PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors (Nicholas Stoller)

TGM
05-09-2014, 09:35 PM
NEIGHBORS

Director: Nicholas Stoller

imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2004420/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9-RygtcIj-0/U2a2EO_f5OI/AAAAAAAABqw/Z5VIxokabOM/s1600/Neighbors-Movie-Poster.jpg

TGM
05-09-2014, 09:36 PM
This movie was seriously hilarious. Far more than I was honestly expecting. I think I may have laughed more here than at This Is The End.

Pop Trash
05-10-2014, 07:13 AM
I didn't find it nearly as funny or interesting as This Is The End. It is often pretty funny though, even if it seemed to be directed by a 17-year-old. I'm weary of Seth Rogen heading down the path of cinema du Adam Sandler.

Mal
05-10-2014, 02:07 PM
I didn't find it nearly as funny or interesting as This Is The End. It is often pretty funny though, even if it seemed to be directed by a 17-year-old. I'm weary of Seth Rogen heading down the path of cinema du Adam Sandler.
All of this.

Boner M
05-10-2014, 03:47 PM
If this doesn't make Rose Byrne a megastar, nothing will, and everything sucks.

Film's ok.

Watashi
05-10-2014, 04:36 PM
The film has some of the most unfunny trailers I've ever seen.

I'm done with Rogen.

eternity
05-11-2014, 04:05 AM
This was boring.

Henry Gale
05-14-2014, 04:03 AM
Solidly hilarious, extremely fun, with a pretty much perfect ensemble. Probably beat for beat the funniest movie Stoller's made yet, even if Sarah Marshall and Five-Year Engagement spent more time building more unique stories.

If for some reason they hadn't already, I can't imagine anyone watching this and not falling in love with Rose Byrne. Rogen and Efron play off each other really genuinely in the grounded bonding scenes and then lock into just the right strand of goofiness when they're at each other throats, Dave Franco is as funny as ever, and bit parts from Jason Mantzoukas and Hannibal Buress made me wish there was ways for them to have been in it more, but then there's Jerrod Carmichael and Ike Barinholtz who just might be the MVPs of the whole thing.

It's just so consistently funny and quietly ambitious in how it treats its relationships, but mostly just sets out to be funny in every single scene while still manages to fit in just the right character and story moments in very fast, straightforwardly parsable ways while jokes and visual gags are still swirling in their midst.

It's not the greatest comedy in the sense that it's transgressive or innovative for the sub-genres it fits into, but it's still something of a perfect comedy in terms of how well it hits the contently basic marks it sets out to, all while delivering as the big, studio, Summer comedy that it is.

Bottom line: The most I've laughed in a theatre all year. And that's high praise in a year that's already bestowed The Raid 2 upon us.

*** / 7.7

number8
05-15-2014, 03:19 AM
Shrug. Moderately funny, but aggressively low stakes. The contrast of a frat boy who's scared of growing old and an old couple who's scared of not being young is an interesting angle that I didn't think the film would shoot for, but it's only sporadically in there, and resolves in the easiest conclusion imaginable. I might like it more if it spends more time on that than all those painfully unfunny CGI slapstick.

Ezee E
07-25-2014, 01:50 AM
I feel like 40 minutes was cut out of this in how it was edited.

Short and sweet. Consistently funny. But pretty dopey otherwise.

Rose Byrne though... Loved her. She bonded well with Seth Rogen. It was Zac Efron who really didn't contribute anything, and no harm to him. He just had a character that really was predictable the entire way through and had no funny gags beyond his batman call.

Mehbors.

Dukefrukem
09-27-2014, 01:36 AM
Nah... didn't find this that funny really. Franco and Efron didn't jive well. Byrne felt really out of place.

This needed Hill or McBride somehow. Maybe if McBride was in the role of Barinholtz?

Pineapple Express >>>>> This is the End >>>>>>>> This.

Pop Trash
09-27-2014, 08:53 PM
Nah... didn't find this that funny really. Franco and Efron didn't jive well. Byrne felt really out of place.

This needed Hill or McBride somehow. Maybe if McBride was in the role of Barinholtz?

Pineapple Express >>>>> This is the End >>>>>>>> This.

Agree except Rose Byrne a) she's actually a very good comedic actress in both this and Bridesmaids and b) I like the way they wrote her character. She could have easily been a typical emasculating, nagging wife but she's completely into the shenanigans with Rogen and I liked seeing a functional marriage on screen where the couple legitimately seems like they are BFFs with each other.

Dukefrukem
09-27-2014, 09:05 PM
Agree except Rose Byrne a) she's actually a very funny comedic actress in both this and Bridesmaids and b) I like the way they wrote her character. She could have easily been a typical emasculating, nagging wife but she's completely into the shenanigans with Rogen and I liked seeing a functional marriage on screen where the couple legitimately seems like they are BFFs with each other.

Yeh she's into it, but it doesn't work. It seemed off. I just don't think Byrne and Rogan jived well.

quido8_5
09-28-2014, 08:12 PM
So, I have to come down with a surprisingly strong 'Yay'. Sure, it's pedantic and a little obvious, but it handles the material nicely and is consistently funny. I actually thought the acting was one the highlights. The chemistry is a little off in all the relationships, but I'm not sure that's unrealistic. Both Byrne and Efron give strong performances (which, the latter: who the fuck knew?) and I give them much of the credit for making the relationships believable.

It's a good time.

***\****(M)

Ezee E
09-29-2014, 10:06 PM
Yeh she's into it, but it doesn't work. It seemed off. I just don't think Byrne and Rogan jived well.

Scenes speed by so fast that we never really see them as a couple. Instead it's just improv skits on SNL almost.

Kurosawa Fan
11-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Rose Byrne was the only bright spot in this pile of mediocrity. I think I laughed twice.