PDA

View Full Version : Hannibal (Season 2)

Mara
02-28-2014, 03:22 PM
Haters to the left.

Henry Gale
02-28-2014, 03:34 PM
Oh so very excited.

I guess I should've said something amongst 8's dissatisfaction with it that even though my afterthoughts were super positive, I did find the first season to get more and more thematically enticing and then relentlessly atmospheric as it went on, with more issues I had early on falling by the wayside. But I guess if anyone doesn't even like the first half of Season 1, I don't exactly where the lack of engagement might be from a subjective standpoint. If it's the procedural bend, that falls away and comes together like, say, a great season of Justified would.

What I'm getting at is: WATCH DIS SHO, PPL. IT IS BACK.

Winston*
03-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Great start.

:eek: at shot of that guy waking up surrounded by bodies

Mara
03-01-2014, 11:34 PM
Excellent first episode. I was very curious how they were going to reorganize the dynamics, but it worked for me. The flash-forward first scene was a really great choice.

Scar
03-03-2014, 01:26 AM
Great start.

:eek: at shot of that guy waking up surrounded by bodies

Loved it, but immediately thought of Jeepers Creepers

Mara
03-15-2014, 02:19 AM
Holy crap Hannibal's red and black checked suit. I mean he's a psycho killer and all but hot damn.

Mara
03-15-2014, 02:23 AM
I guess I didn't comment on the last episode. It was solid. Many of the visuals were great.

Mara
03-15-2014, 02:41 AM
Oh, and I spent the first five minutes last week covering my eyes and trying not to hear ripping flesh because that crap was nasty.

Neclord
03-15-2014, 08:31 AM
I watched the previous episode again last night and cringed just about as much as I did the first time around.

Mara
04-05-2014, 03:01 AM
HOLY CRAP

Winston*
04-06-2014, 08:47 PM
Felt sure we were going to find Alana Bloom in that hole.

Henry Gale
04-11-2014, 01:19 AM
I've been about a week or two behind for much of this season, in small part because even though I'm way more tolerant of gore than most people I know, this show somehow finds ways of forcing me to opt out during scenes like the main Amanda Plummer one in the middle of the honeycomb episode and not return for days, but I pulled myself together and caught up aaaaand wow.

These last few episodes were absolutely excellent and feel almost like the perfect distillation the entire creative identity of the series. So perfectly threaded from its mythology (past, present and future), intertwining plotlines, its character relationships, the often unbelievable bursts of surreal wordless visual wonder (which might be the most reliable aspect of any show airing right now for me), the unexpected pitch-black funny spurts, and how everything congeals together to become something so overwhelmingly, morbidly gorgeous and intriguing to no end.

If I wasn't watching this, everything above might read like a hyperbole machine coughed up a furball, but I just can't believe how much more room to impress this series ongoingly carves out for itself.

Mara
04-13-2014, 01:08 AM
Okay, I know a lot of important stuff happened this episode, but every time Will was on screen, I kept yelling "Get a haircut! You look ridiculous!"

And then he did. And I'm so happy.

slqrick
04-15-2014, 04:34 PM
I cannot believe some of the stuff they get away with on this show. Only three episodes into the season, and it's just wow.

Henry Gale
04-21-2014, 08:06 AM
Maybe my favourite so far this season. I know the stunningly disconcerting visual dressing is pretty inherent to the series' DNA at this point, but I thought Vincenzo Natali crafted some particularly remarkable moments that blended those gorgeously heightened, glamour shot-filled pieces with central dramatic action in this episode. Very few shows really use television as such a strictly sensory medium quite as effectively as this one, and it's unnerving and exhilarating all at once.

Not to mention how the core character dynamics and plotting are so excellently, uniquely twined right now. Knowing where it's generally going to go somehow doesn't relieve it of any significant tension.

And that final scene just basically just found a way to bring everything I love about the series right now together in such an intensely gratifying way, with that line at the end just nicely throwing another dizzying wallop at everything. For a show that often has bits that are so hard to watch, it sure finds a strange way of making me wish it wouldn't end.

Mara
04-28-2014, 01:16 AM
I can't figure out if Will is legitimately becoming more like Hannibal, or if he is acting out the part (getting into the head) of someone who is becoming more like Hannibal in order to get close enough to try and catch him. Or a combination of the two. But the games within games these two are playing have me totally hooked.

The killer of the week plot was a little silly, though. Worth it to end where we did.

I'm fascinated that we're meeting the Vergers, who I remember a bit from the books and films, of which I have read/seen about half. The girl playing Margot was fantastic on Supernatural, playing a character who first seemed very innocent with that round baby face she has, and then get very dark and scary later on. This part has a similar dichotomy between how pretty and put-together she looks, versus what a total disaster she is.

So, I figured out a thing! I was so pleased Will got a haircut a few episodes ago but I didn't really think about why. But in this episode, he went even further and has started dressing really well. His coat in the last scenes was freaking dapper. Will has always dressed like a mountain man after an all-night moonshine party, while of course Hannibal is impeccable to the point of absurdity. (His red and black checkered suit with the flowered tie for when he testified at Will's trial was like something a dandy from another era would wear.) So, Will's more clean-cut, wealthy, and tailored look is mimicking Hannibal's outward mannerisms, just like his behavior is mimicking Hannibal's world-view. Synergy.

Gittes
04-29-2014, 02:29 AM
Mads is the best:

http://i.imgur.com/KXdwOWY.gif

http://i.imgur.com/Ft4EOJs.gif

http://i.imgur.com/G1IlNuO.gif

I'm sure most will recall the context, but just to be clear, the second .gif is his hilarious reaction to Will's question ("Is your social worker in that horse?"). In the last .gif, he's reacting to said social worker struggling out of the horse. The first .gif needs no explanation, although I somehow missed that bit during my viewing of the episode.

Our Aurora
05-01-2014, 12:31 AM
I wish Mads Mikkelsen had a cooking show.

Scar
05-01-2014, 12:44 AM
I wish Mads Mikkelsen had a cooking show.

YES.

slqrick
05-01-2014, 03:07 PM
The visual palette and cinematography on this show continues to amaze me. I'm expecting the show to get cancelled though.

Henry Gale
05-03-2014, 06:07 PM
The visual palette and cinematography on this show continues to amaze me. I'm expecting the show to get cancelled though.

The ratings seem to have been increasing to a point where they resemble what they were early in the first season, and there are so many international backers and sales tied into the production that'll likely keep it alive even if NBC were to drop it. Apparently outside interest to pick it up was a major factor in them keeping it this year.

So I'm cautiously optimistic, especially because at this point it's just too good to imagine it gone.

Mara
05-03-2014, 09:26 PM
... if he is acting out the part (getting into the head) of someone who is becoming more like Hannibal in order to get close enough to try and catch him.

This is where my money is now. I don't believe at all that Freddie is dead.

Why was Hannibal lounging around in his plastic suit? Did I miss that point?

And the four-way sex scene was just baffling to me. I have no idea what Margot wanted.

Mara
05-03-2014, 09:27 PM
I'm also not certain Abigail Hobbs is dead.

Gittes
05-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Why was Hannibal lounging around in his plastic suit? Did I miss that point?

He was at Freddie's place, waiting for her to return. So, Will saved Freddie's life (I agree with you; she's definitely alive).

Gittes
05-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Good news: the show has been renewed for a third season (http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/09/hannibal-renewed-season-3/).

http://31.media.tumblr.com/3be24d85189f73c6e93b4469d9bda9 28/tumblr_monfny0qEZ1rvs9wso2_500 .gif

Mara
05-09-2014, 06:52 PM
AH HELL YEAH.

This was the one I was most worried about. I would have been SO PISSED if it was cancelled.

Scar
05-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Huzzah!

Henry Gale
05-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Phew, the one glimmer of great TV news today.

If this was gone too, I'm not sure what I'd even be watching from the big four American networks other than late night stuff.

Mara
05-11-2014, 02:02 AM
I have no idea what Margot wanted.

Oh.

This episode was really upsetting for me, actually. Some pretty messed up stuff going on.

EvilShoe
05-11-2014, 08:28 AM
I'm liking the different energy Pitt is bringing to the show.

Gittes
05-11-2014, 03:56 PM
Mason Verger is really loathsome. Michael Pitt's obnoxious voice and mannerisms made him immediately unlikeable, and he's clearly becoming more odious with each passing episode.

Hannibal and Will's conversation about Abigail was one of the most fascinating scenes of the season. It's disarming whenever Hannibal demonstrates any shade of compunction. Also, after nearly two seasons of having him only obliquely refer to his darker side, it was interesting to see him discuss this with more candour. I like that Abigail hasn't been forgotten and that she still haunts and (in Will's case) motivates these two characters.

Given Hannibal's remarks about Will redirecting his compassion for Abigail toward his unborn child (a bizarre twist, but one that seems at home in a show that is so brazenly strange) and his apparent sympathy for Margot, I didn't expect him to toss all of that aside in favour of another manipulative ploy. This is what has been consistently frustrating and disturbing about the character. We receive certain gradations and nuances throughout the episodes, which ostensibly complicate a simplistic definition of Hannibal as evil incarnate, but then we're hit with scenes that remind us of the primacy of that simplistic definition. Hannibal is fundamentally a lucid and self-possessed monster who is never legitimately burdened by his pretensions to compassion and guilt. Right before her death, Abigail questioned Hannibal about some of his actions. I remember being really struck by the horrifying simplicity of his explanation: "I was curious."

These latest developments may be motivated by more than morbid curiosity, but they similarly adumbrate Hannibal's monstrosity. Hannibal despises Verger so he arranges to have him killed. While perusing another discussion, I noticed someone mention that Hannibal can't do this himself since the Chesapeake Ripper has been "caught" and a low profile is now necessary (is this a sound explanation, though?). So, as an alternative, he goads Will into killing Verger. From Hannibal's twisted perspective, Margot's hysterectomy becomes a "necessary" catalyst for this scenario (just as he deemed Abigail's death tragic but unavoidable). If Hannibal was solely interested in getting rid of Verger, surely there were other alternatives that would have left Margot unscathed. That's one of the really troubling things, of course... the gruesome details of this scenario (Margot's victimization, Will's reprisal) seem like the sort of specifics that would appeal to Hannibal's twisted sense of curiosity and mischief. There were surely simpler, less messy ways of removing Verger but, to Hannibal, such methods would be less interesting. It's not even clear whether Hannibal dislikes Verger more because of what he has done to Margot, or simply because he's turned off by the fact that he is such a deeply gauche and arrogant prick.

In other words, as Will clearly realizes, Hannibal and Verger's comeuppance is really overdue.

Henry Gale
05-17-2014, 03:55 PM
Damn. Never anticipated and dreaded a major character development so much all at once.

Knowing Verger's character history, I knew it was coming and looked forward to how the show would handle it. Then once it came, I was happy that even with my usual adjusted display settings for the show that it was lit pretty ominously. Not to mention any time such dark humour is injected into something that morbid, it always managed to hit a little harder for me.

But for those that want to see how it looked on set and in the make-up chair, Fuller posted these on Twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bn0MMqVIQAAvdWB.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnzjL4MIcAIUe69.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bn0LeTJIcAADQQ-.jpg

Also just a generally excellent episode. Everything's just coming together beautifully, and I love how even Hannibal potentially being caught still won't be a tight and easy thing that will necessarily break his hold or influence in his forced evolution of Will's psyche and capacity for violence.

Couldn't be looking forward to the finale more. Since I actually watched it live last night, I saw next week's preview, and even it was beautifully put together. Commercials really ruin the mood of this show though.

Gittes
05-17-2014, 06:10 PM
If you need a palate cleanser after viewing those gruesome images, here is a nice photograph of Will's canine companions (although, given the events of this latest episode, I guess this would conjure up some gruesome memories, too... on that note, I found it sad/moving that Winston was stationed on the porch when Will got home, suggesting that even he was perturbed/disturbed by what was happening inside).

http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/hannibal/gallery2/gallery13/hires/32.jpg

I don't think this show has traded in a lot of gratuitous, sexual objectification (I may be forgetting something), so our first glimpse of Margot this episode really stood out and seemed to be in poor taste. They essentially imbricated a moment of wounded vulnerability and blunt objectification by lingering on her scars and then, inexplicably, offering us a long shot of her in her underwear. Given where her storyline left off, this seemed like a really odd moment to decide to offer us a provocative shot of Katherine Isabelle. Of course, the context negates this, but the ostensible intention is still suspect and crass.

Otherwise, the episode was characteristically involving and featured more of the inventive visual style that distinguishes Hannibal (notably, the scene where Hannibal drugs Verger). The show certainly seems well-poised for a spectacular finale.

Mara
05-18-2014, 12:03 AM
Seriously, I cannot believe the level of gruesome on this show. And on a network, too. I had to cover my eyes or the screen a few different times.

But I cannot deny that this show has me on the hook. The ways that they're mixing up the canon (which I don't know extensively, but I do know some things) still manage to shock.

Barty
05-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Mother of god that finale.

Henry Gale
05-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Holy fucking shit on fire.

Just...

I am broken. Words no work right now.

Fuck the Red Wedding. Whatever you want to call this. This beats it tenfold. And it's even more devastating and lingeringly so because we're left not actually knowing who died and won't for maybe nine months.

Aaaaagh.

EDIT: I guess I should clarify these are somehow as positive thoughts as I can articulate right now. But seriously: Gatdamn!

Mara
05-24-2014, 03:51 PM
This show has always been visually arresting and dream-like, but this episode really went bananas. Half the scenes I am unclear if they really happened, or were just inside someone's head... not that it especially matters.

And I respect a show willing to yank around viewers, but even so, that ending was really cruel.

I don't want anyone to die, but Abigail seems the most disposable in terms of plot. Still, I would be frustrated if she was only brought back for a scene and a half without further explanation. And this show already killed off one of it's female leads, so it would be frustrating if Alana died. That leaves Jack and Will, who both seem unlikely? I dunno.

Also, Bedelia Du Maurier, you scamp.

Gittes
05-24-2014, 10:33 PM
Breaking Bad spoiler:

http://i.minus.com/i9ph4PQopJ5u9.gif

Gittes
05-25-2014, 02:05 AM
Anyway, as expected, it was a riveting finale, with no shortage of the show's usual florid excesses. I feel that they misfired a bit during the teaser, with the merging of the two separate frames to unnecessarily adumbrate Will's muddled loyalties. Then again, this formal self-indulgence is part of the fun, so maybe it's unfair to qualify this as a misfire instead of accepting it as part of the wider tapestry of unpredictable artistic choices. After all, the fascinating distinction of Hannibal is the elasticity of its aesthetic and narrative 'parameters,' which enables an assortment of aesthetic and narrative gambits, some of which are bound to be less interesting than others. The resulting phantasmagoria of pronounced idiosyncrasy and strangeness is still one of the best spectatorial pleasures that Hannibal offers.

I had a few reservations, though. I was hoping that the specific catalyst for Jack attacking Hannibal might be little bit more interesting. During the premiere, when we got our first glimpse of this confrontation, I assumed that some cataclysmic or revelatory event must have cleared away all of Jack's doubts. Instead, Jack submitted to the the increasing plausibility and logic of Will's accusations against Hannibal about five or six episodes ago (on that note, it seems that some believe that this change of heart wasn't addressed with enough depth, as I've noticed others argue that Jack's switch seemed perfunctory -- i.e., he didn't believe Will and then, suddenly, he did; I don't think the change was quite so brisk, however, but more of a gradual acceptance of an increasingly persuasive theory).

I also do not think that bringing Abigail back was a great idea, especially since it seems to deflate one of the series' most memorable moments. I'm referring to Hannibal's tearful reaction in front of Bedelia, whose interesting and affective power relies on Abigail actually having been murdered by Hannibal (I can't recall all of the specifics, so I guess his reaction might also have to do with his betrayal of Will, but I initially read it as having a lot to do with the loss of Abigail, which was interesting). Also, it's not great when writers seem so reluctant to commit to characters' dramatic conclusions. I would rather not have a scenario where a lot of characters' deaths are surrounded by scare quotes, leaving us to wonder if they're just waiting in the wings, awaiting their deployment in the next shocking plot-twist. Admittedly, bringing Abigail back did allow for some devastating dramatic rewards, even while it mollified some of what had already come to pass. For instance, I like what Bryan Fuller had to say (http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/24/hannibal-bryan-fuller-on-season-2s-shocking-end-and-big-changes-in-season-3) (warning: I haven't made my way through it all yet, so there may be some spoilers concerning the third season in that link) about Hannibal withdrawing the "gift" of Abigail and how he likens it to a petulant gesture:

Yes, and it's also the act of a heartbroken man. You know, it is the very ugly breakup, where you didn't want it. He didn't want any of this, so, “I'm destroying all of it and everything that we were supposed to have, I'm going to raze the Earth.” It such an almost adolescent reaction. “I'm taking my ball and going home!” or “I'm deflating the ball and going home.” But it's also, I think, an indicator of just how deeply Will Graham got through to Hannibal Lecter on an emotional, connective level, and the hurt of the betrayal.

Still, these ideas could have been communicated in other ways. Having Abigail brought back and then summarily killed in this really gruesome fashion just felt wrong in so many ways. Was it really necessary to have her return only to twist the knife a little deeper, as it were? Will was already haunted by Abigail's death and clearly resented Hannibal for it. Everything about her return seemed gratuitous and manipulative. I understand that it was also a nightmarish recapitulation of the first episode's traumatic conclusion, but this in no way warrants Abigail's return. Her story was tragic and haunting, and I liked how she continued to affect Will and Hannibal in different and complicated ways... this will continue, of course, but her return just adds a level of unnecessary gratuity and shock value to the storyline.

On another note, I liked the way that Hannibal gutting Will was this violent embrace...like a strange, lovelorn gesture of betrayal.

Anyway, this has been a great season. I'm kind of astounded, and greatly relieved, that we're getting a third season. I'm looking forward to the changes of the new season, which will inevitably be pretty considerable. Also, given the pedigree of this show, Hannibal and Bedelia's sojourn to Europe should yield some beautiful episodes.

slqrick
05-27-2014, 08:28 PM
Incredible finale. That was seriously better and more riveting than a lot of movies I've seen the past few years. Mads is definitely the definitive Hannibal in my mind after this season.

Gittes
05-30-2014, 02:30 AM
I miss this show already.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/63950a6c5c08d2a688f1b932b55320 c5/tumblr_mutw61rVAX1sq9j7oo1_128 0.jpg
http://37.media.tumblr.com/b7a7f0299772575ccc19ffeb179068 84/tumblr_mutw61rVAX1sq9j7oo2_128 0.jpg
http://31.media.tumblr.com/bead169121d94b151dff082ef4f452 88/tumblr_mutw61rVAX1sq9j7oo3_128 0.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/ffabc3031566db037d71db3971687b a5/tumblr_mutw61rVAX1sq9j7oo4_128 0.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/e641b55b1c22860371c49cf42e453d 01/tumblr_mutw61rVAX1sq9j7oo5_128 0.jpg
http://37.media.tumblr.com/66d77664a65eb09d47317e8a0c4cb2 13/tumblr_mutw61rVAX1sq9j7oo6_128 0.jpg
http://37.media.tumblr.com/04848b9b20701550cfcf557f411eaa be/tumblr_mutw61rVAX1sq9j7oo7_128 0.jpg

Acapelli
05-31-2014, 08:37 PM
https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/471012274870566912

question mark over chilton has to be a mistake

Melville
05-31-2014, 08:47 PM
https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/471012274870566912

question mark over chilton has to be a mistake
Fuller said in an interview that Chilton is definitely still alive. And Will.

Russ
10-02-2014, 11:48 PM
I'm only just now catching up on Season 2 with the blu-ray release. I binge-watched the first four episodes last night, and I just gotta say: this has got to be the best show that so few people (outside of matchcut) watch or talk about. I am AMAZED with some of the material that NBC agrees to broadcast on network television. The levels of gore and artful gruesomeness are astonishing.

Anyway, Episode 4 ended with Beverly Katz's basement confrontation. I can't wait to finish the season. I heard the finale is unreal.

I absolutely love this show. Season 1 was really, really good. Season 2 is a noticeable step up. The Lynchian elements (the imagery and especially the sound design) is insanely on-point.

And it looks like my prayers have been answered: Gillian Anderson joins the cast full-time for Season3.

Spring 2015. Hell yeah.

Kurosawa Fan
10-03-2014, 03:43 AM
I've just started season one, so I'm posting and running here. Not reading anything in the fear of spoiling myself. Just gotta say, after two episodes, I'm completely hooked. Looking forward to burning through more episodes this weekend.

Scar
10-03-2014, 11:35 AM
Enjoy!

Mara
10-03-2014, 01:02 PM
I've just started season one, so I'm posting and running here. Not reading anything in the fear of spoiling myself. Just gotta say, after two episodes, I'm completely hooked. Looking forward to burning through more episodes this weekend.

I was pretty hooked the first time I watched it, but a rewatch of season 1 made me a little obsessive. Make sure you find episode 4 "Oeuf", which was not shown on television.

Yxklyx
07-29-2020, 01:23 PM
I'm having major issues with season 2. I thought eps 3 - the trial episode was awful in lots of different ways. Also, it doesn't make sense to me that if Will thought Lecter was the manipulator/murderer that he would make those thoughts known to anyone except someone he could really trust.

Yxklyx
08-03-2020, 12:09 AM
A great season overall but I think I'm going to hold off for season 3 until the Fall.