PDA

View Full Version : They Came Together (David Wain)

eternity
06-27-2014, 09:08 PM
imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2398249/)

http://s3-ak.buzzfeed.com/static/2014-01/enhanced/webdr07/14/9/original-10114-1389708290-16.jpg

eternity
06-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Yes. Everything about this movie. Yes.

Sycophant
06-30-2014, 04:51 PM
Tell me about it.

(Including the poster.)

eternity
07-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Tell me about it.

Well, you came in here looking like crap and you haven't said very much.

Lazlo
07-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Hey.

Qrazy
07-09-2014, 03:39 AM
Meh, the concept would have worked better as a short I think. The film is as it's best when it abandons the overt meta-parody and just goes for broke... pole up the ass, crashing out a window playing catch, etc.

number8
07-18-2014, 01:49 PM
"Wait, is this the same guy who took a shit in his Halloween costume?"

Lazlo
07-18-2014, 02:48 PM
"Wait, is this the same guy who took a shit in his Halloween costume?"

"So who do you think it was?"

EvilShoe
08-19-2014, 06:33 AM
Bit mixed on this. Wet Hot American Summer is one of my favourite comedies, and it was foolish to think this would even get close.

Meloni stole the show, with his big scene others have mentioned.

Also very much enjoyed the Michael Shannon cameo.

And of course there's the brilliance of Bill Hader's Gettin' all up in that pussy hole line.

Ivan Drago
08-20-2014, 01:23 AM
That is a glorious poster.

dreamdead
09-07-2014, 02:48 AM
The perfect kind of VOD rental where the laughs are consistent enough that you gloss over how fundamentally unnecessary a parody of romcoms is. Committed cast and some really oddball spots--love the follow-up joke to the mother's introduction to Rudd. And how thoroughly they played with the broad brushstrokes of character ("No way? You like fiction books, too?").

Still, though, this one just kinda crash-lands in the final moments, not knowing how to wrap up. Also, how did the writers not circle back to the amazing best black friend's relationship with Poehler's parents?

transmogrifier
09-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Terrible. Commits the worst sin possible for a comedy - it is not funny at all.

Rowland
09-10-2014, 08:14 AM
This is best when it stops smugly reminding us that it's shooting fish in a barrel and embraces the ZAZ-style anarchy to which it is clearly indebted. Unfortunately, too much of this doesn't work for me to give it a yay (Wain's undervalued Role Models is far superior), but at least my girlfriend and I busted a gut together over Michael Shannon getting nonchalantly shot point-blank range in the face.

quido8_5
09-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Sporadically hilarious and, at times, genuinely clever. The meta story was fantastic and who the hell doesn't wanna' spend an hour and a half with that cast. I probably liked it more than Wet Hot American Summer , though I was never to bug on that movie. If you're a fan of that movie; however, the likelihood of you liking it goes up quite a bit. Definitely the most I've laughed out loud this year.

**.5/****(M)

Kurosawa Fan
11-17-2014, 06:14 PM
I'm with Qrazy. This is funny only when it stops swinging at the low-hanging fruit of the romantic comedy genre and instead gets weird for no real reason whatsoever (costume shitting and the fallout, sword-wielding Shannon and shooting, bartender conversation, "shut the fuck up and sit down," Cup of Joel reveal). The shots at the genre are tired at this point, and not terrible sharp. Disappointing, but worth a rental on a slow Sunday.

Henry Gale
01-05-2015, 12:12 AM
This is funny only when it stops swinging at the low-hanging fruit of the romantic comedy genre and instead gets weird for no real reason whatsoever (costume shitting and the fallout, sword-wielding Shannon and shooting, bartender conversation, "shut the fuck up and sit down," Cup of Joel reveal). The shots at the genre are tired at this point, and not terrible sharp. Disappointing, but worth a rental on a slow Sunday.

A slow Sunday this was, and I really laughed a lot with it. I agree the overtly absurd stuff is better than just the convention-warping, but I feel like they both work better when framed alongside one another.

It can be hit and miss in certain patches, but the highs are already retroactively erasing the lows from my memory, and this is probably the biggest role Jason Mantzoukas has been given in a film to date (or at least, in a more natural comedic voice to him than his standout work in The Dictator), so for that alone, well worth a recommend to anyone that's already made their way through 2014's bigger cream-of-the-crop-talent comedies, or really has ever loved anything Wain & co. have done in the past. Ridiculous in the finest of ways.