PDA

View Full Version : Frank (Lenny Abrahamson)

EvilShoe
09-07-2014, 11:00 AM
http://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2014/horrorella/Frank_huge.jpg

EvilShoe
09-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Oh, so this time I forgot to make the poll public. Um, mod support?

Second act a bit meandering, but it sticks the landing.

DSNT
09-07-2014, 03:43 PM
What I liked: The social media stuff, the homage to Beefheart, Daniel Johnston, and Frank does a good Ian Curtis impression. Fassbender was really strong at the end and I agree that it stuck the landing. The facial expression descriptions were funny.

What I didn't like: The first act was almost trying too hard to be quirky indie and didn't flesh out the characters. They chose the least interesting person as the protagonist. The mood was all over the place and not in a good way. Maggie Gyllenhaal.

I'm mixed(-). Disappointed because I was expecting more.

Grouchy
11-05-2014, 02:50 PM
A very interesting film that doesn't really know how to end, but that is still a refreshing view of mental illness and creativity. Fassbender and the Glesson kid are truly excellent, and although the Gylenhall role is a bit more clichéd she's still charismatic enough to make it work.

I criticized the ending because I think it went long hammering home a point long after it was made, but that doesn't mean I didn't like the last scene, which is wonderfully made and cut.

dreamdead
02-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Yeah, the ending scene here is wonderful. Just a melancholy mindset, but wholly triumphant on many levels.

Agree that the film's opening scenes doubles down on whimsy to an absurd degree. The whole idea of marketability and likeability is interestingly contrasted with a solid sense of unusual experimentation, but I question if the film is too dismissive in how oddities are a little more embraced now than they were in the late-1980s.