PDA

View Full Version : Wild Tales (Damián Szifrón)

Ezee E
09-03-2014, 02:26 AM
IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3011894/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/Relatos_salvajes.jpg

Ezee E
09-04-2014, 03:22 AM
I don't really care for most anthology films as it's simply a decision of which one is the best, and the collective whole never really seem to blend together.

This is the case here, but there are some good spots here. Standing out to me in particular is a road rage section that can really be something from Spielberg in the way that it progresses. It's humorous, brutal, and fun the whole way through. After this, it trails off until a grand wedding finale.

Certainly enjoyable.

Grouchy
09-15-2014, 10:58 PM
Like Ezee says, this is an anthology film, with a very loose structure related to broad themes like revenge and outbursts of rage. It's spectacularly directed and I agree with the wonderfulness of the car drivers battle segment. That one certainly sells the "wild" part of the title. The other best segment in my opinion is the one with DarÃ*n as a frustrated engineer whose car keeps getting towed. The tone is dark comedy, although a particular segment about a wealthy family whose soon kills a woman in a DUI incident is particulary somber.There's certainly some artificiliaty in the way these mini-thrillers are written, exploiting a situation for maximum effect and stretching the credibility of some character choices, but hey, if it works it works, and like I already said, the direction is excellent, with some shots reminding me of Brian De Palma.

Grouchy
09-16-2014, 12:54 AM
I tried to edit the above post because of too many word repetitions, but no cigar.I also wanted to twist my comments to make it a bit more clear that I really, really enjoyed it.

Winston*
06-03-2015, 12:00 AM
The tone is dark comedy, although a particular segment about a wealthy family whose soon kills a woman in a DUI incident is particulary somber.

This one was so out of place. It doesn't seem to fit in thematically or tonally and doesn't even build up to a proper climax. It just ends.

Enjoyed this for the most part, though it feels pretty front loaded with the road rage and plane segments being the tightest and most fun.

Grouchy
06-03-2015, 03:08 PM
This one was so out of place. It doesn't seem to fit in thematically or tonally and doesn't even build up to a proper climax. It just ends.
I agree that it has a markedly different tone than all the other shorts. I disagree with you about the ending, though - it went for a shock twist and it worked for me. Also, Oscar Martinez's (the father) might be the best performance in the movie.