PDA

View Full Version : 24: Live Another Day

number8
05-06-2014, 03:02 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/7d3a70d8bf952544e9ad9cf5178628 74/tumblr_mzctjci30p1togudro1_128 0.jpg

Stray thoughts:

- Look at that cast. So many British who's whos, although I was surprised to see that there's a season set in London and John Boyega plays an American.

- Chloe is Edward Snowden with a dragon tattoo. That's kinda funny.

- Jack hates wikileaks. I guess that's about right.

- Not-Claire-Danes is kind of annoying.

- I feel like they're pushing really hard on this idea that this is a different kind of 24 because Jack is a rogue agent who works alone. But he's been like that since the first season. The situation is more dire for him, but the dynamic is still the same old.

- 24 usually has Jack doing something violently nuts in the first episode or two to get you in the mood. Kinda surprised we didn't really get anything like that in the premiere. That's probably why I thought it was a tame comeback, so far. Maybe hacking and drones are just too impersonal for the kind of physical show 24 is.

MadMan
05-07-2014, 07:36 AM
I liked it when Jack beat up three people while handcuffed. So far so good, although this show hasn't been great since Season 5.

Dukefrukem
05-07-2014, 12:44 PM
- 24 usually has Jack doing something violently nuts in the first episode or two to get you in the mood. Kinda surprised we didn't really get anything like that in the premiere. That's probably why I thought it was a tame comeback, so far. Maybe hacking and drones are just too impersonal for the kind of physical show 24 is.

So true. He didn't bite anyone's ear off, or scream "we don't have time" or use the phrase "Damn it Chloe!" BUT he did have surgical implants!

MadMan
05-08-2014, 07:31 AM
He did say damnit though.

number8
05-13-2014, 01:07 PM
So true. He didn't bite anyone's ear off, or scream "we don't have time" or use the phrase "Damn it Chloe!" BUT he did have surgical implants!

Shooting random innocents and starting a riot: counts.

Dukefrukem
05-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Shooting random innocents and starting a riot: counts.

:lol:

I was 1 week behind before last night. I can't believe that scene exists.

MadMan
05-20-2014, 11:26 PM
The riot scene was hilarious. I can't wait to watch last night's episode. I really hate working Monday nights.

number8
05-21-2014, 02:50 AM
Catelyn Stark is coooooooold.

MadMan
05-21-2014, 04:42 AM
Yeah I figured that when the dumbass husband said you can hurt me all you want that evil mama would instead harm her own child.

Also I really liked how this episode relied on suspense throughout. When Heller learned of Jack taking hostages I thought "Season 5 Jack? Season 6? Or Season 8?" They've mentioned all three I think this season.

number8
07-04-2014, 06:30 PM
The drop in people's enthusiasm for this is staggering.

EvilShoe
07-05-2014, 10:43 AM
I'm still really enjoying this. There just isn't that much to discuss.

Thirdmango
07-07-2014, 03:44 AM
I dunno, I don't really see it as staggering. People aren't as invested anymore in the show, there was a long time between seasons mainly due to the fact that everyone knew it was done and over with. Now they're doing false finishes and so the drop between the last two episodes I would imagine is high because of that. This week's episode was so implausible and had so many oh know who's this now that they actually had to have Chloe have an entire 2 sentences explaining who someone was in the series past. 24 is an adrenaline show. Once they give them a stop in the adrenaline of course there's a drop.

Dukefrukem
07-10-2014, 01:00 AM
The drop in people's enthusiasm for this is staggering.

I took 4 weeks off and just caught up tonight. Best 24 scene ever?

" The only death tonight on my head is yours"

Seroiusly I dont remember being that excited watching a 24 scene in a long time. Maybe when Jack bit the throat of the terrorist in season 6?

MadMan
07-14-2014, 05:22 PM
I love this season. I just don't have the time or the energy to discuss it like I used to.

Philip J. Fry
07-15-2014, 08:45 PM
"I'm not going to remember that I had a daughter... I'm not going to remember anything".

Fantastic ending to the season. Is this the end of the line for Jack?

MadMan
07-20-2014, 11:59 PM
Yeah it might be the end. I want more though. This season was fantastic.

Morris Schæffer
07-21-2014, 08:18 PM
Just finished the season. I enjoyed it, even if I had hoped for something a bit less bombastic and perhaps something a bit less formulaic. Many are saying the 12-hour format cuts out the fat, and to an extend this is true, but I also miss the days when tension come out of the characters and their interaction. This one goes all out, but I was never big on 24 when it tried to shoehorn in explosive situation after another. A TV series, not financed by HBO, isn't really suited to huge set pieces anyway and although the FX aren't bad at all, it got a little ridiculous rather than thrilling. That said, the final episode hit a couple of emotional highs that I could have predicted, but still carried some power when they happened. I'd watch more Bauer if it came back on.

EvilShoe
07-24-2014, 11:46 AM
I liked the ending, but I'm a bit disappointed they rehashed the ending of.... um... was it season 5? When the Koreans grabbed him?

Vipper VI
07-24-2014, 04:03 PM
I liked the ending, but I'm a bit disappointed they rehashed the ending of.... um... was it season 5? When the Koreans grabbed him?

I noticed that, too; however, I think in this case they were banking on the fact that Jack was volunteering himself, giving himself up for someone who's been with him for such a long time. In that capacity I found it very effective, but part of me thinks there was another way to do it such that it didn't have that hint of rehashing.

Thirdmango
07-24-2014, 08:23 PM
I think this was the fan-service anime season of 24.

Dukefrukem
08-17-2014, 12:24 AM
So how does this rank in the 24 universe? I don't think I had as much fun since Season 4. Epic final boss battle.

I wonder if they are thinking about a 2nd 12 episode run.

Philip J. Fry
08-17-2014, 12:47 AM
Below seasons 1 and 5, on level with 3 and 8, above the rest.