PDA

View Full Version : Focus (Glenn Ficarra, John Requa)

TGM
03-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Focus

Directors: Glenn Ficarra, John Requa

imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2381941/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1)

http://www.fullmovie2k.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Focus-2015.jpg

Dukefrukem
06-13-2015, 01:32 PM
Two nays? I thought this was fairly entertaining... for a completely outrageous con movie. Does make me wonder about all that lost luggage though.

DavidSeven
06-19-2015, 11:27 PM
I thought there was very little that was redeemable about this. Will Smith plays the most uninteresting master thief to ever live. Here, he's supposedly playing a con-man who can assemble a vast network of highly sophisticated criminals, but I don't think I've ever seen Smith be less charming than he was in this movie. The marketing suggested that Margot Robbie's character might have some agency in this story, but she is completely at the mercy of every man around her. The film's ending is also infuriatingly preposterous.

Irish
06-20-2015, 02:25 AM
It's a bad movie, mostly for the reasons you note.

One interesting bit: This is the first time I've seen a black man kiss a white woman on screen in a mainstream American movie. The first time I've seen an interracial romance where the story wasn't about interracial romance. Such a thing would have been impossible 5 or 10 years ago (cf: the ridiciculous and complicated racial dynamics of Hitch). The fact that this went unmentioned in the movie press made it all the more remarkable.

TGM
06-20-2015, 02:41 AM
It's a bad movie, mostly for the reasons you note.

One interesting bit: This is the first time I've seen a black man kiss a white woman on screen in a mainstream American movie. The first time I've seen an interracial romance where the story wasn't about interracial romance. Such a thing would have been impossible 5 or 10 years ago (cf: the ridiciculous and complicated racial dynamics of Hitch). The fact that this went unmentioned in the movie press made it all the more remarkable.

Didn't Will Smith kiss a white woman and technically have an interracial romance that wasn't about interracial romance in Hancock?

Dukefrukem
06-20-2015, 02:47 AM
Didn't Will Smith kiss a white woman and technically have an interracial romance that wasn't about interracial romance in Hancock?

They were past lovers if I remember correctly.

Irish
06-20-2015, 03:00 AM

Good catch. I can't remember if he kissed her on screen. Did he kiss her?

Focus has interracial sex scenes (even if they are demure in this day and age).

TGM
06-20-2015, 03:26 AM
Good catch. I can't remember if he kissed her on screen. Did he kiss her?

Focus has interracial sex scenes (even if they are demure in this day and age).

I do believe he did, at least in the director's cut. Can't remember if it happened or not in the theatrical version, though.

As for interracial sex, well, yup, I suppose Focus does have that leg up on Hancock, lol. :p