PDA

View Full Version : Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Jonathan Liebesman)

TGM
08-10-2014, 01:10 PM
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES

Director: Jonathan Liebesman

imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1291150/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-2014-Logo.jpg

TGM
08-10-2014, 04:03 PM
This movie has about as many moments that are genuinely fun as it does those that are just way too loud, way too much, way too overbearing. The first big action sequence in the sewers was especially jarring, but the action did get a bit better once they moved out into the sunlight. A very mixed bag movie in that way.

Also, I hate how the origins was changed in a similar manner as The Amazing Spider-Man, where things just feel way too convenient and forced at times as a result.

A turtles training/punishment sequence turning into a blatant Pizza Hut commercial also really turned me off of this thing.

Overall, at least it's not as bad as Turtles 3.

Sven
08-10-2014, 06:19 PM
A turtles training/punishment sequence turning into a blatant Pizza Hut commercial also really turned me off of this thing.

Sounds like classic Turtles.

TGM
08-10-2014, 06:49 PM
It really wasn't in this instance, though.

Sven
08-10-2014, 06:50 PM
It really wasn't in this instance, though.

I believe it.

Watashi
08-10-2014, 07:24 PM
The original movies never stooped this low. At least the turtles in the first two movies would eat actual NYC pizza.

number8
08-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Seriously, fucking Pizza Hut?

Morris Schæffer
08-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Well, if it was Dominos, I might have gone out to see this, but now? Shaeet.

Dukefrukem
08-11-2014, 11:46 AM
$65 mil and sequel announced

D_Davis
08-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Sounds like classic Turtles.

Classic, non-B&W comic and RPG Turtles. The shit turtles.

Can't believe so many people went and saw this.

number8
08-11-2014, 04:07 PM
I always have to wonder which one they're referring to when I read people complaining about their "original Turtles" being ruined.

http://www.bite.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/TMNT.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b145/geddoe316/pg36.jpg

D_Davis
08-11-2014, 04:33 PM
The only Turtles that exist are in After the Bomb / TMNT RPG, the original B&W comic, and the Tales of the... B&W comic.

Sven
08-11-2014, 04:42 PM
Rick Veitch has some gnarly early issues, as well as a bonkers Casey Jones mini where he fights lobster people.

Watashi
08-11-2014, 04:47 PM
This is a great article of the real origins behind TMNT. (http://screencrush.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-animated-series/)

D_Davis
08-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Eric Talbot will always be my favorite TMNT artist. His work on Tales of the TMNT is amazing.

And Jim Lawson's work in the After the Bomb / TMNT RPG is so rad.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/1f96e68c340af8ac72e6a6fb6265c6 82/tumblr_n4lcraRVVl1ro2bqto1_500 .jpg

Irish
08-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Classic, non-B&W comic and RPG Turtles. The shit turtles.

Can't believe so many people went and saw this.

This is like comparing Adam West to Bob Kane, and believing somebody is wrong in their love of one entertainment over another.

I've spent my lunch hour hate-reading all these idiot critics tut-tutting over the marginal success of this movie. It makes no sense to me. We're talking about properties with $100MM marketing budgets distributed by multinational corporations. Booing this movie is like booing US Steel's quarterly report.

What makes Platinum Dune's brand of middlebrow, formulaic crap any better or worse than Disney/Marvel's brand of middlebrow, formulaic crap? One can argue execution, I suppose. But for where I'm sitting in the cheap seats, these are different rings at the same circus. How can anyone decry the Turtles and then eagerly devour yet another X-Men sequel without any sense of contradiction at all?

Most people don't spend tens of hours researching movies and learning about them. They just go. It's two hours of distraction out of their week. Despite pretenses and arguments to the contrary, this is a large part of what movies have always been. It's a core part of their appeal.

/rant

D_Davis
08-11-2014, 07:51 PM
You spent more time defending the movie's success than I did dismissing it.

I win.

Irish
08-11-2014, 07:59 PM
You spent more time defending the movie's success than I did dismissing it.

I win.

You're right; I failed. At least to communicate the core part of that message, which wasn't about defending TMNT at all.

number8
08-11-2014, 08:01 PM
I've never been to a circus with more than one ring, personally.

Irish
08-11-2014, 08:04 PM
I've never been to a circus with more than one ring, personally.

:lol: I'm surprised you even made it into the tent. You strike me as the type who spends all his time at the sideshow with his hands in his pockets, gawking at the bearded lady.

Watashi
08-11-2014, 08:18 PM
How can anyone decry the Turtles and then eagerly devour yet another X-Men sequel without any sense of contradiction at all?

I don't know, maybe the talent involved? X-Men films have a star-studded cast and the most recent film got excellent reviews across the board. I think that's reasonable to anticipate a sequel.

TMNT has the autuer behind Battle: Los Angeles and Wrath of the Titans. Liebesman's last three films have a combined 79% on the tomatometer. Saying these films are cut from the same cloth is wrong.

We want good movies to do good.

Dead & Messed Up
08-11-2014, 08:24 PM
I don't know, maybe the talent involved? X-Men films have a star-studded cast and the most recent film got excellent reviews across the board. I think that's reasonable to anticipate a sequel.

TMNT has the autuer behind Battle: Los Angeles and Wrath of the Titans. Liebesman's last three films have a combined 79% on the tomatometer. Saying these films are cut from the same cloth is wrong.

Yep, this film lost me at Bay, and then it extra lost me at Liebesman.

Irish
08-11-2014, 09:23 PM
This movie has no votes and yet a 3 star rating. Let's go, TGM. Stop slacking and cast your vote. And where's Henry? He's had to have seen this.

TGM
08-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Was holding off on a vote 'cause I was undecided, but alright. I didn't entirely hate it, but I didn't exactly like it either, so, eh, mild nay. :P

Dukefrukem
12-06-2014, 01:22 AM
Garbage.

TGM
12-08-2014, 11:47 PM
So apparently Bebop and Rocksteady are supposed to be in the sequel? But are Bebop and Rocksteady even a part of any of the post 90s Turtles cartoons? Does this generation of kids even know who they are? What's even the point of including those two now that it's about 20 years too late?

I dunno, I was thinking about this movie last night, and just couldn't get over how stupid it was to give the Turtles all super strength. Just goes to show how little the people behind this movie understand the Turtles. They're not fucking superheroes with super powers. They're ninjas. That's it, and that's all that's necessary. Bah...

Dukefrukem
12-09-2014, 12:10 AM
So apparently Bebop and Rocksteady are supposed to be in the sequel? But are Bebop and Rocksteady even a part of any of the post 90s Turtles cartoons? Does this generation of kids even know who they are? What's even the point of including those two now that it's about 20 years too late?

I dunno, I was thinking about this movie last night, and just couldn't get over how stupid it was to give the Turtles all super strength. Just goes to show how little the people behind this movie understand the Turtles. They're not fucking superheroes with super powers. They're ninjas. That's it, and that's all that's necessary. Bah...

I think the more appropriate question is does anyone care about this lice action movie franchise anymore? And Bebop and Rocksteady were in the last lice action movies.

TGM
12-09-2014, 12:13 AM
I think the more appropriate question is does anyone care about this lice action movie franchise anymore? And Bebop and Rocksteady were in the last lice action movies.

Bebop and Rocksteady have never been in any of the Turtles movies. ;)

Melville
12-09-2014, 12:25 AM
This is a great article of the real origins behind TMNT. (http://screencrush.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-animated-series/)
Terrible article. The guy just comes off as bitter about not getting more credit (and some of Eastman & Laird's millions), and the author of the article goes along with him in belittling the original comics. Contrary to his claims, the turtles had distinct personalities in the comics by '87, and Shredder was the established arch-foe (he'd already come back from the dead and forced the turtles to flee the city). It's also ridiculous to say that April O'Neil was a totally different character who happened to have the same name. And he's getting senselessly petty when he says that the recent movie ripped him off by having April faint when first encountering the turtles, since (a) that isn't particularly clever anyway, and (b) it happened in the comics.

Not all of the original comics are good, but some of them are pretty great—especially the storyline that the first movie was loosely based on. (And that first movie is still good.)

Melville
12-09-2014, 12:37 AM
Eric Talbot will always be my favorite TMNT artist. His work on Tales of the TMNT is amazing.
Yeah, I loved his stuff. For a traditional TMNT style, I also liked Eastman a lot. Outside that traditional look, I was in awe the first time I saw a Michael Zulli issue.

Grouchy
01-23-2015, 04:54 PM
First movie in a long, long time that I turn off before it ends. Watched some Dr. Who with Christopher Eccleston instead.

Skitch
02-15-2015, 08:50 PM
The Last Airbender + Mortal Kombat + an exploding blender full of Swiss Army knives ÷ Megan Fox's Oscar chances x Pizza Hut = Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Dukefrukem
02-15-2015, 08:59 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Skitch again.

Sven
02-16-2015, 12:46 AM
Megan Fox's Oscar chances

Anything times zero is zero.

Skitch
02-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Anything times zero is zero.

Yes.