PDA

View Full Version : Marvel's Agent Carter (Season 1)

Mara
01-07-2015, 02:57 PM
Guuuuys I am twenty minutes in and I think this might be my favorite new show. Good fun, strong lead, stylish retro fashions, wigs. The characters all feel well-drawn and charming. And would you believe I forgot Enver Gjokaj is in this? He is SO HANDSOME AND TALENTED and if he's not in every episode I'm going to throw something.

Sidenote: I never found Chad Michael Murray even the least bit handsome or compelling, but that retro hair is fantastic on him and he should never change it.

There will probably be tiresome endless think pieces on it, but Peggy's era-appropriate body type is smoking hot.

Mara
01-07-2015, 04:39 PM
Yeah, this is loads of fun. James D'Arcy gets special mention for taking a stock character (fussy British butler) and making him winning, individual, and a bit dashing.

[ETM]
01-07-2015, 10:40 PM
Dina and I are loving it too so far. Loads of well known faces in the openers, too. Loved seeing Royo, Wise and Frain again. I also forgot that Gjokaj was in this, and Fonseca as well. <3

number8
01-08-2015, 01:53 AM
This is just ace. Everything Peggy does is amazing. Everything she wears is amazing.

number8
01-08-2015, 03:08 PM
;532431']Dina and I are loving it too so far. Loads of well known faces in the openers, too. Loved seeing Royo, Wise and Frain again. I also forgot that Gjokaj was in this, and Fonseca as well. <3

So many faces. Devin Ratray and Kevin Hefferman were the most unexpected for me.

Fezzik
01-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Couldn't watch it live so we recorded it.

Watched it last night. Loved it! Fun, dashing and charming, just like its look. Seriously...Peggy Atwell wears everything well, regardless of style or color.

James d'Arcy was wonderful. I love the mini bromance that's blossoming there, and although I know its part of the Marvel cinematic universe, it was nice to see flashbacks to the first CA film instead of them just talking about them, and the little intercut bits with the Captain America radio show were well placed.

Also, as a bonus:

When Peggy went to work the first time (with that smashing red ensemble and killer hat), both me and my fiancee' said "God, she's hot" at the same time. I laughed, then my fiancee' said "threesome here we come!"

I was shocked. She's never ever talked about that kind of stuff before. She's probably joking, but damn did it catch me off guard :lol:

number8
01-08-2015, 05:51 PM
I think it's also a testament to how commanding Atwell is in the role that Carter's eventual fate in Winter Soldier never even occurred to me while watching the show, despite the constant reminders to Captain America.

dreamdead
01-14-2015, 02:51 PM
Not quite as strong as the two intro episodes, and we're about to have the most "duh" female Hydra agent at the inn, but Atwell rocks this, the costumers are delivering, and the series is getting a little more complex about how culture juggled masculinity (calling the wife, [pause], and the girlfriend).

Looking forward to seeing how this continues.

number8
01-15-2015, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I noticed that this episode is still tackling the sexism, but getting into more subtle territory than just everyone treating her as a secretary. Carter's moment of weakness where she thought solving the case would earn her respect at the workplace, and Jarvis' reminder that it wouldn't change anything was pretty powerful, and Atwell sold her realization without even a single line of dialogue.

Also how Sousa gets accused of being in love with Carter just because he doesn't think less of her.

Mara
01-15-2015, 05:20 PM
There's something weird about the fact that we haven't seen Anna. I thought she maybe didn't exist, but we heard her voice, so. ..

dreamdead
01-28-2015, 11:36 AM
Time to backtrack on the subtlety of the sexism on yesterday's episode. There's something off about bemoaning how straightjackted women's sexuality is at the same time that Howard Stark bangs anything that moves here; while the show tries to make Stark's character traits a genuine flaw, it's criticism is undermined by the laughable way it doesn't offer any actual critique. His excursions are all but treated with a drum rimshot.

Yes, Agent Carter's noting a double standard, but the show doesn't do anything interesting with that intersection.

dreamdead
02-04-2015, 06:48 PM
This week had a slow and monotone first half, wherein Peggy has to endure stereotyping at work and then prove her actual worth; these scenes had a little too self-congratulatory air to them, as if they exist solely to let us know that this show's about women's equality. And it should highlight those issues, but something in the writing and general conception of Peggy's ordeal to get over to Europe came off as too arid and artificial. I suspect this is largely because of Murray's relatively static portrayal. Gjokaj doesn't have these issues, both because he's smarter at his job and because he's not a walking billboard of "enjoy our comeuppance after we doubt women's value."

Around the halfway mark, things settled down and the show became stronger. It's strongest when just dealing with Atwell, Gjokaj, and D'Archy; the rest is just sideshow antics.

Mara
02-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Yeah, this episode got reallllllly fun in the second half.

number8
02-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Fantastic episode. The pacing of this show is just great.

I love Atwell's expression when she told Jarvis why she has to go back to her apt.

Mara
02-11-2015, 05:21 PM
Dammit but this show is fun.

number8
02-18-2015, 02:35 AM
Wow. If that is the Madbomb, this show really is much more Captain America related than they initially marketed it to be. I appreciate the sneakiness, though, because it's been one pleasure after another with the revelations. Can't wait to see what's in store for the finale.

dreamdead
02-25-2015, 02:40 PM
Huh. Carter was sidelined for about half of the finale, which was awkward. Stark's re-emergence marginalized her, and in juggling multiple narrative threads, Atwell's character had little to do for much of this final episode.

I'd like to see the show explore more of her relationships with women if it comes back for another season. Certainly good stories that could come out of it, but this write-up (http://www.avclub.com/article/fascinating-flawed-gender-politics-agent-carter-215594) does capture some of my critiques of the show as it presently stands.

Mara
02-25-2015, 07:48 PM
Overall, this series was quality. I love the cast, the characters, and the building of the Marvel universe. I really, really want a second season.

number8
04-29-2015, 11:12 PM
Weird. Hayley Atwell decided to dress up as Peggy for her driver's license photo.

number8
05-12-2015, 06:55 PM
Second season synopsis:

Marvel’s Agent Carter’ returns for a second season of adventure and intrigue, starring Hayley Atwell in the titular role of the unstoppable secret agent for the SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve). Dedicated to the fight against new atomic age threats in the wake of World War II, Peggy must now journey from New York City to Los Angeles for her most dangerous assignment yet. But even as she discovers new friends, a new home — and perhaps even a new love — she’s about to find out that the bright lights of the post-war Hollywood mask a more sinister threat to everyone she is sworn to protect.

Dukefrukem
05-12-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm so following her now.

Mara
05-13-2015, 04:53 PM
Booooooo if this means no more Enver.

[ETM]
05-13-2015, 05:13 PM
Unless they both go. Doesn't say anywhere that they don't.

number8
05-13-2015, 05:28 PM
Carter and Souza Do America.

[ETM]
05-13-2015, 05:34 PM

Mara
05-15-2015, 03:51 PM
Yessssssss.

Also, they are adorable.

Morris Schæffer
07-24-2015, 08:39 PM
Perhaps it's because the past shows that I've seen have all blown me away with their thrilling storylines and high-impact drama, but Agent Carter, though by no means bad, just feels like lesser television. One of my complaints about a lot of Marvel movies is how their outcome always seems predestined. There's no real danger, never a true sense that shit could go wrong. Age Ultron was described as the one where stuff would go really sour, really dark, but nope, didn't feel that either. Still, there's always the huge spectacle to at least make me have a pretty fun time at the movies. Agent Carter, sadly can't even match that.

Saw episode 5 today and things do seemed to be picking up for a while with the arrival of the Howling Commandos. Pretty cool, but the mission itself was a dud. There was zero tension, but I'm intrigued by some of the show's more mysterious aspects so it's something I'm gonna finish off no matter what.

Yes, I like seeing Hayley Atwell, she really seems into the character, but I'm not yet convinced by anything surrounding her.

Morris Schæffer
07-26-2015, 07:58 PM
Perhaps it's because the past shows that I've seen have all blown me away with their thrilling storylines and high-impact drama, but Agent Carter, though by no means bad, just feels like lesser television. One of my complaints about a lot of Marvel movies is how their outcome always seems predestined. There's no real danger, never a true sense that shit could go wrong. Age of Ultron was described as the one where stuff would go really sour, really dark, but nope, didn't feel that either. Still, there's always the huge spectacle to at least make me have a pretty fun time at the movies. Agent Carter, sadly can't even match that.

Saw episode 5 today and things do seemed to be picking up for a while with the arrival of the Howling Commandos. Pretty cool, but the mission itself was a dud. There was zero tension, but I'm intrigued by some of the show's more mysterious aspects so it's something I'm gonna finish off no matter what.

Yes, I like seeing Hayley Atwell, she really seems into the character, but I'm not yet convinced by anything surrounding her.

And...I was wrong. From episode 6 onwards everything got kicked into high gear. All of a sudden the tension was there, the stakes felt palpable, stuff got really freaky (The theater), moving (Dooley), and
I began to laugh at all the banter between Jarvis and Carter. And just like the movies, there's a cool coda to wrap it all off.

That being said, I must, and will, deduct half a star for the innumerable occasions when a character holding another at gunpoint, and thus clearly having the upper hand, got too close and hereby allowing the other to turn the tables.

And considering it's a TV show not financed by HBO, I must say they really brought the 40's back to life rather splendidly and authentically.

Roll on season 2 then.

Morris Schæffer
10-23-2015, 10:38 AM
Kurtwood Smith a regular in S2!

Dukefrukem
03-24-2021, 12:59 PM
Just started this. Can't believe it took me this long.

Dukefrukem
03-29-2021, 01:33 PM
Only 8 episodes but wow. What an excellent idea. I'm saddened this was cut to only two seasons as this might be the best Marvel TV series they have created.

Loved everything about this.

Peng
03-29-2021, 02:52 PM
Yeah, even in the more wobbly second season (plotting-wise, if I recall correctly), I remember the series feel so effortlessly charming and fun. Sad too that it was gone after two seasons.

[ETM]
03-29-2021, 05:08 PM
We named our dog Peggy after Agent Carter.