PDA

View Full Version : BoJack Horseman (Season 1)

Spun Lepton
08-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Well, this is on Netflix. I've watched 3 or 4 episodes in the hopes it would improve after its weak beginning, but I'm starting to lose hope. There are no stand-out characters. Much of the humor is stale or underwhelming. The episodes I've seen have done little to expand on the setup. Anybody else watched it?

ledfloyd
08-23-2014, 08:35 PM
I thought the first episode was promising. Eternity is a full-on evangelist for it.

Spun Lepton
08-23-2014, 08:59 PM
I thought the first episode was promising. Eternity is a full-on evangelist for it.

I'd like to hear his thoughts. I will probably end up watching the entire season, only because it's animated.

ledfloyd
08-23-2014, 11:36 PM
I will probably end up watching the entire season because Paul F. Tompkins.

Spun Lepton
08-25-2014, 04:00 PM
I finished the series, and while I have reservations, I would watch a 2nd. The humor style is dry and absurd at once. The best example: the running gag with Princess Caroline dating a character who is three kids in a trenchcoat. It's initially played as silly and over-the-top, but once that initial silliness has worn off, it almost like they're trying to make an actual main character out of him. Sometimes it works.

And fuck these people for making me care a little bit about an anthropomorphic horse and his fictional career.

Ivan Drago
08-31-2014, 04:41 PM
Some episodes are laugh-out-loud funny, others aren't. It's really hit-and-miss for me, but I'll keep watching as a fan of adult animation. There needs to be more out there, in my opinion.

But my favorite small gag was an anthropomorphic rooster jogging in front of BoJack's house during an establishing shot screaming "WAKE UP! IT'S THE MORNING!!!"

EyesWideOpen
08-31-2014, 05:25 PM
I've watched about 5 episodes and yeah hit-and-miss here also. Great opening and closing songs.

EyesWideOpen
09-08-2014, 01:58 AM
Now that I've finished it I can safely say this show is great. I love their sense of continuity. If something gets damaged in one episode then it'll still be damaged in every subsequent episode. This is my favorite thing from Arnett since Arrested Development.

Dead & Messed Up
09-22-2014, 09:06 AM
This improves as it goes, to the point that it's genuinely affecting by the end. I'd watch a second season, but I wonder how they'd find something fresh to say - the shallowness and sadness of Bojack's life seems pretty sufficiently explored. Love how they never hint at an actual goal or endgame for Vincent Adultman.

number8
12-20-2014, 08:30 PM
The Christmas special is amazing.

Dead & Messed Up
12-20-2014, 10:59 PM
Yeah, funny episode throughout, especially with that poor nerd's attempt at a catchphrase - and that one guy in the audience ("Kiss!") - but then the climax kicks it up to 11 with that insanely dark take on Santa-as-God and the "heartwarming" concluding statements

("I'm glad your parents died").

This show.

Irish
07-30-2015, 08:46 PM
Starts out trite and becomes unabashedly great. This has my vote for one of the best shows on television.

I struggled with the first half dozen episodes because the premise is tired and the hook is idiotic and arbitrary but then the continuity and the writing kicks in.

Really dig the absurdist humor-- Vincent Adultman, the movie that turns into a "curated bimonthly box of snacks," the Halloween store in January.

Also dig the subtle visual humor that happens in the background that the characters don't comment on, like how BoJack carries his Golden Globe with him everywhere he goes.

First flash of brilliance was Diane's family in Boston. Last flash of brilliance was the Secretariat movie. Fantastic stuff. Looking forward to S2.