PDA

View Full Version : The Theory of Everything (James Marsh)

Lazlo
12-12-2014, 01:55 AM
IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2980516/reference)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eCJfACXG5V0/U_aNfg9J2WI/AAAAAAAAAEA/0hbUpFeGhEU/s1600/theory_of_everything_Poster.jp g

Irish
01-13-2015, 10:29 AM
This week, Hallmark Hall of Fame presents...

transmogrifier
01-13-2015, 10:55 AM
I applaud anyone who chooses to see this. You are more committed to cinema than I will ever be.

Irish
01-13-2015, 11:01 AM
I watched about half of it last night. It is a painful experience. I am dismayed that this movie and Alan Turing Wasn't Really Homosexual, Was He? Starring Sherlock keep racking up nominations & award notes.

Like, WTF? This is middlebrow King's Speech stuff but somehow worse. At the very least, I'd have hope these two movies would effectively cancel each other out.

Pop Trash
01-13-2015, 10:56 PM
At the very least, I'd have hope these two movies would effectively cancel each other out.

hahaha I think that's what will happen if they both get nominated for BP which only strengthens Boyhood's chances of winning.

D_Davis
01-13-2015, 11:01 PM
Looks like Austin Powers in that poster.

Ivan Drago
01-14-2015, 02:26 AM
Why yes, I will derail the hate train. I liked it for what it is. Sure it's sappy, but well-directed (James Marsh IS a good director, guys), well-scored, and Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones are worth the awards discussion.

Lazlo
01-14-2015, 03:25 AM
Anyone else think Jones was horribly miscast? Her performance is fine, but she's just too young looking for a part that asks her to convincingly play a range from 18 to 50+.

Also, this movie is so boring.

Irish
01-14-2015, 04:25 AM
Anyone else think Jones was horribly miscast?

Yes. Maybe not horribly miscast but at the end of the picture, neither of them pull off middle age.

TGM
01-17-2015, 03:25 PM
I didn't hate this or anything like just about everyone else here, though this definitely did feel like the most "baity" Oscar movie I've seen so far this season. :\

Sxottlan
01-18-2015, 06:35 AM
Just popped in from self-imposed exile to say this was real bad.

Self-inflicted because I like to see all the films nominated for Best Picture.

Ezee E
03-02-2015, 05:57 AM
Well, I watched this because I wanted to see what beat out Keaton. Plus, I felt like there was at least something special going on, direction wise, with the rather unique poster, and some of the cinematography from the preview.

I'm glad I watched it. If anything, this is definitely the type of movie that needs to be longer. There's simply too much interesting stuff going on to condense into a two hour movie. James Marsh tries his best, and for a biopic, he frequently keeps it visually appealing, something that the Imitation Game never did.

Redmayne is good. I won't say Keaton good, but he pulls it off, and there's a lot of risk going into the role. The dynamic between her and Felicity Jones works the entire way, despite it feeling rushed.

The firework scene is a mere thirty seconds, something that's highlighted beautifully in the trailer. Anyway, Marsh IS a good director as Ivan Drago points out.

THat's all!

Dukefrukem
03-15-2015, 09:49 PM
Imitation Game was a much better biopic than this.

Grouchy
04-30-2015, 04:06 PM
This was complete garbage. I sort of knew it, I just get sort of a collector's bug about watching recent movies sometimes.

Dukefrukem
04-30-2015, 07:22 PM
Garbage is a bit strong. It's a competent movie that didn't push your expectations.

Grouchy
05-03-2015, 09:52 PM
I dunno, when a movie is cheesy and aggravating, I tend to hate it without considering the technical aspects.

It's a well made piece of shit if you want.