PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (Francis Lawrence)

Henry Gale
11-20-2014, 05:09 AM
http://images.fandango.com/images/fandangoblog/FIN09_Seashore_1Sht_Katniss_Pa yoff_25x38.jpg

IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1951265/) / Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunger_Games:_Mockingjay_% E2%80%93_Part_1)

Henry Gale
11-20-2014, 05:29 AM
My favourite of the three films by a pretty big margin, even if the character and world-building along with the performances carry over much of the clout and potency with the storytelling's stakes more than any of this chapter's developments themselves.

It still doesn't find a way of being quite as revelatory as its cultural impact or vast potential of its story would leave me wanting, but director Lawrence makes a lot more interesting choices than I remember him shooting for last time around (which I guess comes from him and the franchise essentially having free rein at this point) and like the best of his Catching Fire, here he finds moments to sneak up on me with surprising resonance of emotional gut-punches, as broad and calculated as they may be. Also, for someone that always found the titular games to be the least interesting aspects of the first two films (despite the second's gorgeously IMAX-shot, P.S. Hoffman-driven version of them), this plays so much more interesting as a narrative to where the actual juicy life-blood of Panem lies, spending two hours digging into the ins and outs of the living, breathing, oppressed world beyond and below the Capitol and its calculated pageantry, and how those on the other side of it use the antagonistic powers-that-be's own tactics against them.

It still all feels a bit incomplete, and as someone without any familiarity of the books I'm going along with it in good, breezy faith while I just enjoy the spectacle, the (usually) clever plotting and the fabulous cast they've corralled to awesomely give life to it all. There just seems to be a snowball effect of sorts happening, where everything and everyone involved has become exponentially more assured and effective with each installment, which can only leave me pretty invested and excited for the new heights its finale can possibly reach.

Not enough Tucci though.

*** / 7.6

TGM
11-21-2014, 05:26 PM
This was the most obnoxious, insincere, self-contradicting nonsense I've seen all year. Can't wait for Part 2!

dreamdead
11-23-2014, 10:34 PM
This one undercuts Katniss's agency too much. While it's entirely in keeping with the first half of Collins's novel, she's sidelined or otherwise secondary for too much of this film. In the novel the second half redeems Katniss's sense of self-control, but here everything just sits there. Too much speechifying and chess-match playing across the board. And none of the characters in this film are nearly as interesting as Katniss, even if the actors themselves are solid.

Blah throughout. Tucci and Malone uplifted a lot of the second film. They're sidelined for much of this sequel, and the film is remarkably indifferent.

DavidSeven
11-30-2014, 09:32 AM
Nothing happened in this movie. It was slow, humorless, Jena Malone-less. I can't speak to how it compares to the book; as a movie, it didn't work. This was all exposition with only loose strands of a narrative. It felt entirely too much like the superfluous part-1 money grab everyone would expect.

And I actually quite like the first two films.

Fezzik
12-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Nothing happened in this movie. It was slow, humorless, Jena Malone-less. I can't speak to how it compares to the book; as a movie, it didn't work. This was all exposition with only loose strands of a narrative.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but you just described exactly how I feel about the book, so yay for adaptation, I guess?

Dukefrukem
03-05-2015, 11:55 PM
This was so bad.

transmogrifier
03-06-2015, 12:32 AM
It's a big problem when I, as an audience member, couldn't give two shits about Peeee-tah, or whatever that stupid pronunciation is.

number8
03-06-2015, 03:20 PM
I don't get liking the first two and not liking this one, considering it is the best by a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery wide margin.

TGM
03-06-2015, 04:04 PM
The first one's still the only one that's any good so far. :P

Dukefrukem
03-07-2015, 10:22 PM
The first one's still the only one that's any good so far. :P

Second one.

TGM
03-08-2015, 01:06 AM
Second one.

Was absolutely abysmal. ;)

transmogrifier
03-08-2015, 02:39 AM
All three are the same stolid, slightly cheap, sometimes engaging, poorly acted, harmless enough piece of entertainment. I think my scores for all three range between 57-60.

Dukefrukem
03-08-2015, 01:31 PM
I think what's most disappointing about this franchise is it has arguably the best supporting cast in movie history, and it still manages to be a slog.

Peng
03-08-2015, 05:54 PM
I think what's most disappointing about this franchise is it has arguably the best supporting cast in movie history, and it still manages to be a slog.

Um, regardless of one's thought on both franchises, Harry Potter?

Dukefrukem
03-08-2015, 06:52 PM
Um, regardless of one's thought on both franchises, Harry Potter?

Sure. One of the ones with Gary Oldman.