst a growing group that he doesn't connect with.

Spinal
03-26-2015, 04:59 PM
I'm with 8. I feel like the show gave up way too early its promised premise before shifting into something utterly ordinary and tedious. I will probably watch again because of my devotion to Forte, but my patience is wearing thin.

Spinal
04-15-2015, 09:43 PM
After episode 8 was yet another idiotic exploration of post-apocalyptic marital fidelity, I decided to give up on this show. It's not fun or funny. It's just actively irritating.

Henry Gale
04-16-2015, 01:25 AM
Loved this week's double episode.

Phil's web of horribly conceived lies may not work be enjoyable to everyone (especially those looking to find him an easily sympathetic character at this point), but holy shit, his reactions to the new developments killed me in ways I can't explain. From him giving the fake last name to his Mike Miller scheme, the culminating in his montage of flashback lies ("Balls are clean!"), it's dizzyingly silly and equally funny to me. They've basically decided he isn't the last man on Earth anymore, but he is certainly the worst, and allowing consistently changing circumstances to throw him and his awful, nervous impulses to fuel these episodes is endlessly amusing to me.

Very happy they've already renewed this for Season 2.

Thirdmango
05-06-2015, 08:03 PM
Season over and I'm done. I doubt I'll check out the second season. The first episode was amazing. Since then it's been a laugh track comedy that could have had a million people and there would be no difference. I was ready to give up earlier but thought since the season was close to ending I might as well keep watching. But even the season finale just did nothing for me. Such a waste of an amazing pilot.