PDA

View Full Version : Fury (David Ayer)

TGM
10-21-2014, 05:36 AM
FURY

Director: David Ayer

imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2713180/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

http://www.screenrelish.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/fury_ver2_xlg.jpg

Morris Schæffer
10-25-2014, 09:44 PM
Well, this movie's got the basics right. Lots o mud, lots of fog and of course that good old standby of World War 2 movies, desaaaaaaturated colors!!! This movie is dumb and all the dumbness seems to be contained in the final 30 minutes. 'I will keep all of you alive' Wardaddy says which is nice and good to hear since he's in charge and all and yet his decision to hold the crossroads at the very end is a monumentally retarded one. Their tank is shot to bits, there's 200 (maybe 300) Germans on the way which, by the way, take an eternity to finally show up, just enough of a delay for the crew of the Fury tank to deliver some of the corniest dialogue of the year, meant to deepen, to add texture, but fuck is it like, non-deep. And of course all the soldiers are reluctant at first thinking the sarge's gone bonkers, but, and this may come as a shock, they're all staying, even though he orders them to run off. And the first one to man up is the scrawny, piano-playing kid who joined the crew as a late addition and was the one who got taught some hard lessions early on (in an admittedly good scene showing Pitt in true, unexpected douchebag mode). Anyhow, they don't even lay down an ambush, they're hudled together in the tank waiting for ze Germans to show up. It's not a strategic location, just a muddy road next to a goddamn barn. What the fuck are you idiots still doing there? Somehow, the tank crew manage to decimate the 300 Germans pretty well which is astonishing since one shot of the marching platoon of Germans shows what looks like each single one carrying a big fat Panzerfaust. War isn't nasty, war isn't hell, war is a shootemp yall. Ratatatata!!!! Ratatatata!!!! Oh you want some more?!! Come and get it asshole!!!! Noise!! Unbearable, uncontrolled noise!!! Then, the movie at least seems headed for a just finale, not some fairy-tale because it happens to star Brad Pitt, there's some scary tension right near the end, Logan Lerman is doing some good acting, trying to figure out a dilemma, there seems to be no way out and then....it gets weird. Look, Speed is a masterful action thriller and it taught me that City buses have access panels in the floor, underneath you man, but, to my surprise, tanks have got em too! Much is made of the tank being the boys's home, it's where they eat, pee, cuss, delivery 'deep' lines, so that goes some way towards explaining why things play out the way they do, but it's still dumb.

Ezee E
10-27-2014, 05:46 AM
I forgot the filmmaker (maybe Kubrick) about how it would be impossible to make a true anti-war movie, because filming the violence ends up making it more entertaining then it should. Last year's Lone Survivor and this year's Fury do a pretty damn good job at making war as ugly as it is.

What David Ayer didn't realize is that it's almost all contained in what is a pretty close to a masterful scene in the middle of the movie when he and Norman visit two women in a US-controlled city. Ayer composes his best work here in which you know things aren't going to go well, but how exactly will it go foul?

Ayer's first movie outside of the crime genre hits and misses throughout. As Ayer typically does, he's at his best when it's simply the main set of characters interacting with each other rather than in action. Norman's initiation to war is another key scene that sticks out from the rest. The action itself, is good, but repeatedly uses the same gory tricks, as well as a strange decision to use green and red beams that almost seem out of Star Wars.

Brad Pitt's Wardaddy is well cast but never brings anything further to the table, and that basically goes for the cast when it's all said and done. That's why Fury never fully succeeds as it is focused on the action more than anything, but hitting on the perfect notes in the middle of the movie will certainly make it a worthy viewing.

number8
10-27-2014, 07:43 PM
I forgot the filmmaker (maybe Kubrick) about how it would be impossible to make a true anti-war movie, because filming the violence ends up making it more entertaining then it should. Last year's Lone Survivor and this year's Fury do a pretty damn good job at making war as ugly as it is.

It was Truffaut, and considering this movie has a tense, edge-of-your-seat tank duel, I do think it's proving him right. In the end, it's still a film that aligns with and encourages you to root for the American soldiers, even the asshole ones, as they fight for their lives against all odds.

Ezee E
10-27-2014, 07:46 PM
It was Truffaut, and considering this movie has a tense, edge-of-your-seat tank duel, I do think it's proving him right. In the end, it's still a film that aligns with and encourages you to root for the American soldiers, even the asshole ones, as they fight for their lives against all odds.

Yeah, the tank duel and last half hour definitely prove that right. I think I was more on the middle section that made it tough.

Lone Survivor, while focusing on the patriotism of the soldiers, still manages to pull that one out I think. There wasn't much to enjoy there.

Dukefrukem
01-31-2015, 03:47 PM
It's crazy to me that the same guy who wrote and directed Sabotage, wrote and directed this.

Ezee E
02-01-2015, 03:20 PM
It's crazy to me that the same guy who wrote and directed Sabotage, wrote and directed this.

Right?

I was thinking that Ayer had nothing going for him if he took the camera out of Los Angeles.

Thinking about this movie a few months after I saw it, and it's settling in very well.

Morris Schæffer
02-01-2015, 04:10 PM

I thought this was nearly as dumb and stereotypical as Sabotage although I sorta praised the sound design as well as some of the imagery when it came out. It's a better movie, but overall, it still feels like a movie from the same director, except with much more dirt and, of course, desaturated colors.

Dukefrukem
02-01-2015, 05:04 PM
I thought this was nearly as dumb and stereotypical as Sabotage although I sorta praised the sound design as well as some of the imagery when it came out. It's a better movie, but overall, it still feels like a movie from the same director, except with much more dirt and, of course, desaturated colors.

I think the cast and characters in Fury were much more developed than anyone in Sabotage. Plus a climax with tension that actually has some weight to the outcome... Sabotage didn't really have anything going for it.

Grouchy
03-10-2015, 05:02 PM
This movie is strangely old fashioned in a really crappy sense. You can tell what is going to happen in it almost every minute just by having seen five WWII films before, all from the '50s and '60s.

Also, it's really difficult to take Brad Pitt's Wardaddy seriously after having seen him do a similar character on Inglorious Basterds except with a comedic tone.