PDA

View Full Version : Rosewater (Jon Stewart)

TGM
11-16-2014, 05:11 PM
ROSEWATER

Director: Jon Stewart

imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2752688/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

http://www.movpins.com/big/MV5BNjY1NjQ1NjMzNl5BMl5BanBnXk FtZTgwNzU0Mjc1MjE/rosewater-%282014%29-large-cover.jpg

Dukefrukem
11-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Well?

TGM
11-17-2014, 05:59 PM
It's not a bad directorial debut. There's a couple of scenes that stylistically stick out like a sore thumb and don't really fit in with the rest of the movie as such, as if Stewart was trying a bit too hard from time to time. But otherwise, it was decent enough, with some really solid performances.

Stay Puft
11-29-2014, 09:21 AM
There's a couple of scenes that stylistically stick out like a sore thumb and don't really fit in with the rest of the movie as such, as if Stewart was trying a bit too hard from time to time.

Yeah, anything involving computer graphics appearing on screen (all the tweets and hasthags, ha) were tacky. Overall it was serviceable, though. I was surprised he didn't explain the significance of the title. I mean, it's obvious and would have been unnecessary, but it's the kind of film that felt like it had a scene like that waiting in the wings.

Having attended the Jon Stewart talk back at TIFF, I was primed to enjoy this, I suppose, as I was able to appreciate his strategy and artistic choices. It's a message movie, and pretty much exactly what the trailer had people in the upcoming thread thinking it would be, but for all that I still admired the effort. I doubt Stewart is looking at filmmaking as another step in his career, and rather approached this as a one-off passion project. By those standards, I'd give it a mild yay.

Grouchy
06-28-2015, 06:39 PM
Pretty interesting first effort. I agree that the "Twitter saves the world" montages were tacky, but in every other aspect there were interesting and creative directorial choices by Stewart. I think the Leonard Cohen scenes and the final gag with the blindfold are the highlight of the film.

Henry Gale
06-29-2015, 04:57 AM
Having attended the Jon Stewart talk back at TIFF, I was primed to enjoy this, I suppose, as I was able to appreciate his strategy and artistic choices.

They ended up releasing it! (http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/jon-stewart-and-maziar-bahari-uncut-1.2766454)

Phew, I loved it so much, especially just the amazingly concise but resonant insights Stewart shares about his own processes and mindsets as a creative in his industry and just as a person in life in general. It was also the perfect precursor to understanding his relationship with The Daily Show and giving the feeling that he was ready to let it go months before that officially happened, and at the end of it I was relieved to hear them say they'd be releasing the whole thing as a podcast for Q when the movie was released months later.

BUT THEN all the shit went down with Ghomeshi just weeks before that scheduled release window, he was removed as host of the program, and I assumed it'd never be released under CBC, with the clips TIFF released on their site being all we'd ever get publicly. But so happy to see it out there for me to revisit for the foreseeable future (despite the new hindrance of the Ghomeshi allegations hanging over it in my mind, he still does an inarguably strong job of conducting the conversation).

Anyway, I guess I should watch this movie at some point.