PDA

View Full Version : What We Do in the Shadows (Jemaine Clement & Taika Waititi)

Grouchy
12-04-2014, 02:09 PM
http://axxomovies.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/What-We-Do-in-the-Shadows-2014-movie-poster.jpg

Grouchy
12-04-2014, 02:11 PM
I feel about this exactly as I felt about every episode I've ever seen of Flight of the Concords. It's entertaining without ever being hilarious and inmediately forgettable but still fun.

Qrazy
12-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Was Boy good? Eagle vs Shark was so brutally awful.

Dukefrukem
01-09-2015, 11:56 AM
I laughed quite a bit.

"It's a real mess in there. On the upside I think she had a really good time".

transmogrifier
01-09-2015, 12:52 PM
This was great.

Henry Gale
01-12-2015, 05:48 AM
This got so many fantastic, hearty laughs out of me. Pretty easily favourite comedy of last year in terms of the amount of sheer gags I want to watch it all over again for.

Maybe the shortest 85 minutes I've sat through in a long time. There was a point before its epilogue that was so briefly harrowing because I thought it was already over, but it was nice enough to fit a few more awesome moments in before truly ending. There's just such a razor-sharp subtlety to so much of the physical comedy here. Just thinking about the very first shot makes me grin.

There's nothing else I can really say about it that wouldn't just devolve into a transcripted version of people reiterating and one-upping each other with their favourite bits after they see something. So, just watch this, especially with people you may know who've missed Conchords nearly as much as me and my friends, as a big audience theatre experience isn't really a reality for it anymore (at least in North America), despite it absolutely deserving that sort of huge audience. Jemaine needs to direct more ASAP.

***½ / 8.3

Stay Puft
03-08-2015, 05:10 AM
Should we bump this to 2015?

It's pretty good. The novelty wears off after a bit; the concept itself is so funny that even something like Clement vacuuming the stairs while floating made me laugh, but eventually it comes down to the plot and suffers for it. Nothing after the Masquerade was interesting, and the resolution is a little too hurried and unsatisfying (one character's fate is just kinda ok whatever and then the movie is over). But it's incredibly fun and charming overall, and I was smiling like an idiot. Waititi is so cute in this movie.

number8
04-24-2015, 03:38 PM
inmediately forgettable but still fun.

Did you stay until after the credits?

Grouchy
04-24-2015, 04:48 PM
Did you stay until after the credits?
Hahahah no, I hadn't seen that.

MadMan
09-10-2015, 12:21 AM
Really funny and wonderful film. It's more comedy than horror but that's okay.

dreamdead
01-19-2016, 05:09 PM
Very fun. As others noted, nothing quite amazing, but it's so charming and effortless in its approach. It does peter out, but until then, it's good indeed.

Kinda wish Waititi hadn't been marginalized in the third act.

Dukefrukem
01-19-2016, 07:59 PM
We're Werewolves not SWEARwolves!