PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Korra (Book 3: Change)

Philip J. Fry
07-16-2014, 02:19 AM
http://avatarthelastairbenderonline.c om/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/book3change.jpg
This will be a short thread thanks to Nick. So far, so good, though.

Thoughts of the last two episodes:

You know, it's quite a shame this season of Legend of Korra will pass so, so quickly 'cause right now, it's on fire. A few thoughts:
- TOPH IS ALIVE... somewhere. And slept around? Or married twice? I mean, two girls with two different men. Or maybe was a single mother which kinda sounds like Toph.
- lol at the Earth Queen and her allergies. And the Dai Li isn't as cool as they used to be. Also, the possibility of a potential war is nothing short of enticing.
- Jinora and Kai are like the most adorable thing ever, and Tenzin will be funnier because of this.
- Combustion Woman <3 And I wanna see more of Zaheer and his gang. And their past. I also have a little theory about them. It will be on the spoiler below.
- Zaofu is amazing, I don't know how do they come up with so many new ideas to expand that world.
- Verrick back is a positive. He stole the show again.
- Bolin is so bad trying to impress girls.
- Can't wait to see more of Lin's past, since the moment she appeared, she seemed ripe for a character study and I think soon we'll have one, I mean, what did Suyin, Toph and others did to her to turn her into such a bitter and sad woman? I know a little about what Tenzin did to her but not to the extent. She just seems like the most interesting character of the show right now.
- The people that left the show at the end of season 1, beginning of season 2 are missing out on something potentially special.
My theory is trying to capture Korra or being captured, they killed Sokka, that's why they know how dangerous they are and probably why Toph left to find peace, or something.

So yeah, good times, good times.

Thirdmango
07-16-2014, 08:25 PM
Every episode this season has made me very excited about the next episode. I'm very happy with it so far. I want Bolin and that new girl to be together so freaking bad. I love Bolin so much.

Philip J. Fry
07-16-2014, 09:41 PM
Every episode this season has made me very excited about the next episode. I'm very happy with it so far. I want Bolin and that new girl to be together so freaking bad. I love Bolin so much.Pfft, Bolin/Asami 4ever.:P
Opal seems nice, though.

Philip J. Fry
07-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Wait, I'm wondering... what if Lin found out she couldn't have kids and, out of pride or something, told Tenzin she didn't want to have any, which, eventually made Tenzin break up with her and eventually end up with Pema? It could partially explain her bitterness, specially towards Su, who had five... and maybe that's why she didn't want to even talk to Opal.

Philip J. Fry
07-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Old Wounds/Original Airbenders.

- The thing I gather more from Old Wounds, and the reason I like it so much, I think it is that not only provides development to Lin and Su, it also gives a ton of development to Toph, despite only having few lines. One of the more important developments for this show has been how the characters from TLA didn't grow up to be perfect people, specially as parents and how that has brought issues to their children, so much as to bring disappointment to them, I can see how. In Toph's case, to get her attention, Su rebels like she once did (brilliant idea of having Jessie Flower as young Su, BTW) with the difference of not having the kind of friends she had to channel that energy, while Lin tries to follow her footsteps and in the process drives everyone farther away and with that, any chance of happiness. After the events of this episode, I can see why Toph would've decided to walk the earth, looking for enlightenment, who wouldn't try to forget or find a way to fix those mistakes?
- "You know what, Lin? You're the one who hasn't changed. You're still a bitter loner who only cares about herself. No wonder Tenzin ended things with you years ago." Burn.- Great fight between Lin and Su, BTW, Lin was unhinged.
- Lin is weird when she has peace of mind... reminds me of Zuko near the end of the Ba Sing Se arc... will she get back to her anger blues like Zuko did?
- Varrick is Iron Man, Zhu-Li is not happy.
- Korra metalbends!!!
- "Just thinking about my body and mustaches that I might have in the future."
- Bolin and Opal are adorable. And Opal is turning into more than just a simple love interest, she already has had some good scenes, I've liked her scenes with Lin the most and how she stopped the fight between the sisters. That was a very Aang moment.
- The evil gang wants to destroy the Avatar and also kill the President... They're so cool. And apparently Zaheer has mad spiritual tracking skillz, can't wait to see them fight the new Team Avatar.
- Otaku the airbender.
- "Plural of bison is bison" Why is that so funny?
- Korra and Tenzin's reaction to Bolin's declaration of love is priceless.
- Baby Bison!!!
- "Shaving your head is a personal choice" "Wait, what?" Bwahahahahah. How useful was the shaved head was great, though.
- Rebellious teen Jinora is great.
- "No, I don't think I should apologize. Tenzin just wants to boss everybody around, I'm too old for that shit"
- BOSCO NOOOOOOO!!!! That was cruel writers. That was cruel.
- Kai wanted to kill that bison poacher... I don't know how to feel about it. He had good form, though.
- My favorite part of the episode is to see Bumi as something more than the buffoon he usually is, it's a little more clear how was he able to be a United Forces general and I would like to see him more as a commander and leader... and apparently he is able to talk to spirits... cool.
- More baby bison.
- I wanna see more Asami.

Philip J. Fry
07-24-2014, 01:30 AM
Last Five Episodes of The Legend of Korra Season 3 Being Pulled Until Further Notice (http://avatarthelegendofkorraonline.c om/last-five-episodes-of-the-legend-of-korra-season-3-being-pulled-until-further-notice/6393/).

Bryan Konietzko said they are not cancelled. (http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/92677924067)

Michael Dante DiMartino said the last 5 episodes of the season will be available through various sites online. (https://www.facebook.com/MichaelDanteDiMartino)

Nickelodeon can suck my dick.

Mara
07-24-2014, 01:35 AM
Wait, what? That's absurd!

I am actually just now catching up. The last few weeks have been very busy. But this season is killing it.

Mara
07-24-2014, 01:37 AM
Maybe ratings have been low because they totally dropped the season with zero warning or fanfare? A thought.

Philip J. Fry
07-24-2014, 01:41 AM
Maybe ratings have been low because they totally dropped the season with zero warning or fanfare? A thought.Exactly!! Right now it looks like they just wanna get rid of it and just get back to kiddie fare. It truly blows, specially now that Korra was on it's best stretch. It just... baffles me.

Philip J. Fry
07-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Starting this August 1, all the remaining episodes will be aired weekly on Nick.com and the Nick app and platforms like Amazon, Google Play, Xbox and Hulu. (http://korranation.tumblr.com/post/92735712934/book-3-moving-to-digital-release?vcs=social_20140724_28 387386)

Thirdmango
07-24-2014, 08:20 PM
I'm usually pretty up to date on different shows. I didn't know Korra came back until it showed up on my DVR and I thought at first that maybe my DVR had accidentally recorded reruns.

Thirdmango
07-24-2014, 08:22 PM
Thinking about it too, it might also have to do with the fact that no one who watches Korra watches the rest of Nick's programming.

Philip J. Fry
07-24-2014, 10:02 PM
Thinking about it too, it might also have to do with the fact that no one who watches Korra watches the rest of Nick's programming.Probably. Thinking about it, the last I remember on that channel, besides the original Avatar, that had potentially a similar audience was Danny Phantom... which stopped airing like 6-7 years ago and was also screwed by the network.

Apropos of nothing, where is your avatar from?

Winston*
07-25-2014, 12:21 AM
Michael Dante DiMartino said the last 5 episodes of the season will be available through various sites online. (https://www.facebook.com/MichaelDanteDiMartino)

He also said that season 4 is not at risk, and that was going to be the last season anyway.

Thirdmango
07-25-2014, 10:13 AM
Apropos of nothing, where is your avatar from?

It's from Shinichiro Watanabe's 3rd series Kids on the Slope. It's in the opening sequence.

http://vimeo.com/40669909

My tag line under my name (Shocking Seductive Spiral) is one of the lyrics in the song.

Philip J. Fry
07-26-2014, 11:38 PM
It's from Shinichiro Watanabe's 3rd series Kids on the Slope. It's in the opening sequence.

http://vimeo.com/40669909

My tag line under my name (Shocking Seductive Spiral) is one of the lyrics in the song.Looks very cool, I'll check it out in the near future.

Philip J. Fry
07-26-2014, 11:39 PM
The Terror Within.

- Bolin trying to metalbend is funny, Korra is awesome there.
- Bolin throws a little pebble to that guy's forehead, nice Chekhov's Gun.
- Bye bye Opal. Bolin loves ya.
- Zaheer's gang, even if they were unable to take Korra, are just incredible, from the efficiency with which they took her down with the darts (almost as the typical professional assassin using a silencer gun) to them being almost an unstoppable force when fighting everyone else... and P'Li can even bend her combustion-bending!! Combustion Man couldn't do that.
- Also, the darts had the poison of June's pet!!!
- After they left, however, in some instances got predictable, specially after Varrick was proved innocent... it was clear Aiwei was the mole, however it made for a nice payoff with the scene at his house... I mean, a bomb!! I like when Bryke and co show how truly dangerous the new technology can be in this world, I saw the bomb and almost had a heart attack... and so did Korra.
- Also, it seems the writer have finally figured out how to use Mako. He hasn't had that many screentime this season but when he has had it, it's been funny as hell or has allowed hi to shine, in this case, his deductive skills.
- I still suspect Su a little, I mean, the jeep... could be she's thirsty for revenge against Aiwei or it is a trap, anyway, can't wait for next episode!

Despite it's relative predictability, it was a great fun time, maybe the best episode of the season.

Philip J. Fry
08-02-2014, 02:24 AM
The Stakeout...
- Naga bitchslapping Korra. :P
- Mako and Bolin are going to cook.
- I nearly fell of when Bolin's fanboys appeared... and the squishy doll!!!
- "Korra, as the Avatar, you need to standardize these Pai Sho rules!"
- Bye, bye Aiwei, enjoy your spirit coma.
- Zaheer today clearly became my favorite villain since Amon. He wants balance, he wants the greater good, thinks there should be no division between nations (which calls to mind Aang's encounter with Guru Pathik, were he realized nations are just but an illusion) considers the Earth Queen a tyrant, President Raiko incompetent and, well, a guy who only plays politics and condemns Ozai for the Air nomad massacre, all points one would agree and at the same time, trying to reach them through anarchy and violence? Love that.
- Even the bad guys think Unalaq is a scumbag.
- The fight between Mako/Bolin against Ghazan and Ming Hua was fantastic, we had seen what Ming Hua was able to do but to see Ghazan too was great, also, for a moment I thought Ming Hua was going to kill one of the two.
- Korra as Hannibal Lecter and a showdown between the Red Lotus, the Dai Li, Team Avatar and possibly Lin? Yes, please!!
- I'll call it, Su is part of the Red Lotus.
Fuuuuu... best episode so far? Maybe. This is on fire.

Wryan
08-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Amusing to realize why they cast Henry Rollins as Zaheer. Sad to hear about the show possibly not doing so well, but at least we'll still get the episodes in some form. This season has been pretty great so far, although I don't think it's reached as high as the Amon arc in the first season, personally. I've enjoyed Lin and Su's relationship. And I love Tenzin, always.

Philip J. Fry
08-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Amusing to realize why they cast Henry Rollins as Zaheer. Sad to hear about the show possibly not doing so well, but at least we'll still get the episodes in some form. This season has been pretty great so far, although I don't think it's reached as high as the Amon arc in the first season, personally. I've enjoyed Lin and Su's relationship. And I love Tenzin, always.I've really enjoyed Rollins. I find it funny that some people has been complaining that Zaheer sounds way too young and yet, well, it's Rollins' voice, when it comes to age he's not really far in real life from the guy in the cartoon.

Philip J. Fry
08-07-2014, 09:33 PM
And tomorrow's episode got leaked... damn.

Philip J. Fry
08-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Long Live the Queen

- Ho...ly... shit. Just... wow at Zaheer, not fucking around. The assassination of the Earth Queen is quite the chilling scene and the most risky since S1's murder/suicide. Kudos to Bryke for having the balls and the scene itself is just amazing, the visual of the queen red eyes, expression and wheezing. I'm still surprised when they say Korra is a kid's show.
- And previous to that, the Red Lotus made it look easy against the Dai Li. So great.
- "You were raised by an older sister. Your mustache grew in when you were 10. And I’m sensing, just sensing, an unspoken attraction between you two." Bolin is the best.
- So is Asami, who needs even more screentime.
- Bryke have been watching Dune.
- Hi Zuko and Tonraq. Nice to see you again.
- "How did you find us?" "I am a detective".
- For a moment I thought Mako would tell Bolin that if he didn't bend the bars, he'd never see Opal again. Damn.
- Ba Sing Se into chaos.
Best of the season? Best of the season.

Mara
08-09-2014, 12:50 AM
Excellent episode. Exciting, frightening, plot-advancing, and that suffocation scene was brutal.

And yet, the little humor moments are always there. "I haven't seen my wife or children in four years! At first it was kind of nice. I could finally get some sleep. But now I really miss them!"

Wryan
08-09-2014, 04:04 AM
I don't think the Earth Queen was killed. I did at first, but now I think she's just out of commission/knocked out/stuffed in a jail cell somewhere or something.

But still, great episode. Love it.

Philip J. Fry
08-09-2014, 04:12 AM
But still, great episode. Love it.I don't know, killing her sounds very Red Lotus and, well, one of their primary objectives is to kill governments.

Mara
08-15-2014, 06:58 PM
I am legitimately upset.

Like, I am trembly. In real life.

Wryan
08-15-2014, 07:26 PM
They wouldn't dare. I swear to god if they do it...

great episode

Mara
08-15-2014, 07:32 PM
I'M NOT SURE THEY CARE ABOUT US, WRYAN.

Qrazy
08-15-2014, 11:55 PM
What are you guys worried about? Tenzin?

Wryan
08-16-2014, 12:05 AM
Yes. It would be a reasonable way to raise the stakes, given the situation. And I would rage if it happened. I don't think it will though...for now.

Philip J. Fry
08-16-2014, 04:16 AM
I don't know... I... I just don't know...:sad:

Philip J. Fry
08-16-2014, 04:17 AM
Yes. It would be a reasonable way to raise the stakes, given the situation. And I would rage if it happened. I don't think it will though...for now.I don't know if I'd be sad and upset or admire their balls... At this moment... wow.

Philip J. Fry
08-16-2014, 04:35 AM
Full thoughts.
- TENZIN!!! OMG TENZIN!!! I'm legitimately concerned about his life now. :cry:
- Ba Sing Se is the new Rome ('cause it's burning).
- That awkward moment when grandma Mako asks Mako why isn't he dating any of those two lovely ladies.
- IROH!!! I LOVE SEEING YOU BACK!! I CAN'T STOP SCREAMING!
- Zuko realizing Korra was able to talk to Iroh was amazing.
- Mako and Bolin's grandma is funny.
- Holy balls this fight scenes! The Red Lotus are more terrifying every week! I mean, Ming-Hua with multiple tentacles... Ghazan... Zaheer and sniper P'Li!
- I really worried about the lives of everyone there, first, I thought Kai was going to die (Jinora had a good moment watching him apparently die), then Bumi and Kya... and all those close calls make me think it's curtains for Tenzin.
- TENZIN!!!! :cry:

Philip J. Fry
08-17-2014, 02:35 AM
http://37.media.tumblr.com/becda630e3bbc2a7e8434435b543b4 12/tumblr_nad9h3QLYQ1rugbxxo1_500 .png
Am I a bad person for finding this funny?

Wryan
08-22-2014, 06:21 PM
Wow. Goddamn. Fantastic double-episode finale. Lots of great moments and a difficult ending.

Seeing Korra so infirm was quite upsetting. Going to be interesting seeing what they do with another book. Loved Jinora looking like Aang. Whew Tenzin. Great little callbacks to past books, even back to the Aang/Ozai fight at the end of Last Airbender.

Philip J. Fry
08-22-2014, 10:02 PM
Enter the Void/Venom of the Red Lotus

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvqGW-RCQAATU-M.jpg:large

- Well they didn't. Sup' Tenzin?
- I hope to see more of Mako and Bolin's grandma, that Gilligan cut of her, Naga and Pabu was hilarious.
- Bolin lavabends!!! I love how they were foreshadowing his metalbending just to subvert it into lavabending. Clever.
- P'Li and Zaheer shared a tender moment. I love those little humanistic touches into the villains.
- Chained Korra and Tonraq vs Zaheer --> Awesome.
- Apparently Zelda Williams (that metalbending captain) will have a bigger role next season.
- Zaheer can fly!!!
- Su/Lin Vs P'Li... fffffffffffff. But seriously, I love how Zaheer's gang was taken out. In the three battle scenes we saw our heroes outmatched and forced to think outside the box, be it Su covering P'Li's head with the jacket, Mako tricking Ming-Hua into that cave full of water to electrocute her and then team up with Bolin to force Ghazan into pretty much committing suicide. Reminded me of the time Katara defeated Azula again, with her brains.
- And speaking of battle scenes, the climatic battle of Korra vs Zaheer was amazing, just, amazing, visually speaking, great use of camera angles, action scenes reminding me of Aang/Ozai and in the middle of it there's this amazing oner where we see Korra chasing Zaheer and try to hit him from behind. I was blown away.
- Jinora totally won her tattoos here. Not only she displayed her spiritual abilities but also resourcefulness to steal that key and help free everyone and the necessary leadership to lead the new Air Nomads towards the future, firmly shown when she, along with the new airbenders create the tornado to finally capture Zaheer. And I'm also extremely surprise to notice how identical she is to Aang (I kinda hope she doesn't stay bald forever, though).
- The final plan of the Red Lotus, now that I think about it, makes sense for their goals and I'm surprised I didn't think about it, and the poisoning scene brought a lot of great moments, specially Korra's hallucinations of Amon, Unalaq and Vaatu. Visually, for the camera angles and the themes, gave me quite a Satoshi Kon vibe and it was truly frightening at times, specially for her. I think that my favorite part of Venom of the white Lotus was seeing Korra so vulnerable, probably her most vulnerable since season one: the poison not only destroying her body but slowly destroying her psyche. If there is no Avatar not only the world falls into chaos, but everyone she loves is gone as well and after believing she had lost her father, I truly saw her enter in despair and to just go into a truly animalistic side, I mean, when she got free she was just pure, unadultered anger and sadness and even worse, although Su managed to take away the poison and Zaheer was captured, it's clear that as of right now, Korra has been broken, shell shocked, she's done. Not only will it take time for her to physically recover (if she can recover) but mentally. That will be quite something to see in Book 4, specially with Ba Sing Se still in chaos, Republic City still a vineyard and the Red Lotus beaten but not eliminated and for that, she'll need her friends and loved ones more than ever.
Great, great season finale, and so bittersweet... so so bittersweet.
Seriously, I really feel terrible for Korra. :(

Philip J. Fry
08-23-2014, 04:11 PM

Mara
08-23-2014, 09:35 PM
My roommate walks in.

"Are you crying over a cartoon?"

SHUT IT. YOU DON'T GET TO JUDGE ME.

Philip J. Fry
08-23-2014, 10:11 PM
My roommate walks in.

"Are you crying over a cartoon?"

SHUT IT. YOU DON'T GET TO JUDGE ME.Haha! When the cartoon is that good...

slqrick
08-24-2014, 12:40 AM
Easily the best season of the show. Focused narrative, minimal teenage soapy horseshit while evolving the many relationships in interesting ways (the Korra/Asami scenes this season were perfect), and some really brutal action. That finale left me breathless.

Thirdmango
08-25-2014, 05:15 PM
The animation team was on their game for that finale. Amazing season.

Lucky
11-18-2014, 03:43 AM
Burned through this in a week. A tight, quality season that hit a lot of the right notes. This series is superb at characterization and making me fall for new characters just as much as the loyal main cast. Something needs to be said about the action sequences this year as well. The villainous quad not only raised the stakes of danger, but provided some novel ideas to keep the action thrilling and inventive.

Philip J. Fry
11-19-2014, 05:52 AM
Burned through this in a week. A tight, quality season that hit a lot of the right notes. This series is superb at characterization and making me fall for new characters just as much as the loyal main cast. Something needs to be said about the action sequences this year as well. The villainous quad not only raised the stakes of danger, but provided some novel ideas to keep the action thrilling and inventive.Thoughts about the final scene??
https://33.media.tumblr.com/37c9aaf2ffbb056bb823deb6a39d49 c8/tumblr_napva1sc1I1qe3kfyo1_500 .gif

Wryan
11-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Well this was a rather unfortunate turn of an episode, being a clips show, but it was still done pretty well and flew by. They managed to include some great humor as well (Mako being taken to task for being a douche; the four-way phone call of villainy), plus it reminded me how much of the so-so Book 2 I had forgotten. The creators wrote a tumblr post talking about why it went down like this (short version: budget), and while that makes me pretty sad, I think they did about as good and creative a job with it as they could given the circumstances.

Also, there's a nice throwaway line that Varrick has when Bolin sobs about all the bad stuff that's happened/that he did: "Na na ba ba ba...you're emphasizing the wrong story beats." Kind of a simple line, but it speaks volumes about the way perception can mess with us and keep us seeing the worse instead of the better.