PDA

View Full Version : Imitation Game (Morten Tyldum)

Ezee E
12-28-2014, 11:26 PM
IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2084970/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

http://optimumscreenings.co.uk/press/THE%20IMITATION%20GAME/Quad_BC_AW_%5B26237%5D%20Imita tion%20Game,%20The.jpg

Watashi
12-30-2014, 05:01 AM
I knew this would be manufactured Oscar-bait, but I thought hey, it will be decent time filler with a good performance. I might as well see it.

Boy, was I wrong. This was insulting. Reading the Wikipedia article on Turing is more cinematic (and more factual) than this film. It takes the most interesting part about Turing and crams it in a throwaway line towards the end. I actually guffawed at the final line.

Wryan
01-01-2015, 11:47 PM
This is a remarkable display of hand-holding*, even for Oscar-bound material. While I'm appreciative that Turing is getting some celluloid props, a meatier result could have been wrung from this. The acting is good across the spectrum; Matthew Beard in particular is given a difficult moment and nails it. Cumberbatch was hired to do a slightly more Asperger-prone Sherlock, I guess, and he's good, I guess. Goode does his thing. Dance does his thing. Strong does his thing. Knightley does her thing. It's all winsome in a way my grandparents would like but not too challenging. Guess they spent the special effects money elsewhere? Or just barely missed aping the wartime news reel style.

The 2001 movie Enigma tred similar waters (a semi-fictionalized Turing account?) and did a better job with the basic crux, I thought...minus the gayness.

Hands cryptography book to student Turing
"By jove, Alan Turing, I think you're going to be good at this stuff one day!"
For fuck's sake.

Ivan Drago
01-02-2015, 01:48 AM
Cumberbatch is tremendous and worth all the Oscar buzz, and I really liked the use of flashbacks and flash-forwards, and the score was great, too. I was also surprised by how funny it was in the first half. I was invested in Turing's story right from the opening monologue, but as Wats said, it ends right when it gets to the most compelling part about him, and I was left underwhelmed in the end.

There's a lot of good things about this movie, so I gave it a yay, but it could've been so much better.

TGM
01-09-2015, 09:46 PM
You forgot the The in the thread title again. :P

Dukefrukem
01-24-2015, 01:14 PM
Cumberbatch is tremendous and worth all the Oscar buzz, and I really liked the use of flashbacks and flash-forwards, and the score was great, too. I was also surprised by how funny it was in the first half. I was invested in Turing's story right from the opening monologue, but as Wats said, it ends right when it gets to the most compelling part about him, and I was left underwhelmed in the end.

There's a lot of good things about this movie, so I gave it a yay, but it could've been so much better.

This sums up my feelings nicely. I still think it's the best movie I've seen nominated for best picture. And Cumberbatch has given the best performance I've seen out of the nominations. (Foxcatcher Nightcrawler next).