PDA

View Full Version : Fezzik's Top 100 songs in animated film

Fezzik
07-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Hey all.

Shameless plug here. After seeing that Buzzfeed list of the "definitive list" of the songs in the Disney canon, I became a bit perturbed - not only because they used "definitive" to describe what is, basically, one person's opinion, but because of the inexplicable place on the list that so many of the songs ended up falling.

In response, I decided to do my OWN list on my blog, but instead of Disney songs, I decided to include the songs from animated films in general, regardless of studio, and limit it to a top 100.

Since I posted the list on my blog, I was just going to post the links to each post (i broke the list up into several parts), but I wondered if maybe I should transfer what I did over here to spark discussion (I know a couple of people who will have very strong opinions on a lot of what I did - and didn't - include).

For reference, here is my blog's address: http://kuelthador.wordpress.com

Take a look, and let me know whether it would be ok - or would be a breach of some kind of forum etiquette - to repurpose the posts for this board.

Thanks!

Watashi
07-08-2014, 06:59 PM
It's a solid list. Though I think a 100 is a bit much. With that amount you're just reaching at lower-tier songs near the back end of the list. I didn't really notice any major song exclusions (No "Gaston"?). I strongly disagree with the order. The fact that you have Ashman/Menken's crowning achievement "Part of Your World" is the mid 50's is kinda shocking. "Not in Nottingham" is also way too low (my personal favorite).

Needs more Brave Little Toaster.

Lucky
07-09-2014, 03:44 AM
Fun list. I think your two glaring omissions are "Love" from Robin Hood and "I Wanna Be Like You" from Jungle Book. I appreciate "Once Upon a December" and the second Spirited Away choices -- uncommon but deserving.

Fezzik
07-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Fun list. I think your two glaring omissions are "Love" from Robin Hood and "I Wanna Be Like You" from Jungle Book. I appreciate "Once Upon a December" and the second Spirited Away choices -- uncommon but deserving.

"I Wan'na Be Like You" is there (#26) but yeah, "Love" just didn't quite make the cut for me. I guess after hearing so many love songs over so many films, some just seem to blend together.

Glad you liked it, Lucky.

You too, Watashi - I expected strong opinions from you (I would have been disappointed otherwise). Cutting "Gaston" was HARD - I had it in the list almost till the end, but it just missed out on the final list. And as much as I like "Part of Your World," it's just not one of those that sticks with me like the others. I admit that some of the songs are in their place on the list simply due to personal connection.

This makes the ranking (and sometimes, outright inclusion or exclusion) of certain songs seem out of place to a general opinion, but I couldn't worry about that. I've done that too much in the past and I really wanted to be true to me this time. It's the biggest project of its type I've ever tackled.

(To be honest, I'm shocked I finished it) :)

Thanks again, guys.