PDA

View Full Version : Turn (Season 1)

Sxottlan
05-26-2014, 06:03 AM
https://soniaunleashed.files.wordpress .com/2014/04/tumblr_static_turn_cast.jpg?w= 800

Sxottlan
05-26-2014, 06:39 AM
Starting the thread now, but the season is almost over. It's been good so far. Not seeing any chatter about it though.

You'd think something like the revolution would be well-known for being fraught with ambiguity. But watching this I realize that's something that just never occurred to me. Not that I'm a big student of the Revolutionary War. I love history, but that time period has never really appealed to me. That was starting to change however even before this show started.

The show does try to get a lot of mileage out of the idea that what you're seeing isn't really new for spy thrillers, but it was new for that time period. And generally it works.

Jamie Bell is fine as the lead, but I think the best work so far is by Kevin McNally as his father, a loyalist town magistrate. He obeys the law, but it seems he does notice the gradual injustices building up in the system. The British "spy" master does look a little too much like Tom Hiddleston's stunt double that it's distracting.

Production values are great. Looks like they film in Virginia, maybe Williamsburg? Cinematography is also fantastic. Love the opening credits.