PDA

View Full Version : House of Cards (Season 2)

Dukefrukem
02-14-2014, 01:45 PM
http://media.joe.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/House-Of-Cards.jpg

Great first episode!

slqrick
02-15-2014, 02:45 AM
As viscerally jarring as Zoe's death was, it ultimately feels like a lazy move overall. Enjoying the first few episodes so far, though. Dumping the season all at once really helps this show.

Qrazy
02-15-2014, 06:02 AM
As viscerally jarring as Zoe's death was, it ultimately feels like a lazy move overall. Enjoying the first few episodes so far, though. Dumping the season all at once really helps this show.

Happens at the end of the first season in the UK version, not sure how I feel about the shift.

Qrazy
02-15-2014, 09:24 AM
The season was pretty good, probably better than the first. I still feel though that if you look beyond the veneer of the aesthetic and the impressive performances the writing isn't as strong as the authors would have us believe. A lot of character motivations strain credulity but the show cleverly pushes us past these doubts with strong pacing. I did like the season's contemporary points of focus; cyber crime, the more general role of technology, the rising influence of China and the impact of mental illness and medication. Also, kudos to James Foley for probably his best work since Glengarry Glen Ross.

On an unrelated note there's a sex scene in here that's bound to piss off number8 to no end. You'll know it when you see it.

Dukefrukem
02-15-2014, 08:51 PM
5 Episodes in and I can't for the live of me figure out Frank's agenda here... I know he want's to be president but...

ledfloyd
02-16-2014, 09:01 PM
I finally got around to watching the first episode. I can't decide if I admire the pluck of the literal "F U" to the viewer at the end of the episode or if I'm rankled by it.

Dukefrukem
02-17-2014, 06:30 PM
And done.

Even more compelling than the first season. There were a few events that felt really inorganic to the script. Particularly some of the relationships between characters. But overall fantastic. I have a hunch that a lot of the loose ends will be quickly washed away in the first two episodes of season 3, only to bring on a slew of new ones.

Lucky
02-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Had to restart at S1 so the gf can catch up. Anticipation level high.

slqrick
02-18-2014, 05:56 PM
The season was pretty good, probably better than the first. I still feel though that if you look beyond the veneer of the aesthetic and the impressive performances the writing isn't as strong as the authors would have us believe. A lot of character motivations strain credulity but the show cleverly pushes us past these doubts with strong pacing. I did like the season's contemporary points of focus; cyber crime, the more general role of technology, the rising influence of China and the impact of mental illness and medication. Also, kudos to James Foley for probably his best work since Glengarry Glen Ross.

Pretty much agree with all of this. It's beautifully shot and the performances are great for the most part. I especially like that some of the strongest scenes involve characters that are at the fringes of the "main" story with Frank. The people working on the show clearly tailored it to be something that flows really well when marathoned, and the pacing of the show is it's strongest asset. That being said, I don't think it's top tier television, because as Qrazy said, the writing is it's weak point. I found myself bored with some of the political stuff on more than one occasion, and the characters aren't fleshed out well.

It's still an entertaining show, and it's fun to root against Frank.

Dukefrukem
03-10-2014, 04:47 PM
So I guess if you have comcast you can watch this without a Netflix subscription. Hmm.

number8
03-14-2014, 02:55 AM
On an unrelated note there's a sex scene in here that's bound to piss off number8 to no end. You'll know it when you see it.

I'm actually not sure which one you're referring to.

Dukefrukem
03-14-2014, 11:55 AM

It's gotta be the 3 way. Not the S&M.

Qrazy
03-14-2014, 02:23 PM

The 3-way because they portray it as a hedonistic, evil act.

number8
03-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Oh. Er... They did? I thought it was sweet. They had that discussion about how they couldn't fuck other people anymore now that he's VP but they're willing to make that sacrifice, even though they could tell that the other person missed it. So when they saw an opportunity they went for it for each other. I love the next morning scene ("I slept like a baby." "Good. You needed that."). Frank and Claire are awful people, but I kinda love their marriage.

Qrazy
04-11-2014, 05:44 AM
Oh. Er... They did? I thought it was sweet. They had that discussion about how they couldn't fuck other people anymore now that he's VP but they're willing to make that sacrifice, even though they could tell that the other person missed it. So when they saw an opportunity they went for it for each other. I love the next morning scene ("I slept like a baby." "Good. You needed that."). Frank and Claire are awful people, but I kinda love their marriage.

The scene is presented in an over the top fashion with ominous music playing in the background. Narratively this season they've juxtaposed her abortion with this sex act. The implication is that they are thoroughly selfish people who seek to pursue their personal desires above all else. That's what I took away from the scene.

number8
04-11-2014, 03:35 PM
I didn't notice the music, or maybe I just didn't think anything of it, mostly because every act on this show is presented with ominous music. Frank painting little figurines had ominous music. But what was the juxtaposition with the abortion? I hadn't made that connection.

number8
04-11-2014, 03:39 PM
Although to be honest, they were hinting at that for a couple of episodes before it happened and we were rooting for it to go down, so when it finally happened, we were too busy cheering it on to notice if it was presented negatively or not.

Qrazy
04-11-2014, 05:41 PM
I didn't notice the music, or maybe I just didn't think anything of it, mostly because every act on this show is presented with ominous music. Frank painting little figurines had ominous music. But what was the juxtaposition with the abortion? I hadn't made that connection.

Just that she's had all of these abortions (aside from just the rape one) and in this season she even consulted a doctor in order to put one over on her pregnant former employee. She uses sex purely as a source of personal pleasure.