PDA

View Full Version : Cosmos

number8
03-10-2014, 02:56 PM
https://24.media.tumblr.com/f5765fb2372be44cbbe6701b82e5c2 ba/tumblr_n28347nf5S1r9gupyo1_500 .gif

So the reboot was pretty awesome. I like that it kept a lot of the same talking points and visuals from the original (Cosmic calendar being the most noticeable) but with better special effects. Brannon Braga's directing really brought that Star Trek-ness of it forward.

I was a tad surprised that it came out fists up and villainized Catholics already in the first episode. I mean, it's history, sure, but didn't expect them to go so far as to try to heavy-handedly compare religious martyrdom to people who were inquisition-ed for questioning creationism. Tyson actually called Giordano Bruno a "martyr" at one point, and showed him in a crucifix stance when he was seeing the cosmos.

There were some potentially incendiary moments, too, like how the image of Jesus was shoved in Bruno's face as he's being burned at the stake, and Bruno turned his face away, and it's depicted as a heroic moment.

You have to give Seth MacFarlane a lot of credit on this. Tyson and Druyan had been trying to get this project going for almost 2 decades, and no network wanted it. It was MacFarlane who then said, "I'll produce it and get it on the air, because at this point FOX will literally let me do anything." And that's apparently true, given how big this reboot is, with the worldwide simulcast and all.

number8
03-10-2014, 03:02 PM
Also, that Sagan anecdote at the end...

Dukefrukem
03-10-2014, 03:06 PM
I loved it, except for the first 20 minutes. It took a little bit to get going, but they really dragged out the animation with the imagination ship going through the solar system. But I understand they are trying to start a baseline. I read the title of the next 12 episodes and it looks fun.

ledfloyd
03-10-2014, 04:46 PM
I loved it, except for the first 20 minutes. It took a little bit to get going, but they really dragged out the animation with the imagination ship going through the social system. But I understand they are trying to start a baseline. I read the title of the next 12 episodes and it looks fun.

Yeah, I had the same problem, but considering a lot of kids may be watching it, I'm willing to give it a little leeway in that regard.

Not entirely sure how I feel about raising Bruno to martyr status, especially since he wasn't really a scientist, but the rest was great.

Loved Neil putting on shades to watching the Big Bang.

Dukefrukem
03-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Social System Duke? Solar System!

number8
03-10-2014, 06:49 PM
Not entirely sure how I feel about raising Bruno to martyr status, especially since he wasn't really a scientist, but the rest was great.

I wasn't sure at first, but I think I get what they were aiming for. It's an introductory episode, and you can pretty much sum up everything they're talking about in the first ep as embracing how tiny we are in the infinite nature of space-time and nurturing the curiosity to keep exploring that infinity rather than be content with only what's around us, because that is often the spark that's necessary for science to start moving in that direction. Science, after all, is about constantly proving or disproving ideas and revising facts to reflect what we know to be true, which is why theological certainty is the enemy of science. As such, Bruno's story is a great example of this struggle. Here's someone who had no scientific background or application but was unwilling to just accept facts as told to him, and had an idea of what to explore, which Galileo later would. This is a pretty important lesson for the show's mission statement. You want kids and future generations to not be afraid to question things.

ledfloyd
03-10-2014, 09:28 PM
As such, Bruno's story is a great example of this struggle. Here's someone who had no scientific background or application but was unwilling to just accept facts as told to him, and had an idea of what to explore, which Galileo later would. This is a pretty important lesson for the show's mission statement. You want kids and future generations to not be afraid to question things.
I think you could've gotten the same point across by focusing on Galileo, whose battle with the church was inspired by scientific observations he had made.

amberlita
03-10-2014, 10:18 PM
I don't think they chose Bruno because he wasn't a scientist, as a way to encourage anybody to question the status quo. They chose him because he was a man of faith. I suspect they wanted to soothe any anxieties people might have that a show like this would set about trying to subtly debunk the existence of God. So to begin the show, they highlighted a man whose faith was made stronger by championing these scientific notions. They were wooing the faithful. "Look at this man of God! You don't have to lose your faith to embrace scientific reason."

Which is indeed why I found that small motion of Bruno turning away from the crucifix a little odd.

Anyway, I thought it was fantastic as well. Super excited about science! I hope people like it. Loved the Cosmic Calendar Year. I hadn't seen the original Sagan COSMOS, but Neil deGrasse Tyson repeatedly mentions that a walkway following that same year leads around the Hayden Planetarium.

Might have been a dumb move to put Obama's face up top though. Way to immediately alienate half your viewing audience.

p.s. if you have the time, this is a fun watch. extremely impressive panel they gathered. this is part 2. part 1 is twice as long and only really good for Neil deGrass Tyson and Bill Nye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40YIIaF1qiw

EyesWideOpen
03-18-2014, 12:58 AM
I love this show.

Sxottlan
03-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Never saw the original, but really liking this so far. It's been long enough since I was in school that I appreciate the refresher course. Loving the sleek design of the "ship of imagination."

And already by episode two we have Tyson going toe to toe with a wolf and winning.

Dukefrukem
03-18-2014, 11:48 AM
I guess the show isn't doing well between adults 18-49 because it's not American Idol.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/03/17/tv-ratings-sunday-resurrection-the-mentalist-revenge-down-believe-tumbles-mediocre-premiere-for-crisis/245084/

ledfloyd
03-18-2014, 01:19 PM
I thought that was a pretty good primer on natural and artificial selection. Dug this episode slightly more than the first. Parts still feel a bit haphazard, but when trying to compress the cosmos into 13 hours that's going to happen.

Neclord
03-18-2014, 06:24 PM
I hear a lot about how this is so far just reiterating things everyone should know by now, but I still feel like it's always valuable to have fundamental concepts clearly and creatively illustrated, and there are a lot of people who aren't so aware that may be reached by doing so. I think it's lovely so far.

Spinal
03-25-2014, 12:43 AM
I think the series is succeeding at being precisely what it is intended to be: a science primer for a wide audience. It's one thing to say that everyone should know these things. But polls consistently indicate that too many people don't. And the consequences of this ignorance are enormous. Not everyone can be an expert, so being able to put complicated ideas into non-intimidating language is extremely valuable. And the graceful dismissals of the worst of religious resistance are golden.

number8
03-25-2014, 02:14 AM
Oh god the galaxy dance at the end of the last ep. Alan Silvestri is rocking the score on this show.

Spinal
03-25-2014, 06:02 AM
Yeah, I teared up a little.

number8
03-25-2014, 02:49 PM
By the way, about the show's primer approach to explaining science... Here's NDT debating it with Richard Dawkins many years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxff0k_TEzI

[ETM]
03-25-2014, 03:30 PM
I love the score, from the first note on. Silvestri rules.

Spinal
03-25-2014, 06:48 PM
By the way, about the show's primer approach to explaining science... Here's NDT debating it with Richard Dawkins many years ago:

That was awesome. Love Dawkins' response as well.

number8
04-03-2014, 02:09 PM
I'm so glad I watched that latest episode sober.

Dukefrukem
04-16-2014, 04:33 PM
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/fa1a1c8fb7/creationist-cosmos

Dead & Messed Up
04-21-2014, 06:08 AM
Oh god the galaxy dance at the end of the last ep. Alan Silvestri is rocking the score on this show.

Yeah, I teared up a little.

Yeah.

This show is fast becoming one of my favorite things.

Dead & Messed Up
05-13-2014, 06:19 PM
Anybody else still watching? I am. Love this show dearly. It's my favorite thing on TV.

Dukefrukem
05-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Not really related but related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2inExgT77s&feature=share

Dead & Messed Up
05-22-2014, 07:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFTaiWInZ44

And barely related to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spB3pKOP6FE

Sxottlan
05-26-2014, 05:50 AM
The end of "The Immortals" actually got me misty-eyed.

number8
06-09-2014, 03:08 PM
Beautiful finale. Got to watch it in a bar and Neil dropped in virtually to say hi.

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10419403_735702420616_90482124 79662192583_n.jpg

In the end I do find it a bit too beholden to Sagan's version, but I don't even care. Perfect way to end this series, down to the shot of the empty chair. The amount of furor this series has caused (a ridiculous fact to begin with) is worth every effort in making it.