PDA

View Full Version : American Idol

Pages : [1] 2 3

Spinal
02-20-2008, 05:32 AM
Top 12 men tonight and boy oh boy it was pretty weak. I kind of liked the dreadlocked kid with the guitar and the Australian certainly has stage presence, but other than that ... lotsa crapola. The thing with the Australian is even at his best, he's gonna be what? A poor man's Gavin Rossdale? Danny Noriega is utterly comical to me. Looking forward to seeing what Amanda and Carly do tomorrow night.

Lucky
02-20-2008, 05:35 AM
I haven't really been watching, but the fact that Amy Davis made the Top 24 is HUGE news in these parts. She's been performing at our bar for about a year now, and I can honestly say is a sweet girl. I'm silently rooting for her if it's truly what she wants.

Spinal
02-20-2008, 05:37 AM
I haven't really been watching, but the fact that Amy Davis made the Top 24 is HUGE news in these parts. She's been performing at our bar for about a year now, and I can honestly say is a sweet girl. I'm silently rooting for her if it's truly what she wants.

Cool. I haven't really noticed her thus far, but I'll be looking forward to seeing how she does tomorrow night.

Raiders
02-20-2008, 03:18 PM
The kid with the guitar was pretty terrific, I thought. And though the style of music does nothing for me, that 17 year-old shy kid that they all loved was a pretty darn good singer. The last guy was also pretty good, but he's no Jim Morrison.

Benny Profane
02-20-2008, 03:21 PM
www.votefortheworst.com

Raiders
02-20-2008, 03:27 PM
www.votefortheworst.com (http://www.votefortheworst.com)

What a waste of energy.

Kurosawa Fan
02-20-2008, 03:38 PM
www.votefortheworst.com (http://www.votefortheworst.com)

It will never happen, but if it did, that would be glorious. I think even if it did catch on, if the producers thought this was happening they'd start rigging the voting. No chance they'd give a record deal to some slouch who couldn't sing.

Benny Profane
02-20-2008, 03:40 PM
It will never happen, but if it did, that would be glorious. I think even if it did catch on, if the producers thought this was happening they'd start rigging the voting. No chance they'd give a record deal to some slouch who couldn't sing.

Like Taylor Hicks?

Kurosawa Fan
02-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Like Taylor Hicks?

He couldn't have been close to the worst. I don't watch the show, so I can't say for sure, but he seemed to have a niche from what I saw of him.

Benny Profane
02-20-2008, 03:45 PM
He couldn't have been close to the worst. I don't watch the show, so I can't say for sure, but he seemed to have a niche from what I saw of him.

I think the point is that "the worst" changes every week. If by chance the "real" worst one gets voted off, then they come up with the new worst person to vote for. So Hicks might not have been the worst to start, but he might have been the worst of, say, the last 10 contestants.

Many people attributed Sanjaya's staying power last year to this site. It is a lot more popular than you might think.

I don't really watch the show either, my wife does, but someone forwarded me the site and it's fun to read all the negative comments this guy gets on a daily basis. He also goes into pretty great detail of the dishonesty of the show, based on former contestants' comments.

Kurosawa Fan
02-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Right, my comment was intended to mean that if "the worst" that made it to Hollywood kept advancing, someone who was obviously in way over their heads, the producers would interfere before the end of the show.

Raiders
02-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Next we'll be finding out that pro wrestling is fake.

Kurosawa Fan
02-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Next we'll be finding out that pro wrestling is fake.

I wasn't saying it in a negative way. If I were a producer, I'd find a way to interfere as well. I sure as shit wouldn't give a contract to a guy/girl with no talent.

rocus
02-20-2008, 03:56 PM
The final guy was definitely the best of the night. The two Elvis guys were beyond horrible. The girls should be interesting tonight. At the risk of sounding extremely shallow, there are some very good looking girls in the top 12.

Spinal
02-20-2008, 04:05 PM
And though the style of music does nothing for me, that 17 year-old shy kid that they all loved was a pretty darn good singer.

I can't stand that kid. I don't get the appeal.

rocus
02-20-2008, 04:08 PM
I get it. He's my second favorite from the show. He seems to be actually humble and has a very good voice. I think he picked a bad song last night, but he really stood out in Hollywood.

Benny Profane
02-20-2008, 04:09 PM

Obviously you are not a 13 year old girl.

Or a kid toucher.

Spinal
02-20-2008, 04:15 PM
He seems to be actually humble and has a very good voice.

I find his 'aw shucks' personality to be grating and his voice to be nothing special, but that's just me.

Spinal
02-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Obviously you are not a 13 year old girl.

Or a kid toucher.

I'm glad both those things are obvious.

Raiders
02-20-2008, 05:10 PM

His voice isn't very unique, I admit. He reminds me of someone like Josh Groban, who has great technique and pitch, but whose vocals lack much of anything distinguishable or emotional.

rocus
02-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Didn't really like any of the girls. The one who sang Piece of My Heart did well. That Tobacco Road was painful.

Spinal
02-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Wow, really? I thought they were far superior to the dudes. I enjoyed Amanda and Carly in particular, but I thought that there were only a few shaky performances. Unlike the men, there was nothing comically bad. Just a bit boring from time to time.

Benny Profane
02-22-2008, 02:31 PM
http://cdn.maxim.com/22501-23000/22527_amy_davis_gm_l7.jpg

They voted this girl off the show?

Idiots.

Lucky
02-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Poor Amy getting voted off the first night. Oh well, she didn't pick a good song and that's what happens. Hopefully she'll be back playing next month.

Spinal
02-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Bummer your gal went so early. That song was indeed kind of a killer. Right now Amanda and Jason Castro seem most interesting to me. Will have to see how versatile they are. I'm still wondering if Amanda has another gear, but that one gear she has is pretty smooth.

Wryan
02-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Why do you all watch this show?

Don't read too much connotation into that. I'm asking that literally.

Spinal
02-22-2008, 07:09 PM

To see young aspiring entertainers struggle to adapt to mainstream expectations and industry manipulation.

rocus
02-22-2008, 07:37 PM

My wife likes it. We have an agreement: I watch shows like this with her and she watches all of those "weird movies that those people on the website" talk about.

I enjoy the competition aspect of it, though. I watch to see who can raise their game each week and out sing the rest of the competitors. If you are compairing them to musicians you love, then I can see why some people would hate the show.

Wryan
02-22-2008, 07:41 PM
To see young aspiring entertainers struggle to adapt to mainstream expectations and industry manipulation.

Thank you, at least, for pointedly using the word "entertainers." Though I myself find nothing entertaining about that show beyond the occasional good singer, my mother and brother are hooked on it. Beyond that, should they really be encouraged to adapt to mainstream expectations and should that be the reason to watch? Is it really that fun to watch innocent, naive talent be squeezed and sculpted by a manipulative and canny industry? I kinda find it soul-crushing, and not just because of Ryan Seacrest.

But I admit I can see why others would find it a lark.

Benny Profane
02-22-2008, 07:43 PM
I like to laugh when Simon makes someone feel this small.

Spinal
02-22-2008, 07:43 PM
If you are compairing them to musicians you love, then I can see why some people would hate the show.

Yeah, definitely. It's all about context. I think I like it for the same reason I enjoy watching karaoke. It's not about making beautiful music necessarily. I enjoy the dynamics of the room and watching how people strategize to please a broad audience. I like pondering about why one thing succeeds and one thing fails. It doesn't even really matter if the show rewards the talent that I happen to think is best. I enjoy analyzing why that happened.

Wryan
02-22-2008, 07:45 PM
My wife likes it. We have an agreement: I watch shows like this with her and she watches all of those "weird movies that those people on the website" talk about.

That is an oft-cited reason indeed.

I enjoy the competition aspect of it, though. I watch to see who can raise their game each week and out sing the rest of the competitors. If you are compairing them to musicians you love, then I can see why some people would hate the show.

Oh I'm definitely not comparing them to musicians. I know what they are, and what they are is perfectly fine...for what they are. I must admit I glean grim satisfaction out of one of the winner's failed attempts at releasing an album. I know that probably sounds horrible of me, given that it's these peoples' dreams, but hey a bellyflop is entertaining in its own right. :)

Spinal
02-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Beyond that, should they really be encouraged to adapt to mainstream expectations and should that be the reason to watch? Is it really that fun to watch innocent, naive talent be squeezed and sculpted by a manipulative and canny industry?

Just to be clear, I get more enjoyment out of it when the young talent succeeds in the face of manipulation rather than crumbles. I don't watch it for sadistic pleasure like some. The first episodes are my least favorite. I see the incoherent judges and the drooling masses as the villians and the newcomers as the sympathetic protagonists (generally).

Wryan
02-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah, definitely. It's all about context. I think I like it for the same reason I enjoy watching karaoke. It's not about making beautiful music necessarily. I enjoy the dynamics of the room and watching how people strategize to please a broad audience. I like pondering about why one thing succeeds and one thing fails. It doesn't even really matter if the show rewards the talent that I happen to think is best. I enjoy analyzing why that happened.

Sure, and that's shrewd of you, but you must admit that the vast, vast, VAST majority of people watching the show aren't analyzing it in nearly the same way, including my mom and brother. I'm not a doom-and-gloomer who insists that it's the downfall of American civilization (course not...other countries have their versions too!). But I will say I think it's perfectly rational why it attracts so many millions of viewers; at the same time, it's perfectly odd and curious.

Wryan
02-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Just to be clear, I get more enjoyment out of it when the young talent succeeds in the face of manipulation rather than crumbles. I don't watch it for sadistic pleasure like some. The first episodes are my least favorite. I see the incoherent judges and the drooling masses as the villians and the newcomers as the sympathetic protagonists (generally).

Yeah I figured that's what you meant. But I don't think the producers have that in mind. They're just present to manufacture, manufacture, manufacture.

Spinal
02-27-2008, 04:34 AM
I can't believe that punk kid sang John Lennon's "Imagine" and pretended that the first two verses don't exist. If you don't want to sing about "no heaven" or "no religion", pick a different song.

Raiders
02-27-2008, 04:37 AM
I can't believe that punk kid sang John Lennon's "Imagine" and pretended that the first two verses don't exist. If you don't want to sing about "no heaven" or "no religion", pick a different song.

Um, they only have enough time for partial songs, and he mentioned he liked the third verse the most. What's with the misguided hostility?

Spinal
02-27-2008, 04:55 AM
Um, they only have enough time for partial songs, and he mentioned he liked the third verse the most. What's with the misguided hostility?

Oh come on, it's a coincidence that he neutered the song and chose the one that doesn't explicitly condemn religion? It just annoys me when people pretend that John Lennon didn't say what he said.

number8
02-27-2008, 05:30 AM
I think the point is that "the worst" changes every week. If by chance the "real" worst one gets voted off, then they come up with the new worst person to vote for. So Hicks might not have been the worst to start, but he might have been the worst of, say, the last 10 contestants.

I'm sorry, I watched every episode that year, and Taylor Hicks was the only talent in the entire competition.

Benny Profane
02-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Oh come on, it's a coincidence that he neutered the song and chose the one that doesn't explicitly condemn religion? It just annoys me when people pretend that John Lennon didn't say what he said.

The angry atheist. You should start a late-night talk show to even out the drone of the evangelicals.

I'm just surprised that all the judges thought that was an amazing performance. I don't know if it's mandated by the producers or what, but seriously? Nothing special.

Spinal
02-27-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm just surprised that all the judges thought that was an amazing performance. I don't know if it's mandated by the producers or what, but seriously? Nothing special.

Yeah, I mean at best he's the second coming of Donny Osmond. Whoop-dee-doo.

Raiders
02-28-2008, 03:43 AM
The girls were frakkin' awful. Every one of them. Well, OK, I missed the first two (which included Carly). But the other eight were borderline atrocious.

Spinal
02-28-2008, 05:19 AM
Carly did pretty damn well in my opinion. Video. (http://www.rickey.org/?p=7185#more-7185)

But mostly I got to agree with you. Amanda was particularly disappointing. That song was a mess.

rocus
02-28-2008, 12:30 PM
I'll third that. This season is shaping up to be worst than last, and that's pretty bad.

Benny Profane
02-29-2008, 02:54 PM
I've always found it strange that they make the contestants sing the same song that they sucked at the night before as their grand exit off the show. Let's relive your terrible performance one more time, shall we.

Raiders
03-05-2008, 04:11 AM
After tonight, I am fairly certain of who my favorite guy is. Good cover of the Cohen song, though it was pretty much just like the Buckley version. Still, well performed.

Wryan
03-05-2008, 04:21 AM
After tonight, I am fairly certain of who my favorite guy is. Good cover of the Cohen song, though it was pretty much just like the Buckley version. Still, well performed.

I was looking through another blog and someone posted a youtube of him doing it. I agree nice, but yeah owes a considerable debt to Buckley, although it'd be hard not to.

Spinal
03-05-2008, 04:44 AM
Definitely agreed on Jason. Also liked David C.'s take on Lionel Richie.

rocus
03-05-2008, 04:14 PM
I really liked the Hello song, too. When he walked out with a guitar I wasn't sure that it would work, but it was very good. Performance of the night for me.

Tainted Love guy and Luke (who sang the Wham song) both need to go.

Sycophant
03-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Wait, that kid that some of you were dismissing a couple pages back... was that Josiah Lemming? A friend of mine recorded a cover of one of his songs which just turned me onto the kid's music. From what I've heard so far, I really like him.

Spinal
03-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Tainted Love guy and Luke (who sang the Wham song) both need to go.

This seems likely.

Wait, that kid that some of you were dismissing a couple pages back... was that Josiah Lemming? A friend of mine recorded a cover of one of his songs which just turned me onto the kid's music. From what I've heard so far, I really like him.

I'm pretty sure it was David Archuleta we were talking about.

Sycophant
03-05-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm pretty sure it was David Archuleta we were talking about.

Then nevermind!

Spinal
03-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Then nevermind!

Josiah definitely had some skillz. I'm guessing he didn't make the final 24 because he was kind of all over the place emotionally.

Ashley
03-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Definitely agreed on Jason. Also liked David C.'s take on Lionel Richie.They were my favourites last night as well, and I would say they're my two favourites overall on the guy's side right now. My biggest disappointment has to be Michael. I thought he was easily the best the first week, but he's done nothing for me the last two.

Spinal
03-05-2008, 04:42 PM
My biggest disappointment has to be Michael. I thought he was easily the best the first week, but he's done nothing for me the last two.

He's been pretty bland, hasn't he? He needs to find another gear quickly.

rocus
03-05-2008, 10:49 PM
If you liked the Hello song from last night, check this out. It's from Rockstar INXS. Marty Casey had to sing the song Hit Me Baby One More Time (he picked it out of a hat). Everyone was laughing, but he came out with a great rendition of the song.

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8AvxF4FWEA)

Benny Profane
03-05-2008, 10:54 PM
He's been pretty bland, hasn't he? He needs to find another gear quickly.

The funny part was when Randy Jackson thought the song was by INXS.

Spinal
03-06-2008, 04:39 AM
Good lord, the judges were especially irritating tonight. Even more so than usual. Focus!

rocus
03-06-2008, 12:26 PM
No kidding. The poor last girl didn't even have time to get any real comments about her performance. I'm glad I watch on DVR so I can zip past Paula. She is useless.

Nothing very special from the girls tonight, but I'm bored with the "divas" singing Whitney so much. Don't they realize that a diva has never won the show?

Ashley
03-06-2008, 12:40 PM
No kidding. The poor last girl didn't even have time to get any real comments about her performance. I'm glad I watch on DVR so I can zip past Paula. She is useless.

Nothing very special from the girls tonight, but I'm bored with the "divas" singing Whitney so much. Don't they realize that a diva has never won the show?Seriously. By my count, counting covers, between the guys and girls we got three Whitney's, two Celine's, and a Mariah. Find something different to do. Also totally agreed about the judges being extra annoying. I hate it when they make the show all about them.

I liked Brooke the most of the girls, followed by Carly and Amanda. Everyone else was meh. Were the 80s really that boring?

Benny Profane
03-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Good lord, the judges were especially irritating tonight. Even more so than usual. Focus!

Does anyone even care what Randy or Paula have to say? I feel like the entire audience, both live and at home, are just waiting to see whether Simon liked it or not. Randy with his stupid colloquialisms (to put it nicely) and Paula with her drunken ramblings, I am surprised they haven't replaced these two simps much sooner. Nobody tunes in to hear their opinion, I feel.

Maybe if the ratings dip drastically.

rocus
03-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Were the 80s really that boring?If you are talking top forty music then pretty much, which is why I mostly listened to rap. I got through the 80s with help from NWA, The Fresh Prince, Public Enemy, Run DMC, and Eric B. I'm pretty sure they won't be having a night devoted to that anytime soon.

Spinal
03-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Seriously. By my count, counting covers, between the guys and girls we got three Whitney's, two Celine's, and a Mariah. Find something different to do. Also totally agreed about the judges being extra annoying. I hate it when they make the show all about them.

I always consider "I Drove All Night" a Cyndi Lauper song.

Spinal
03-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Does anyone even care what Randy or Paula have to say? I feel like the entire audience, both live and at home, are just waiting to see whether Simon liked it or not. Randy with his stupid colloquialisms (to put it nicely) and Paula with her drunken ramblings, I am surprised they haven't replaced these two simps much sooner. Nobody tunes in to hear their opinion, I feel.

Is Simon really that much better? I think people think so just because he is frequently negative, but I really don't think there's any more substance to his criticisms.

Benny Profane
03-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Is Simon really that much better? I think people think so just because he is frequently negative, but I really don't think there's any more substance to his criticisms.

I agree with the latter part of your post, but I think he is better at delivering his criticisms, and the force of his personality is the deciding factor for the voters, I believe. If he loved a performance, that contestant always stays on for another week. If he vehemently hates it, that contestant won't likely stick around unless he hates someone else's performance just as much, or more. The other judges don't have that sort of sway. I have no way of verifying this, but it's my perception.

Spinal
03-06-2008, 04:04 PM
I agree with the latter part of your post, but I think he is better at delivering his criticisms, and the force of his personality is the deciding factor for the voters, I believe.

Yes. This is a fair point. He is at least succinct and generally coherent.

rocus
03-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Actually I think Simon does usually have something to say. Randy either says they were pitchy or that it started off rough, but then they worked it out. I'm convinced Paula would think I'm a bright, shinning star. But Simon gives them actual advice like why the song wasn't right for them, or that they aren't showing enough personality. Of course, part of the fun is having him tell someone they were awful and the crowd lustily booing him. But at least it's fun.

Spinal
03-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Actually I think Simon does usually have something to say. Randy either says they were pitchy or that it started off rough, but then they worked it out.

I think Simon's criticisms are just as meaningless and shallow. He'll say it was very "cabaret" or "karaoke". He'll say that it was "like a drunk guy at a wedding". He'll say that someone is "forgettable" or has "got it". He says it's constructive criticism, but generally it's not anything that you could take away and do anything about.

Raiders
03-06-2008, 04:40 PM
I think Simon's criticisms are just as meaningless and shallow. He'll say it was very "cabaret" or "karaoke". He'll say that it was "like a drunk guy at a wedding". He'll say that someone is "forgettable" or has "got it". He says it's constructive criticism, but generally it's not anything that you could take away and do anything about.

Perhaps, but it is better than having one criticism: "pitchy." I swear I don't think Randy knows another negative word.

Spinal
03-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Perhaps, but it is better than having one criticism: "pitchy." I swear I don't think Randy knows another negative word.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not arguing that Randy's better. I just continue to be amazed at how little effort someone can put into a job watched by millions and still retain it.

DavidSeven
03-06-2008, 06:20 PM
I just continue to be amazed at how little effort someone can put into a job watched by millions and still retain it.

http://blog.apocalypse.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/bush.jpg

Spinal
03-06-2008, 06:23 PM
:lol:/:cry:

Sycophant
03-06-2008, 06:24 PM
:lol:/:cry:The emoticons that defined a generation.

Spinal
03-06-2008, 06:27 PM
The emoticons that defined a generation.

Indeed, but :| is the one that got us into this mess in the first place.

lovejuice
03-06-2008, 10:07 PM
i estimate six philosophical/political/sociological science thesis can be written based on the last four posts.

oh, and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knhErtMjC8k

Spinal
03-12-2008, 03:42 AM
Simon has criticized people singing "In My Life" and "If I Fell" for not choosing good songs. The man is just throwing darts at a dartboard and fooling people with his conviction.

Raiders
03-12-2008, 04:00 AM
Simon has criticized people singing "In My Life" and "If I Fell" for not choosing good songs. The man is just throwing darts at a dartboard and fooling people with his conviction.

Yeah, but that version of "In My Life" was atrocious. It's mine and the missus' song (our first dance at the wedding), and it almost brought tears to my eyes how lame an arrangement it was. Heck the girl even got the meaning of the song all wrong in her interview!

The only performance of the night I truly enjoyed was Brooke's surprisingly heartfelt and emotional "Let it Be." David's arrangement of "Eleanor Rigby" isn't my kind of song, but his take on it was unique and thoroughly well performed, though it missed the haunting nature of the original production which accented the lyrics so perfectly.

Spinal
03-12-2008, 04:03 AM
Yeah, but that version of "In My Life" was atrocious. It's mine and the missus' song (our first dance at the wedding), and it almost brought tears to my eyes how lame an arrangement it was. Heck the girl even got the meaning of the song all wrong in her interview!

Definitely agree with what you say here. I think she bobbled the words at the beginning too. But Simon specifically dogged the song! "In My Life" is top 5-10 Beatles songs for me easy.

Spinal
03-12-2008, 04:49 AM
Kristy's "Eight Days a Week" ... oh dear, that was ... not good.

Raiders
03-12-2008, 05:09 AM
Kristy's "Eight Days a Week" ... oh dear, that was ... not good.

I don't really think a whole lot of the original actually, except for the wonderful slowdown during the chorus that resembles the wearing down of the grind of "eight days a week," but she didn't even keep that. Her idea would have been better suited for a song like "I've Just Seen a Face."

Spinal
03-12-2008, 05:34 AM
Her idea would have been better suited for a song like "I've Just Seen a Face."

Good call. Yeah, that might have worked. I was gonna suggest "Act Naturally", but then I realized that it wasn't a Lennon/McCartney song.

Quick rundown:

Syesha - Not bad, but not very memorable. Just kind of there.

Chikezie - Verging on ridiculous, but contained so much energy and variety that I actually kind of liked it. Looked like he was determined to let it all hang out.

Ramiele - Little confidence. Little risk. I like her, but she seems very timid. Could be in trouble.

Jason - Kind of similar to past performances, but I like what he has going on. I hope he sticks around for a while.

Carly - I'm not a huge fan of "Come Together", but I enjoyed what she did with it. She has been consistently the most exciting performer of the competition for me. I like her confidence and that intense look she gets on her face.

David C. - The ending was great vocally, but I didn't really like what he did with the song. Raiders said it already. Those verses were just lacking the quiet intensity of the original. Still, a strong performance.

Brooke - Honest. Straightforward. Heartfelt. Definitely worked.

David H. - The judges were right about the problem with this one. He picked a song that even I could sing decently and tried to force the vocals. Plus the shirt untucked thing and playing in the audience really felt forced.

Amanda - I like her. I liked this for the most part, but I was kind of bothered that her vocal riffing meant that a key lyric was dropped in the chorus. Still, a strong performance.

Michael - I think Randy and Simon whiffed on this one. I was very skeptical about him doing this song, but I thought it was excellent. His voice sounded good. His presentation was clearly heartfelt and he moved me. That song always moves me when done well.

Kristy - Disaster Part I. I was embarrassed for my home state. Simon's "country fair" comment was actually accurate this time.

David A. - Disaster Part II. Wow, didn't see this coming. He biffed it hard. Screwing up the lyrics twice? He looked like he just wanted it to be over after that.

In summary ...

Favorites:
Carly
Brooke
Michael

Good/Solid:
Chikezie
Jason
David C.
Amanda

Boring:
Syesha
Ramiele

Bad:
David H.
Kristy
David A.

Benny Profane
03-12-2008, 01:37 PM
It won't happen, but I hope David Archuleta gets the heave-ho tonite.

Milky Joe
03-12-2008, 06:57 PM

He actually said that? Must be an act. Has to be.

Spinal
03-12-2008, 07:09 PM
It won't happen, but I hope David Archuleta gets the heave-ho tonite.

Merely the first chink in his armor, I'm afraid.

Kurosawa Fan
03-12-2008, 07:10 PM
He actually said that? Must be an act. Has to be.

Umm.....

Spinal
03-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Umm.....

*launches ICBM*

Kurosawa Fan
03-12-2008, 07:16 PM
*launches ICBM*

I moved to Portland early, sucker!!

Spinal
03-12-2008, 07:17 PM
I moved to Portland early, sucker!!

Abort! Abort!

Ashley
03-12-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm neither a fan nor a hater of David Archuleta, but man was I cringing for him when he forgot the lyrics. I hate seeing that happen to anyone. Even beyond that though I thought he sounded incredibly nervous the whole way through. And how they hell can you be as involved in music as he obviously is and not be familiar with The Beatles?!

My favourites were Brooke, Carly, and surprisingly, Chikeze last night. David Cook was good too, though I obviously prefer the original arrangement by a mile. He is starting to get a little more Chris Daughtry-like than I'd like, but for some reason I don't hate him the way I did Daughtry. I can't believe I agreed with Paula on Michael, but I thought he was great, definitely the best he's been since "Light my Fire", and I'm thanking several deities that he didn't do what Randy and Simon wanted and make it "bigger".

Spinal
03-12-2008, 08:35 PM
I can't believe I agreed with Paula on Michael, but I thought he was great, definitely the best he's been since "Light my Fire", and I'm thanking several deities that he didn't do what Randy and Simon wanted and make it "bigger".

Absolutely. I really felt for Michael after that. The song obviously meant a lot to him. He probably gave the performance of his life thus far and then he has to listen to those two tools. For supposed experts in the field, Randy and Simon sometimes betray a startling lack of sensitivity to what makes for a compelling performance.

Ashley
03-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Damn, Fox must have had to fork over an awful lot of cash for Lennon-McCartney if they're doing them two weeks in a row.

Also, Taylor Hicks' "Something" >>>>>>>>>>> Kat McPhee's "Something"

rocus
03-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Damn, Fox must have had to fork over an awful lot of cash for Lennon-McCartney if they're doing them two weeks in a row.

Also, Taylor Hicks' "Something" >>>>>>>>>>> Kat McPhee's "Something"

McPhee's performance would have been one of the worst the night before. She did the same thing wrong that the girl who sang In My Life did; she tried to make it to melodic and sing songy. The both completely lost the emotion of the songs.

Raiders
03-13-2008, 03:12 PM
McPhee's performance would have been one of the worst the night before. She did the same thing wrong that the girl who sang In My Life did; she tried to make it to melodic and sing songy. The both completely lost the emotion of the songs.

Almost all Idol performances are like that. It is why Brooke's performance this week was so great. She didn't do anything extraordinary with the song, but the emotion she put into the performance made it extremely memorable.

Spinal
03-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Almost all Idol performances are like that. It is why Brooke's performance this week was so great. She didn't do anything extraordinary with the song, but the emotion she put into the performance made it extremely memorable.

It's a tricky thing to negotiate on that show where the judges are so incoherent about communicating what they want. Brooke was (rightly) praised for her heartfelt, straightforward take, whereas Michael was (wrongly) criticized for not adding vocal flourishes to "Across the Universe".

Benny Profane
03-13-2008, 07:05 PM
It's a tricky thing to negotiate on that show where the judges are so incoherent about communicating what they want. Brooke was (rightly) praised for her heartfelt, straightforward take, whereas Michael was (wrongly) criticized for not adding vocal flourishes to "Across the Universe".

Bottom line: Brooke sang her song better than Michael sang his.

That said, I agree with your criticism of the judges.

Me personally, I don't think Michael is that great of a singer and it shows. He is off a LOT.

Spinal
03-15-2008, 04:58 PM
David Hernandez reveals (http://www.rickey.org/?p=7354) that they were only given a list of 24 songs to choose from. This is different than the impression they give on the show when the judges crack on them for song choice. They make it seem like every Lennon/McCartney song is up for grabs.

Wryan
03-15-2008, 06:01 PM
David Hernandez reveals (http://www.rickey.org/?p=7354) that they were only given a list of 24 songs to choose from. This is different than the impression they give on the show when the judges crack on them for song choice. They make it seem like every Lennon/McCartney song is up for grabs.

Unimaginable!

Spinal
03-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Unimaginable!

Of course not. But kinda interesting, I think.

number8
03-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Thank you Best Week Ever and The Soup for showing me the highlights.

WTF was with that chick singing 8 Days a Week on superspeed?

Spinal
03-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Thank you Best Week Ever and The Soup for showing me the highlights.

WTF was with that chick singing 8 Days a Week on superspeed?

Yeah, that was pretty terrible. The previous week the judges had told her to embrace her country side and somehow that got translated as 'turn your Beatles song into a drunken hoedown.'

Raiders
03-19-2008, 03:20 AM
Alright, tonight confirmed it. Simon is a know-nothing idiot. "Here Comes the Sun" and "Blackbird" are bad songs? WTF?

Oh, and the only people I liked tonight were Carly and Chikezie.

Spinal
03-19-2008, 03:22 AM
Oh man. Kristy did it again.

Spinal
03-19-2008, 03:31 AM
I don't want to keep dogging on Archuleta because it's boring, but I feel like I am detached from reality from I hear what the judges say to him. He was clearly sharp in the beginning and flat in the end and boring in the middle and yet Simon calls it a 'master class'. What the fuck ever, dude.

Henry Gale
03-19-2008, 04:47 AM
When Simon refers to songs as "bad" on things like Beatles night, I'm pretty sure he means they were a bad fit for the performer rather than throwaway pieces of music.

I remember him also saying years back that the reason he doesn't criticize the contestants on their pitch as much as Randy or Paula is because he finds the show so loud in person that he can't always judge that sort of thing as well as he can when he watches it later at home.

But yeah, tonight sucked. I think I only liked Chikeze and Jason.

Spinal
03-19-2008, 04:56 AM
I missed Brooke and David C., but I think I agree with Raiders. Carly and Chikezie were memorable. Amanda I liked, but in the same way I've liked her for weeks now. The rest ... big mess.

chrisnu
03-19-2008, 05:49 AM
I enjoyed Carly and David C. the most. I liked Syesha tonight; she showed a little emotion. Amanda and David A. are going to need to mix it up, or they're going to be typecast, if they aren't already. Jason, he seems like a cool, easygoing guy, I just don't think he has much of a voice. Chikezie, I thought the faster part of his performance was bordering on shouting. Everyone else either didn't sing well, or didn't sing with any emotion. I really hope Brooke bounces back next week; that was just the wrong song for her.

Spinal
03-19-2008, 07:44 AM
Watched David C. and Brooke online. I thought both were strong. I think Brooke's problem had more to do with cheesy blocking and an odd outfit rather than her actual performance. Didn't get the judges comments, so I have no idea what those nitwits said.

chrisnu
03-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Wow. All of this is easily verifiable stuff.

The Truth About the Contestants of American Idol 7 (http://votefortheworst.com/americanidol7contestants)

That covers more than half of the top 12. Carly is actually mentioned among the "20 Biggest Record Company Screw-Ups of All Time", at #15, from an article on Blender.com posted last week:

http://www.blender.com/articles/default.aspx?key=18696&pg=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0xEvNlF42I

Yikes.

Spinal
03-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Do you honestly care about any of that stuff? I don't really see why it matters.

chrisnu
03-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Do you honestly care about any of that stuff? I don't really see why it matters.
No, just interesting that it hasn't come up on the show at all.

Benny Profane
03-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Syesha was the best last night. Followed by David Cook. I don't get the love for Carly or David A. AT ALL. Brook needs to shut up when being spoken to by the judges. Otherwise, I like her a lot.

I would like to suckle on Syesha's milk pumps. That girl is very hot.

Raiders
03-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Syesha was the best last night. Followed by David Cook. I don't get the love for Carly or David A. AT ALL. Brook needs to shut up when being spoken to by the judges. Otherwise, I like her a lot.

I would like to suckle on Syesha's milk pumps. That girl is very hot.

I hated Syesha's performance. Talk about over-doing the ballad. It moved at what, five beats a minute? It is a two-minute song that she barely got through half of. Yeah, her vocals were pretty good. But yeesh that was torture.

And I don't know what your beef with Carly would be. She did a great arrangement of "Blackbird." From the way she coda'd each verse with the chorus (as opposed to McCartney's version which just places it in the middle) to her subtly unique rhythm she picked for the song.

David A. does indeed suck, though.

Benny Profane
03-19-2008, 03:02 PM
I hated Syesha's performance. Talk about over-doing the ballad. It moved at what, five beats a minute? It is a two-minute song that she barely got through half of. Yeah, her vocals were pretty good. But yeesh that was torture.

And I don't know what your beef with Carly would be. She did a great arrangement of "Blackbird." From the way she coda'd each verse with the chorus (as opposed to McCartney's version which just places it in the middle) to her subtly unique rhythm she picked for the song.

David A. does indeed suck, though.

My beef with Carly is that I don't rate her as a great singer. I don't think she can wail like she thinks she can, and she ends up screaming and making ugly faces in the process. Overdoing it, to me, it is a stigma of a typical Idol performance. I sense her amateurishness and I can't overcome it.

I thought Syesha sang the song quite nicely without being a ham. She's far from my favorite, though.

Of all the contestants, David Cook is the only one who acts like a pro. He has more of a total package* at this stage.

* a softball for the perverts

Kurosawa Fan
03-19-2008, 03:32 PM

You don't care that record companies are taking their failed artists and planting them on Idol to spark their careers? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of American Idol, seeing as the show is intended to find amateur artists? If the show is indeed being rigged for record companies, it's a complete waste of time. Not that it already wasn't.

Benny Profane
03-19-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't want to keep dogging on Archuleta because it's boring, but I feel like I am detached from reality from I hear what the judges say to him. He was clearly sharp in the beginning and flat in the end and boring in the middle and yet Simon calls it a 'master class'. What the fuck ever, dude.

I also was waiting for Simon to keep it real after Randy and Paula were ejaculating all over him. Simon let me down big time. Dude has an average voice at best, and his Mickey Mouse personality is grating as hell.

He's only 17 though. I shouldn't kill him that much.

Raiders
03-19-2008, 03:40 PM
You don't care that record companies are taking their failed artists and planting them on Idol to spark their careers? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of American Idol, seeing as the show is intended to find amateur artists? If the show is indeed being rigged for record companies, it's a complete waste of time. Not that it already wasn't.

I guess it depends on why you watch it. I watch to see people take on classic songs and to watch a reality show that doesn't involve cliques, immunity idols or fashion/weddings. I really don't care about all this other stuff.

Kurosawa Fan
03-19-2008, 03:45 PM
I guess it depends on why you watch it. I watch to see people take on classic songs and to watch a reality show that doesn't involve cliques, immunity idols or fashion/weddings. I really don't care about all this other stuff.

To me it feels like a reality show with very little at stake for the contestants. If half of them already had record contracts, and the one their entering into is as putrid as has been reported, it's hard for me to generate any interest in the drama of the competition.

Not only that, but it bothers me that so much focus is paid to a singing voice, as if that's what makes music worth listening to. It's a flaw in the show that has bothered me from day one. 90% of the artists I listen to wouldn't even get a ticket to Hollywood, and they're 100x more interesting than these kids will ever be allowed to be.

Spinal
03-19-2008, 04:08 PM

Yeah, you keep implying that I expect some sort of integrity from this show. I don't. It's just a silly diversion for a couple nights a week.

Spinal
03-19-2008, 04:10 PM

I didn't like it either. Entirely overwrought.

Raiders
03-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Not only that, but it bothers me that so much focus is paid to a singing voice, as if that's what makes music worth listening to. It's a flaw in the show that has bothered me from day one. 90% of the artists I listen to wouldn't even get a ticket to Hollywood, and they're 100x more interesting than these kids will ever be allowed to be.

Well, yeah, but listen to the radio. Listen to what actually sells millions of records. I guarantee you it isn't what you're listening to. A show featuring nothing but these "interesting artists" wouldn't generate half the interest.

But even still I think they have made a couple nice decisions allowing the instruments this year. Already I have seen a couple performances more in tune with what I like than probably the past few seasons combined.

Kurosawa Fan
03-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Yeah, you keep implying that I expect some sort of integrity from this show. I don't. It's just a silly diversion for a couple nights a week.

Well, fair enough, but it seems to me that you support the lack of integrity by making the decision to dedicate yourself to every episode every week. And this is coming from the guy who wouldn't vote a DH into the Hall because he doesn't agree with the position. :P

Spinal
03-19-2008, 04:22 PM
I think the show is as much about how someone crafts a song as it is about their singing voice. The arrangement and presentation matter as much as the straight up vocal skill.

Spinal
03-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Well, fair enough, but it seems to me that you support the lack of integrity by making the decision to dedicate yourself to every episode every week. And this is coming from the guy who wouldn't vote a DH into the Hall because he doesn't agree with the position. :P

I don't own a Nielsen box. I can watch whatever the hell I want. :)

How about this? I won't vote for Taylor Hicks to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Kurosawa Fan
03-19-2008, 04:40 PM
I don't own a Nielsen box. I can watch whatever the hell I want. :)

How about this? I won't vote for Taylor Hicks to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

:lol:

How about you don't root for American League teams, and you stop watching American Idol? Deal?

Benny Profane
03-19-2008, 04:44 PM
I think the show is as much about how someone crafts a song as it is about their singing voice. The arrangement and presentation matter as much as the straight up vocal skill.

I've always wondered about who is behind the arrangement when it diverts from the original. Most of the contestants are pure musical amateurs in the sense that they probably don't know how to arrange a song, let alone read sheet music. I just don't see them being the sole driving force behind how the song ends up being played. I'm sure they are receiving a ton of guidance in that department, to the point where the "artist"'s contribution is significantly smaller than whoever is helping them

A guy like David Cook, on the other hand, I can see it being the other way.

Wryan
03-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Make em write all their own songs each week! I'd watch it then.

Pure Comedy!

Ashley
03-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Is it me or does it seem really obvious that Simon just doesn't want to be there this year?

Last night sucked, like, a lot.

Raiders
03-20-2008, 05:07 AM
There were a couple that needed to go before Amanda, but I was getting pretty tired of her. I won't really miss her.

And Carly in the bottom three is just absurd.

Spinal
03-20-2008, 05:08 AM
Not terribly shocked by the elimination, but I really liked how unfazed Amanda was every step of the way by the whole process. They do that whole dramatic tension thing and it didn't even look like her pulse quickened.

Spinal
03-20-2008, 05:11 AM
And Carly in the bottom three is just absurd.

Yeah, moments like that really put the whole thing in perspective and remind me how silly it all is. Not that I really need reminding.

number8
03-21-2008, 11:04 PM
I've come to terms with the fact that American Idol doesn't have an endgame. It's pretty useless to criticize their "plants" and their popularity contest and their narrow scope on musical talents. None of them matter.

It's not a search for undiscovered talents. It's not a democracy to see who will be the next big star. It's not even a way for record labels to see what people want. It doesn't even have anything to do with music, at all. It's basically a weekly concert that's held just to get ratings. Nobody cares about the winner and the subsequent record sales they make. Not Simon Fuller, not any of the judges, not the producers of the show. The only thing that matters is that you lot tune in every week to see their goddamn Ford commercials.

chrisnu
03-26-2008, 05:01 AM
David Cook! :cool: Michael was the best he's been in a while. Carly seemed like she was trying too hard. Simon was right about Brooke; she should've keep it simple. Syesha, please learn how to sing with genuine emotion, like Brooke can.

Absolutely hated David A.'s performance tonight. Mickey Mouse Club. I really dislike Kristy already, and trying to pull a sly one with "God Bless the USA"... :frustrated: I don't understand why the judges are waiting for a breakout vocal performance from Jason, when he doesn't have the pipes. He knows his limits. I can barely remember Ramiele and Chikezkie tonight.

Spinal
03-26-2008, 05:15 AM
Quick thoughts:

Ramiele -- She hasn't made an impact for quite some time now. This performance was a mess

Jason -- Forgettable song. Singing early in the show. Showing the same kind of performance we've seen a couple times. Admitting he was sloppy and could have tried harder. He's definitely in trouble.

Syesha -- I really didn't pay too close attention during her song. Not my kind of music at all.

Chikezie -- Bah, I like him better when he is slightly goofy.

Brooke -- Brooke is trapped in the American Idol judge's paradox. Straightforward performance of "Let it Be"? Great! Straightforward performance of "Every Breath You Take"? You didn't do enough with it! It was kind of cool, I guess. I can take or leave her.

Michael -- Maybe the best performance of the night for me. I thought he sounded really solid on the high stuff.

Carly -- Not one of her best. I agree that the ending could have been better and that she could stand to loosen up a bit. But, I still think she has the biggest upside. When it clicks for her, none of the others match her in my opinion.

David A. -- I thought it sounded like a song you would expect to hear at a Christian rock concert. Simon nailed it with the "theme park" smack. Are people finally figuring out that this kid has no 'flava'?

Kristy -- Smart move that will certainly buy her another week, but I can't believe that Simon didn't call her out for obvious pandering. Guess he didn't want to deal with the hate mail. She sounded all right I guess, but come on. Soooo Branson, Missouri.

David C. -- Smart move crediting the person that he was lifting the arrangement from. That seemed to have gone over the judges' heads though. Very good performance. He's got pipes.

Benny Profane
03-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Well, it was a helluva lot better than last week, that's fo' sho'.

Either Chikezie, Ramiele, or Kristy goes home tonite.

David Cook continues to be the main draw for me every week. And Syesha, cause she's very easy on the eyes.

Raiders
03-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Brooke -- Brooke is trapped in the American Idol judge's paradox. Straightforward performance of "Let it Be"? Great! Straightforward performance of "Every Breath You Take"? You didn't do enough with it! It was kind of cool, I guess. I can take or leave her.

Actually, they were consistent in her case. They said she did "too much" with the song and should have kept it like "Let it Be."

She's still my favorite. I was glad to see Michael do well. That is a tougher song to sing than it looks. I remember a couple other contestants in years past flubbing that.

Spinal
03-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Actually, they were consistent in her case. They said she did "too much" with the song and should have kept it like "Let it Be."

They said she shouldn't have brought the band in, but Randy said that he kept waiting for something more to happen. I don't remember his exact phrasing.

Ashley
03-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Damn, Kristy Lee Cook is an evil genius.

Raiders
03-26-2008, 08:22 PM
I missed Kristy's performance. What was so smart and genius about it?

Spinal
03-26-2008, 08:39 PM
I missed Kristy's performance. What was so smart and genius about it?

She sang Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" in front of a large projection of an American flag. It seems to have rendered her bulletproof, even from Simon.

Spinal
04-02-2008, 04:16 AM
Pretty solid night, I thought. Seems to me that Ramiele was the clear turkey.

chrisnu
04-02-2008, 06:39 AM
Pretty solid night, I thought. Seems to me that Ramiele was the clear turkey.
I agree. I think Kristy and Syesha are going to round out the bottom three this week.

Michael Johns! Blazing molten hot! [/Randy]

Spinal
04-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Michael Johns! Blazing molten hot! [/Randy]

Yeah, it got to the end and I was like, what the hell is he going to sing? But that was pretty sweet.

Simon-Seacrest tiffs are so passe, but I did enjoy it when he said, "What is your problem tonight?"

Ashley
04-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Simon-Seacrest tiffs are so passe, but I did enjoy it when he said, "What is your problem tonight?"I agree, even though it was obvious what it was. I nearly laughed out loud when Simon said he loves country music. I think anyone who's ever watched a country night episode of AI can call bullshit on that.

I also thought Michael was awesome last night, he won the night for me. It's nice to see him finally hitting his stride. Next would probably be Carly, David Cook, and Jason.

Syesha made the most predictable song choice in the history of American Idol. Having said that, I actually thought the first half was quite nice, until she felt the need to bust into the Whitney version.

Hugh_Grant
04-03-2008, 02:52 AM
Bye bye Ramiele. Hopefully, Kristy will be gone next week.

I don't like any of the girls this season. The guys, on the other hand, are awesome, save that Archuleta kid. He bothers me.

Spinal
04-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Ramiele was the right choice. Even before Kristy Lee. She just hadn't grown in several weeks.

My best guess at the way this will end up ...

8. Kristy Lee
7. Jason
6. Syesha
5. Michael
4. Carly
3. David C.
2. Brooke
1. David A.

I hope I'm wrong about the winner. I would rather see a finale with #3 and #4.

Raiders
04-03-2008, 04:41 PM
I think David A. will grow a little tiresome (well, I think he's already gotten there, but I'm probably ahead of the curve), and he doesn't seem adorable or sexy enough to really capture teenage girls all over the country.

Personally, I'd like to see a David Cook and Michael showdown. For me, Carly is slightly regressing, even if she's still pretty good, while Michael is starting to get much stronger.

Of course, the only one of these I could see making an album I might listen to is David C. I like Jason's style, but over an entire album it would get a little dreary, kind of like he is getting after a few weeks on the show.

Spinal
04-03-2008, 05:01 PM
David C. and Michael are too similar to make it all the way to the final two. Although I agree that would be a compelling match. Eventually, there will not be enough rocker dude support to sustain them both and I think David C. comes out on top. I would love to see David A. eliminated at some point, but I just can't envision the scenario in which it happens, barring another disastrous screw-up.

Plus, he's going to totally own Donny Osmond night.

OK, so there is no Donny Osmond night. But there is Andrew Lloyd Webber night. I'm thinking he goes with "Close Every Door" from Joseph, a song performed on CD by Donny Osmond.

Ashley
04-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Ramiele was the right choice. Even before Kristy Lee. She just hadn't grown in several weeks.

8. Kristy Lee
7. Jason
6. Syesha
5. Michael
4. Carly
3. David C.
2. Brooke
1. David A.

I hope I'm wrong about the winner. I would rather see a finale with #3 and #4.I have to say, I'll be quite surprised if David Cook doesn't make the final. I know things can change on the show, but he really seems to have all the momentum at this point, whereas Brooke seems to have lost some (though I'm sure her bottom 3 placing will rally her fanbase for next week at least). If I was to predict the finale right now, I'd probably guess it'll be a battle of the Davids. I do agree that David C. and Michael are too similar to both make it that far though, although Michael's really stepped it up the last couple of weeks, and may have bought himself a little extra time.

I think David A. will grow a little tiresome (well, I think he's already gotten there, but I'm probably ahead of the curve), and he doesn't seem adorable or sexy enough to really capture teenage girls all over the country.I'm pretty sure he already has. Every time they so much as say his name all the tweens in the audience start squealing, and it seems to be quite a bit louder than for any other contestant.

Spinal
04-03-2008, 07:27 PM
I have to say, I'll be quite surprised if David Cook doesn't make the final. I know things can change on the show, but he really seems to have all the momentum at this point, whereas Brooke seems to have lost some (though I'm sure her bottom 3 placing will rally her fanbase for next week at least). If I was to predict the finale right now, I'd probably guess it'll be a battle of the Davids. I do agree that David C. and Michael are too similar to both make it that far though, although Michael's really stepped it up the last couple of weeks, and may have bought himself a little extra time.

I think Brooke being in the bottom three was solely because of her placement in the order of performance. I don't really see it as pointing towards a trend. I think David C. is probably the only one who could oust evil David in a head-to-head, but I don't know. I just feel like it will be a male-female pairing somehow. Just a hunch.

Kurosawa Fan
04-05-2008, 04:37 PM
So David Cook was hospitalized for stress-related heart palpitations. How does this affect his chances of winning? Isn't he the favorite around here?

Spinal
04-05-2008, 04:52 PM
So David Cook was hospitalized for stress-related heart palpitations. How does this affect his chances of winning? Isn't he the favorite around here?

Last Wednesday, he was asked about it by Seacrest and he said that the story was blown out of proportion. Whether or not that's true, I suppose it could garner him some sympathy votes for a little while. Unless it happens again though, I can't see it being much of a factor in about a month or so when it gets down to the nitty gritty.

Benny Profane
04-09-2008, 02:06 AM
David Cooke looked like he was trying to lose. Like he wanted off the show.

Hugh_Grant
04-09-2008, 02:13 AM
David Cook looked like he was trying to lose. Like he wanted off the show.

Yeah, what the **** was that? Oh, Cookie. :(

(BTW, he looks like my husband.)

Ashley
04-09-2008, 02:14 AM
David Cooke looked like he was trying to lose. Like he wanted off the show.Yeah, it was easily his worst performance of the season, but he's not going anywhere.

Actually, other than Jason, I didn't particularly like anyone tonight.

Syesha made maybe the single stupidest song choice ever on the show this week. I love how how she got all indignant when they started comparing her to Fantasia. What the hell did she expect? They watched her perform that song on that stage right after she won the show.

Was it me or were the backup singers way too loud during a couple of the performances? They totally drowned out David C. and Carly at times.

Spinal
04-09-2008, 03:45 AM
Ugh, I hope Carly can survive this week. That performance was not great. I think it will be either her or Syesha.

Spinal
04-09-2008, 05:02 AM
I didn't really care for any of the performances tonight.

Michael - This was OK, but I kind of agree that the song didn't suit him.

Syesha - Lame song. Boring performance.

Jason - Didn't like this version of the song. Didn't see anything new from him.

Kristy Lee - I actually thought this was her best performance. I think she is the winner of the night, although she is totally not my type.

David C. - The song was dreadful enough before he topped it off with his sub-Bono antics.

Carly - Not sure what happened here. Perhaps her voice is tiring because this just didn't work. It should have.

David A. - Didn't watch it.

Brooke - Her gloominess totally contrasted with the song's lyrics. It was like she was singing at a funeral or something.

Spinal
04-10-2008, 04:44 AM
Apparently, Robin Williams is lifting material from Yakov Smirnoff now.

chrisnu
04-10-2008, 05:37 AM
The whole thing was worth watching just for Annie Lennox. Holy smoke. They should make that available on iTunes.

number8
04-10-2008, 07:32 AM
So I caught the last 10 minutes cuz I was waiting for the 10 o'clock news.

Shout to the Lord!

And Ben Stiller.

chrisnu
04-10-2008, 07:56 AM
So I caught the last 10 minutes cuz I was waiting for the 10 o'clock news.

Shout to the Lord!

And Ben Stiller.
I think I missed this, because I had it taped.

WTF?!?

Spinal
04-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Been lotsa Jesus on Idol the last couple weeks. I missed the number too. I wasn't watching that late. Annie Lennox was good. Fergie with Heart was kinda cool. Sarah Silverman was funny and ... there was a lot of lame. Miley Cyrus twice plus a tired comedy bit with Billy Crystal? Shoot me now!

Ashley
04-11-2008, 01:08 AM
Wow, major dick move at the end by Seacrest.

Michael didn't deserve to go yet, but I guess the split fanbase must have caught up to him.

Spinal
04-11-2008, 01:24 AM
Show hasn't aired here yet (I don't care about spoilers), but that is very surprising. Guess it just goes to show that placement in the show lineup can be a killer.

Henry Gale
04-11-2008, 01:51 AM
Wow, major dick move at the end by Seacrest.

Michael didn't deserve to go yet, but I guess the split fanbase must have caught up to him.

To me, Michael was pretty much the strongest singer of the bunch. So when I caught only the last two minutes and saw him singing I was shocked.

What was the dick move you speak of?

Ashley
04-11-2008, 01:59 AM
To me, Michael was pretty much the strongest singer of the bunch. So when I caught only the last two minutes and saw him singing I was shocked.

What was the dick move you speak of?After they had already announced Michael as the lowest vote getter Ryan reminded everyone that last year they didn't eliminate anyone on Idol Gives Back week, paused, and then said that this year Michael was going home. In fairness, it probably wasn't his idea to add that bit of false hope, but whoever came up with it is an asshole.

Spinal
04-11-2008, 04:24 AM
Yeah, that was tacky. The result was unjust based on performance and they had to compound it by stringing Michael along. But then, the show has never been a model of tact and discretion. A shame to see Michael go. If he had performed in the second half of the evening, he probably wouldn't have even been in the bottom 3.

Spinal
04-11-2008, 04:40 AM
Oh, and having them all sing that Christian song at the beginning of the show was kinda creeping me out.

Spinal
04-11-2008, 06:26 PM
An excellent column (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-giltz/emamerican-idolem-jesus-c_b_96176.html) on the decision to have "Shout to the Lord" be used as a group number and why it is objectionable.

Ashley
04-16-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm guessing from the lack of comments that everyone else found last night as boring as I did?

Although, I'm going to go ahead and call this right now: Kristy Lee Cook, who should have been out five weeks ago, is going to be the last woman standing this season.

Ashley
04-17-2008, 02:09 AM
Although, I'm going to go ahead and call this right now: Kristy Lee Cook, who should have been out five weeks ago, is going to be the last woman standing this season.
Awesome! Next up: The Anaheim Mighty Ducks are going to win the Stanley Cup this year.

Spinal
04-17-2008, 02:27 AM
Nice. Glad to see her go rather than Carly or Brooke.

Spinal
04-17-2008, 06:02 AM
Can we retire the whole "join the group that you think is the bottom 3" shtick next year? So freaking lame.

number8
04-17-2008, 06:32 AM
Can we retire the whole "join the group that you think is the bottom 3" shtick next year? So freaking lame.

And have a reality show without inter-contestant conflict? Weirdo.

Ashley
04-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Can we retire the whole "join the group that you think is the bottom 3" shtick next year? So freaking lame.Especially since everyone just does the sit down in the middle thing now anyway. It's lame and pointless. I did feel a little bad for Kristy and Brooke though. They had to think they were safe after being put in the group with David Cook. I can only imagine the "Oh Shit" that must have gone through their minds when he had to switch with Syesha.

Although it did lead to one cute moment where Carly realized she couldn't sit down because of her skirt, while the guys remained oblivious.

Spinal
04-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Although it did lead to one cute moment where Carly realized she couldn't sit down because of her skirt, while the guys remained oblivious.

I also liked Carly giving Ryan the Elaine Bennis "Get out!" move after he told her she was safe.

Benny Profane
04-17-2008, 04:25 PM
I can't stomach the weekly voting episodes. I just DVR it and fast-forward to the very end to see who gets booted. The fact that they make the show an hour long is just ridiculous.

I DVR the other episodes as well, but if I forget, I can handle watching it live, even though the commercial breaks are like 8 minutes long and the contestants only get 90 seconds to sing.

But I cannot handle the voting episodes at all. No.

Spinal
04-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Just read that Syesha is singing a song from Starlight Express. She must want to go home.

Ashley
04-23-2008, 01:47 AM
Just read that Syesha is singing a song from Starlight Express. She must want to go home.I thought the same thing when I read that, but actually, that was my favourite performance of hers by a mile. She could still get killed for going first, but her, Carly, and David Cook were my top 3 of the night.

chrisnu
04-23-2008, 05:21 AM
DAVID COOK!!! :eek:

I never thought he could sing like that. Well done.

I agree that Carly and Syesha rounded out the top 3. I really hope Brooke doesn't go home yet.

Spinal
04-23-2008, 06:15 AM
Syesha -- Yes, my initial worries about her were unfounded. Turns out she's a little bit of a musical theatre geek. Who else pulls this obscure number out of one of Webber's worst musicals and knows that it will suit her perfectly. Definitely her best performance. Well done.

Jason -- A mess. Bad choice of song. He looked utterly lost. If he had known Webber's work a bit better, he probably could have sung something from Joseph and been fine. Highlight of this section was Webber using the word 'glamourpuss'.

Brooke -- Again, awful choice of song for her. She could have selected a folky song from Jesus Christ Superstar, but instead she decides to try and play Evita. At least she chose the one written for Madonna. Paula's long pause ... very tense. I was a bit annoyed by how the talk of her restart eventually turned into praise and applause for her decision to stop.

David A. -- You know, I didn't hate it. I thought the take on the song was actually pretty well-conceived. I would be more impressed if he didn't make it sound like every other song he sings. He bungled some words pretty bad and the judges didn't say anything about it. Big shocker.

Carly -- Webber saved her ass. Definitely the right choice of song and she looked and sounded great. She even managed to look like she was having fun doing it. "Come Together" is probably still her strongest performance, but this was a close second. She did change up a couple words though, but it wasn't too terribly noticeable.

David C. -- I am probably in the minority here, but I did not really dig this. I don't think that the song was a good fit for him and it was an odd sideways step from the artistic persona that he has crafted thus far on the show. He had some impressive vocal moments, but the whole first verse was touch-and-go for me. Even so, I'd still put him at #3 on the night.

Say what you will about Webber's music and influence on musical theatre, I thought he was an excellent coach. I was so glad to see someone who actually had practical advice to give. Imagine that.

Raiders
04-23-2008, 12:38 PM
David C. -- I am probably in the minority here, but I did not really dig this. I don't think that the song was a good fit for him and it was an odd sideways step from the artistic persona that he has crafted thus far on the show. He had some impressive vocal moments, but the whole first verse was touch-and-go for me. Even so, I'd still put him at #3 on the night.

I agree he seemed to sort of get rid of his personality with that song, but it doesn't change that I think he sang it magnificently.

I would rank last night:

David C.
Carly
Syesha
David A.
Brooke

Jason

Scar
04-23-2008, 04:48 PM
I did something last night I swore I would never do.

I voted.

Kurosawa Fan
04-23-2008, 06:03 PM
:eek:

Spinal
04-23-2008, 06:39 PM
On Andrew Lloyd Webber night no less. :)

Kurosawa Fan
04-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Does anyone else here vote?

Hugh_Grant
04-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Does anyone else here vote?
Yep. I've voted for David Cook for the last few weeks.

Benny Profane
04-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Yep. I've voted for David Cook for the last few weeks.

Can I get your ruling on his looks?

Scale of 1 to 10.

Ashley
04-23-2008, 08:04 PM
David C. -- I am probably in the minority here, but I did not really dig this. I don't think that the song was a good fit for him and it was an odd sideways step from the artistic persona that he has crafted thus far on the show. He had some impressive vocal moments, but the whole first verse was touch-and-go for me. Even so, I'd still put him at #3 on the night.Actually, I have to disagree here, as I've always thought one of the the fun aspects of the show is in seeing someone be forced outside of their "box", and still manage to nail it. Also, I thought it was a good idea for him to silence those who may have been thinking he had to rely on rearranging everything in order to pull it off.

Agreed on Andrew Lloyd Webber though, he might the most useful mentor they've had in terms of actually giving advice, and I do have to thank him for convincing Carly to switch songs.

Ashley
04-23-2008, 08:29 PM

Scale of 1 to 10.
I know you weren't asking me, but as another female I do feel qualified to answer, and honestly, ever since he got rid of that horrid combover (and the equally horrid fauxhawk), I think he's been pretty smokin'. If nothing else, he easily wins this year's Best Idol Makeover award, just for the vast improvement in the hair: he's gone from this (http://www.rickey.org/?p=6948) to this (http://www.americanidol.com/photos/?set=491&seq=2) to this (http://media.americanidol.com/photos/247/30369.jpg) and finally to this (http://media.americanidol.com/photos/249/30623.jpg).

Hugh_Grant
04-23-2008, 08:32 PM

Scale of 1 to 10.
Since I said earlier that he looks like my husband, I guess the correct answer to this question would be 10?

I do agree with Ashley about his makeover.

Benny Profane
04-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Good answer. Good answer.

Only reason I ask is because you have unique taste. I mean, Ernie Els?

Kurosawa Fan
04-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Good answer. Good answer.

Only reason I ask is because you have unique taste. I mean, Ernie Els?

:eek:

Spinal
04-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Actually, I have to disagree here, as I've always thought one of the the fun aspects of the show is in seeing someone be forced outside of their "box", and still manage to nail it. Also, I thought it was a good idea for him to silence those who may have been thinking he had to rely on rearranging everything in order to pull it off.

See, I don't really think he 'nailed it' either.

Silencio
04-24-2008, 02:09 AM
Carly shouldn't have gone home, nor should she or Syesha have been in the bottom two. Both had the best vocals of last night along with David C. The fact that both Jason and Brooke were safe only further proves that fanbase defeats quality of performance/vocals any day. This is why David Cook or Archuleta will win.

Ashley
04-24-2008, 02:22 AM
Well, at least she got to go out on a high note I suppose. Still totally wrong though.

I actually think Jason and Brooke sucking so much and being panned by the judges may have saved them, as it probably rallied their respective fanbases much more than if they had just been mediocre. Even though she was once my favourite, I really wouldn't have minded seeing Brooke go this week, just because I think she's getting closer and closer to having a nervous breakdown right in the middle of the stage.

At this point I'll be pretty shocked if we don't have the show's first all-guy final three.

Spinal
04-24-2008, 02:29 AM
Lame. So apparently the best strategy is to fuck up royally and then gain sympathy from the judges and voters.

Silencio
04-24-2008, 02:31 AM
Lame. So apparently the best strategy is to fuck up royally and then gain sympathy from the judges and voters.Pretty much. I'm sure it's the only reason Brooke survived tonight. Being lauded as brave by the judges for stopping and starting over her song and getting pity votes for that same reason.

Raiders
04-24-2008, 04:04 AM
I don't really see the problem with her stopping and starting over. And I think she still did a heck of a lot better than Jason, who I don't see how managed to stay out of the bottom two. That "vote for the worst" site must really be bustling.

Spinal
04-24-2008, 04:07 AM
I don't really see the problem with her stopping and starting over.

They should encourage it, I say!

Raiders
04-24-2008, 04:09 AM
They should encourage it, I say!

:|

Or just treat it as a mistake that doesn't really make or break the rest of it. I'm more concerned with how she sang the song than her flub a few seconds in. Granted, she wasn't anything special, but she also wasn't the very worst.

Spinal
04-24-2008, 04:11 AM
:|

Or just treat it as a mistake that doesn't really make or break the rest of it. I'm more concerned with how she sang the song than her flub a few seconds in. Granted, she wasn't anything special, but she also wasn't the very worst.

She wasn't the very worst, but she was much worse than the two who were in danger tonight.

Benny Profane
04-24-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't really see the problem with her stopping and starting over. And I think she still did a heck of a lot better than Jason, who I don't see how managed to stay out of the bottom two. That "vote for the worst" site must really be bustling.

http://cdn.votefortheworst.com/files/u3/brookewhitebanner.jpg

Spinal
04-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Vote for the Worst needs to give up when the remaining contestants are all good performers.

Raiders
04-24-2008, 04:30 PM
The idea that Brooke is worse than Jason makes my head hurt.

Benny Profane
04-24-2008, 04:59 PM
It's not about better or worse. It's about who the producers would least like to see win based on marketability and other factors.

Spinal
04-24-2008, 05:41 PM
How is Brooke not marketable?

rocus
04-24-2008, 05:42 PM
I can't believe people are so upset by the show that they would actually take the time to call in and vote for the worst. Don't they understand that they are just contributing to what they consider a problem? They are part of the reason Ryan Seacrest can talk about how many millions of calls they received.

To me, if I don't like a show I just don't watch. I'm not going to start a website and take the time to maintain it just to try and spite a tv show.

Benny Profane
04-24-2008, 05:46 PM
How is Brooke not marketable?

Don't look at me. Ask the clowns at that website. I was just trying to explain their rationale.

Votefortheworst.com was started in 2004 to support voting for the entertaining contestants who the producers would hate to see win on American Idol. We vote en masse for the contestant that we feel provides the most entertaining performances that go against what the producers want in a winner and that annoy the viewing public. We don't necessarily vote for the worst technical singer; we take into account many factors like the contestant's personality, how well they dance and move around the stage, if they talk back to the judges or have an attitude, and how likely they are to annoy everyone when they stick around. So we don't just vote for the worst singer, we vote for the most entertaining contestant using our own criteria. Why do we do it? And are we ruining American Idol and crushing dreams? Click "read more" find out the answers to these questions and more.

Benny Profane
04-24-2008, 05:50 PM
For the record I do not endorse this idea nor do I ever vote, for the best or worst. I stumbled upon the site and found it amusing in it's idiotic subversiveness. I'm most entertained by the emails they receive that they post on the site. But I haven't looked at the site til Raiders reminded me of its existence.

Hugh_Grant
04-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Like I said upthread, I don't really this season's crop of girls, but Carly was my favorite, and I really can't believe she's gone before Syesha and Brooke.

How was Jason not in the bottom two last night? Is there a big stoner voting contingent?

soitgoes...
04-24-2008, 09:49 PM
How was Jason not in the bottom two last night? Is there a big stoner voting contingent?
No, we always forget to vote.

I think it has more to do that everytime his name is mentioned on the show, the screeching sound of hundreds of pre-teen girls is heard. Multiply this by the total amount of pre-teen girls that watch this show nationwide, and I think you have a good reason why he's still around.

chrisnu
04-25-2008, 12:28 AM
It's just ridiculous that Jason is still around and Carly is not. This would've been like Melinda Doolittle being booted before Chris Richardson last year. Blech.

Ashley
04-30-2008, 02:37 AM
Oh Paula. I was laughing and cringing at the same time.

Spinal
04-30-2008, 05:15 AM
Maybe this was obvious, but it just occurred to me that nobody who has played an instrument during their performance on the show this season has been eliminated yet. David, David, Brooke, Jason. I don't recall anyone else using an instrument during their performance. It seems that it is an advantage.

Spinal
04-30-2008, 05:22 AM
Oh, and I watched the performances on-line without hearing the judges' comments. A rather nice way to do it I found. Did anyone mention that if you change the lyric to "Arizona" that it doesn't make a damn bit of sense to say you're stuck between two shores?

SpaceOddity
04-30-2008, 05:42 AM
American Idol's kinda reminiscent of Henry James.
American innocence V European experience.

*yays for Simon Cowell*

I voted in the Brit version for Leona Lewis.
I've since sworn eternal vengence on democracy.

*plots*

chrisnu
04-30-2008, 06:25 AM
Did anyone mention that if you change the lyric to "Arizona" that it doesn't make a damn bit of sense to say you're stuck between two shores?
No one mentioned it, but I immediately thought the same thing. Wait a minute... :)

Jason was just terrible in his second performance. I cannot stand Vegas lounge talk-singing. David Cook and Syesha gave the only performances I thought were even enjoyable tonight. Brooke is better when she shies away from goofy, exuberant songs.

Ashley
04-30-2008, 03:38 PM
I have to say, last night was kind of the trainwreck I was expecting during the Mariah Carey and Andrew Lloyd Webber shows. The only performances I really liked were David Cook and Brooke's second songs (Brooke's first one really sucked though). Syesha was solid through the first parts of her two, but I thought she sounded kind of strained when she started in on the glory notes. It didn't help that the entire show was a frantic mess. They really should have added a half hour this week.

Why on earth would someone think it's a good idea to add vocal runs to Sweet Caroline? He sucked every ounce of fun out of that song.

And I suppose this should be taken with a grain of salt, but this week's DialIdol (http://dialidol.com/asp/predictions/Predictions.asp?week=5&sort=TD&type=score&season=7) results are rather interesting.

Spinal
04-30-2008, 04:53 PM
It really is amazing for a show that gets such huge ratings and that can be so addicting that the actual production of the show is so utterly incompetent, bordering on painful sometimes. Hopefully, the Paula idiocy leads them to shake up the judges a bit. (I won't hold my breath.)

Ashley
05-01-2008, 03:17 AM
Ahh Brooke, she were once my favourite in the whole competition, but she just lost her magic as the season wore on. Still, we'll always have "Let It Be" (I'm actually listening to the studio version on YouTube right now:)).

Spinal
05-01-2008, 03:35 AM
How the hell is Syesha still around? And Castro? Jeez.

Ashley
05-07-2008, 04:11 AM
Umm, did Syesha just compare being on American Idol to the Civil Rights Movement?

chrisnu
05-07-2008, 05:48 AM
I don't think that Top 4 Night could've been much worse. Boring Archuleta gave the best performances, for crying out loud.

America, please get Jason off the show right now. Out of all the songs to choose from, in a singing competition, he picks Bob Marley and Bob Dylan. And he unrecognizably mangled them both! :frustrated:

Syesha strikes me as somewhere between emotionally dishonest and outright mendacious. I really don't like her.

Hugh_Grant
05-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Umm, did Syesha just compare being on American Idol to the Civil Rights Movement?

Yeah, what the heck was that analogy all about? And her tears at the end of the second song? She'll probably make it to the top three. Agreed, chrisnu: I don't like her either.

Earlier in the season, I'll admit to being charmed by Jason. Whatever that charm was, it's long worn off. Also, based on last night's performance, I don't think he cares if he stays or goes.

One more thing: I really, really don't get the judges' overpraising of Archie.

Scar
05-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Earlier in the season, I'll admit to being charmed by Jason. Whatever that charm was, it's long worn off. Also, based on last night's performance, I don't think he cares if he stays or goes.

You sound like Jess.

While I, on the other hand, have been saying 'Get a haircut, hippie' since the beginning.

Ashley
05-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Maybe it's because I still have a bit of a soft spot for Jason (despite fully acknowledging that he hasn't been at all good since Mariah Carey week), but I felt kind of uncomfortable watching him get ripped apart last night. I can't remember the last time the judges got that downright vicious with a contestant on the show, and I think it'll only get uglier if he somehow manages to make it through tonight. Randy in particular just really seems to hate him, and I don't think it really matters for him anymore what he sings or how he sings it. That being said, he really should go home tonight, he's flat out sucked for the last three weeks, and I think he just doesn't want to be there anymore.

Honestly though, this whole season has made me get increasingly fed up with Randy Jackson. Does he really not realize that the over the top drooling over Archuleta hurts the kid more than it helps him? I think that's at least half the reason so many people have gone from ambivalence to flat out hatred for him. I mean, say what you want about Simon, but he's come right out in interviews and said that he thinks David Cook is the most talented and he wants him to win, yet he's still able to call him out on a sucky performance. On the other hand, Archie could come out and (to borrow from another forum) do armpit farts onstage for two minutes, and Randy would fall all over himself with praise.

Raiders
05-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Honestly though, this whole season has made me get increasingly fed up with Randy Jackson. Does he really not realize that the over the top drooling over Archuleta hurts the kid more than it helps him? I think that's at least half the reason so many people have gone from ambivalence to flat out hatred for him. I mean, say what you want about Simon, but he's come right out in interviews and said that he thinks David Cook is the most talented and he wants him to win, yet he's still able to call him out on a sucky performance. On the other hand, Archie could come out and (to borrow from another forum) do armpit farts onstage for two minutes, and Randy would fall all over himself with praise.

Well, I think more to the point is that Archuleta is exactly the kind of cute, teenage girl-friendly, vanilla, polished-yet-uninspired vocalist that is perfect for the masses.

Ashley
05-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Oh, and does anyone else think Seacrest threw out the Daughtry mention at the end for the sole purpose of riling up David Cook's fanbase?

Benny Profane
05-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Syesha looked amazing last night.

Hugh_Grant
05-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Oh, and does anyone else think Seacrest threw out the Daughtry mention at the end for the sole purpose of riling up David Cook's fanbase?
It worked. I voted a few extra times thinking about the Daughtry-boot. Then again, Daughtry and his fourth place finish are laughing all the way to the bank.

On the other hand, Archie could come out and (to borrow from another forum) do armpit farts onstage for two minutes, and Randy would fall all over himself with praise.
Hee hee.

Ashley
05-08-2008, 02:12 AM
I bet Michael Johns saw this week's Ford video and was like: "Phew! Totally dodged a bullet on that one."

I don't think I've ever seen a contestant look so giddy about going home.

So the top three were within a million votes of each other huh? I have to admit, I'm shocked that Syesha was so close. At this point though, I'd totally prefer to see her in the finale over Archie.

Spinal
05-14-2008, 12:55 AM

8. Kristy Lee
7. Jason
6. Syesha
5. Michael
4. Carly
3. David C.
2. Brooke
1. David A.

Nailed it. :|

Raiders
05-14-2008, 01:18 AM
Nailed it. :|

I think it'll be a David/David showdown, with the wrong one likely winning.

Hugh_Grant
05-14-2008, 02:03 AM
Did I hear Simon right? Did he say "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" is one of the best songs ever? What!?!?

Archie's second song was atrocious.

Ashley
05-14-2008, 02:12 AM
Archie's second song was atrocious.I burst out laughing at the first "my boo", and couldn't really pay attention after that.

My MVP of the night, and I can't believe I'm saying this, goes to Paula, for attempting to break up Randy and Simon's pissing contest and bring the focus back to David Cook after the first song. She actually sounded surprising lucid throughout the night, I felt like I was in bizarro world.

I think it was kind of obvious that it didn't matter what Syesha did tonight, as they've been gearing up for a David vs. David final two showdown for weeks (months?) now and there's no way they're letting her break that up.

chrisnu
05-14-2008, 05:14 AM
I absolutely hate that Aerosmith song. Cook did a good enough job with it, though.

"Fever" is one of the worst choices Syesha could have made. You're trying to show that you can be a pop star, not in Vegas. Ever since Andrew Lloyd Webber week, she's been giving increasingly vampish performances, and I don't think that's to her benefit in the competition. She likes role-playing, and the judges wanted to see her own musical identity.

I've really had enough of Achuleta. He keeps singing the same song repeatedly, and Randy does nothing but heap praises. It's like they're trying to typecast him as that guy from the Mickey Mouse Club.

Spinal
05-14-2008, 05:25 AM
Paula should have given Archuleta "Cum on Feel the Noize".

Raiders
05-14-2008, 06:56 PM
The Aerosmith song ain't great, but Cook gave it a nice edge during the chorus.

However, what got me was after his performance of it, the camera cut to the judges (Paula was still giving her standing o') and Simon and Randy looked at each other in what seemed an acknowledgment that Cook had owned the song and the night. Then, Randy spoke and said "it was just alright for me." At that moment, if I hadn't been convinced before, I fully believe the judges select favorites and criticize others where they may not criticize their favorite. I put almost no stock in what they say and I don't expect them to be above bias, but I guess my better nature kept wanting to assume they don't manipulate in such a way. But, oh well.

Ashley
05-15-2008, 02:45 AM
The Aerosmith song ain't great, but Cook gave it a nice edge during the chorus.

However, what got me was after his performance of it, the camera cut to the judges (Paula was still giving her standing o') and Simon and Randy looked at each other in what seemed an acknowledgment that Cook had owned the song and the night. Then, Randy spoke and said "it was just alright for me." At that moment, if I hadn't been convinced before, I fully believe the judges select favorites and criticize others where they may not criticize their favorite. I put almost no stock in what they say and I don't expect them to be above bias, but I guess my better nature kept wanting to assume they don't manipulate in such a way. But, oh well.I think it's been obvious for awhile now that Randy is totally Team Archuleta, while Simon is clearly Team Cook (he's actually come right out and said in several interviews that Cook is his favourite and he wants him to win). Maybe I'm biased because his guy is my guy too, but I do think Simon has been able to remain slightly more objective about it. However, I suspect it will only get worse next week, with them continuing to make it all about them and their little contest, and be even more annoying than usual.

Anyways, looks like the last of the fodder is out of the way and we have the David-squared finale it seems like the entire season's been building toward. Syesha had a great run (and made it a hell of a lot further than I expected her too), but in the end I don't think anyone could have doubted she'd end up the Kim Locke/Vonzell of the season, with no chance up against the inevitable final two.

Hugh_Grant
05-15-2008, 04:25 AM
Did anyone catch the look on Simon's face during Fantasia's performance? Freaking hilarious.

Oh, yeah, Cookie FTW!!!!

Spinal
05-15-2008, 06:12 AM
Syesha should have been gone about two months ago.

chrisnu
05-15-2008, 06:58 AM
Did anyone catch the look on Simon's face during Fantasia's performance? Freaking hilarious.
Absolutely. What the hell was that?

Syesha should have been gone about two months ago.
I agree. It's still ridiculous that Carly and Michael were voted off so early.

Raiders
05-21-2008, 12:58 AM
I don't know why I get duped into caring about this show. I always expect to distance myself and accept its useless and purely "entertainment" place on TV, but I always wind up caring and being so irritated by the mediocrity they praise. Each and every time, David Cook outshone Archie, but each and every time, the opinions people listen to, the idiotic judges, voiced otherwise.

It's just too bad. It almost felt like Simon Fuller didn't want a rocker for the album, because I honestly couldn't take anything the judges said at face value.

Spinal
05-21-2008, 01:06 AM
I'm not even going to watch tonight. I'll watch tomorrow when they bring back all the other contestants to sing with the celebrity performers.

Ashley
05-21-2008, 02:11 AM
Wow. Coming into tonight I definitely would have called David Cook to win, but between Simon throwing him under the bus, and Archie getting to go last (I believe every winner except Ruben has gone last on Final 2 night), I think I might have to change my prediction.

I seriously can't figure out what was up with Simon tonight. He's spent the last two months telling every reporter who'll listen that he thinks David Cook is this season's most talented contestant and he wants him to win, and then spent tonight pimping Archie to the heavens. Maybe he really did think he was that much better, but it just really seemed weird to me.

chrisnu
05-21-2008, 04:42 AM
He's pimping Archie because he can be groomed into their Golden Boy. I think David Cook proved tonight that he wasn't going to be shoehorned into a mold. He did so by essentially conceding with his last song choice, but I applaud it.

Benny Profane
05-21-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't know why I get duped into caring about this show. I always expect to distance myself and accept its useless and purely "entertainment" place on TV, but I always wind up caring and being so irritated by the mediocrity they praise. Each and every time, David Cook outshone Archie, but each and every time, the opinions people listen to, the idiotic judges, voiced otherwise.

It's just too bad. It almost felt like Simon Fuller didn't want a rocker for the album, because I honestly couldn't take anything the judges said at face value.

I will be fair and say Archie sang better in the first round, though I agree with everything else you said, to the point of not wanting to watch the show ever again. Obviously, the fix is on.

Archie's version of "Imagine" is a full-on embarrassment.

Benny Profane
05-22-2008, 02:02 AM
Wow.

Ashley
05-22-2008, 02:49 AM
:pritch:

Damn, twelve million votes? I'm kind of shocked that it wasn't even close.

soitgoes...
05-22-2008, 04:30 AM
to the point of not wanting to watch the show ever again.

Wow.
:lol: