PDA

View Full Version : Cold in July (Jim Mickle)

EvilShoe
08-31-2014, 02:27 PM
http://www.showfilmfirst.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/cold-in-july-quad-poster.jpg

EvilShoe
08-31-2014, 02:29 PM
Forgot the poll! Can a mod fix this?

Anyway, this is quite good. The plot takes some turns I didn't see coming. I wish the plot had a bit more room to breath, but wouldn't mind seeing this again.

Surprising, seeing as how I hated Stake Land.

Yxklyx
11-10-2014, 08:01 PM
The first section of this one is very good but then the tone shifts dramatically - for the worse. Things stop making sense and the pacing works its way down to a boring crawl. The film totally lost me during the long drawn out obligatory closing action sequence.

Grouchy
11-18-2014, 12:27 PM
Pretty good movie. I can see where Yxklyx is coming from, because there is something a bit solemn and drawn out about the final shootout, but how else are you gonna wrap up a Texas-set noir like this one?

What I enjoyed the most are the three main characters, the dialogue and the visual John Carpenter references, which there are plenty of.

number8
12-11-2014, 03:44 PM
I can now say that I've seen every Jim Mickle film. He's an interesting filmmaker, if never entirely successful. But I like that he always tries to shake up the premise of his movies.

D_Davis
12-11-2014, 04:27 PM
More people should read more Lansdale!

Haven't seen the flick, but the book is incredible.

Kurosawa Fan
12-11-2014, 04:41 PM
More people should read more Lansdale!

Haven't seen the flick, but the book is incredible.

Coincidentally, I just got The Bottoms from the library. It's the next book I read.

D_Davis
12-11-2014, 05:23 PM
That was my first Lansdale. Little did I know the places he would take me.