PDA

View Full Version : Stretch (Joe Carnahan)

Dukefrukem
12-22-2014, 11:08 PM
I thought we had a thread.

http://www.screenrelish.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Patrick-Wilson-in-Stretch.jpg

Dukefrukem
12-22-2014, 11:09 PM
This sneaked into my top 10 of the year. Wow. Watch on Netflix now. Go go go go go! Oh my Chris Pine. Great Hasselhoff cameo.

eternity
12-23-2014, 02:49 AM
It's kind of funny.

Ezee E
12-23-2014, 03:10 AM
I thought I made a thread too.

Dukefrukem
12-23-2014, 11:54 AM
I thought I made a thread too.

Did it get lost in the reinstall?

Weems
12-24-2014, 07:33 PM
Yikes, I like most of Carnahan's films to some degree, but I thought this film was hella incompetent. And I've never seen the very reliable/talented Chris Pine used so badly.

Ezee E
12-25-2014, 05:23 AM
Did it get lost in the reinstall?

Or maybe I just didn't make it?

Ezee E
12-25-2014, 05:23 AM
Yikes, I like most of Carnahan's films to some degree, but I thought this film was hella incompetent. And I've never seen the very reliable/talented Chris Pine used so badly.

I've hated A-Team and Smokin Aces about as equal as this one.

Dead & Messed Up
02-02-2015, 05:30 AM
This one built on me as it went, with things really taking off once Wilson offers his riff on the Jamie Foxx improv in Mann's eerily similar LA ferryman project. I didn't much care for the confrontation at the end that cites the old alpha / beta male binary, mostly because that's sort of a crock theory best left to red pill men's rights dickheads, but given that it's coming from the villain, I guess it's not really worth trusting. And given that Stretch ignores the potential for alpha asshole behavior during his evolution (he moves past an ex instead of a revenge-bang, he sacrifices money he needs at a key point to save lives), the film may be more of a slight satire on machismo, confidence trumping dominance, strength defined by confidence rather than dominance. It's a fine line. Some of the best work of Wilson's career, who gets into the outsized absurdity with real eagerness.