PDA

View Full Version : For Your Consideration: Cutties 2014

Mara
05-07-2014, 10:05 PM
Once again, we're gearing up for the most prestigious, relevant, and respected television awards in the world. Voting will be in early June and the awards ceremony will be in late June.

As a reminder, you do not need to have seen all the shows to participate. You just need to have an opinion and a certain amount of arrogance. You already have that. You're on Match Cut.

This is your three week warning to get caught up on relevant shows that you've been meaning to watch. In order to be considered, the season must have premiered between June 2013 and May 2014.

I am trying to cull the list to shows that might actually be nominated, so please add which shows you think you might want to vote for, and I will add them to the list. If nobody nominated a show for anything last year, I have pulled it off the list. It can be reinstated by request if you are planning on voting for the show in a category.

COMEDY
Adventure Time S5
Broad City S1
Brooklyn 99 S1
Check it Out with Dr. Steve Brule S3
Childrens Hospital S5
Community S5
Cougar Town S5
Eagleheart: Paradise Rising S3
Eastbound & Down S4
Girls S3
How I Met Your Mother S9
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia S9
Louie S4
Modern Family S5
New Girl S4
NTSF:SD:SUV:: S3
Orange is the New Black S1
Parks and Recreation S6
Playing House S1
Review with Forrest MacNeil S1
Silicon Valley S1
Suburgatory S3
The Heart, She Holler S2
The Mindy Project S2
The Returned S1
The Spoils of Babylon
Trophy Wife S1
Veep S3

DRAMA
24: Live Another Day
American Horror Story S3
Arrow S2
Boardwalk Empire S4
Breaking Bad S5 Part II
Doctor Who S7 (The Day of the Doctor and The Time of the Doctor only!)
Downton Abbey S4
Fargo S1
Game of Thrones S4
Hannibal S2
Homeland S3
House of Cards S2
Justified S5
Luther S3
Mad Men S7 Part I
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S1
Masters of Sex S1
Orphan Black S2
Parenthood S5
Peaky Blinders S1
Penny Dreadful S1
Scandal S3
Sherlock S3
Sleepy Hollow S1
Sons of Anarchy S6
The Americans S2
The Bridge S1
The Good Wife S5
The Walking Dead S4
Treme S4
True Blood S6
True Detective S1

ANIMATED
Archer S5
Axe Cop S1
Bob's Burgers S4
Family Guy S12
Rick & Morty S2
South Park S17
Steven Universe S1
The Legend of Korra S2
The Venture Bros. S5

TALK SHOW
Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe
Conan
Craig Ferguson
Drunk History S1
Jimmy Kimmel Live
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
Late Night with Jimmy Fallon
Late Night with Seth Meyers
Real Time With Bill Maher
The Jeselnik Offensive
The Colbert Report
The Daily Show
The Eric Andre Show
The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon
Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell

VARIETY/SKETCH SHOW
@Midnight
Comedy Bang! Bang!
Inside Amy Schumer
Key & Peele
Kroll Show
Portlandia
Saturday Night Live

DOCUMENTARY
Cosmos

Notes:

Don't forget there is a "cancelled too soon" category.

Don't forget that some categories don't reflect on the overall quality of the show. If you think a terrible show had the best costume design, put it in the pool.

Lucky
05-07-2014, 10:12 PM
How is it time for this again?!

Tempus fugit, indeed.

EyesWideOpen
05-07-2014, 10:33 PM
I would put Check it Out just in the Comedy section.

Winston*
05-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Does The Returned count? It premiered in France in 2012, but it was first aired in English speaking countries during this period.

Henry Gale
05-07-2014, 11:25 PM
Yeah, Check It Out! in Comedy makes the most sense (though Eric Andre Show is still as hard to place as ever), and if we're still doing a Reality/Documentary category, I'd that's the most suited place for Cosmos.

I'd say Adventure Time should be in Animated, and you can also now add Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, Fallon's Tonight Show and Late Night with Seth Meyers to Talk Show.

Others:

COMEDY
Broad City S1
Eagleheart: Paradise Rising (S3)
The Heart, She Holler S2
Hello Ladies S1
Looking S1
NTSF:SD:SUV:: S3
Review with Forrest MacNeil S1
The Spoils of Babylon

DRAMA
The Bridge S1
True Blood S6... (I dunno, maybe a performance nod sneaks in?)

ANIMATED
Axe Cop (Cancelled Too Soon!) S1
The Venture Bros. S5

VARIETY/SKETCH SHOW
Drunk History S1

And I guess the always enjoyable @Midnight works in Variety/Sketch, since it's basically less of either and more a comedy game show than even more talky British panel shows are.

Mara
05-08-2014, 12:02 AM
Does The Returned count? It premiered in France in 2012, but it was first aired in English speaking countries during this period.

I'm okay with it if everyone else is. It is on Netflix and on my to-watch list.

Mara
05-08-2014, 12:04 AM
I am including Peaky Blinders even though it hasn't shown in the U.S. yet and possibly still could, because I know a number of us watched it this year. (Because it was GREAT.)

Dukefrukem
05-08-2014, 12:25 AM
All I need is arrogance? I'm in!

amberlita
05-08-2014, 02:31 AM
Don't understand the dates. June 2012 - May 2013 means that a lot of things on that list aren't eligible. 24, Cosmos, Fargo...all premiered this year.

Winston*
05-08-2014, 02:59 AM
Don't understand the dates. June 2012 - May 2013 means that a lot of things on that list aren't eligible. 24, Cosmos, Fargo...all premiered this year.

I imagine Mara copied it from last year's thread and just forgot to change the date.

I didn't notice because we're a year behind in my country.

Winston*
05-08-2014, 03:01 AM
Also, add Steven Universe to animated. People should watch this: it's great!

Henry Gale
05-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Also, add Steven Universe to animated. People should watch this: it's great!

Ooh, have yet to fully check this out. The bits I've seen have left me to believe it is my sort of thing.

After years of being discouraged by the selection of television kids have these days (mainly stuff of the cheesy, vapid multi-camera sitcom variety), I like that things (particularly on Cartoon Network) seem to be skewing weirder, more mature and even densely layered. Almost reminds of the Spielberg-shepherded prime of Kids' WB! from when I was a youngster.

Mara
05-08-2014, 10:39 AM

Oops.

ledfloyd
05-08-2014, 05:50 PM
It's time already?

Parenthood S5
Scandal S3

I think you have everything else I would consider voting for.

Mara
05-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Updated, and I included Penny Dreadful S1. It starts Sunday and would only have a few episodes to qualify, but it counts.

Lazlo
05-09-2014, 04:53 PM
People should check out Playing House on USA, Tuesdays at 10. The pilot was alright but the second episode had me in stitches. It's written by and stars Jessica St. Clair and Lennon Parham and co-stars Keegan Michael Key and Zach Woods (The Office and Silicon Valley). Definitely should be considered.

Gizmo
05-12-2014, 10:33 PM
damn, i hate being a season behind on almost everything.

Acapelli
06-06-2014, 06:35 AM
People should check out Playing House on USA, Tuesdays at 10. The pilot was alright but the second episode had me in stitches. It's written by and stars Jessica St. Clair and Lennon Parham and co-stars Keegan Michael Key and Zach Woods (The Office and Silicon Valley). Definitely should be considered.
this is the only place i saw this mentioned, but i'm loving this

love jessica st. clair and lennon parham